It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hey everybody!

So, some of you might have heard that the Steam version of the game has been updated with a lot of stuff in it, chiefly souped-up mod support.

Do not fear! The same goodies are coming to GOG. I've got some fresh builds compiled and I just need some tester eyeballs on them before I submit them to GOG.

You can read about the details on our forum:
http://www.defendersquest.com/theforum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=242&p=4543#p4543

If you need tester credentials, PM me on the defender's quest forums or on here and I'll send you an invite. Specifically we'd like you to test the GOG version of the game, on Mac and on Windows.

Our showcase test mod, "Super Space Defenders" can be found here:
http://www.files.fortressofdoors.com/workshop/

And you can install it from inside Defender's Quest by downloading the zip, clicking the "Mods" button on the save slot screen, and pick the zip file in the file browser. Then you can play the mod!
I tried to play your test mod, but I have problems with it. I unzipped the file and put it into the 'mod' folder. Then I tried to load it and the game told me that the mod exists. Game restarted and I got the new title screen. I clicked on 'start', chose a save slot, game said 'loading...' and that's it. Game loads forever and nothing happens.

Am I doing anything wrong? Or isn't the mod supposed to work with the old version of the game?
PaterAlf: I tried to play your test mod, but I have problems with it. I unzipped the file and put it into the 'mod' folder. Then I tried to load it and the game told me that the mod exists. Game restarted and I got the new title screen. I clicked on 'start', chose a save slot, game said 'loading...' and that's it. Game loads forever and nothing happens.

Am I doing anything wrong? Or isn't the mod supposed to work with the old version of the game?
You need to be running version 1.0.96. What version are you running? If you need to get 1.0.96 from our test servers, PM me for a tester invite.
Post edited July 10, 2013 by larsiusprime
larsiusprime: You need to be running version 1.0.96. What version are you running?
On this computer 1.0.64, on the other one 1.0.73. Seems I have to wait for the new patch to come to GOG.
larsiusprime: You need to be running version 1.0.96. What version are you running?
PaterAlf: On this computer 1.0.64, on the other one 1.0.73. Seems I have to wait for the new patch to come to GOG.
Yeah, as I mentioned above, I just put out some new test builds that I'd like to test before I push the GOG builds live. Would you like to help us out? Just send me a PM.

EDIT: got your pm. Invite sent!
Post edited July 10, 2013 by larsiusprime
I'm curious, I see the game has Steam workshop support to go along with the mod support. I see we now have an update (presumably the one that was being talked about in this thread). How do we go about downloading mods other than the example one?
SirPrimalform: I'm curious, I see the game has Steam workshop support to go along with the mod support. I see we now have an update (presumably the one that was being talked about in this thread). How do we go about downloading mods other than the example one?
Quote:

Just click "mods" from the save menu, then "install from zip" and browse to the file. This will work on both the Mac and Windows versions of the game.
From the sticky :P
JudasIscariot: Quote:

Just click "mods" from the save menu, then "install from zip" and browse to the file. This will work on both the Mac and Windows versions of the game.
No, I was asking where we download mods, not how we install ones we've downloaded.

To put it another way, where are the zips for me to browse to?
JudasIscariot: Quote:

SirPrimalform: No, I was asking where we download mods, not how we install ones we've downloaded.

To put it another way, where are the zips for me to browse to?
Not sure, perhaps they will come with time?

edited for reading comprehension
Post edited July 18, 2013 by JudasIscariot
JudasIscariot: Not sure, perhaps they will come with time?

edited for reading comprehension
Yeah, it's just there are already a few on the Steam workshop so mods exist. That's why I was wondering where we get .zip versions of them...
Steam's Workshop unfortunately doesn't let regular people download mods as zips (I can do it as an admin, though).

That's really unfortunate, it feels like a lock-in strategy on their part. I suppose we could start uploading mods do something like Desura's ModDB, but then I'd be promoting another GOG competitor...

I'm not equipped to share, curate/vet/approve, and distribute mods on my own servers, so a good 3rd-party solution is definitely needed here. Of course, if GOG ever wants to get in the mod hosting game, I'd be all over that. I figure the legal and administrative burden might be kind of daunting however (why I'm not ready to do it myself yet).
Post edited July 18, 2013 by larsiusprime
larsiusprime: That's really unfortunate, it feels like a lock-in strategy on their part. I suppose we could start uploading mods do something like Desura's ModDB, but then I'd be promoting another GOG competitor...
Hmm, it is a bit lock-in-y. I might be wrong, but I think with the recent purchase of Desura by Linden Labs it's no longer actually part of the ModDB/IndieDB family. Worth looking into then because ModDB would be a good place for them...
INtense! Jul 14 2013, 12:17pm said:
As I said, give us time I believe you will see the results and be pleasantly surprised those who are wondering. The team isn't changing and ModDB / IndieDB / SlideDB are remaining independent.
From the comments on this page:
http://www.desura.com/news/open-letter-to-game-developers-on-desura-indieroyale
Post edited July 18, 2013 by SirPrimalform
larsiusprime: Steam's Workshop unfortunately doesn't let regular people download mods as zips (I can do it as an admin, though).

That's really unfortunate, it feels like a lock-in strategy on their part. I suppose we could start uploading mods do something like Desura's ModDB, but then I'd be promoting another GOG competitor...

I'm not equipped to share, curate/vet/approve, and distribute mods on my own servers, so a good 3rd-party solution is definitely needed here. Of course, if GOG ever wants to get in the mod hosting game, I'd be all over that. I figure the legal and administrative burden might be kind of daunting however (why I'm not ready to do it myself yet).
Why not try Nexus mods?

Something like this is completely third-party as far as I can tell.

Check out the Fallout 3 Nexus:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com//?
Post edited July 18, 2013 by JudasIscariot
@Judas:

Now that's an interesting idea!
larsiusprime: @Judas:

Now that's an interesting idea!
Agreed, that is a good idea. As a heavy steam user I enjoy being able to click on mods and have them auto install, but there are hoops and requirements for the mods to be on the workshop there and some mod makers would rather save themselves the trouble such that even for those on Steam Workshop you can often find newer versions of mods on some of the other nexus sites (like several for Skyrim) so it's definitely a viable alternative.