It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

So I'm having a hard time trying to understand how Cyberdecks work and can't seem to find much information. What makes a Cyberdeck better than another? I understand they're used to perform hacks but what stats should I be looking at when I'm looking to upgrade it?

Also what does RAM, Buffer Size and Slots refer to?

Post edited December 13, 2020 by JakeOfRivia93
In short - more numbers better.

RAM is the number of hacks you can perform before needing to 'recharge'.

Slots is the number of different hacks you can have loaded in your quick hacks (so when you hit tab and target people).

Buffer - I actually have no idea.
It's your spellbook for casting magic. Bigger numbers are better.

RAM is the mana you have to cast a spell (quickhacks).
Slots is the number of spells you can have active.

Buffer Size is needed for the Breach minigame. A larger buffer allow you to input longer strings.
Post edited December 13, 2020 by itsmagic2010
JakeOfRivia93: So I'm having a hard time trying to understand how Cyberdecks work and can't seem to find much information. What makes a Cyberdeck better than another? I understand they're used to perform hacks but what stats should I be looking at when I'm looking to upgrade it?

Also what does RAM, Buffer Size and Slots refer to?

RAM = The little bar of chips you see at the top of the screen when scanning. Most quick hacks will cost RAM. The more RAM you have available, the more quick hacks you can fire off in succession, and the more expensive/powerful hacks you can deploy. RAM will slowly recover back to it's full value in combat; intelligence and a couple of perks can increase the recovery rate, and it's a fairly common bonus you see applied to some decks at the higher tiers.

Buffer Size = Size of the buffer you get when breaching. Bigger buffer allows for more mistakes, or more daemons (i.e. more combinations) to be used in a single breach.

Slots = how many slots you have for quick hacks. Whenever you target an enemy in the scanner, the quick hacks available are those loaded in your deck. More slots lets you have more hacks ready to go.

When looking at a new deck, more of everything is obviously better :P I think the standard variation at a given level tends to be more RAM with less slots (so you can load fewer programs, but use them more often) or more slots with less RAM (more programs, but you'll only be able to use a couple before you need to wait). At higher tiers you can also see secondary bonuses appearing, like bonuses to upload time (how quickly your quick hack will affect the target).
Awesome thanks guys! Fully understand it now
Although my current Cyberdeck shows 2 Base Ram. But when I enter my scanner it says 6/6 available?
JakeOfRivia93: Although my current Cyberdeck shows 2 Base Ram. But when I enter my scanner it says 6/6 available?
Other mods, upgrades and cyberware can increase your ram. Base ram is the minimum if you had nothing else installed or upgraded or modded.
JakeOfRivia93: Although my current Cyberdeck shows 2 Base Ram. But when I enter my scanner it says 6/6 available?
Icinix: Other mods, upgrades and cyberware can increase your ram. Base ram is the minimum if you had nothing else installed or upgraded or modded.
It also doesn't reflect the Intelligence stat's contribution.