It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Huinehtar: IIRC, Fresh3D has been an engine provider, making and selling their own engine's license. This Outcast HD Reboot isn't made in Unity3D or another very popular and multiplatform engine (like CryEngine or UDK) actually.

They should obviously master their engine, but it wasn't made for Linux since the beginning, so I understand (for once) why they made Linux port a stretchgoal.
Ah, that makes sense, if they have to "eat their own dog food", as we say in the IT business here. On the flipside it is somewhat negative advertising for their engine, assuming this project is also intended to increase the visibility of that. It doesn't help your product stand out in the field if it's not as portable as its competition.
IAmSinistar: Ah, that makes sense, if they have to "eat their own dog food", as we say in the IT business here. On the flipside it is somewhat negative advertising for their engine, assuming this project is also intended to increase the visibility of that. It doesn't help your product stand out in the field if it's not as portable as its competition.
I agree, multiplatform engines are in the way to be a norm nowadays, but it wasn't until recently. They have perhaps focused on acquiring Outcast rights from Atari instead of anticipating Linux jump.
At least, they have the IP and are open to port to Linux.

I am quite sad that the funding campaign doesn't reach a better level for now, especially since I really want a Linux port, but I still hope a big jump until the end of the campaign.
Well if this current trend keeps going, its gonna have to be MASSIVE jump....at this rate its not going to achieve even 300 000 before the final week. I've said this time and again that the sad fact is that only so few people know about this game or this project to begin with, the only way its going to achieve 600 000 is to get new people who have never even heard about Outcast to support it and for that it needs much more attention from gaming media and the development team needs to provide more ingame content to attract the players and hopefully get that media attention. They contacted 60 major Youtube channels, but its whole different thing if any of them are interested to report about the game.

If that's not gonna happen, then the only other choice I see for this project is to fund it in 2 parts, first to create as much as they can with 300 000 for example, provide great quality, playable demo and with card to play they hopefullly would get voted in Steam Greenlight (if it still would exists, I heard that Greenlight is going to be replaced with something else) and get to early-access campaing, where they could be more succesfull with that playable demo.
Post edited April 15, 2014 by Balnazzardi
It is not looking well for the funding drive. At least we still have the original game to enjoy, and perhaps the team behind the redo can regather their efforts and come up with a better second plan, should this one continue towards where it seems to be headed.
Well, Kicktraq still says they'll reach their goal. If they can keep the pace it will do (the final 72h should bring the remaining money requuired).

But updates lack something currently. There's not much really interesting in those...
IAmSinistar: It is not looking well for the funding drive. At least we still have the original game to enjoy, and perhaps the team behind the redo can regather their efforts and come up with a better second plan, should this one continue towards where it seems to be headed.
No, I really hope that is not the case as it would be really sad if they don't reach their goal :(. Essentially it would also mean that people are just not interested enough in the property which will never lead to a sequel for the fans of the original game.
sebarnolds: Well, Kicktraq still says they'll reach their goal. If they can keep the pace it will do (the final 72h should bring the remaining money requuired).
Except the trending is more precipitous. Unless that flattens in accord with the funding curve, it will likely plunge below the goal sometime before the weekend.

I'm not saying they can't make it, nor that there won't be an 11th hour surge. Simply that the current pattern does not bode well.

EDIT: I notice they just reinstated the $20 pledge level. That's good for folks who can't support at a higher threshold.
Post edited April 15, 2014 by IAmSinistar
New screenshots look so kewl ^^

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/outcast-reboot-hd/outcast-reboot-hd/posts/810818

@ShadowWulfe Well, I at least appreciate their optimism! They certainly have ideas of what do to.
Post edited April 15, 2014 by cmdr_flashheart
Argh, I just realized how delusional the stretch goal sounds.
To be honest it looks like they are in a position where even if they don't secure the $600,000, then they will just make it anyway.
Old_Speccer: To be honest it looks like they are in a position where even if they don't secure the $600,000, then they will just make it anyway.
Seems that way to me too. If they are reusing so many of the existing game assets, and they already have the tools to import the old terrain into the new engine, then they are a good distance of the way on the task now.
IAmSinistar: Seems that way to me too. If they are reusing so many of the existing game assets, and they already have the tools to import the old terrain into the new engine, then they are a good distance of the way on the task now.
Correct me if I am wrong but the way Kickstarter works if they don't reach their goal then they won't get any money, so I don't see how they will still make the game if they don't reach 600K.
stg83: Correct me if I am wrong but the way Kickstarter works if they don't reach their goal then they won't get any money, so I don't see how they will still make the game if they don't reach 600K.
Getting this funding isn't the only way they can make the game. They can turn to other, more traditional funding sources, or even just do it themselves "on spec" with the hope of recouping the costs later. Just because they have a somewhat pie-in-the-sky Plan A doesn't mean they can't fall back to Plan B. Especially with so much of the work already done.
IAmSinistar: Getting this funding isn't the only way they can make the game. They can turn to other, more traditional funding sources, or even just do it themselves "on spec" with the hope of recouping the costs later. Just because they have a somewhat pie-in-the-sky Plan A doesn't mean they can't fall back to Plan B. Especially with so much of the work already done.
But, if they were ever capable to do it on spec why did they set such a huge initial goal of 600K on Kickstarter in the first place. More traditional funding sources would be publishers and I don't think the big ones would be that interested in investing in an HD remake of a cult classic PC only game from the 90s hence the whole reason for coming to KS in the first place. The other option could be Steam Early Access like the guys making Carmageddon Reincarnation are doing, but I really don't like that model because some games are just stuck there for years on end before seeing the light of day. I am not trying to pessimistic but just curious as I would still very much like them to make the game any way they can.
stg83: But, if they were ever capable to do it on spec why did they set such a huge initial goal of 600K on Kickstarter in the first place. More traditional funding sources would be publishers and I don't think the big ones would be that interested in investing in an HD remake of a cult classic PC only game from the 90s hence the whole reason for coming to KS in the first place. The other option could be Steam Early Access like the guys making Carmageddon Reincarnation are doing, but I really don't like that model because some games are just stuck there for years on end before seeing the light of day. I am not trying to pessimistic but just curious as I would still very much like them to make the game any way they can.
The rise of Kickstarter and similar sites has created a kind of goldrush mentality unfortunately, wherein developers and inventors see it as the easy path to getting funding. It is far less risky (to them) than more conventional funding sources, and when they see the huge amounts that some projects bring in, they become unrealistically optimistic about their own chances (as well as their own budgets).

Clearly they have done a lot of work on the redo already, and they are leveraging a huge amount of pre-existing assets that most game projects would have to create from scratch - models, skeletal animations, voice acting, musical score, even the game flow and design, all of this is done already. There is no reason they couldn't produce a beta version of the redo using these assets and have that become the foundation for a new funding scheme. The idea that Kickstarter alone can save this project is delusional to an almost religious degree, and I for one hope the devs don't fall prey to that fallacy.