It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

In our first GOG 2022 update article, among many things we plan this year, we’ve mentioned we’ll keep on working to make the GOG GALAXY client more dynamic and interesting for users. Today we’d like to invite you to help us test the first update out of many, that we hope will help us achieve this goal.

With the Proteus update, you can feel like at home with the introduction of a new, experimental feature: customising the “Recent” view to your needs. Now you can add or remove widgets and move them around to your liking, and create a completely personalised experience that is tailor fit for you.

To get access to this update, first you need to go to your settings, enter the “General” section and tick the “Experimental features and updates” box.

It’s the first batch of the client customization options we have planned, so let us know how you like it!

To make it easier for you to share your opinions, and for us to listen and gather your comments about the features we’re testing, we’re introducing the experimental features feedback form. It will automatically show up triggered by actions you make in the client.

Once we test the performance of the new feature, gather feedback from you and apply needed fixes, we will release the Proteus update to all GOG GALAXY users.
arrua: Both.

I remember that the offline installer of Divinity: Original Sin doesn´t work well due to a patch that broke it, for example. The game cannot be played.

I can´t find the thread with the list of games whose offline installers are broken or outdated.
ZubatyZub: Is it still broken? You only said you remember it.
I don´t own that game, so I can´t tell for sure. And I can´t find the thread with the list of games.

Apparently it is also an issue with Original Sin 2.

https://www.gog.com/forum/divinity_original_sin_2/unable_to_launch_the_game_since_last_update
high rated
arrua: It would be nice if offline installers got some love too. There are a bunch of them that are broken and have been broken for years.
MarkoH01: Actually "broken" or "simply" outdated?
Both:-

Divinity Original Sin has had a significant bug introduced since the two patches that added Chinese and Korean languages. Although it's half the developer's fault for introducing it and not fixing it, it's also half GOG's fault as they could (as developer recommends) provide an older bug-free offline installer version to those who don't need Korean or Chinese languages support (as they do for Galaxy users with "rollback"), but instead actively refuse to do so, responding with "just use Galaxy" which is no fix at all for the only (buggy) offline installer version they provide.

Saints Row 3 Remastered is even more broken in that the in-game settings have been hard-coded to the Galaxy API (for no good reason), and fails to save settings at all in the offline installers. GOG have been "investigating" for almost 10 months now with zero resolution or seemingly intent to get the developers to fix them (caused by the Galaxy API in the first place)...

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition (Linux version) is missing 2x files (libssl.so.1.0.0 and libcrypto.so.1.0.0) and needs updating. Obviously "just use Galaxy" (for Linux) isn't even an excuse with this one...

So it would indeed be nice if GOG actually started to fix several verified broken installers and improved things for all users, before continuing down the path of "Here at GOG we have two types of users - Galaxy users and 'Second Class Experience' (tm)"...
Post edited March 30, 2022 by AB2012
low rated
nightcraw1er.488: Its hardly like you can download games from here anymore without their "optional" client. Or did all the online gated stuff suddenly become offline, or gwent, or did we get the option of using older installers/patches, or was multiplayer suddenly open sourced, or did they provide parity with galaxy installers, what about properly compressed archives or changelogs, or not forcing linking to galaxy.dll (even for older games)?
vv221: The situation here is not pretty, but a lot games are still fully DRM-free. The real issue I have is that we still have no way to filter out the DRMed ones when browsing the store.

GOG is not a good store, it’s full of DRMed features and vendor lock-in schemes hidden behind poor excuses like « It does no count if it is multiplayer. » or « It does not count if it is cosmetic. ». But it is one of the few options we have for buying DRM-free games, so I am not ready to give up on it yet.

That of course does not mean that I am happy with their direction, so I’m going to both keep buying and keep complaining. Until things improve (then I’ll quit complaining) or get worse (and I’ll quit buying).

nightcraw1er.488: TBH I am thinking the steam client is less and less of an issue
vv221: I do not ;)
The day it becomes the only option is the day I’m quitting video games shopping for good.
I used to agree, but times are changing. Everything is becoming rental, hardware, software, tv, music, money, even your own thoughts and memories are no longer yours. Nothing is owned. I am too tired of it to be bothered anymore.
low rated
You should add a profile like the one on Steam, with the statistics, the total percentage of achievements, hours played....
Matthew94: I can't believe this still isn't implemented. Did they expect their customers to retag hundreds of games? I'm still on 1.2.67 for this very reason.
cmclout: How have you managed to remain on Galaxy 1.2.67? GOG force-upgraded me shortly after 2.0 was released, and yes, lack of tag support is one of the most frustrating things about it. The next most frustrating thing is probably that you cannot select a game in your library and then use the keyboard arrow keys to navigate through the list.
The main thing is just to delete galaxyupdater.exe. There's a guide here but without the updater GOG won't be able to grab the 2.0 client.

1.2.67 still works 100% fine and it does everything I need it to.
low rated
GameReadyS: You should add a profile like the one on Steam, with the statistics, the total percentage of achievements, hours played....
That already exists though...
Reglisse: The good news for Linux users is nothing is gated with online only features ^^
Indeed. :D

SpikedWallMan: 2. Linux support. Seriously. It's inexcusable for the launcher written by the "champions of DRM-free" to not support the world's most common open-source OS.
And of course the Linux version should be open source. Knowing GOG this most likely won't happen. So I'm happy without a Galaxy client on Linux.

joppo: To be fair, there have been plenty of cases where a game that has native Linux versions elsewhere comes here without them and the excuse is the lack of a Galaxy client to provide the same features (like multiplayer) or "features" (like achievements) that the Windows version has.
That's often a dummy excuse. Galaxy-based multiplayer isn't a good option for DRM-free games anyway. Disabling it is no loss. And achievements could be saved locally, so that's also not a real problem. Both requires low effort from developers and is better than having no Linux version at all on GOG.

vv221: My point is that you can not download/install any Steam game without using their mandatory client (or SteamCMD, that is some proprietary client provided by Valve too), making these effectively unusable by people who do not want to submit to vendor lock-in schemes.
SteamCMD is open source. So the download interface is open and not really a lock-in. Having offline installers of course would be better. But even on GOG it would be a pain to get the offline installers without the community-provided download managers.
Post edited March 31, 2022 by eiii
eiii: SteamCMD is open source.
I’ve been looking for its licence but could not find anything. I could not find its source code either.
Are you sure that it is really open source, and that you are not confusing it with some unofficial download client?
Berzerk2k2: New in library < Another useless thing. I don't need a list of games I've bought recently. I know what I've bought because I payed money for that stuff.
My goodness, finally! We've been adsking for a long time to order games by purchase date and finally this gets close to it. This is the main improvement for me. We all have different needs :) Also, sometimes you add plenty of demos and want to find them, but can't remember the names and their lost in the library. And you wouldn't have payed money for THAT stuff! Me being me, I might not remember or type in the wrong way the name of a game I have just bought. In particular when words have original (sensational) spellings.
joppo: To be fair, there have been plenty of cases where a game that has native Linux versions elsewhere comes here without them and the excuse is the lack of a Galaxy client to provide the same features (like multiplayer) or "features" (like achievements) that the Windows version has.
eiii: That's often a dummy excuse. Galaxy-based multiplayer isn't a good option for DRM-free games anyway. Disabling it is no loss. And achievements could be saved locally, so that's also not a real problem. Both requires low effort from developers and is better than having no Linux version at all on GOG.
Yes, but neither of us make the rules. We just play the cards we are dealt.

What you're saying is "low effort" is not reasonable to ask of the developers. Assume a game that has been released for Windows with achievements, cloud saves, MP, the whole shebang. There was work done to put all that stuff which then sends calls to Galaxy's API at the right times: create a savegame file and transfer it to the cloud, display popup that achievement #184372 was reached, etc.

Now you're saying that devs should work to recreate all that stuff in another way when Gog could just release a galaxy client for Linux and its API would be responsible to capture and answer the same calls that the galaxy client for Windows deals with. I understand if devs refuse to do all that work they went through for Gog a second time. Factor in the number of games and you'll see that the work needed for a Galaxy client that solves all that is infinitely smaller.
Post edited March 31, 2022 by joppo
low rated
Matthew94: 1.2.67 still works 100% fine and it does everything I need it to.
Likewise. But...how long until GOG releases an announcement that says they are closing down support for Galaxy 1.2? I predict that GOG is going to do that sooner or later.

And that means it's very important that GOG starts to make an option now for Galaxy 2.0 to have a mode where it emulates Galaxy 1.2 100% identically.

I would loathe to be forced to use Galaxy 2.0 as is since I cannot stand it. And the option "just don't use Galaxy" doesn't work for me either, since I like to use Cloud Saves and Achievements and game-time tracking.
low rated
Thanks Galaxy team, keep them coming.
low rated
GameReadyS: You should add a profile like the one on Steam, with the statistics, the total percentage of achievements, hours played....
ZubatyZub: That already exists though...
But it is not integrated in gog galaxy even though many users have requested it.
ZubatyZub: That already exists though...
GameReadyS: But it is not integrated in gog galaxy even though many users have requested it.
Of course it is integrated in Galaxy. One of the points of a client is that kind of stuff
I've just read this thread looking for some clue that a Linux client was in the offing, but with all the seeming fluff and integration issues experienced by Windows users I've decided that I don't really want a Galaxy Client for Linux after all. I'm happy with what I've got and how it works. Its pretty straight forward for me to just download a game and play it, bugger the telemetry.