It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Kind of annoyed by this, as due to some poor support here by some devs in general, I can already see this being used as an excuse by devs to not make or support DRM free versions of their games.

"BRO, YOU CAN TOTALLY BUY OUR GAME THROUGH GOG, WHAT'S THE PROBLEM? :^)" as they sell some denuvo-using EGS version through Galaxy.

I know things have been building somewhat for years, and I don't really want to jump on the doom and gloom train since GOG was probably my first digital storefront and the one I've tried to primarily support, but the general shift in business feels like them trying to be Steam 2 Electric Boogaloo, and if I already have Steam and there's a general shift away from DRM free (or taking the "Well that all depends on how you define DRM :^)" stance) what's the point in supporting GOG? I don't have enough brand loyalty towards CDPR and GOG alone to support them for the company's sake.
low rated
A bunch of people: "Noooooo GOG is dead! They abandoned their DRM-free approach! Burn the witch burn the witch!"

A few hours later:
* Mount & Blade II releases
* Silent Hill 4 releases
* The Talos Principle releases

Welp, either the DRM-free principle of GOG is still alive, or I just witnessed Juche Necromancy at its finest. Not too bad either way.
high rated
MatchaKitsunebi: A bunch of people: "Noooooo GOG is dead! They abandoned their DRM-free approach! Burn the witch burn the witch!"

A few hours later:
* Silent Hill 4 releases

Welp, either the DRM-free principle of GOG is still alive, or I just witnessed Juche Necromancy at its finest. Not too bad either way.
Or option C, you missed the nuances of the situation. That while there are DRM-free offline installers and big releases now in the present day, the move to sell Epic games here bodes very poorly for both arriving here in the future, other than perhaps older big games (like Silent Hill 4...which btw may be the release of the year if you ask me, I have waited years to get it here DRM-free).

Also, no one is on a "witch hunt". There are people complaining in these topics about a non-existent "witch hunt" yet no "witchhunters". Almost as though it's a weak tactic to stifle discussion.
high rated
MatchaKitsunebi: A bunch of people: "Noooooo GOG is dead! They abandoned their DRM-free approach! Burn the witch burn the witch!"

A few hours later:
* Silent Hill 4 releases

A bunch of game release that were already underway has no bearing on the long term damage the Epic deal could likely cause once it kicks off.

Also they're willfully selling a DRM'd single player game with No Man's Sky, so yeah.
As long as GOG continues to provide what I want I'll keep shopping here. :)
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/decouple_gog_galaxy_from_gogcom_and_make_its_own_separate_thing

"Brand-wise as well in regards to the principles whereby each of the entities operate. <br /> <br /> It's unacceptable that GOG Galaxy, both by brand-association as well as in the way it operates within the GOG.com framework is clearly and unambiguously violating the core principle of DRM-free games."
Breja: Not that I expect anything could convince you that something is rotten in the state of GOG.
I've said many times there are reasons to be concerned. I just don't jump straight to the negative ASAP. Even the post you're quoting says if they make them seem like GOG purchases it's bad, and that they're obviously transitioning to the client being their big draw. What else do I need to do? Run around with my arms in the air saying the sky is falling?

Even if GOG went full Steam tomorrow, as long as the 600ish games I own here remain DRM free with offline installers I will be happy they held out against the tide as long as they did.
low rated
it was going to happen eventually. Time to suck it up and get on with life.
high rated
It baffles me how many here don't understand the brisance of this change.
This is by far the worst decision GOG has ever made. It's worse than ditching regional prices, worse than introducing Galaxy, worse than shipping the latter in installers, worse than anything. They simply give up their core principle, the only core principle thats left after 12 years, the principle that is the foundation of their existence, the source of their reputation: DRM-freedom.
Until now GOG made money only by selling DRM-free games, the reason why whe love and respect them as a company. Obviously they don't use the money anymore for the website, forum software or offline installers. Instead they focus solely on a client (which by itself is a drm-friendly concept, but thats another story...), that will allow the purchase of non-DRM-free games. Yes, you heard right. Galaxy isn't just a harmless game launcher anymore, it's becoming a bying platform for other competing stores. Stores that mostly don't give a shit about DRM-freedom. Think about it: GOG will sell DRM-ed games (with money-back guarantee!) via their client for a few bucks. This is the final surrender, an incredible prostitution.
While Galaxy, as an ultimate launcher with GOG-store integration, might have brought a few people to GOG.com, this move will lead to the opposite effect. Why should new customers even bother? Developers have no incentive anymore to bring drm-free games to GOG, since GOG obviously only cares about Galaxy and Galaxy no longer cares about the GOG store.
GOGs business plan is changing from a DRM-free games seller to merely a key-store for other stores.
Galaxy may survive, but GOG.com will not.

How can anyone, who is a faithful GOG customer, not be upset about this?
News reached /v/
tfishell: Didn't DRM-free GOG "die" like 2 years into the business when they started selling multiplayer that required CD keys? (whenever this started; I bought Far Cry here in 2010 and it required a CD key for multiplayer)

Also, we can scream and wail and crawl in our skin to the high heavens on the forum, but that's basically just preaching to the choir isn't it?
Truth007: That ins't drm.
Mugiwarah: Galaxy is optional, as long as you can download offline installer, GOG still DRM Free. Ang giving you the option to buy is a good thing for those who use Galaxy so they can buy games without switching client or going to the website of the store.
Truth007: Those specific games wont have installers, they use the epic client.
And they aren't GOG games, you can buy them frop other store and add them in the store library not your GOG library.

As long as they keep the games from their store DRM FREE it's good, this is just an option that you can ignore even if you use the Galaxy client. Offline installer are still there for the full DRM FREE.
Post edited October 03, 2020 by Mugiwarah
high rated
While I feel saying "GOG is dead" is jumping the gun, I feel like GOG is really playing with fire here. Unless they have info we're not privy to, I don't see how this arrangement benefits GOG or it's customers.

As long as they keep selling DRM-free games, I probably won't jump ship, but you better believe I'll keep my ear to the ground on this.
Soooo, how many doom and gloom threads do we need?
RawSteelUT: Soooo, how many doom and gloom threads do we need?
Give or take 27.
RawSteelUT: Soooo, how many doom and gloom threads do we need?
ALL of them, since the only happiness we get now is self-pity.