It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Take a deep dive into a title rooted in Chinese history and mythology.
Genre: RPG
Discount: 30% off until 7th February 2022
GOG.com: Take a deep dive into a title rooted in Chinese history and mythology.
@GOG - Could you please investigate why the two free DLCs (Afterglow of Mohists & 30th Anniversary Special Pack) aren't available for download? I can't select them inside Galaxy and there are no offline installers as well! Another issue: The game has invisible achievements.
Attachments:
screen1.jpg (92 Kb)
screen2.jpg (40 Kb)
screen3.jpg (48 Kb)
Well, this is a surprise, I now get to take this off of my steam wishlist! Thanks for bringing this over here, don't ever stop with these releases, more AA games please!
TZODnmr2k5: Well, this is a surprise, I now get to take this off of my steam wishlist! Thanks for bringing this over here, don't ever stop with these releases, more AA games please!
Ya more AA games are good in my mind Indies A and AA games in general are better then AAA games so I say keep the A and AA coming
TZODnmr2k5: Well, this is a surprise, I now get to take this off of my steam wishlist! Thanks for bringing this over here, don't ever stop with these releases, more AA games please!
BanditKeith2: Ya more AA games are good in my mind Indies A and AA games in general are better then AAA games so I say keep the A and AA coming
While there is still room for AAA in this store, my main love has always been AA/indies as that is what the bulk of my library consists of!
BanditKeith2: Ya more AA games are good in my mind Indies A and AA games in general are better then AAA games so I say keep the A and AA coming
TZODnmr2k5: While there is still room for AAA in this store, my main love has always been AA/indies as that is what the bulk of my library consists of!
Indeed but my love and view of A and AA games over AAA games is A and AA games are like the Indie and pseudo indies of the regular gaming market as they are more creative and not near as formulaic as companies can afford duds and not selling as good as hoped lower budget games.. where as AAA games are so formulatic in general anymore its a ''paint by numbers'' scenario as a safe bet to get a return in cash.. So my reasoning is that Indies,a and AA games have far more a creative and passion factor aswell as far more different factor to them then most AAA games..

Whatever the case back onto the topic of this game I actually wouldn't mind more games like this one showing up as its different way different then the usual stuff popping up
Looks pretty darn cool!

Hadn't heard about this one - anyone feel like giving a quick rundown / impressions / thoughts after picking it up and playing it?
BanditKeith2: Indeed but my love and view of A and AA games over AAA games is A and AA games are like the Indie and pseudo indies of the regular gaming market as they are more creative and not near as formulaic as companies can afford duds and not selling as good as hoped lower budget games.. where as AAA games are so formulatic in general anymore its a ''paint by numbers'' scenario as a safe bet to get a return in cash.. So my reasoning is that Indies,a and AA games have far more a creative and passion factor aswell as far more different factor to them then most AAA games..

Whatever the case back onto the topic of this game I actually wouldn't mind more games like this one showing up as its different way different then the usual stuff popping up
Agreed, I cannot see this industry without them, sure one out of ten AAA games may have merit, but it pales in comparison to the 9 out of 10 A/AA being definite wins! Hopefully Gog will reflect this going forward!
GOG.com: ...
btw, how about the Object Software's "Prince of Qin" that Strategy First recently brought to Steam?
Ixamyakxim: Looks pretty darn cool!

Hadn't heard about this one - anyone feel like giving a quick rundown / impressions / thoughts after picking it up and playing it?
It's a AA RPG. Your main character is a hunter who comes into posession of a scroll that teaches him to do magic. Or rather, it transports him to a pocket dimension, where someone else teches him to do magic.

Primarily, you hack things with your sword. Basic light attacks, or a heavy attack from one of the 4 martial arts disciplines you learn as the game progresses. attacks take stamina- when you're out of stamina you're not paralyzed, but you move very slowly.
If you spam heavy attack enough, you level up the corresponding martial art. When you go through all 4 or 5 levels, you unlock an ultimate skill. You can cycle between 2 ultimates during gameplay, but to switch to different ones, you need to go to the menu.
You also gain 2 companions as the game progresses, who fight alongside you on their own, but also have a skill you can use. Doing a quest for each of them can unlock an alternative skill- these don't need to be levelled, and are available on a cooldown.

There are also several monsters you can defeat and "capture", who can become one of your 2 combat styles, but at the expense of one of the martial arts stances. Or you can have 2 protector skills and no stances, up to you. You can craft/improve weapons and armor for your characters- these chage stats, but not really the character models, which was a missed opportunity, imho. You can also craft buffs that synergize with certain skills, and each character can equip up to 2 "accessories" to boost stats or resistances. It's not a super-robust system, but it suffices.

It's an RPG that's comparable to the Witcher 2- same wide corridor levels with some side-paths with loot; but here it's one contiguous map- only the dungeon areas require a loading screen.

in the main map, you talk to people, get quests, trade, and kill stuff. In the dungeons you solve puzzles (each one has an option to "skip" if you're not into that) and then kill stuff. The story revolves around primarily around trying to cure your sister, who was hurt by an evel spirit that took it hostage against the antagonist. - it's not bad, but nothing special. things get a bit more "epic" later on, but it's got that "the protagonist is caught in somethign bigger than him and he just wants to get out of it intact" feel-you are very much a reluctant hero, and this dynamic gets some neat chaacter development. Has a fun minigame, "Chinese Chess", I enjoyed that.

The downsides include really slow pacing in Act 1- the demo makes the game feel a lot more dynamic, but in the actual game you spend the first few hours fighting mostly wolves. There's an okay amount of enemy variety, but visually they tend to be either grey/purple undead/monsters, or Jade-green enemy soldiers. In this sense, the game feels less varied than it is. Encounters in the late game can be a bit grindy- there's no quicksave, just checkpoints, and you may have 3 or 4 encounters between checkpoints, so this can get annoying.
The game is voiced in Chinese with subtitiles. I caught a few minor errors, but overall, the translation makes sense (not sure how accurate, cuz I don't speak Chinese). But if you're not into subtitles, guess that's another thing to watch out for.
I could remap all controls, except "Enter" was hardcoded to the game menu. That was a bit annoying.

Overall, though, it's a fun game (took me 80 hours to get 95% of Steam achievements in a single run). Just don't go in expecting a AAA blockbuster, and you should enjoy it for what it is.
I had a few brief hours playing the other day. It’s linear, you walk from one cutscene to the next. Sometimes there are some wolves on the way. Dialog gotannoying very quickly so I started skipping it. Combat consists of mashing the button. Graphically quite pretty. Save points only appear once in a while again highly annoying. As I say didn’t play long, got bored and moved on, it’s not bad, just nothing particularly special about it.
I'm very glad this is here, and I'm hoping this means that we'll see the Legend of Sword and Fairy / Chinese Paladin games here in the future. I see that the English translated first game is available on the Internet Archive, but I don't know how legit that is. I bought this game, but I think I'm gonna sit on it till I get a new graphics card so I can run this with ray tracing on and all graphics settings maxed out.
GOG.com: Take a deep dive into a title rooted in Chinese history and mythology.
Hustlefan: @GOG - Could you please investigate why the two free DLCs (Afterglow of Mohists & 30th Anniversary Special Pack) aren't available for download? I can't select them inside Galaxy and there are no offline installers as well! Another issue: The game has invisible achievements.
The DLCs are present in the game (please do not worry that they are missing from GOG GALAXY - this is as intended) and I have just rechecked this with our QA department. There has indeed been an issue with the achievements which should now be resolved.
If the DLCs are still not present in your game or you are experiencing difficulties with your Achievements please get in touch with us directly and I will be more than happy to help.
Hustlefan: @GOG - Could you please investigate why the two free DLCs (Afterglow of Mohists & 30th Anniversary Special Pack) aren't available for download? I can't select them inside Galaxy and there are no offline installers as well! Another issue: The game has invisible achievements.
Falran: The DLCs are present in the game (please do not worry that they are missing from GOG GALAXY - this is as intended) and I have just rechecked this with our QA department. There has indeed been an issue with the achievements which should now be resolved.
If the DLCs are still not present in your game or you are experiencing difficulties with your Achievements please get in touch with us directly and I will be more than happy to help.
Isn't it kind of redundant to offer the additional content as separate free DLC when it's already included with the base game then?
W3irdN3rd: Screenshots appear to be Chinese though, not sure that's a good idea on a site with mostly not-Chinese customers.
Fully agree on this, though they seem to be exactly the same screenshots that you can see on Steam, probably provided by the publishers. There used to be a time when GOG made their own screenshots, or maybe it was just because those games were so old that publishers had no material ready for them? It's a pity though that GOG doesn't even seem to care about the quality of the screenshots anymore. Check Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain and you'll see some crisp ones next to some low quality ones. Stuff like that looks unprofessional and is rather off-putting to customers (all the more if highly sought after titles like this get such a sloppy treatment on release).
Post edited February 07, 2022 by Leroux
Falran: The DLCs are present in the game (please do not worry that they are missing from GOG GALAXY - this is as intended) and I have just rechecked this with our QA department.
Thank you for the answer. But you should ask your QA department, why there are separate store pages for that content. I guess, this wasn't intended?!

Falran: There has indeed been an issue with the achievements which should now be resolved.
Yes, the achievements are visible now. Thanks!
While we're on it, could you please fix the exact same issue for the following games as well?

- XCOM: Chimera Squad
- Growing Up
- The Silent Age
- Devil's Hunt
- HordeCore: Training Ground
- Silver Chains
- London Detective Mysteria
- The Amazing American Circus
- Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf - Complete Edition
Post edited February 07, 2022 by Hustlefan