It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The league of extraordinary explorers.

<span class="bold">The Curious Expedition</span>, a roguelike simulation of braving the fantastic perils of 19th century explorers, is available now DRM-free on GOG.com for Windows, Mac and Linux, with a 15% launch discount.

Mosquitos, famine, quicksand, overgrown kitties, cannibals, ancient booby traps - the explorer's trade is full of marvelous occurrences. But it's the promise of riches, undiscovered wonders, and thrilling adventure that keeps these fearless individuals going. Now this intoxicating fever has gripped you too and there is only one cure for it.

Much like these illustrious trailblazers of old, developers Maschinen-Mensch have been on a journey that constantly shifted and expanded as the development of The Curious Expedition marched on. While the game was In Development new locations, units, perks, and items as well as several functionality improvements became available for all fearless explorers to discover.

Slip into your safari shorts and embark on the procedurally-generated <span class="bold">The Curious Expedition</span>, malaria and DRM-free on GOG.com. The 15% discount will last until September 9, 5:59 PM UTC.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/sS9pbJ6HYao
Post edited September 02, 2016 by maladr0Id
low rated
0Grapher: If the devs have the same mindset that's another reason not to buy the game.
jamotide: Huh? That would be a good reason to buy the game!
I don't agree, it's definitely a reason not to buy the game for me.
If you can't stop saving and reloading even though you don't want to, you might have a serious problem. You might want to look into going into therapy.
phaolo: Thanks. I didn't mean biomes or destinations, but it's good if they're adding more.
I just hope that these content updates come in the form of free DLC rather than paid ones.

phaolo: I thought that the game ended after only 3-5 "maps", but maybe I remember wrong.
Oh, you mean expeditions; yes, the game ends after six expeditions (levels), which get more & more difficult as you play, although this isn't the case everytime -- i've been lucky enough to find the golden pyramid very close to were my ship was, although this isn't always a good thing since through exploration you can find precious artifacts to sell for money or fame. Ultimately, best scores depend on the risks you're willing to take.
0Grapher: I don't agree, it's definitely a reason not to buy the game for me.
If the devs have the same mindset as me, then that is a reason to buy!

0Grapher: If you can't stop saving and reloading even though you don't want to, you might have a serious problem. You might want to look into going into therapy.
I think that is a bit harsh, dude. They can still backup the savefile of a roguelike and save the therapy money.
low rated
jamotide: If the devs have the same mindset as me, then that is a reason to buy!
No, it isn't. "If the devs have the same mindset as [you], then that is a reason [for you] to buy!" (Therapy might still be a good idea because you'll finally be able to enjoy games such as 7 cities as much as you could enjoy them)
My point was that you are doing the opposite of convincing (at least some) people who are against perma-death that roguelik/-tes aren't flawed by design. Your response has a pretty similar effect.

0Grapher: If you can't stop saving and reloading even though you don't want to, you might have a serious problem. You might want to look into going into therapy.
jamotide: I think that is a bit harsh, dude. They can still backup the savefile of a roguelike and save the therapy money.
That doesn't make any sense... What I wrote was about compulsory reloaders who can't manage to break their habit that they themselves consider cheating. If those people consider it a flaw that games allow them to do something that they don't have to do then they have a problem in my opinion.

The possibility of backing up your save files doesn't have anything to do with my statement but I have an opinion on that as well: It's great that you can still do that but it is a flaw of the game that you have to do it if you want to keep your save files. Sometimes the games artificially make it harder for you to back up saves and that is an even bigger flaw.
I understand if devs want to make an iron man mode the default option but not giving you another option is something I do not agree with. Also, I have to wonder if the success of these roguelites (that I sometimes even like in spite of them being what they are - some have redeeming factors) means that there are going to be almost inaccessible save files in the future because accessible save files make "savegame abuse" possible.
Post edited September 03, 2016 by 0Grapher
Fairfox: No FLAC-y OST edition? Steam has teh soundtrack. Deffo want this at some point :)
I found it on bandcamp for the same price: https://selbstserum.bandcamp.com/album/the-curious-expedition-original-soundtrack

Also has one more song than the Steam OST (if the store page is up to date).
deleted
0Grapher: No, it isn't. "If the devs have the same mindset as [you], then that is a reason [for you] to buy!"
That's what we both said until you made it about you. It's always about you isn't it? How about some therapy for that, huh?

0Grapher: (Therapy might still be a good idea because you'll finally be able to enjoy games such as 7 cities as much as you could enjoy them)
I can enjoy them, what makes you think otherwise?

0Grapher: My point was that you are doing the opposite of convincing (at least some) people who are against perma-death that roguelik/-tes aren't flawed by design. Your response has a pretty similar effect.
How so? How has that been your point? Maybe you want that to be your point now because so far your posts have been nonsensical.

0Grapher: That doesn't make any sense... What I wrote was about compulsory reloaders who can't manage to break their habit that they themselves consider cheating. If those people consider it a flaw that games allow them to do something that they don't have to do then they have a problem in my opinion.
Yeah THAT makes no sense. Nobody except you has talked about someone like that. Nobody has mentioned such people here. That is why I mocked you for your strange statement.

0Grapher: The possibility of backing up your save files doesn't have anything to do with my statement but I have an opinion on that as well: It's great that you can still do that but it is a flaw of the game that you have to do it if you want to keep your save files. Sometimes the games artificially make it harder for you to back up saves and that is an even bigger flaw.
Most of hese games are designed in such a way that you do not need to save and reload. A round of FTL or Curious Expedition takes an hour on average. There is no need to save and reload. The possibility to do it anyway is not a flaw. It's a workaround for people who are bad at strategy and are incapable of learning the game to eventually win consistently. It is nothing to be ashamed of.
I am terrible at jumpnruns, but I can still have fun with them with cheats.
But on the other hand I don't go around complaining about how hard/unfair/whatever jumpnruns are or that you can't save and reload before a hard part because I realise that I am just bad at them. It is also not beneath me to abuse the WinUAE savestate system to eventually see the endgame of Rainbow Islands and Giana Sisters.

0Grapher: I understand if devs want to make an iron man mode the default option but not giving you another option is something I do not agree with. Also, I have to wonder if the success of these roguelites (that I sometimes even like in spite of them being what they are - some have redeeming factors) means that there are going to be almost inaccessible save files in the future because accessible save files make "savegame abuse" possible.
If that is possible then by not making the savefiles inaccessible they are giving you another option. Depriving yourself of the game because it is beneath you to use a trick to save is silly, almost idiotic. That is why I will keep informing people about this possibility, many just don't know about it.
easy level is pretty easy btw.... normal can be easier or harder based on a bit of luck (but usually good or bad choices factor in). I haven't played again since they added hard so I can't comment. You can save and quit. (Nice for when life factors in). I don't think they added multiple save slots to redo turns but the way the game plays, I don't think there necessary (and I am one who normally likes to save often to go back to fix mistakes on longer games. I don't remember the save system on 7 Cities of Gold/Heart of Africa so not sure how different that is. Still a fan of this one...
low rated
0Grapher: No, it isn't. "If the devs have the same mindset as [you], then that is a reason [for you] to buy!"
jamotide: That's what we both said until you made it about you. It's always about you isn't it? How about some therapy for that, huh?
It's not about me. As I said, it's about you (both in the sense of "one" and "you" because that's what you said).
0Grapher: (Therapy might still be a good idea because you'll finally be able to enjoy games such as 7 cities as much as you could enjoy them)
jamotide: I can enjoy them, what makes you think otherwise?
Obviously you enjoy them, otherwise my post wouldn't have made sense. You explained why you like this game by comparing it to a game you like that allows reloading in order to avoid consequences, which you apparently did not approve of.
0Grapher: My point was that you are doing the opposite of convincing (at least some) people who are against perma-death that roguelik/-tes aren't flawed by design. Your response has a pretty similar effect.
jamotide: How so? How has that been your point? Maybe you want that to be your point now because so far your posts have been nonsensical.
So: Maxvorstadt says he doesn't like the premise of the game - you explain why it is good - I respond that if the devs agree with your reasoning that is another reason not to buy the game.

So how does that make sense? My assumption is that, in fact, the devs agree with you. I did not explicitly state that, which may be the reason we do not think each other's posts make sense.
It's one thing not to like a game-mechanic but completely disagreeing with a point of view of a dev studio makes me (I think understandably) less likely to want to give them my money than if they had a reason that I agree with.
0Grapher: That doesn't make any sense... What I wrote was about compulsory reloaders who can't manage to break their habit that they themselves consider cheating. If those people consider it a flaw that games allow them to do something that they don't have to do then they have a problem in my opinion.
jamotide: Yeah THAT makes no sense. Nobody except you has talked about someone like that. Nobody has mentioned such people here. That is why I mocked you for your strange statement.
Maybe I understand the notion of "savegame abuse" differently than you. You made it sound like you dislike reloading your game. If you don't like it, then don't reload your game! I fail to understand how it is a good thing that you have to go through hoops to save a save file that you want to keep. If you think that's a good thing when you can just refrain from reloading save files in any game if you so desire then I have extremely different views than you. I can't stand it at all if I am denied options just because some people can't control themselves or because someone thinks you shouldn't reload your game. -Why else would [] the game automatically delete the save file?
jamotide: Most of hese games are designed in such a way that you do not need to save and reload. A round of FTL or Curious Expedition takes an hour on average. There is no need to save and reload. The possibility to do it anyway is not a flaw. It's a workaround for people who are bad at strategy and are incapable of learning the game to eventually win consistently. It is nothing to be ashamed of.
From the very start you make it sound like it was something to be ashamed of, which is why I am trying to ridicule the idea that you can "abuse" save games.
It doesn't really matter how short sessions can be because the games' problem is not that the devs did not think implementing a save function is necessary but that they actively delete your save files just to enforce the devs['] idea of how you are supposed to play their game. FTL even deleted your save file directly after loading under some circumstances, I think. In my opinion that is like treating the customer like an idiot and I don't approve of that at all (I still don't regret buying FTL but only because it is just good enough that I still have some respect for the devs).
I hope that you can imagine that not everyone wants to sink as many hours into every one of their games as you want to sink into your favourite games. -As you wrote, you suck at jump'n'runs. Now, all the games that I was used to playing until a few years ago were games that allowed you to freely use the save function or refrain from doing so. Can't you imagine that I'm annoyed that the typical DRM-free cross-platform games seem to deny me an option that I am used to and that some people make it sound like a good thing when they could just not continue playing a lost game in any regular game ever (there are probably some exceptions that are just as ridiculous as the opposite).
jamotide: I am terrible at jumpnruns, but I can still have fun with them with cheats.
But on the other hand I don't go around complaining about how hard/unfair/whatever jumpnruns are or that you can't save and reload before a hard part because I realise that I am just bad at them. It is also not beneath me to abuse the WinUAE savestate system to eventually see the endgame of Rainbow Islands and Giana Sisters.
I'm fine with being bad at games and using cheats. In my opinion, though, cheats and options should be made as accessible to the paying customer as possible.
jamotide: If that is possible then by not making the savefiles inaccessible they are giving you another option. Depriving yourself of the game because it is beneath you to use a trick to save is silly, almost idiotic. That is why I will keep informing people about this possibility, many just don't know about it.
The trick is not beneath me and I made a similar argument in a different thread a few days ago. My only problems with your initial post were the language that you used and you making it sound like a game lacking a feature would be an improvement to the same game with said feature.

Edit: Corrected two sentences.
Post edited September 03, 2016 by 0Grapher
Russonc: I haven't played again since they added hard so I can't comment.
Hard is...well, hard. I get my a** handed to me every time. :P
0Grapher: It's not about me. As I said, it's about you (both in the sense of "one" and "you" because that's what you said).
Yeah exactly. So why did you suddenly make it about you?

0Grapher: Obviously you enjoy them, otherwise my post wouldn't have made sense. You explained why you like this game by comparing it to a game you like that allows reloading in order to avoid consequences, which you apparently did not approve of.
No you said I need therapy to enjoy them in response to me saying that other people can enjoy the game as well if they really need savenreload. No logical connection at all, hense the no sense part.

0Grapher: So: Maxvorstadt says he doesn't like the premise of the game - you explain why it is good - I respond that if the devs agree with your reasoning that is another reason not to buy the game.

So how does that make sense? My assumption is that, in fact, the devs agree with you. I did not explicitly state that, which may be the reason we do not think each other's posts make sense.
It's one thing not to like a game-mechanic but completely disagreeing with a point of view of a dev studio makes me (I think understandably) less likely to want to give them my money than if they had a reason that I agree with.
How does that explain that your point was that I am doing the opposite of convincing these people that roguelikes aren't flawed?

0Grapher: Maybe I understand the notion of "savegame abuse" differently than you. You made it sound like you dislike reloading your game. If you don't like it, then don't reload your game! I fail to understand how it is a good thing that you have to go through hoops to save a save file that you want to keep. If you think that's a good thing when you can just refrain from reloading save files in any game if you so desire then I have extremely different views than you.
Why would I suggest it to people as a viable workaround if I dislike it? The only reason you picked that up as a negative thing is probably because YOU think it is not ok.

0Grapher: I can't stand it at all if I am denied options just because some people can't control themselves or because someone thinks you shouldn't reload your game. -Why else would [] the game automatically delete the save file?
Really, are you new to PC games? Heard of mods? We modify games all the time in spite of what the devs intended.If you deny yourself a good experience simply because you refuse to mod a game or use an easy workaround then you miss alot of good stuff.

0Grapher: From the very start you make it sound like it was something to be ashamed of, which is why I am trying to ridicule the idea that you can "abuse" save games.
No I didn't. I simply called it a cheat. If you think cheats are something to be ashamed of then that is your perception not what I made it sound like.

0Grapher: It doesn't really matter how short sessions can be because the games' problem is not that the devs did not think implementing a save function is necessary but that they actively delete your save files just to enforce the devs['] idea of how you are supposed to play their game.
What, of course it matters. If a game is an hour long it is no big deal to try again. If a game is 20 hours long (like Sword of The Stars The Pit for example) then it is a big deal and I am more likely to cheat. And no, that is not sounding bad, I had a lot of fun in my endless runs that took like 50 hours with extensive savenreloading. I akso had fun trying to get through the normal game without cheats. Whatever makes me happy.
I don't even get the rest of your complaint, that is how all mandatory ironman games that allow exit game saving manage the files. Why is that the real problem? How else should the game be lost then? So far it did not sound like that is the problem. Sounds like you are ok with forced ironman as long as theres no save file deletion? Why complain about the lack of savenreload then...

0Grapher: FTL even deleted your save file directly after loading under some circumstances, I think. In my opinion that is like treating the customer like an idiot and I don't approve of that at all
What circumstances? If that were the case you could not even cheat this way.

0Grapher: I hope that you can imagine that not everyone wants to sink as many hours into every one of their games as you want to sink into your favourite games. -As you wrote, you suck at jump'n'runs. Now, all the games that I was used to playing until a few years ago were games that allowed you to freely use the save function or refrain from doing so. Can't you imagine that I'm annoyed that the typical DRM-free cross-platform games seem to deny me an option that I am used to and that some people make it sound like a good thing when they could just not continue playing a lost game in any regular game ever (there are probably some exceptions that are just as ridiculous as the opposite).
I understand the first part, which is why I recommend cheating! I mean wtf, I am the guy who recommends cheating to enjoy a game people would otherwise dismiss and you accuse me of making cheating sound bad.
The second part I could understand if it wasn't so easy to workaround.

0Grapher: I'm fine with being bad at games and using cheats. In my opinion, though, cheats and options should be made as accessible to the paying customer as possible.
Easily said, but it might screw up the game for everyone else. Most people will use the reload function out of habit, as a result they will have less fun. I know I used to reload for every single bit in 4x games, since I stopped that I had more fun and got much better at them.
Also this workaround couldn't be easier. It's alot easier than usual mods. If something pisses you off in a game it is typically much harder to mod out than simply backing up the savefile in 5 seconds.

0Grapher: The trick is not beneath me and I made a similar argument in a different thread a few days ago. My only problems with your initial post were the language that you used and you making it sound like a game lacking a feature would be an improvement to the same game with said feature.
All I called it was a cheat, since when is that bad language? When I grew up the cheats section was a big part of mags, never occured to me someone would perceive cheats as a negative.
And where did I make it sound like the lack of a save feature would be an improvement? Is that about the mindset thing? Which was based again on the "cheat"? Geez you really have a problem with cheating, don't you?
I've had this title for a while now and have been following its progress with great anticipation. I truly adore the game, it is very addictive, the devs are fantastic to deal with. The way early access was handled I thought was perfect, the very early very first version I had still had an enormous amount of content that kept me going and going for ages.

Good on them ! They, and their game are brilliant !
Hmm. So it seems a tad bit more "control over the RNG for success" than Renowned Explorers was (which I liked, but only briefly because it was far too random), but not as "you can really beat the game if are skillful enough" as FTL.

I enjoy it, but I expect I won't stick with it very long because of it being overly RNG-dominated without enough "skill compensates for random". Maybe it'll come with time, but I doubt it -- I just don't see room for that.

(EDIT: Playing on normal.)
Post edited September 04, 2016 by mqstout
This is one of those games I'd really like to try, but my Win Vista will apparently not do. A pity as the reviews and views on the developer sounds very good.
mqstout: Hmm. So it seems a tad bit more "control over the RNG for success" than Renowned Explorers was (which I liked, but only briefly because it was far too random), but not as "you can really beat the game if are skillful enough" as FTL.
I haven't replayed the game since halfway through its time as In Development, but from what I recall - at least on normal mode - I found the game perfectly beatable under nearly all pre-set conditions. What the game does require is that players don't get too greedy with the looting. The overwhelming majority of my failed expeditions were because I knowingly triggered some of the worse traps (voids of course, but wildfires and floods can be painful too), thinking I was well-equipped to outrun their effects, but I really wasn't. :) That's part of the gameplay mechanics. You can dig holes for yourself that you're unlikely to get out of, so figuring out if a particular hole will be worth it is part of the fun, at least IMHO.