It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A new, refreshed version of the classic point and click game is finally here. Sam & Max Save the World is now available on GOG.COM! Join the two wacky members of the Freelance Police, a six-foot canine detective and a hyperkinetic rabbity-thing, on their quest to solve strange crime cases and… save the world.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG.COM account to join now!
high rated
babark: They made those changes because they personally wanted to, and they've grown since they made the original, and don't feel comfortable with those unchanged bits anymore.
That is not growth, that is regression brought about by the cancerous influence of identity politics in current western culture.

If this is how they feel, then they are no longer fit to write comedy. This clip from Duckman says it better than I ever could.
high rated
babark: hey made those changes because they personally wanted to, and they've grown since they made the original, and don't feel comfortable with those unchanged bits anymore.
The only thing that's "grown" with this release is the price tag...
high rated
I really don't understand why they thought this was a good idea.

I have read them saying that it felt the right thing to do, but... why did it?

I mean clearly the changed jokes are weaker or lacking the joke part now. Why go into this trouble and change the lines of your recast character, when the recast alone is quite a silly thing in the first place, apparently part of what is happening in the US the last year.

But why make things worse by changing the original script, at the small window opportunity that the recast created?

If it was a change that added deleted content from the original script, mind you, I'd be on board in a second. But I can't agree with arbitrary removing and changing lines, from a game coming from an edgy humor comic no less, because of modern sensitivities.

That's just not the right way to treat the original game.
high rated
babark: hey made those changes because they personally wanted to, and they've grown since they made the original, and don't feel comfortable with those unchanged bits anymore.
BrianSim: The only thing that's "grown" with this release is the price tag...
That is very unfair, very unfair. Skunkape worked their fingers to the bone to censor and sanitize this release for the general public. There is nothing like tacking on a 400% price increase to even things out, I mean it is the law of economics with a fubar or downright lazy remaster. How else are they supposed to at least make back the money that they aren't going to be getting due to lost sales because of their actions?
Post edited December 04, 2020 by EnforcerSunWoo
ReynardFox: And even if he is there, it doesn't excuse the censorship, a creator is not immune to bad judgement calls or being called out on them.
Well, I mean

the guy has social media accounts, why not go ask him?

I feel there would be no harder evidence than word from the metaphorical horse's mouth.
Post edited December 04, 2020 by Darvond
Already have the original from Telltale if it somehow still works as well as the original 2007 release on GOG.com so I doubt I would have been on the market to buy this anyway, but what the actual heck?

Just the fact they did this and it exists makes me feel sick.
Darvond: the guy has social media accounts, why not go ask him?
I only have a twitter account and I can't find him specifically on there, and even though you're not wrong and I'd like to ask him directly, nothing is going to get me to sign up to any other social media platforms. I feel dirty enough having a twitter.

If anyone else can reach out to him and find out, please be my guest.
Post edited December 04, 2020 by ReynardFox
I had no problem with changing the voice actor. I don't think a white guy voicing a black guy is always wrong, but he really did put on a "black voice" which I can see being over the line today.

However they said there would be no script changes, and there are script changes, and that seems pretty crappy. The 15 year old girl avatar line was a favorite of mine, and one I actually remember all these years later. Not sure if I'll refund over it, the game looks and sounds a lot better, but it is disappointing.
So does every version of this game have a problem? Feels like this game is straight up cursed.
Gonchi: So does every version of this game have a problem? Feels like this game is straight up cursed.
Pretty much, OG digital version is bugged up the ass, physical version DRM'd and the remake censored to hell.
Rixasha: Already have the original from Telltale if it somehow still works as well as the original 2007 release on GOG.com
It does (tested them both): they are both more or less the same - including the buggy Sybil.

Gonchi: So does every version of this game have a problem? Feels like this game is straight up cursed.
ReynardFox: Pretty much, OG digital version is bugged up the ass, physical version DRM'd and the remake censored to hell.
Well to be fair to the original: we are basically talking about two bugs in the game

1) Sybil invisible in episode 1 (her hotspot can be found and clicked on on the other side of the room near the door)
2) Sam can't run in episode 5 (happened because they downgraded the game to fix a really game breaking bug)

Yes, none of this is perfect or should even have happened but the game is at least playable.

I also really hope that the devs take a look at this like they said they did (they also said no censoring ... but hope ...). I've tried to fix the Sybil bug in the classic version myself yesterday but failed because of incompatibility between all those different versions unfortunately.
Post edited December 06, 2020 by MarkoH01
Rixasha: Already have the original from Telltale if it somehow still works as well as the original 2007 release on GOG.com
MarkoH01: It does (tested them both): they are both more or less the same - including the buggy Sybil.

ReynardFox: Pretty much, OG digital version is bugged up the ass, physical version DRM'd and the remake censored to hell.
MarkoH01: Well to be fair to the original: we are basically talking about two bugs in the game

1) Sybil invisible in episode 1 (her hotspot can be found and clicked on on the other side of the room near the door)
2) Sam can't run in episode 5 (happened because they downgraded the game to fix a really game breaking bug)

Yes, none of this is perfect or should even have happened but the game is at least playable.

I also really hope that the devs take a look at this like they said they did (they also said no censoring ... but hope ...). I've tried to fix the Sybil bug in the classic version myself yesterday but failed because of incompatibility between all those different versions unfortunately.
Fixing the original version does seem like a lost cause at this point. You're right that it is still playable at least, but the fact the remaster is so much improved audiovisually that I'm left with the niggling frustration that there is no 'best version'. :/

I've done all I can regarding the remaster, I've refunded the game and composed a letter and emailed it to Skunkape about all the issues. We can only hope there's enough of a backlash to give them pause and maybe reconsider their censorship. Unless they themselves are too far gone down an ideological path that they believe they're doing the right thing...

Future does seem rather grim for Sam & Max right now though. I remember the humor in Season 2 was racier than the first and unless this dev wakes up, it'll be a mess.
Post edited December 06, 2020 by ReynardFox
high rated
They updated the FAQ: https://skunkapegames.com/samandmax/faq/

Here is some of the additions:

------------------

But wait, I read online that you censored a ton of jokes?!

Nope, not true. We did make small tweaks to a few jokes that we were uncomfortable including in a game in 2020. (These changes were so minimal that we forgot all about them when we first posted this FAQ!) These don’t change the game experience and we feel strongly that it was the right thing to do. Unless you go looking for them, you probably won’t even notice.

------------------------

So by the looks of it they are downplaying/dismissing the issue claiming that they didn't change anything but did make "small tweaks" which is both a wrong and contradictory statement.

It does look like another studio, Happy Giant, is working on a Sam & Max game called Sam & Max: This time it's Virtual. However it looks to be a VR game.

https://happygiant.com/projects/sam-and-max-this-time-its-virtual
Post edited December 06, 2020 by wolfsite
high rated
wolfsite: So by the looks of it they are downplaying/dismissing the issue claiming that they didn't change anything but did make "small tweaks" which is both a wrong and contradictory statement.
I had posted a review on GOG that linked to a Steam forum thread which gave a partial list of the changes. That link is now broken, since the devs have merged all the Steam forum threads complaining about this issue into one combined thread (some are accusing the devs of trying to hide the issue, though others claim that this is standard moderation practice). Since the devs are now trying to claim that they did not "censor a ton of jokes", but only made "small tweaks" to "a few jokes", I am copying the list here, so that people will be able to find it.

It's not just "two lines" there are many more, such as

Episode 1

Original dialogue:

It's the latest in BoscoTech inovation, it'll clear out a room of militant college students in no time, guaranteed.

New dialogue:

It's the latest in BoscoTech inovation, it'll clear out a room in no time, guaranteed.

Episode 2

Original dialogue:

Oh no, the Skinbodies are like Skinheads, but ten times worse!

New dialogue:

Oh no, the Skinbodies are like those horrible hairless cats, but ten times worse!

They also changed the license plate of that car parked next to the Desoto

Original:
DRG DLR

New:
RMS DLR

And, in the other episodes, when you click on some objects, Max still has the old voice from episode 1 (unlike the original).

Episode 3

Original dialogue:

You may call me, Jean-Francois Sissypants, the cowardly French anarchist.

New dialogue:

You may call me, Jean-Francois Bonde-A-Part, the new wave French anarchist.

Which doesn't make sense, considering Sam & Max still call him "Sissypants"

Episode 4:

I didn't notice any change in the dialogue so far, but
the time estimate for the missile to hit Krypton does not show up (might be a bug).

Episode 5:

They changed one of Bob's line

Original dialogue:

Take our complimentary goggles designed for special-needs children so that the little ones can play along.

New Dialogue:

Take our complimentary wide-fit goggles designed for playing while bicycling or enjoying full-contact sports!

Original dialogue:

It's 'cause everyone on the internet has to pick an avatar, like a dwarf or an orc or an hot young fifteen-year- old girl curious about the adult world and willing to experiment.

New Dialogue:

It's cause everyone on the internet has to pick an avatar, like a dwarf or an orc or a troll... But we've got enough trolls.

And I didn't even checked episode 6 and the rest of episode 5.
wolfsite: They updated the FAQ: https://skunkapegames.com/samandmax/faq/
What a contemptible pack of liars. I am actively glad that I got a refund on this game now.
Post edited December 06, 2020 by ReynardFox