It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

FPS Immortals are here.

Quake II: Quad Damage, Quake III: Gold, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny - are available now, DRM-free on GOG.com. You can pick them up at 33% off in two bundles:
<span class="bold">Quake Damage</span> & <span class="bold">Return to Wolfenstein</span>.

Wolfenstein 3D (with Spear of Destiny) is widely considered to be the first true 3D FPS ever. It single handedly kickstarted a generation of id Software greats, and thus influenced just about every FPS we've played ever since. Its mazes, shades of gray, and blue hues are burned into the collective gaming memory - plus you get to kill a mechanized Hitler. Classic.
In the early days of FPS gaming, Quake II: Quad Damage was the milestone. In a spot-on review from 1997, GameSpot calls it "the only first-person shooter to render the original Quake entirely obsolete." It was bigger, better, prettier, and smoother than any clone or predecessor - it also offered one of the most playable, and by far most popular multiplayer experiences of its day.
Quake III: Gold, aka. multiplayer revolution. Despite a controversial removal of the lauded single-player experience the series was known for, Quake III: Arena became a smash-hit and (together with Unreal Tournament) essentially defined arena-style, movement-based competitive gaming for years. The shooter spawned a community that's been living and breathing to this day.
In B.J. Blazkowicz's Return to Castle Wolfenstein, another legend is born. A unique, objective-based multiplayer mode saw immense popularity back in the day - and it was actually pretty okay if you're into that sort of thing. The single-player campaign is a dark, somewhat ridiculous freak show of morbid, scientific fantasy. An ever present sense of dread emanates from the disturbing experiments and cult-like universe, just waiting to be set afire - by you.

As with any Bethesda purchase, you'll also get The Elder Scrolls: Arena & Daggerfall for free!

Prepare to fight in Quake II: Quad Damage, Quake III: Gold, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny - now DRM-free on GOG.com. Return to the FPS immortals at 33% off in two bundles: <span class="bold">Quake Damage</span> & <span class="bold">Return to Wolfenstein</span>. The promo will last for one week, until October 8, 12:59 PM GMT.

The four titles released today are not available for purchase in Germany. These are legal restrictions that are beyond our control, and we're very sorry for the inconvenience.

In the times of the C64 there had been games programmed by fascists which spread via copying. They were not sold, but they might be the reasonh for this kind of censoring. Or there is something I missed about the mystical capabillities of a swastika, for if you look at one, it turns you into bloody nazi that instant.
E_A: The problem here is basically a sloppily worded law combined with the fact the case law remains until rescinded. These laws are from the 1950s where you still had large groups of "loyalists". The point was to prevent the Nazis to march down the main street brandishing swastikas using the bullshit "we are just celebrating our heritage" that the US regularly has. And by and large it worked quite well in pushing these preople to the margins.

To get there and remove the "no intent to promote" defence the law outlaws all use and makes an exception for historical education, defence against extremism, art and science etc.. Of these exceptions only "art" applies. Unfortunately the only high court cases for this are from the early 90s and basically rule out computer games as art (which given the content and limitations of the time made some sense). Since then publishers have worked around the issue since spending 5+ years to get a ruling is a financial death sentence for any game. So we are unlikely to get updated rulings any time soon. Business is just naturally risk-averse.

And in all honesty I don't get this "if I can't have it nobody can have it" feeling a lot of people spout here. Are you people really accusing GoG to be the bad guy because they did not tell a publisher for whose games thousands of people have lobbied for years to fuck off because they insisted that GoG follows the (possibly stupid but still valid) laws of Germany?
Agreed. :) Personaly, i do love that GoG has released these gems to the public to enjoy. As long as gifting is possible there is no real problem to get these games. Just ask nicely :D
edit: typo
Post edited October 05, 2015 by bombe_zwanzig
DanielRuf: At least it seems there is now some move at the BPjM.

Much more games are not indexed and just labeled USK 18 and the new MortalKombat and the previous GTA titles were removed from the index a few days ago.
To be honest, I have a feeling that they're moving to abolish the BPjM. That organisation has just seen one embarrassment after another of late, and it's just a matter of time until someone brings the "glorification of violence" provision of the StGB and the "mild endangerment" and "severe endangerment" provisions of the JuSchG to court and shows that it's unconstitutional by virtue of the fact that you simply cannot claim glorification or endangerment through the simple depiction of explicit violence. And the recent rejection of Mortal Kombat X is going to make it nigh-on impossible to blacklist any other titles in future without publishers going through legal appeals.

The system survives alone on disincentivising opposition - both the certification process and the appeals process are costly affairs that are a real crapshoot - hence the "Schere im Kopf" mentality. A publisher might get lucky with their certification or review committee and have progressive members, but they might also be stuck with aging parents' association representatives, backward child psychologists and church reps.

The BPjM, §86a and §131 StGB have survived hitherto on the simple fact that nobody has dared contest them. Gamers generally don't have the funds to mount a full-scale legal campaign, there's no association representing gamers, and the German development community is essentially dead, so there's no real industry motivation to challenge it.

But there's little doubt that all three are anti-constitutional - the only limitation that the constitution grants on freedom of expression is to protect youth, and it can be safely assumed that none of this is adequately aimed at achieving this goal, especially given that the systems in place to protect young people are so poorly enforced (USK/FSK ratings for one thing).

Once the legal challenge is mounted, there won't be much need for the BPjM anymore, especially as they don't seem to really give much of a shit about actually protecting young people. If they did, they'd do more about the way that many of these girls' magazines encourage eating disorders and foster distorted perceptions about sexuality.
The promo disappeared from the main page. Why? It was supposed to last till Oct 8.
I´m not even German. I just live here...

I would like to trade a gift code for Quake II + expansions. In return I will give you a game for the same price.
DrakoPensulo: The promo disappeared from the main page. Why? It was supposed to last till Oct 8.
They are still here

http://www.gog.com/promo/bethesda_classics_wolfenstein_bundle_011015
http://www.gog.com/promo/bethesda_classics_quake_bundle_011015
Shieru-sensei: ...censorship really is that big an issue for me...
It is for almost all of us, probably, but in this case your country is imposing the censoring!
DanielRuf: Well, the swastika itself generally is good (a religious symbol for luck and so on) and was abused by the Nazis. Just like all other symbols they used.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

I see these things regularly in TV (documentations, cartoons, movies). But let's see how the BPjM will decide as they have removed some games from the list a few days ago.
You are correct but still in the German law the swastika (bacause the nazis misused it as their symbol) is considered anti-constitutional and therefore not legal as long as it is not used in the sense of art. This is so wrong since you won't become a nazi just because you saw a swastika. What would they have done if the nazis had chosen a square as their symbol? What would they teach children in geometry then? Would they forbid every second traffic sign? It's just ridiculous but it is the law.
DanielRuf: Well, the swastika itself generally is good (a religious symbol for luck and so on) and was abused by the Nazis. Just like all other symbols they used.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

I see these things regularly in TV (documentations, cartoons, movies). But let's see how the BPjM will decide as they have removed some games from the list a few days ago.
MarkoH01: You are correct but still in the German law the swastika (bacause the nazis misused it as their symbol) is considered anti-constitutional and therefore not legal as long as it is not used in the sense of art. This is so wrong since you won't become a nazi just because you saw a swastika. What would they have done if the nazis had chosen a square as their symbol? What would they teach children in geometry then? Would they forbid every second traffic sign? It's just ridiculous but it is the law.
Yes, it is ridiculous. For private use you are still allowed to collect and own these things. Just the public is the problem.
IAmSinistar: Starglider 2
apehater: i'm impressed
One of my favourite games of all times. And very ambitious, given its groundbreaking nature and how old it is. Incidentally, the people behind the Starglider games (Argonaut Software) are the company that created the Super FX chip and the Star Fox games. So 3D space games are in their blood.
mobutu: Your country, Germany government, is responsible for this censorship: they forbid the import/buy of videogames containing the nazi swastika and they forbid the public marketing of videogames bureaucratically deemed too violent for "the children". They censor.
You should redirect your anger towards the german government and threaten them with no more seeing/getting the cents from your pocket ...
Do you really think the government cares if we buy games or not? And if you don't pay taxes because of this (the only thing the governement DOES care about) you may have to pay a fine or even go to jail. So there is no real way for the little people to fight the censorship (voting never helped - they all think alike). The game developers and publishers however have a lobby and money they could (and sometimes already have) fight the censorship. We little gamers just have to swallow it or - much easier and much more often the case - pirate the game. In times of the internet publishers and developers should be aware that there is no way to prevent anybody to get what he or she wants and if they still want money for it they have to fight that they can sell their stuff here too - otherwise they won't get any money. Might not be legal but that is the way that it really is.
Post edited October 05, 2015 by MarkoH01
If anybody would be willing to trade with me, I'd be more than thankful. Just add me to your friend list.
Oddeus: I´m not even German. I just live here...

I would like to trade a gift code for Quake II + expansions. In return I will give you a game for the same price.
You should post that request here
jamyskis: ...Gamers generally don't have the funds to mount a full-scale legal campaign....
For me, i have that feeling that we gamers are talking and talking about the same things over and over again, til the thread is read by no one anymore and than life moves on.
Just like that. We all just talk about whats right and legal and about laws. But we dont do anything. And never will. Cause we can just be upset a few days on a forum for good.
apehater: i'm impressed
IAmSinistar: One of my favourite games of all times. And very ambitious, given its groundbreaking nature and how old it is. Incidentally, the people behind the Starglider games (Argonaut Software) are the company that created the Super FX chip and the Star Fox games. So 3D space games are in their blood.
i was surprised about a fps with 3d models released in 1988. although it was disturbing to not had textures on the sky surfaces, while i watched some gameplay.
There were others before, most notably Elite. But Starglider was the first game ever with voice samples. That was before there were any real audio tools available so Jez San actually did this by measuring voltages off the sound chip, and modulating the volume controls in real time to find what voltages came out on his Atari ST. Crazy times :D