It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Timboli: Hell, even though I have bought Quake here at GOG and previously on disc, I'd be happy to pay a bit more for it ... DRM-Free.

It would be nice to get the update for free, [...]
The Enhanced edition update was promised to be free for ALL customers that own a digital copy of the original Quake. So when it eventually appears here you should recieve it without being asked to pay money for it.
high rated
Spectrum_Legacy: While this treatment certainly sucks on principle alone, I can't say I miss enhanced edition itself. It's good for the added content (PAKs) to check out casually, however it is the same strategy that beamdog is pulling with NWN EE, i.e. "if you are buddies with us, your mod can become official content exclusively offered along the great ones from the 90s-00s". Running Quake in kex is like running duke3d in unreal. Something just feels odd about it. Some of the higher-poly models are ok, some look weird. New lighting gives the game quite a different look overall.

Steam users at last got the NiN soundtrack with that version and the crossplay mp sounded neat at first, until the rather amusing notice that it's just the "special couch league" aka gamepad-only mp tier. I don't think that I'll lose any sleep over this version.
TLDR: when wishing for a remake to happen, if you haven't already, just do your homework and make an extra step in trying to learn as much as possible on the original game, its legacy, how and who is doing it and the people behind it.

I've been following this thread silently waiting for someone to bring this up, but, apparently, basically, nobody thinks it is a big deal, finally someone felt like sharing his concerns.

I just can't help but wonder how can anybody in his right mind, anybody who actually respects games, their meaning, their legacy and history just treat a game like this (I was just writing butt-raping but didn't in the end).
If this was a random gamers' forum I wouldn't even bothered, even Steam, I mean there are many people over there who know the games' history but most of them can't tell what's what.
Here we are on GOG though: the average user should be way more aware and sensible about this stuff.

If people know the history of id and Quake and the id techs and what they mean in the history of technology and games, then that is an educated choice, debatable, but based on some kind of knowledge at the very minimum.

But people that are blindly OK with this kind of things, like porting a game to some random CLOSED engine that has nothing to share with the legendary original one, an angine that, at some point, was opened to the people to do whatever they liked with it and that literally changed and shaped the way games were made, enjoyed across the world, then, they might want to, at least, stop for a minute or, probably, rethink what they wish for.
I don't want to be pedantic but this, to me, looks like the classic monkey's paw situation.

This is Night Dive Studios and particularly Mr. Stephen Kick at their finest.
Spectrum_Legacy: While this treatment certainly sucks on principle alone, I can't say I miss enhanced edition itself. It's good for the added content (PAKs) to check out casually, however it is the same strategy that beamdog is pulling with NWN EE, i.e. "if you are buddies with us, your mod can become official content exclusively offered along the great ones from the 90s-00s". Running Quake in kex is like running duke3d in unreal. Something just feels odd about it. Some of the higher-poly models are ok, some look weird. New lighting gives the game quite a different look overall.

Steam users at last got the NiN soundtrack with that version and the crossplay mp sounded neat at first, until the rather amusing notice that it's just the "special couch league" aka gamepad-only mp tier. I don't think that I'll lose any sleep over this version.
Judicat0r: TLDR: when wishing for a remake to happen, if you haven't already, just do your homework and make an extra step in trying to learn as much as possible on the original game, its legacy, how and who is doing it and the people behind it.

I've been following this thread silently waiting for someone to bring this up, but, apparently, basically, nobody thinks it is a big deal, finally someone felt like sharing his concerns.

I just can't help but wonder how can anybody in his right mind, anybody who actually respects games, their meaning, their legacy and history just treat a game like this (I was just writing butt-raping but didn't in the end).
If this was a random gamers' forum I wouldn't even bothered, even Steam, I mean there are many people over there who know the games' history but most of them can't tell what's what.
Here we are on GOG though: the average user should be way more aware and sensible about this stuff.

If people know the history of id and Quake and the id techs and what they mean in the history of technology and games, then that is an educated choice, debatable, but based on some kind of knowledge at the very minimum.

But people that are blindly OK with this kind of things, like porting a game to some random CLOSED engine that has nothing to share with the legendary original one, an angine that, at some point, was opened to the people to do whatever they liked with it and that literally changed and shaped the way games were made, enjoyed across the world, then, they might want to, at least, stop for a minute or, probably, rethink what they wish for.
I don't want to be pedantic but this, to me, looks like the classic monkey's paw situation.

This is Night Dive Studios and particularly Mr. Stephen Kick at their finest.
Corporations respect one thing and one thing only:

Money
Timboli: Posted August 20, 2021
SmollestLight: Here's the official statement from the game's publisher:
Developed by the award-winning id Software, Quake® is the ground-breaking, original dark fantasy first-person shooter that inspires today’s retro-style FPS games. Now, experience the authentic, updated, and visually enhanced version of the original. The GOG version of the update is currently being finalised and will be available to new and existing customers soon.
Timboli: Definitely doesn't fit in with my definition of soon.
And while it has been rejected by some as not really an official statement, GOG have never admitted that.

One would have to speculate, that if it isn't here yet, then it is unlikely to come here any time soon, if ever.

On Steam there have been three updates since it was released, adding improvements and bonuses etc.

And currently it is on sale again at Epic for 40% off. The price for me is $5.98 AUD, which is somewhat tempting after this length of disappointment. I'm not keen on any DRM it might have, but supposedly only certain aspects have DRM.

But who knows, maybe it is more popular than they thought it would be, and so they are just milking it for as long as possible, and it will eventually turn up here.

Perhaps it will turn up here as an anniversary gift. One can always dream.
Supposedly, Epic-version can be booted from the EXE itself, according to PC Gaming Wiki - [url=https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Quake_(2021]https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Quake_(2021[/url])

Mind you, I don't have Quake: Enhanced from Epic. I have it over on Steam and from the now-dead Bethesda Launcher/ Store.

Could I see Bethesda bringing it to GOG? One day...probably when Nightdive, Id, Bethesda, and/or whatever will stop updating the game constantly w/ new mods & content; and when they remove any annoying Bethesda-server checks at launch/boot of the game.

We know that GOG's curated and we've seen gamers here take issue w/ patches coming later to them on GOG b/c of that GOG curation process - so, they probably won't bring it here until they all done w/ updating, patching, adding content, and all of that stuff. On Steam and Epic - no curation rules...so if they wanna drop a patch or add junk, nothing stops them.

They probably are going all in on Steam and Epic b/c those sites allow for Bethesda-server checks and mod support via Bethesda-servers; and no curation process on updates. For this to come to GOG - likely, all of those mods, extras, and whatnot would also need to be fully bundled w/ the installer files here.

I wonder if there's any source ports running any of the new Quake Enhanced Mods, new Dimension episode, and/or stuff of that sort.
Post edited July 17, 2022 by MysterD
MysterD: I wonder if there's any source ports running any of the new Quake Enhanced Mods, new Dimension episode, and/or stuff of that sort.
Quakespasm runs them all fine even the new horde mode from the Enhanced version.
MysterD: I wonder if there's any source ports running any of the new Quake Enhanced Mods, new Dimension episode, and/or stuff of that sort.
RoboPond: Quakespasm runs them all fine even the new horde mode from the Enhanced version.
Beautiful! Thanks for the info & update!
Berzerk2k2: The Enhanced edition update was promised to be free for ALL customers that own a digital copy of the original Quake. So when it eventually appears here you should recieve it without being asked to pay money for it.
I am well aware that was supposedly indicated, but as it has nearly been a year I wouldn't be surprised if they thought better of that idea.

I was just saying on balance I wouldn't mind paying a bit, not a great lot for sure, for it to come here sooner rather than later.

MysterD: Supposedly, Epic-version can be booted from the EXE itself, according to PC Gaming Wiki -
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Quake_(2021)
Thanks for the info etc.
Post edited July 17, 2022 by Timboli
RoboPond: Quakespasm runs them all fine even the new horde mode from the Enhanced version.
Thanks for that.
MysterD: Beautiful! Thanks for the info & update!
Timboli: Thanks for that.
I should add for the horde mode copy the mg1 folder from Quake\rerelease to WhateverQuakespam is\ then add a run line as a shortcut (as its not avaliable in the menu) as -game mg1 +map horde1

Also you need the latest version of Quakespasm.
Post edited July 17, 2022 by RoboPond
Berzerk2k2: The Enhanced edition update was promised to be free for ALL customers that own a digital copy of the original Quake. So when it eventually appears here you should recieve it without being asked to pay money for it.
Timboli: I am well aware that was supposedly indicated, but as it has nearly been a year I wouldn't be surprised if they thought better of that idea.

I was just saying on balance I wouldn't mind paying a bit, not a great lot for sure, for it to come here sooner rather than later.

MysterD: Supposedly, Epic-version can be booted from the EXE itself, according to PC Gaming Wiki -
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Quake_(2021)
Timboli: Thanks for the info etc.
Worth noting this: I can boot Quake Enhanced from Steam also without running Steam client in the background.

You need to do the Steamapp_Id.txt trick listed on the PC Gaming Wiki, though.

At boot, once you hit the main menu - you get an error that it can't connect to the servers, if you're offline. And then it goes on its merry way. Annoying pop-up, but...whatever. [shrug]

MysterD: Awesome news. I'll have to check out the updated Source Port of VKQuake.
Berzerk2k2: Ironwail also has support for the Quake Enhanced version since some time now.
Thanks for this. Tried this IronWail.

IronWail looks like a really good way to run any of the Quake Enhanced's Campaigns to me.
And I love that it has a Mods section too, in-game - similar to what the real Quake Enhanced does.
Post edited July 19, 2022 by MysterD
MysterD: Worth noting this: I can boot Quake Enhanced from Steam also without running Steam client in the background.

At boot, once you hit the main menu - you get an error that it can't connect to the servers. And then it goes on its merry way. Annoying pop-up, but...whatever. [shrug]
I'd guess it's the removal of that Bethesda.net stuff.. even if it's mostly optional... that could be holding up a release here.
MysterD: Worth noting this: I can boot Quake Enhanced from Steam also without running Steam client in the background.

At boot, once you hit the main menu - you get an error that it can't connect to the servers. And then it goes on its merry way. Annoying pop-up, but...whatever. [shrug]
StingingVelvet: I'd guess it's the removal of that Bethesda.net stuff.. even if it's mostly optional... that could be holding up a release here.
I'd definitely agree w/ that.

And also think that all of the extra content in the Mods section needs you to have a Bethesda.Net Account to download it.

Luckily, if you do all of that - you can run these mods in IronWail no problem.
Well the Bethesda Sale appears to be well and truly over at GOG now, and Quake Enhanced never made an appearance, despite the name changes to Quake games. Same with original Doom 3.

We still have two out of four free games to appear in the current sale, but I doubt we will be so lucky that Quake Enhanced or Doom 3 will be one of those.

It is not looking good for Quake Enhanced to appear at GOG, and I don't know what the excuse is with original Doom 3, but at the very least it looks like we are in for a long wait.

A real shame we GOG (DRM-Free loving) customers get treated as second or third class. It amounts to some kind of classism, as we are certainly not being treated equally. Hell, often we don't even get the dregs.
Timboli: Well the Bethesda Sale appears to be well and truly over at GOG now, and Quake Enhanced never made an appearance, despite the name changes to Quake games. Same with original Doom 3.

We still have two out of four free games to appear in the current sale, but I doubt we will be so lucky that Quake Enhanced or Doom 3 will be one of those.

It is not looking good for Quake Enhanced to appear at GOG, and I don't know what the excuse is with original Doom 3, but at the very least it looks like we are in for a long wait.

A real shame we GOG (DRM-Free loving) customers get treated as second or third class. It amounts to some kind of classism, as we are certainly not being treated equally. Hell, often we don't even get the dregs.
Doom 3 hasn't been consolidated into a single library entry on Steam yet, unlike Doom 1 and 2. I kinda doubt that we'll see that here (if at all....) before that's happened over there.

As for Quake 1: sure, it's disappointing, but at least we got Doom 1 and 2, so Quake remains a possibility.
Nergal01: Doom 3 hasn't been consolidated into a single library entry on Steam yet, unlike Doom 1 and 2. I kinda doubt that we'll see that here (if at all....) before that's happened over there.

As for Quake 1: sure, it's disappointing, but at least we got Doom 1 and 2, so Quake remains a possibility.
Actually Doom 3 was consolidated on steam like the rest on Aug 10. You can buy it right now at 60% off for 4 bucks as a single entry "Doom 3" containing the original game + RoE expansion + bfgarbage edition.