It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

JDelekto: Interesting, they already said what price ranged game you may get in return, what you may value at $2.00 is probably not at the price the game is sold, but worth what you're willing to pay for it.
Shendue: Games like Lumino City, Inquisitor and Torchlight have all been sold several times for much cheaper, if i'm not mistaken. Torchlight was even free.
I do not think Lumino City had a deep discount on GOG. The other two, yes - one sold for under 2 bucks(if I remember it right) and the other one was even free once.

Anyways, I WANT MY INSOMNIA SALE.
Post edited September 15, 2015 by MaGo72
MaGo72: Anyways, I WANT MY INSOMNIA SALE.
Ha. This, in essence, is my only real criticism of this piñata nonsense. It's delaying a cooler sale.
MaGo72: Anyways, I WANT MY INSOMNIA SALE.
I want Insomnia sale
put another dime in the jukebox, baby
I want insomnia sale
take the time and buy with me!
:-)
blakstar: So, in essence, you're blaming GOG for not being omniscient?
No, (s)he's blaming GOG for not having a way to input the necessary information.
blakstar: So, in essence, you're blaming GOG for not being omniscient?
MarioFanaticXV: No, (s)he's blaming GOG for not having a way to input the necessary information.
I don't think it could actually work with the way sales work right now though.
Like with the pinata's, or the bundles you could just mark games you're not interested in as owned to get the rest cheaper.
Post edited September 15, 2015 by omega64
MarioFanaticXV: No, (s)he's blaming GOG for not having a way to input the necessary information.
omega64: I don't think it could actually work with the way sales work right now though.
Like with the pinata's, or the bundles you could just mark games you're not interested in as owned to get the rest cheaper.
There's a couple ways they can work around this:

1) Stop doing things to where you have to buy everything you don't own to get the full discount.
2) Offer a way for people to claim games on GOG that they have elsewhere.

Customers should not be punished for problems that GOG has created.
Post edited September 15, 2015 by MarioFanaticXV
omega64: I don't think it could actually work with the way sales work right now though.
MarioFanaticXV: There's a couple ways they can work around this:

1) Stop doing things to where you have to buy everything you don't own to get the full discount.
2) Offer a way for people to claim games on GOG that they have elsewhere.

Customers should not be punished for problems that GOG has created.
I agree, I just felt I should mention it. :)
I don't really have much to add to the pinata debate, other than every time I load the front page I furiously click on that swingin' donkey hoping it will burst open and fill my cart with a tantalizing selection of 90% off goodies.

Now THAT's a promo I would take part in.
the.kuribo: I don't really have much to add to the pinata debate, other than every time I load the front page I furiously click on that swingin' donkey hoping it will burst open and fill my cart with a tantalizing selection of 90% off goodies.

Now THAT's a promo I would take part in.
You know, that actually could solve a lot of the problem with the sale; instead of buying a game at random, you instead reveal a game at random every so often (say, four to six hours or so?), and then have the option of buying it at the discounted price. If you don't like what you're given, you can just whack a new pinata when the time period is over.

Granted, 90% is a bit much, but the general concept seems sound.
I know it's a very odd thing to say, but I think the Insomnia sales have somehow spoiled us. Typical consumer mindset... always playing the 'beaten spouse' angle.
IronArcturus: I miss the times when Humble was purely DRM-free. Now it's just another Steam store.
Because, good sir, DRM-free revolution alone won't fill your wallet or make a food magically. Humble is a business, they're not some charities that feed people's ego of DRM free revolution.

As it stands, when I checked Humble's page right now, there's Ubisoft Bundle, Weekly Bundle that contains DRM free games, Android Bundle which is definitely DRM free, and Book Bundle which is DRM free as well.

And normally in a bundle, if a game has DRM free build, they'll include it as well. Not to mention various OSTs and goodies. Oh, the OSTs more often than not are FLACs.

As for the Store Part, they are indeed selling mostly Steam games, but that's because they want to make profit. Again, business makes profit, so they naturally try to sell things that earn them most profit. Why would you sell something rotten in your Store that doesn't give any good?

Moreso, Steam doesn't give a damn about their Steam keys being generated by publishers and be sent to Humble or various stores to be resold, which is so convenient for all related parties.

I really find your statement silly.
IronArcturus: I miss the times when Humble was purely DRM-free. Now it's just another Steam store.
zeroxxx: Because, good sir, DRM-free revolution alone won't fill your wallet or make a food magically. Humble is a business, they're not some charities that feed people's ego of DRM free revolution.

As it stands, when I checked Humble's page right now, there's Ubisoft Bundle, Weekly Bundle that contains DRM free games, Android Bundle which is definitely DRM free, and Book Bundle which is DRM free as well.

And normally in a bundle, if a game has DRM free build, they'll include it as well. Not to mention various OSTs and goodies. Oh, the OSTs more often than not are FLACs.

As for the Store Part, they are indeed selling mostly Steam games, but that's because they want to make profit. Again, business makes profit, so they naturally try to sell things that earn them most profit. Why would you sell something rotten in your Store that doesn't give any good?

Moreso, Steam doesn't give a damn about their Steam keys being generated by publishers and be sent to Humble or various stores to be resold, which is so convenient for all related parties.

I really find your statement silly.
Of course stores are welcome to do as they please. That doesn't mean the consumer has to like it though. ;P
MarioFanaticXV: You know, that actually could solve a lot of the problem with the sale; instead of buying a game at random, you instead reveal a game at random every so often (say, four to six hours or so?), and then have the option of buying it at the discounted price. If you don't like what you're given, you can just whack a new pinata when the time period is over.

Granted, 90% is a bit much, but the general concept seems sound.
This kind of happened already -at gog's 2013 christmas sale. There were these mystery boxes (the content of which changed every 24 hours) , and you could click on them and it'd show you a discounted game (e.g. Thief at 75% off) and you then decided whether to take this offer or leave it. I think there were 3 categories: Oldie boxes, indie boxes and just a random game. This was kind of a good thing in retrospect, but people at the time didn't appreciate it, as they thought it proposed them stuff they didn't like. So, yes maybe gog should try this again since there is a precedent (no matter how old it is).
I'll try to find a link from the forum archives to show you, but for now this is what I recall...

edit-link: http://www.gog.com/forum/general_archive/daily_personal_deals_tracker_2013_drmfree_winter_sale/page1
Post edited September 15, 2015 by Treasure
zeroxxx: Because, good sir, DRM-free revolution alone won't fill your wallet or make a food magically. Humble is a business, they're not some charities that feed people's ego of DRM free revolution.
Well I would counter that GOG is a business as well and they're doing just fine selling DRM-free games! I would much rather have my games not need any kind of mandatory client to make them work. I know with the GOG installers that the games will work 10 years in the future without needing access to the internet. The only thing needed would be a compatible OS.
What it comes down to, is some people are not satisfied unless it is perfect for them.

For example, with the mystery boxes, people kept complaining it was random, but the truth was closer to "I wanted game X which was at the best discount. GoG sucks because they didn't offer me exactly what I consider the best deal in the sale."

The same with the game bundles, whether they be weekend sales or part of a bigger one. When Nordic was going away and they had a 90% off if you buy everything bundle. People complained because they somehow felt they should have a right to piecemeal it. The only reason they offered it at 90% was because it was a large bundle. If GoG would have offered it piecemeal, it would NOT have been 90% off. Period.

Just like this sale. If it were not random. Many of these games would not be sold for $3. So take away the randomness, then you can take away half the games on offer in the pinata part of the sale. But people want to complain about it as if they should have some automatic right to $30 and $40 games for $3. Change the sale, those games are not offered.

It not to say there are not some legitimate complaints about the pinatas. The whole Sword of the Stars debacle for those with all the parts. The extremely limited quantities of a few titles and the fact they cannot warn you ahead of purchase that you are going to receive a gift because you own everything available. These are all very valid issues.

But complaining because you can't take the randomness away is not a valid complaint, because then GoG would also have to take away the possibility you might get something a little more special. Complaining that GoG should check your Steam profile first is rather silly too as they are competitors. Complaining because one of the games was offered with a bigger discount in the past, again, that's almost every weekend sale too. So what? You should have bought it then. The whole concept of the pinatas is some wins are better than others. They are all good discounts, its just that some of them have been slightly better in the past, but for a very limited time. And if every item were guaranteed to be "the best deal ever offered", guess what, expect fewer of the premium games in the offer.

Its not like all the forum goers don't know the sale is going to be tracked. It's not like you cannot make an informed decision. And for all the people complaining about games offered cheaper on Steam, guess what? It's the truth across the board. You can go to "Isthereanydeal" or whatever it is and look it up. I don't recall ever seeing the best deal on GoG in history ever being lower than the best deal ever on Steam for any game. Those are just the facts. So what. There are other reasons people prefer GoG, but most of us realize buying games here will cost more than Steam, so its not a fair comparison.
Post edited September 15, 2015 by RWarehall