It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Oh dear lord. I hadn't realised how much I hate day 1...!

Before I go any further, reads:
1. SirPrimalform -- Mildly Scummy, for reasons in post 103
2. ZFR -- Mildly Scummy, for referencing previous games as proof of towniness
3. littlerabbit -- Not Sure. Seems to be trying to stay on everyone's good side, contributes to discussion without advancing it very much.
4. bler144 -- Not Sure. I pounced to start a bit of something but I'm not sure anything came of it.
5. flubbucket -- Not Sure - has a reputation to maintain..! The thing is that I don't think that lynching flub for the avatar would leave a significant enough wagon. If this detail starts to corollate with behaviour later I'd be up for it, but... right now I don't think it's a sensible lynch.
6. JoeSapphire -- Leaning Town - was the first to list reads and keeps asking particular and probing questions.
7. HypersomniacLive -- Not Sure, I feel like for lack of data. I know they have been posting but I don't feel like I have gleaned much from it.
8. elebutterfly --
9. Damnation -- Not Sure, for lack of data.
10. trentonlf -- Not Sure. seemed a little defensive re my question but that's not significant enough by itself, it was a pretty meta question.
11. Bookwyrm627 -- Leaning Scum - very pro-brig whereas pretty much all the evidence suggests it's a lousy move on D1.
12. cristigale -- Not Sure - went out of her way to get the flub case, as impressive as it was.
13. Vitek -- Not Sure.

trentonlf: snip
Thanks for the clarification.

bler144: I don't believe I was asking SPF for a "legitimate" vote, was I? My exact question was " who would you have voted for and what facile reason would you have given?"
Well.. that's why I put "legitimate" in quotation marks - for you a facile reason is more legitimate than a RNG vote, right? And yes we may end up disagreeing on everything but I'm going to

unvote bler114

on the basis of your next few posts.

elebutterfly: PREPOST EDIT for Joe:
So bler is a Good Egg for lengthy response to me? Yet of the two of us bler started crafting arguments before I did. Hmm.. HMMM.
bler144: I don't follow this. If it's about length, why does sequence matter either way?
Joe's point of contention in 57 was:
JoeSapphire: but to me ele strikes me as the one composing an argument
and I was implying that your post 25 was also a composed argument - therefore my question was why does Joe find it suspicious from me and not from you. I don't know that he actually answered, now that I think of it..?

Bookwyrm627: 1) Would you lynch a player on Day 1? This is kind of like a reversible lynch.
Except brigging doesn't involve a card flip... And of course we would lynch a player on Day 1????? Scummiest thing I've read so far. We need data. We need a dead body. Are you proposing brigging instead of lynching Today?

Vitek: You make it sound like people make the consicous choice to play differently as scum. The differences are usually not on purpose, they are created when people are faking to be pro-town. Towns should be hunting scum so it wouldn't be that bad if mafia copied their behaviour and helped us to create legit case against their buddies. :-)
I was with you until that last sentence... if so, town would always win. I just don't think the proof of towniness based on behaviour in previous games is solid reasoning (and IMHO it feels like bad sportsmanship, but that's an argument for outside this thread that should not be pursued here.)

littlerabbit: I agree with ele that reading into people's behaviour from their posts in previous games doesn't really feel like legit gameplay. But I contrast this with RL games where you know people well enough to use this info to judge scumness of behaviour.

I am a bit uncomfortable with it as a tac-tic, but I think that we need to use all info available, and this is available info. so therefore Ele's reluctance to use it seems a bit scummy to me..
So... why are you voting ZFR?

PREPOST EDIT
ZFR: Also, while everyone is going: "Hey, remember when Bookwyrm did X in flub's high school smurf game; he was mafia then. (hehehe good times), my previous game is the only one I can refer to; it's a bit sad.
I still don't understand why you'd refer to the previous game in the first place... bear in mind 6/13 of us (I think) don't have this option.

Can we have a votecount please, acting-captain?
ZFR: Also, while everyone is going: "Hey, remember when Bookwyrm did X in flub's high school smurf game; he was mafia then. (hehehe good times), my previous game is the only one I can refer to; it's a bit sad.
elebutterfly: I still don't understand why you'd refer to the previous game in the first place... bear in mind 6/13 of us (I think) don't have this option.
The sentence you quoted was just a (non-serious) by-the-way addon that while most of you can reminisce previous old games, I can't since I haven't played them. It wasn't meant to be part of my reply to trent.
elebutterfly: Can we have a votecount please, acting-captain?
Certainly.

Lynch:

ZFR - 4 (JoeSapphire, trentonlf, littlerabbit, SPF)
JoeSapphire - 3 (Damnation, Bookwyrm, ZFR)
flubbucket - 1 (cristigale)
cristigale - 1 (Vitek)
SPF - 1 (bler114)
Damnation - 1 (flubbucket)

Brig:

littlerabbit - 1 (Bookwyrm)
Bookwyrm - 1 (Vitek)

(With 13 players alive, it takes 7 votes for a majority.)

Also, for anyone wondering, that was the "you forgot to give this vote count a name" vote count.
Hello Sunday, we have such marvelous plans together!
*gets caught up on mafia thread* Oh well, bye Sunday, guess we needed to cancel our plans!
Seriously, you guys talk a frakload, even considering there was talk of "weekend slump" - was extension really necessary then, and was the request for extension a scumplot?

elebutterfly: On flub's traffic cone (pylon schmylon), I seriously don't think there's anything in it. We would all be extremely angry if there were. I find Damnation's comment a bit suspect. Trying to defend with flavour rubs me up the wrong way.
Suspect me all you want, my point wasn't to defend flubbucket or anything of the sort, but to imply that I find the argument vague and weak. The mentioning of toaster is simply because I find the lack of refering to toasters as toasters disturbing. Watch some BSG, people!
Looking to build a case against me for agreeing with you, eh?

flubbucket: If a NK didn't happen it must have been because scum was brigged/blocked.

There's the WIFOM.
Which literally is not the case - read the rules. The brigged player cannot perform the NK, sure, but why wouldn't the other toasters be capable of doing so? If there is 1 toaster left, brigging them ends the game at nightfall. If there are two left, the other toaster merely performs the NK. Attempting to shift blame in the way you suggest either belies a more advanced knowledge of the setup, or a rather strange and convoluted strategy by toasters that would grant them a longer-than-necessary game?

JoeSapphire: MAYBE THE THING THAT I WAS FORGETTING:
No-body except cristi has even attempted to guess a scum team. I'm not asking you to get it right, but is no-one even keen to try? Just think of the accolades in the end game if you're correct! (like me).
I remember this practice from way back when, and back then I also thought of it as a fruitless exercise. You list your scum reads, and everyone can see you think someone scum or town, and that's that. No argumentation, nothing. I'm not going to bother making a long list with people I have reads on, because to me it isn't how I like to analyse people in this game. If my reads are not shining through what I write and whom I respond to, then you're likely not reading my posts thoroughly enough - if it indeed is a read I'm even willing to share.

JoeSapphire: damnation - uhhh... can't remember? I recently went back and re-read your posts because I couldn't remember anything you'd said. Now I can't again. Voting for me! Argh!
Of course I'm voting for you! Plus, I haven't found a reason yet to unvote you...

JoeSapphire: I predict a three mafia team with a role cop, a block and a ninja. (zfr = block, ele = cop, crist = ninja.
That's an awfully specific prediction. Are you jealous that you got the mafia vanilla while your scumbuddies got shiny powers?

HypersomniacLive: @Damnation

You all said that you last played here 4yrs ago. Have you been playing forum/online mafia anywhere else since? If yes, do you mind sharing where?
And have you observed/followed any of the games that took place after you stopped playing here?
Also, have you been playing mafia in the physical world? If yes, do any of you play together?

Now off to read what you all have been talking about.
It's longer than 4 years for me I'm pretty sure, but no, I have not played or observed forum mafia since. I've played various social deduction board games, such as Werewolf and The Resistance, and living in Denmark would largely prohibit playing with the UK'ers on any sort of regular basis.

JoeSapphire: Damnation! What have you found most interesting about the game so far?
You Joe. Always you.

HypersomniacLive: what do we learn from it if we get it wrong?
While I strongly agree with you on your points about using the brig mechanism, this question is not the right one to ask, I think - since the opposite really has largely the same answer: what do we learn if we get it right?
The real answer to using the brig is as you say: strategy.

cristigale: This made me chuckle.

@Damnation - Who do you find town or scum? Is your vote on Joe more than RVS?
Sorry to make you chuckle, I assure you it was never my intention. And who I find scum or not scum is explained in my reply to Joe's post on the same matter - my vote on him was RVS, and still in part is, but not completely.

elebutterfly: Also, for the record, I dislike referencing behaviour in completed games as "proof" someone is town in this one.. what's to prevent a scum player from deliberately copying their own behaviour in a game where they flipped town? It's "hard proof" that this is town behaviour, right? When, of course, anyone can read literally anyone as scummy on D1 because there's been no wagon to analyse and no lynch.... I find it suspect to try to prove one's self like that this early.
This is my exact stance on it as well, and I will argue that I find anyone refering to their behaviour in past games as highly scummy. I understand trent's argument of his reference, but it is still a bit scummy, though not nearly as much as ZFR's.
In essence, information of playstyles from previous games will either A) be disregarded as the game progresses, or B) lead to unsubstantial dossiers.
Simply put, people and their playstyles evolve. Player A might play in two consecutive games, but his playstyle should evolve, even if slightly. We experience and we learn from that, if our playstyles remain the exact same, then we have not learned anything from our previous game, even if only weeks apart.
Thusly, I think using it as a foundation for scumreading is largely unfounded, or scummy in itself - you're attempting to disregard anything the given person has learnt, claiming that experience is static. It's far too much WIFOM to be worth much.

flubbucket: My currenter scum team is: ZFR, Damnation, bler144.

The lurkier one gets the vote for now.
Not entirely surprised: Lynch all lurkers and all that. I'm sorry for my absence though, IRL doesn't allow me as much time as I would want to allocate to this. And this weekend was busy enough for me, but clearly not for most of you!

Damnation: Be away for a day due to an MTG Prerelease event and you 'Muricans fill this thread with a 100 posts...
JoeSapphire: Hey! Reckon I've done at least 45 of those 100 posts!
You didn't, really, bler did, and he wrote the lengthiest ones too!

elebutterfly: 9. Damnation -- Not Sure, for lack of data.
What happened to me leaning scum? Suddenly you do not have enough data to have a read on me, but previously you thought I leaned scum? I honestly find that very curious.
Back from work - will catch up

littlerabbit: ... but I also think it would be a huge pity to get to the end of the game and not have used it to brig flubbucket.
I agree with every word you said there.
trentonlf: Not sure how the formatting got so messed up it should be Posts 55, 89, 120, and 137.
Ah. My read is that he was bringing up the same answer because he kept being asked essentially the same question, and he's referring to a previous game where he randomed while town because he's being accused of being scummy for randoming. Granted, I haven't gone back to confirm separate posts where he was referenced as using Random.org.

HypersomniacLive: Why particularly this specific subset of players?
bler144: The better question is, "why vitek, considering you know he's not actually going to answer anyway?"
Huh. Bler dodged the question.

PoppyAppletree: Reading and writing privileges. I wouldn't be able to enforce a brigged Cylon not reading messages if it was the same link, so I'd need to give unbrigged Cylons a toastier place to hang out while their comrade was locked up.
I'm not sure I understand your answer. A brigged Cylon can't even read (new?) scum chat? Being unable to post to scum chat seems obvious (and easily checked), but not even being able to read it is surprising.

trentonlf: but as I can't vote for multiple people at once
BRIG TO THE RESCUE!!! :D

elebutterfly: - if a brig creates a new lynch scenario (9 to lynch becomes 8 to lynch for example), we're going to have to be really, really careful about this... it would be horribly easy to lynch someone via brigging, which has the potential to really muddy the waters in the analysis,
By now, everyone is aware that lynching someone via a brig vote is possible. If it happens, view the player with the exact same suspicion as you would if they had hammered the lynchee directly.

elebutterfly: - agree with Joe? and rabbit? that town does not control the brig, that's like saying town control the lynch. must look up who said that.
Town controls the brig exactly as much as Town controls the lynch. No more, no less.

[Cristi analyzes Flub avatar]
So we're doing this, then? Awesome-sauce. Fine, lets do it.

cristigale: Game #29 – Smelly Dungeon
Flub – Town Role Blocker
Avatar – Cartoon of a boy? In uniform? holding something? (this one is hard to make out)
By flavor, Flub was a Halfling in that game. He used a blow gun with some poison or something to enact the roleblock.

cristigale: Game #35 – The Ordinariest Ordinary Game
Flub – Mafia Goon
This is the one time I see flub use an avatar that is the opposite of his alignment
Goon's are basically the mafia's version of vanilla. This is a role reference, not alignment.

cristigale: Game #38 – Murder on the Wing
Flub – Town Miller
Avatar – Woman hugging (someone/something?) while giving the finger
I took it as a nod to his role.
Iirc, it was one of his many breadcrumbs about his Miller role. I seem to recall that the woman had the last name of Miller, and was from some TV show I've never heard of.

cristigale: -There are no apparent instances where flubb is town and uses a scum related avatar, which some are arguing in this game. I think it's more likely he is scum.
His avatars are more likely a breadcrumb for his role than his alignment. I'm seeing a future role or flavor claim from this, if anything, not a pun based alignment reference. Even the Jim Jones could easily be a reference to the CL role, not the alignment.

I'd have expected you to realize this as well. All I'm seeing here is Cristi hunting for a potential PR. Between this and the sleeper cylon question, my hackles are raised.

littlerabbit: Thumbs up to cristie for such an in-depth analysis that must have taken a lot of time to go through. I am reading the result as Flub looking scummy? I am unsure that his choice of avatar should be read into that much though, is he the kind if person to risk a cylon-referencing pic if he were a cylon? Should we be lynching someone based on their avatar?
Still reading cristie as town based on the above.
I see little rabbit is still basically sheeping other players. I'm not seeing any original thought.

Bookwyrm627: 1) Would you lynch a player on Day 1? This is kind of like a reversible lynch.
elebutterfly: Except brigging doesn't involve a card flip... And of course we would lynch a player on Day 1????? Scummiest thing I've read so far. We need data. We need a dead body. Are you proposing brigging instead of lynching Today?
Brigging also doesn't kill the player in question; they can still try to be persuasive and contribute to town, and we can undo the brig action to reactivate them as a full player if such a course of action seems wise.

My question about lynching on Day 1 was rhetorical; the answer should have been obvious, especially with my follow up commentary in that very bullet point.

Have any of the rest of my posting given any sort of even vague hint that I might be against a Day 1 lynch? I'm pretty sure the opposite should be obvious, that I'm happy to see more bodies hit the ground. I'm the (only!) one pushing for lynching AND brigging.

Unbrig vote Rabbit
Brig vote Elebutterfly

I'm seeing nothing town in post 226. I'd be happy to lynch Elebutt (I'll refrain in the future, but I couldn't resist doing it just once) if people prefer him over Joe.

=====

My current favorite for the scum team is Joe, Cristi, and Ele, with maybe Rabbit as a possible 4th.
cristigale: Game #28 – Grand Oak Gallows
Flub – Arsonist
Burning this flag is symbolic is some parts of America
True story - that was my first game. I spent the whole game thinking he just really liked the confederate flag and all it connoted.

Vitek: @all; Is it usual cristie's behaviour to base case on such things. (I would bold this but apparently it's forbidden now?)
Her play has adapted since she started playing more off-site. Historically (back when I played here) she played much closer to the chest regardless of alignment.

I guess I'm viewing her argument in the general category of "policy lynch." Not the best D1 lynch in terms of meaning, but...could be worse.

Personally I'm glad he's at least engaged and doing something....

But as to your question, her pushing anybody this early is newish to me, but having also dabbled off-site, watching Champs, etc., I don't tend to view it as alignment indicative either way for her. Will have to go back and re-read her though - curious what else is happening in game, from her POV besides this one bright shiny object.

But I don't have concerns about her fascination with said shiny object in its own right.

JoeSapphire: (I'm assuming arsonist is a anti-town role, I don't know if I know it...)
Oh no, he was definitely Town Arsonist. We knew that for sure early on because the 2 of the early flips were JMich's "Town bodyguard of arsonist" and Dedo's mafia firefighter. Ergo, town arsonist - voila!
PoppyAppletree: Reading and writing privileges. I wouldn't be able to enforce a brigged Cylon not reading messages if it was the same link, so I'd need to give unbrigged Cylons a toastier place to hang out while their comrade was locked up.
Bookwyrm627: I'm not sure I understand your answer. A brigged Cylon can't even read (new?) scum chat? Being unable to post to scum chat seems obvious (and easily checked), but not even being able to read it is surprising.
Seems you understand fine. :) Being brigged cuts a Cylon player out of their chat for the duration.

(And, for the avoidance of doubt, there is no Cylon day chat. I don't believe in it, probably because of real life games.)

((Also, since everyone seems to be interested in who's played with who, I've done Mafia games with the following: Damnation, SPF, Vitek, had elebutterfly as a mod, and possibly played with JoeSapphire?))

(((Me?)))
Post edited July 09, 2018 by PoppyAppletree
ZFR: For me, I refused to give my "top 3" list because I could be even 1 or 2 or even 6 suspects, regardless of the number of actual scum. In fact the hypotheses against my most scummy players could be contradictory, but that's OK, because if one is proven true, another is automatically proven false.

Of course I can't be 100% sure of which hypotheses are true and not. Figuring that out is the poker part of the game (and in my previous game I made a terrible job of it; almost all my reads turn out to be crap; mchack did a much better job).

(And this is not saying that my method is better or anything; Let each person investigate in whatever way suits them).

littlerabbit: & How can sharing suspicions NOT be helpful to town? (I don't care if it was in another game). At the 13 votes stage, we have to point the gun somewhere.
ZFR: Wait, I never said that. I said I refuse to make "top 3" lists, not sharing my suspicions/hypotheses.

2. Exactly. Everyone here is intelligent enough to know that if doing X is town-indicative then they should do it. Regardless of their alignment.

----------------------------------------------------

1) Now a little bit of something else. I almost always, based on my numerous Resistance in-person games, found that "be-friendly-to-newbs" is a sure scum tactic. Which makes me lean town on trent (though we played before; I'm I still a newbie to him?). Not sure about Joe. But bler's behaviour is firing off all the warning bells that friendly-scum adalia did in the previous one. I'm hoping it's just because he is one of the few people here who with whom I was friends outside mafia, but I can't shake that feeling.
1. I generally try and be friendly to everyone. Except yogs. Though I will also inevitably end up also insulting someone or losing my mind and yelling at someone. Thankfully HiJack isn't playing.

Number of things happening there in general, but specific to you in this scenario, a la Ele's post (re flubwagon), the point isn't just WHOM gets lynched, but WHY the wagon builds. If town!you gets lynched just for doing newbie things, then we're stuck with nothing to go off D2. Scum can either easily justify being on or off that wagon.

But sure, D1 you should suspect whatever floats your boat b/c the only data you have (presumably regardless of alignment since no N0 indicated, and no day chat confirmed) is post#1 and your PM, and if you want to make a case on me based on winkys, go for it. Note that if you are scum and I'm friendly to someone else you can flip it around and suggest I'm coaching them.

2. Only to a point. Say scum!Joe and scum!bler. Joe has 3 votes. Aside from trying to mimic a town mindset, in that scenario I would also have to juggle how much to distract from or attack the wagon (a claim I'm at least slightly vulnerable to if he later flips scum not just in D1) to save a buddy for strategic or numerical considerations, or whether to bus him for town cred. So I think you're still oversimplifying, but all in all that's a better explanation from you.

I'm also not sure why you hate lists so much - just b/c of one experience where someone got tunneled/distracted by their list it's ultimately just a tool like anything else and can be used well or poorly. But that's NAI.

Outside of some pretty specific cases, I disagree with your logic on one is proven true/false. There are plenty of times that's not true. Two players who look like they can't be W/W still could be - what we typically mean is that, relative to other possibilities, it's unlikely. Not that it's certain. Yogs in particular was wont to do things that defied all semblance of common strategy, but it worked for him...at least until everyone got to the point of concluding that nothing he did would ever clear him because there was always an example of something outlandish he had actually done as scum that was even more unlikely.

3. So...other than me being too friendly, what other dynamics do you see happening around the table?
elebutterfly: Except brigging doesn't involve a card flip... And of course we would lynch a player on Day 1????? Scummiest thing I've read so far. We need data. We need a dead body. Are you proposing brigging instead of lynching Today?

I was with you until that last sentence... if so, town would always win. I just don't think the proof of towniness based on behaviour in previous games is solid reasoning (and IMHO it feels like bad sportsmanship, but that's an argument for outside this thread that should not be pursued here.)
On the whole I quite liked this post on first read, though two things jumped out:

1) I don't recall him saying anything of the sort. Where did this notion come from, or is it just shade throwin' time?

2) Your second proposition assumes town plays well, that the game is balanced, etc. In my experience the most common reason town loses is inactivity/poor play. Or smurfs putting town in a position to win and then frakking it up. Every. Single. Time.

Well, ok, except twice I didn't. But those early ones stung.

Damnation: 1. Hello Sunday, we have such marvelous plans together!
*gets caught up on mafia thread* Oh well, bye Sunday, guess we needed to cancel our plans!
Seriously, you guys talk a frakload, even considering there was talk of "weekend slump" - was extension really necessary then, and was the request for extension a scumplot?

You didn't, really, bler did, and he wrote the lengthiest ones too!
But normally it is dead around here. Pretty different lineup than we're used to probably part of the reason (which is what compelled vitek to play, and that guy just won't stop yakking). And someone asked why I wasn't taking the weekend quietly - in my current job I'm only able to play at all evenings/weekends now.

I do find it a bit interesting a. that you didn't mention me as scummy given that I probably talk about historical games more than anyone else (though to be fair, I talk about pretty much everything more than anyone else), and b. that, unless I'm missing something, at least part of your read on JoeS is meta, isn't it? Given that I'm town-reading him, I wonder if you'd care to try and enlighten/persuade me on what it is you think I'm not seeing there?

Tempted to move you out of the POE though.

JoeSapphire: . Those that know it as pylon; is it very common to call it so?
It's moderately common in the U.S., possibly a regionalism. It's not the word I use, but as soon as she said it I knew what she meant by it, and don't think it's accidental. Which flub has basically confirmed anyway when he said "clever girl", making the question a bit moot, no?

JoeSapphire: and probably he deserves to get lynched for it every now and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr-Lj9TnJOE

SirPrimalform: Not everyone here is a mirkin!
My mirkins are the smurfiest.

flubbucket: The lurkier one gets the vote for now.
Huh. I missed this on first pass. I don't know whether to make a joke about pottoasters calling kettles black, or just run around the room picking up the pieces of my head for reassemblage.

So...we should like, start prioritizing voting lurkers you think?

I'd break this up into multi-posts on any other site, but don't seem to be a lot of bumps all of a sudden.

Bookwyrm627: Huh. Bler dodged the question.
Did I tell you the story about the orc bodyguard?

If flub is a cylon he should have gone withMilton as his avatar.
Bookwyrm627: Huh. Bler dodged the question.
bler144: Did I tell you the story about the orc bodyguard?
Hm. No, I don't think so. Is this one of those stories where you kind of had to be there?
bler144: Did I tell you the story about the orc bodyguard?
Bookwyrm627: Hm. No, I don't think so. Is this one of those stories where you kind of had to be there?
Yeah, probably.

Man, I really wish you had been there.
Bookwyrm627: Hm. No, I don't think so. Is this one of those stories where you kind of had to be there?
bler144: Yeah, probably.

Man, I really wish you had been there.
Me too, man, me too. I think it would have been a blast.
Two short things before I go to bed.

SPF jumped on the ZFR train a bit soon for me with no real reasoning.

@ele because ZFR said that they don't think people can be 75% sure x is scum, which is just wrong. Yes, scum/not scum is usually an absolute value, BUT the amount of suspicion one has is by definition a graded spectrum. Therefore, he is both wrong and being unhelpful by not encouraging suspicion share. By this s am e argument, Joe is looking Town to me.
bler144: .....<smurf>...........

flubbucket: The lurkier one gets the vote for now.
bler144: Huh. I missed this on first pass. I don't know whether to make a joke about pottoasters calling kettles black, or just run around the room picking up the pieces of my head for reassemblage.

So...we should like, start prioritizing voting lurkers you think?

Damnation has 07 posts.
SirPrimalform has 12 posts.
ZFR has 18 posts.

And for the record flubbucket has 16 (now 17).

Best of luck reassembling your head, sassmaster. =p