It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
!!! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING !!!

== BUG REPORTING ==

Please use: http://mantis.gog.com and include
1. steps to reproduce the bug (if possible)
2. screenshot or movie showing the bug (if possible)
3. Galaxy Client logs (see below)

Where can I find Galaxy logs on my computer?
On Windows 7 or later: C:\ProgramData\GOG.com\Galaxy\Logs
On Mac OS X: /Users/Shared/GOG.com/Galaxy/Logs

== FEATURE SUGGESTIONS ==

Please use: http://www.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy. For feature suggestions and votes on them please try do explain how Galaxy and its users will really benefit from it.

== IMPORT ALREADY INSTALLED GAMES TO GALAXY ==

1. For GOG games installed using installers from the last few months (so called Galaxy-compatible installers)
Click the Galaxy logo button on top of the sidebar and select "scan and import folders" - it will find all compatible games within that folder and add them to the Client.

2. For remaining GOG game INSTALLATIONS
Find the game in the Library (click on the image of the game), then click the More button and select "Manage Installation" -> "Import folder" and point the folder selector into the folder where that game is installed.

== KNOWN ISSUES ==
- throttling max download speed is not yet possible
- notifications related to incoming chat messages and friend requests does not always disappear instantly when consumed and may require reloading Store page
- games imported from existing installations will auto-update once, even if updating is disabled
- Moving Galaxy from /Applications on Mac OS X will stop the app from working
- Galaxy cannot be launched by other users on the same computer
Post edited October 03, 2016 by Liosan
high rated
Hi Everyone,

Below you can find the changelog of GOG Galaxy.

Changelog 1.1.15 (September 7th, 2016):
Changes / Improvements:
• Added Wallet button in dropdown menu under user's avatar
• Performance improvements on UI speed and a little on CPU usage
• Enabled copying text in Galaxy forums
• History will now remember only the 100 most recent pages in history
Bugfixes:
• Fix for "Disk access problem" bug, which broke installation and updates of games. (Bug happened on Windows only, but general mechanism is better on OS X as well)
• Fix for Verify/Repair, which did not work in some scenarios (The above bug for example)
• Fix for "Server problem" while downloading backup installers or other goodies. They will now work, even if temporary download folder is same as destination folder
• Fixed situations in which Store page sometimes did not load properly after waking up computer

Changelog 1.1.16 (September 19th, 2016):
Improvements:
• Galaxy now supports H.264 codecs
• Much better handling of paying using third party processors (PayPal, paysafecard etc.)
• Friends and chat window now scale with the system scaling factor
• New and prettier GOG Eula will be used in games
• Better handling of loading timeouts

Bugfixes:
• "INSTALLED" label will appear all pages of the library now
• Fixed a bug with game time tracking for some games. Galaxy will now register more than one minute:)
• Fixed a bug in which Galaxy in rare cases could not be able to update the game (bug rather existed in rollbacks)
• Galaxy will no longer show a little bit of bare code upon launching
• Fixed blurred images in sidebar expanded list mode

Changelog 1.1.17(hotfix September 20th, 2016):
• Fixed crashes and 'Disk Access Problem' caused by updating Galaxy from 1.1.12 (and earlier versions) to 1.1.16

Changelog 1.1.18 (October 19th, 2016):
Improvements:
• More accurate game time tracking mechanism
• Improved mechanism showing current online status between friends

Bugfixes:
• Fixed a bug which caused Galaxy to stop tracking game time

Changelog 1.1.19 (October 25th, 2016):
Improvements:
• We have removed download size from Galaxy updater. It showed faulty data, as Galaxy Updater doesn't download > 100mb each time and only downloads differences. It will come back in nearest future, when it will show correct data:)
• The first check for game updates will be done 15s after Galaxy starts, instead of 5 minutes.
• OSX: Improved mechanism responsible for removing old files left by Galaxy updates
• OSX: Improved the way Galaxy handles installing games into protected locations like /Applications; you will receive a password prompt about a "Helper tool" installation

Bugfixes:
• Fixed "Essential components missing" error which sometimes appeared after fresh installation
• Fixed a situation where failure in Updater could lead to Galaxy not being able to launch
• Fixed self-update on OSX to properly delete leftover files
• Fixed friends window losing functionality after network loss and reconnect
• Fixed blurry Windows 10 Galaxy tray icon
• Galaxy will remember maximised window status

Changelog 1.1.20(November 2nd, 2016)
Bugfixes:
• Fixed installing XNA4 and other msi-based dependencies.
• Store page won't be reloaded twice upon logging in

Changelog: 1.1.21 (November 17th, 2016)
Improvements / changes:
• Added "with preview updates" suffix to Galaxy window title
• Small optimizations with memory and Galaxy loading time
• Small improvements with updater, it should fail less

Bugfixes:
• Fixed a bug with Galaxy refreshing pages
• Fixed occasional crashes

Changelog 1.1.22 (November 22nd, 2016)
Bugfixes:
• Galaxy will no longer freeze when downloading a game update and checking another game in library
• Galaxy should crash even less now:)

Changelog 1.1.23 (November 28th, 2016)
Bugfixes:
• Galaxy will be now able to reconnect to internet correctly, if computer was put to sleep and then woken up without (initially) Internet connection
• Downloading of games/updates should have less impact on starting other installations

Changelog 1.1.24(December 6th, 2016)
Bugfixes:
• Downloading an installer with Galaxy and using it to install the game should not result in redownloading the whole game again
• Updater should no longer report over 100% progress on download

Adjustments:
• Increased timeout for failures during sign in
• Increased timeout for "Loading Timeout"

Changelog 1.1.25 (December 20th, 2016)
Bugfixes:
• Fixed a crash when trying to install certain games (Game affected was 1979 Revolution: Black Friday).

Changelog 1.1.26 (December 23rd, 2016, Preview only)
Changes:
• Introduced new downloading mechanism

Changelog 1.1.27 (January 26th, 2017, Preview)
Bugfixes:
• Aborting or pausing downloads will be smoother (They will stop faster)
• Pausing downloads will no longer cause memory usage to go super high

Changelog 1.1.27 (January 31th, 2017)
Changes:
• Introduced new downloading mechanism
Bugfixes:
• Aborting or pausing downloads will be smoother (They will stop faster)
• Pausing downloads will no longer cause memory usage to go super high

Changelog 1.1.28 (March 10th, 2017)
Changes / Improvements:
- Better support for differential patches. They are now seperate depending on game's language and system bitness
- Italian & Japanese partial support + more Spanish translations
- Improved checking for new available updates of the games
- We'll sort available DLCs alphabetically
Bugfixes:
- Fixed a crash when Galaxy doesn't have permissions to the logs directory
- Fixed showing empty grey page after a while of inactivity
- Fixed infinite spinner after going to support page
- Fixed displaying of prices in cart when they were over 999 (Bug caused by a comma in the price)
- MacOS: Popup windows (for example chat) will no longer open as a tab but as a separate window instead
- MacOS: Fixed memory leak (~30MB upon GOG Galaxy launch)
- MacOS: Fixed memory leak while playing a game

Changelog 1.1.29 (March 14nd, 2017)
Changes:
- Changes in downloading mechanism, which allows for better control over download's flow
Bugfixes:
- Fixed displaying progress of differential patches (It did not display the "Extracting" status)

Changelog 1.1.30 (March 16th, 2017)
Bugfixes:
- Fixed a crash within games downloading mechanism

== PREVIEW UPDATES* ===

HOW TO ENABLE PREVIEWS?
Go to your Galaxy settings and check the option to receive preview updates.

HOW TO DISABLE PREVIEW?
- Uninstall Galaxy
- Download current installer from gog.com/galaxy
- Install Galaxy
- Import your games

Changelog 1.2.0 (March 22nd, 2017)
Changes and improvements:
- Cloud saves backup and syncing (supported games only)
- Screenshot capture with F12 (supported games only)
- In-game overlay with FPS counter and notifications (supported games only)
- Greatly improved chat, also in overlay
- Ability to enable or disable achievements, game time tracking, auto-updating games and more
- Desktop and in-game notifications system
- Ability to set bandwidth limit and scheduler
- New settings window
- Rarity information in achievements
- Abort button next to installation status
- Only one Galaxy Updater window will be shown in most cases
- GOG Galaxy updates will be downloaded in the background
- Games are now downloaded directly to their install directory, instead of a temporary location
- Galaxy changelog is displayed in Galaxy

Bugfixes:
- Fixed game time tracking issues
- Initial size of Galaxy Client window will respect Windows scaling
- Improved Windows 10 Galaxy tray icon
- Fixed a bug which caused Galaxy to redownload whole data in case of a failure of installation/update
- Thumbnail highlighting in media gallery now works properly
- Decreased client's network and CPU usage (especially for a lot of games)
- MacOS: Fixed situation when Galaxy Client could downloading due to App Nap
- MacOS: Fixed crash when logging out with "New post" popup open
- MacOS: Fixed game processes not being properly cleaned up after exiting
Post edited March 22, 2017 by TheTomasz
high rated
For everyone who has a problem with missing api-ms-crt dlls in Client's versions post 1.1.5:
Please install one of those windows update: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2999226 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3118401
You may need to update Windows to meet the requirements for these:
For Windows 8.1 and for Windows Server 2012: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2919355
For Windows 7 and for Windows Server 2008 R2: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/976932

You can also try reinstalling Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables 2015 (x86) if you meet above requirements.
Available here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

If above instructions doesn't work for you, create a separate issue on mantis.gog.com and we'll try to help you individually.

Please note that this solution only helps with the missing api-ms-crt dlls.

========================================================================================

Answering this question: Why 1.1 doesn't work after updating to 1.2?

This is happening probably due to incompatible database from version 1.2, please delete this folder:
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\GOG.com\Galaxy\storage
usually
C:\ProgramData\GOG.com\storage\

Then you'll have to use scan&import (menu under the top Galaxy logo) function to see your games back in Galaxy Client.
Attachments:
Post edited March 27, 2017 by TheTomasz
Please add the Linux client soon.
Mac is already based on a Linux kernel anyway, and a lot of Windows users have skipped Win10 in favour of Ubuntu, Mint, or other (Debian-based) Linux distros.

Some progress report on this would be helpful.
I have a prolem with this program. When i try to open it, I have the error 0xc000007b.
Help!
Maki: Please add the Linux client soon.
Mac is already based on a Linux kernel anyway, and a lot of Windows users have skipped Win10 in favour of Ubuntu, Mint, or other (Debian-based) Linux distros.

Some progress report on this would be helpful.
OSX is a Unix. It's not built on Linux.
juhergi222: I have a prolem with this program. When i try to open it, I have the error 0xc000007b.
Help!
Instructions for reporting a bug are in the 1st post. HTH
I can't get Galaxy to import Stalker Clear Sky despite i set it to scan the GOG folder it created when i installed it through the setup file. It says there are no games to import. Using the latest Galaxy version.

What's wrong?

EDIT: It seems it's not being able to import any games. It's the GOG folder just under C: drive. This happens only when i install them from the backup files.

EDIT 2: So it does work when i am importing the games separately but not with the "scan and import folders" function. I've also checked that the backup files are new so it can't be them being incompatible with Galaxy in any way.
Post edited February 03, 2016 by klappis
I started playing Witcher 3 again launched through Galaxy and earned an achievement whose timestamp read "in 7 hours" when I unlocked it. It now says "in 6 hours". I find this really odd and am not sure if this is some kind of bug I should report.
Trying to download this but it's going so damn slow. I've tested my speed on Speedtest and it's fine at 25 Mb/s, yet i can only down this at 40KB/s
klappis: I can't get Galaxy to import Stalker Clear Sky despite i set it to scan the GOG folder it created when i installed it through the setup file. It says there are no games to import. Using the latest Galaxy version.

What's wrong?

EDIT: It seems it's not being able to import any games. It's the GOG folder just under C: drive. This happens only when i install them from the backup files.

EDIT 2: So it does work when i am importing the games separately but not with the "scan and import folders" function. I've also checked that the backup files are new so it can't be them being incompatible with Galaxy in any way.
Go to the game's page in your library, then click on More->Manage->Import and navigate to the directory where the game is installed and it should import fine. For some reason that is necessary for some of the games to import properly. I had to do this with the last 3 games I tried to import as well, but once I did this they imported fine.

Note that when a game finishes importing Galaxy will automatically do a verification check to compare it with what is on GOG's Galaxy servers and synchronize any differences. When it is doing this sometimes the visuals shown give the impression that it might be downloading gigabytes of data when it is actually just comparing the data. Hopefully they'll change the way this is visibly shown to users to not be alarming and misleading in the future though. The sync verification usually only takes a few seconds assuming it doesn't need to actually download anything, which is the normal case. If it does start syncing a lot of data, then either your local install files/installation are out of date or you might have installed mods or something. Note that Galaxy will wipe out mods (as there is no technical way to distinguish between an intentionally modified game and a corrupt or infected game) so you should disable auto-updates on such games so any mods don't get overwritten.

Hope this helps.
S.SIMON: I started playing Witcher 3 again launched through Galaxy and earned an achievement whose timestamp read "in 7 hours" when I unlocked it. It now says "in 6 hours". I find this really odd and am not sure if this is some kind of bug I should report.
A few people have mentioned this lately, probably should file a bug report in the Mantis bug tracker, details in 1st post. If you do, probably a good idea to also include your Galaxy logs and perhaps screenshots etc.
Post edited February 03, 2016 by skeletonbow
I was trying to download a game with Galaxy but it was listing the size as x2 the files. I'm inclined to believe it would have wasted my bandwidth on that one. Also tried to import a folder of an installed game and it decided to redownload the whole thing. I also don't get why it needs a restart to be installed either.

Long story short, I'm glad Downloader is still available. Thank you for not removing it. Galaxy should be remade from the ground up modularly and with an open source license. I still think you should have used the Desura backend which is also open source, as opposed to giving us something that lacks basic functionality and intuitivity (over 9 months now?) from launch. You'll be too busy fixing bugs to add functionality at this rate.
MaximumBunny: I was trying to download a game with Galaxy but it was listing the size as x2 the files. I'm inclined to believe it would have wasted my bandwidth on that one.
Galaxy lacks compression, this is planned for the next update I believe based on what GOG devs have said. So should be improved soon. So not a bug, just lack of a planned feature.

MaximumBunny: Also tried to import a folder of an installed game and it decided to redownload the whole thing. I also don't get why it needs a restart to be installed either.
Most likely the importing of an installed game wasn't re-downloading the entire game. It currently shows Galaxy is re-downloading the entire game but only downloads what is needed. You can monitor the !Downloads folder size to see what is really downloading. Not a huge issue that I expect will be fixed soon enough.

MaximumBunny: Long story short, I'm glad Downloader is still available. Thank you for not removing it. Galaxy should be remade from the ground up modularly and with an open source license. I still think you should have used the Desura backend which is also open source, as opposed to giving us something that lacks basic functionality and intuitivity (over 9 months now?) from launch. You'll be too busy fixing bugs to add functionality at this rate.
Disagree with that. Galaxy is stable enough for beta use ( though arguably not open beta). Rome wasn't built in a day. The bad part about Galaxy is they clearly rushed it out to open beta for the Witcher 3. I typically support open source software, but that last thing I want to see is many different Galaxy forks. The one official source is all we need here. If we look at Steam, it was crap for years and I believe even remained in beta for years before starting to really come together. Give GOG 2 or 3 years then we can evaluate if something drastic needs to change.

The only reason that Galaxy has been in a constant limbo the last few months is because there re-designing the back end for compression, delta patching, giving devs the ability to push out patches, etc. A significant task. But in it's current state there is nothing significant enough as far as bugs go that can't be fixed or that would take a significant time to fix.

But I dare say they either need to push out 1.1.6 as a bug fix or get 1.2.0 out soon enough... as I think we are all getting a bit tired of waiting for a new update.
Post edited February 06, 2016 by BKGaming
MaximumBunny: I was trying to download a game with Galaxy but it was listing the size as x2 the files. I'm inclined to believe it would have wasted my bandwidth on that one. Also tried to import a folder of an installed game and it decided to redownload the whole thing. I also don't get why it needs a restart to be installed either.
Yes, as talked about almost daily in the thread here the current incarnation of the Galaxy client downloads an already decompressed version of the game's files because it does not currently implement compression. They've stated they're working on that feature and it's slated for a future release though, most likely the next major release since it is probably the single most talked about issue with the client along with delta updates.

When a game is imported, Galaxy client attempts to sync it to what is on the Galaxy servers to ensure the files are not corrupted in any way in the install. When it does this, the percentage bar shown along with the amount of data being shown as being downloaded can be huge. It might show that it is about to download 4GB of data when in reality all it is doing is checking 4GB of the game on your hard disk, comparing that with 4GB on the Galaxy server, and downloading little to nothing even though it says it is downloading 4GB. That is just bad UI design, misleading people to think it is downloading a massive amount of data when it actually isn't. Unfortunately for whatever reasons sometimes it decides the game on disk does not match the Galaxy server copy so it does in fact download it all again anyway. It makes sense if the installed version of the game is not the current version, but this actually happens sometimes when you have just downloaded the most recent installer files and install them right away. Fortunately it doesn't seem to happen with too many games. Hopefully they sort that all out soon though.

MaximumBunny: Long story short, I'm glad Downloader is still available. Thank you for not removing it. Galaxy should be remade from the ground up modularly and with an open source license. I still think you should have used the Desura backend which is also open source, as opposed to giving us something that lacks basic functionality and intuitivity (over 9 months now?) from launch. You'll be too busy fixing bugs to add functionality at this rate.
I'm really not sure why people keep saying stuff like this as if GOG is completely incompetent or something. Before some company decides to embark on a multi-year software development project like Galaxy they are of course going to sit down and come up with a list of goals and objectives for the project/product which they wish to produce and then they're going to examine every possible way out there to try to achieve their goal including looking into existing free or licensable technologies. The Desura software can be as open source as it wants to, but it doesn't come remotely close to providing the features and functionality that GOG is trying to do with Galaxy, not to mention that Desura is currently going belly up in bankruptcy. Betting the farm on some other competitor's code that doesn't really do anything of what they want or need anyway would not have made Galaxy happen any sooner.

It seems like some people just want the fastest easiest possible solution to get the quickest short term thing to use. I've used the Desura client enough to know that open source or not, it is a slow steaming pile of crap. That's my impression of it anyway.

When you look at all the components GOG needs including backend APIs for Galaxy multiplayer and other services, the majority of the code they need to write is going to be on the back end, and APIs, etc. so starting with the free OSS Desura client wouldn't really help to achieve that goal anyway.

Not to mention that using 3rd party stuff like that is going down the path of NIH syndrome (not invented here).

No, GOG had a vision of what they wanted to achieve, decided that the only way to reach their goals was to develop their own software and services to meet what their own needs are, and they chose a quite sensible set of frameworks to implement the client with using a Chromium base (like most others do as well).

They've sunk countless hours into the design of this and while it's clear that the development of Galaxy is an ambitious project that is taking a lot longer to finish than they may have initially anticipated, it's well underway now. Any suggestions people have to shit can what is currently 2+ years of development effort put in by them and redesign everything using a crappy 3rd party client from a business that is in bankruptcy is quite frankly just insulting. They may be taking longer than anticipated to complete the projects and product, but they've got much bigger goals to reach than anything Desura ever embarked to do with their software/services, and GOG has both a lot greater success behind their belt already in the industry, as well as longer term vision than some of their competitors like Desura have had.

If they're guilty of doing anything wrong, perhaps it would be announcing Galaxy too early and releasing Galaxy alpha and beta too early and it taking longer to get to that highly anticipated feature complete stable release. If they simply kept it in house and tight lipped until they got the finished product completed and out the door, none of us would have seen any of the growing pains along the way.

Galaxy may be feature incomplete and buggy right now, but I for one would have been greatly disappointed if they'd decided to try and cut corners by using the crappy Desura client as a code base. It generally takes longer to do something right and do it yourself than to cut corners and take short cuts.

I'll take the buggy Galaxy client and missing features over that any day.
BKGaming: Galaxy lacks compression, this is planned for the next update I believe based on what GOG devs have said. So should be improved soon. So not a bug, just lack of a planned feature.
<snip>
The only reason that Galaxy has been in a constant limbo the last few months is because there re-designing the back end for compression, delta patching, giving devs the ability to push out patches, etc. A significant task. But in it's current state there is nothing significant enough as far as bugs go that can't be fixed or that would take a significant time to fix.

But I dare say they either need to push out 1.1.6 as a bug fix or get 1.2.0 out soon enough... as I think we are all getting a bit tired of waiting for a new update.
I think you nailed it right there. A lot of the work GOG has on their plate is implementing all of the customer invisible back end server code to handle delta updates, and the various Galaxy APIs etc. All most of us actually see is the GUI client, but it's like an iceberg. For every megabyte of binary/code/whatever we see on our end there are probably 20MB on their back end to contend with.

Steam took years to get into any remotely decent shape, and other ambitious platforms are going to take the time to be able to do these things right too. Not to mention that GOG is making Galaxy entirely optional so they need to do a lot more extra work in game packaging, patchwork etc. also.

The wait is long in the tooth for sure, but I favour seeing them do it right and with good internal QA testing than just push random broken code out the door every few weeks. There are pros and cons to both approaches, but I think they're on the right track now. There's definitely epic levels of anticipation building for GalaxyNext(TM) :)
skeletonbow: I'm really not sure why people keep saying stuff like this as if GOG is completely incompetent or something.
Maybe it's true. I'm actually surprised when I hear they're in the green. They rely too heavily on their existing base and have significant trouble reaching out to new users.

skeletonbow: They've sunk countless hours into the design of this and while it's clear that the development of Galaxy is an ambitious project that is taking a lot longer to finish than they may have initially anticipated, it's well underway now. Any suggestions people have to shit can what is currently 2+ years of development effort put in by them and redesign everything using a crappy 3rd party client from a business that is in bankruptcy is quite frankly just insulting.

I'll take the buggy Galaxy client and missing features over that any day.
Galaxy is among the worst pieces of software I have used honestly. To have only gotten this far in 2+ years is already a failure if the team is bigger than 2-3 people. Desurium as the base was just a suggestion because it actually works and has better functionality out of the box than Galaxy has developed, and more than they will have developed in the next year+. There are other options if the license was a problem. If anyone's to be insulted, it should be the users of GOG.

While you're free to support the project based on blind loyalty, that's not really a compelling argument for anyone. We all agree that they're inefficient. You just prefer to forgive and defend them rather than take the appropriate business stance. In business where jobs and money are involved, they're professionals before people. You need competent employees that meet deadlines and expectations.

They'll be paying 5+ years of salary for a 1 year job with these guys now, to put it into perspective for you. And if the team is 10+ people, you're talking about $400,000+ a year totaling over €2,000,000 for Galaxy by the end of 5 years (if it happens), plus maintenance and updates. That's before it ever reaches profitability. Do you see why it's important to be critical? Time is money and good management is essential. If Galaxy doesn't bring in money then it loses money. It's not just "the optional client". Galaxy is a customer acquisition tool and it's a serious investment on their part that needs to pay off sooner than later.
MaximumBunny: Galaxy is among the worst pieces of software I have used honestly.
What software are you using? I've used far far worse software than Galaxy and that was in a released state. 120+ games installed, 0 major issues... a few small bugs now and then.

MaximumBunny: They'll be paying 5+ years of salary for a 1 year job with these guys now, to put it into perspective for you. And if the team is 10+ people, you're talking about $400,000+ a year totaling over €2,000,000 for Galaxy by the end of 5 years (if it happens), plus maintenance and updates. That's before it ever reaches profitability. Do you see why it's important to be critical? Time is money and good management is essential. If Galaxy doesn't bring in money then it loses money. It's not just "the optional client". Galaxy is a customer acquisition tool and it's a serious investment on their part that needs to pay off sooner than later.
Who says it's not getting them new customers? We have zero data that says either way, what we do know is the Witcher 3 brought in many new customers, many of which use Galaxy on a daily basis. We also know many people avoided GOG because it lacked a client.

Your also forgetting something else. Galaxy can be automated to the point were it can save GOG money, which they have already stated is planned. If they automate for example patching as well as the standalone installers, then that's zero time and investment on manually having to do this.

Galaxy is a free product... it's goal is not to directly make money. It will however bring in client lovers, and developers who feel it is essential to have features like achievements to sell there games which is nearly every developer today. That in turn will be where Galaxy will benefit GOG the most.
Post edited February 07, 2016 by BKGaming
MaximumBunny: Maybe it's true. I'm actually surprised when I hear they're in the green. They rely too heavily on their existing base and have significant trouble reaching out to new users.
Do you have factual information to back up this claim, or is that just personal speculation?

MaximumBunny: While you're free to support the project based on blind loyalty, that's not really a compelling argument for anyone. We all agree that they're inefficient. You just prefer to forgive and defend them rather than take the appropriate business stance. In business where jobs and money are involved, they're professionals before people. You need competent employees that meet deadlines and expectations.
I've been a paying customer of GOG since October 2012 roughly and I've been a satisfied customer to date. I'm happy with the quality of the games overall, and with GOG's customer support and service. I'm happy with what I know about the company's goals and agenda overall as well as their overall performance. I was happy at the announcement of Galaxy and the various features/functionality they claim to be aiming to provide, and have positive thoughts that they'll achieve what they've stated they plan to do with it and to date they haven't given me any reason to think otherwise. I do not have "blind loyalty" to GOG, nor any company for that matter, and anyone reading my comments in the thread (and elsewhere in the forums) over time will have seen that I have praised them for some good things, and critiqued them for some things they've gotten wrong. There is nothing blind about how I view GOG's Galaxy project.

I think what they are trying to do with Galaxy is a good thing, but I also think that they released it in alpha before it should have been, and that the public beta was also rushed in order to be available for The Witcher 3's launch. I speculate that they may have underestimated the amount of work and time commitment it would take to implement all of the features stated in the initial announcement video and take the project to out of beta "stable" status, however I don't believe they've ever publicly given a release date either. It's possible that they are very much on target and many of us speculate that it is behind schedule due to it being released in development form publicly so early. Hard to really know for sure if they've never published or stated an official release date target.

Like most people interested in the client I wish it was further along than it is currently, but I'm quite comfortable to be patient and let them take whatever time they need to take to do it right. The way I see it, they're further along and we have more to show for right now than if they had never announced any intention to create a client and never worked on it to begin with. To the best of my knowledge they have not broken any promises they've made in their video announcement so far, they simply haven't completed it enough yet to have achieved all of the stated goals. I don't disagree with you about the importance of having competent employees and goals and deadlines, but we only know some of their goals, and have no idea what their deadlines are except individual personal speculation.

They've certainly made some mistakes with timing and quality issues to date, but I don't think it is fair to judge their employees competency based on that either. Everyone makes mistakes in project design and development whether they're competent or not. If they've made any error to date with project management, it would IMHO be releasing the software too early in the development cycle perhaps with a "release early, release often" modus operandi. That way of doing things can work better with many open source projects but I've seen it fail for them too, and it doesn't generally seem to work well with commercial products where customers/users are not actively involved in the project themselves but can definitely be highly critical of flaws in project and process without being able to transparently see all of the behind the scenes process occurring. Where there are gaps, people fill in their own hypotheses and assumptions which may or may not be close to the mark.

MaximumBunny: They'll be paying 5+ years of salary for a 1 year job with these guys now, to put it into perspective for you. And if the team is 10+ people, you're talking about $400,000+ a year totaling over €2,000,000 for Galaxy by the end of 5 years (if it happens), plus maintenance and updates. That's before it ever reaches profitability. Do you see why it's important to be critical? Time is money and good management is essential. If Galaxy doesn't bring in money then it loses money. It's not just "the optional client". Galaxy is a customer acquisition tool and it's a serious investment on their part that needs to pay off sooner than later.
At best, all we can do is speculate about that. We do not have any factual numbers about how many developers are working on Galaxy or what their salaries are, what the total costs are of the project, and what positive or negative effect on cashflow it may have had. They seem to be growing successfully as evidenced by many positive gains last year with new publishers and games, and with the launch of The Witcher 3 bringing in somewhere around half the worldwide sales of the game. Most likely the majority of those sales ended up using Galaxy to install the game too, and it more likely than not brought a tonne of new people to the site. The forums have been awash with tonnes of newbie users since galaxy came out.

Their parent company is publicly traded, and no doubt they have to publish financial information for their subsidiaries. I haven't tried to find it personally, but I'd be rather shocked if GOG has not grown significantly in both positive cashflow and revenue in the last 2 years. All of the public visible signs to observe suggest they're growing fast and doing well. I haven't personally seen any signs that would remotely suggest that Galaxy is a struggling failure that is going to break the bank, but if you have please share it with us.

Galaxy is pretty obviously a long term business strategy. All that we currently see is the short term state of one part of the software - the client. Companies around the world develop massive pieces of software like this all the time, spending many years to produce their final product, most often without the world even seeing the software until it is completed, and generally without that software generating any revenue while it is being developed. Assuming they're an established company, their employees are paid from the revenue their current business brings in from other products and services. GOG is no different in that regard, and they should have tonnes of equity and cashflow to support the development of Galaxy with minimal impact on their bottom line even with worst-case estimates IMHO.

http://segmentnext.com/2015/08/26/cd-projekt-red-reveal-financial-success-of-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/

Over 1 million Witcher 3 activations were done with Galaxy. Using the price of the game at the time it was sold, averaging it conservatively for differing worldwide prices multiplying that times a million is still a number that is staggering compared to what the cost of the development of Galaxy is likely to be. That's not even considering how many copies of the game and its expansion have been sold since that article was written either, nor accounting for the sales of all of the other games in the catalogue since then including through 3 or 4 major promo sales where they make the biggest amount of money.

We've no idea how many people are on the Galaxy team nor what their wages might be. Lets say there are 20 people altogether, and the average wage is $50,000 USD equivalent just for the sake of arguement. That'd be $1M/year budget for human capital, or a small fraction of the profit from selling The Witcher 3 during release month and ignoring all the rest of the company's revenue. Even if you double the people it's a drop in the ocean.

Some of us might be impatient or some might even feel entitlement and let down but there's absolutely no signs that anything is materially wrong with their approach, nor that their business model is suffering or failing, nor that Galaxy even makes a small dent in their bottom line. Indeed, it appears that Galaxy has already boosted their profitability just from The Witcher 3 alone, and even in the highly developmental state that it was in and is now.

Feel free to apply "blind loyalist" to me if you wish, but please accept the term "blind doomsday naysayer" for yourself then. ;oP