It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I like it as a concept, but I can go years between remembering that it even exists.

Also I don't know why it says I only just registered. I have had an account for a number of years. Maybe it's because I almost never log in to it due to the aforementioned.
Post edited March 12, 2022 by JimmyDeSouza
JimmyDeSouza: Also I don't know why it says I only just registered. I have had an account for a number of years.
Maybe you signed in by mistake with one of your many alt accounts ?. It's easily done, as it happens to many members here fairly frequently...
low rated
I liked what GoG was, not what it is now.

On a side note, I do like Coffee Ice Cream.
JimmyDeSouza: Also I don't know why it says I only just registered. I have had an account for a number of years.
Trooper1270: Maybe you signed in by mistake with one of your many alt accounts ?. It's easily done, as it happens to many members here fairly frequently...
As far as I am aware I only made the one, but hell if I know.

That being said, even if it was an alt it still shouldn't say today/this month. It gave me a password reminder for an existing email address and the last time I went on this website was a number of years ago.
Post edited March 12, 2022 by JimmyDeSouza
JimmyDeSouza: As far as I am aware I only made the one, but hell if I know.

That being said, even if it was an alt it still shouldn't say today/this month. It gave me a password reminder for an existing email address and the last time I went on this website was a number of years ago.
Oh no, it actually turns out I did have more than 1. Bad memory and all.
JimmyDeSouzasGOG: Oh no, it actually turns out I did have more than 1.
And there's probably plenty more where that came from... :P
I prefer not to get emotionally involved with shops and companies. I neither like or hate them, I just use them when it suits me and I use all of them whichever gives the best deal or service at any given time.

These days people treat corporations like they're entering into a marriage contract. Which just leads to hurt feelings when your true love ends up betraying you for money. Or if you've gone so far down the rabbit hole that you've become a "fanboy" then you need to start digging up goal posts and pretending it's what you wanted all along.

You should treat all companies like you treat hookers. Use them when they do what you want at the right price and then just use another when it offers something better. Never, ever, fall in love with them or enter into a long term relationship. They don't love you, they just want your money- there's nothing wrong with that, we all want money. If you treat all these companies like lowly cheap hookers, you will soon find them singing and dancing for you, and offering things you never even thought possible.
JimmyDeSouzasGOG: Oh no, it actually turns out I did have more than 1. Bad memory and all.
gave me a chuckle ;)
CMOT70: I prefer not to get emotionally involved with shops and companies. I neither like or hate them, I just use them when it suits me and I use all of them whichever gives the best deal or service at any given time.

These days people treat corporations like they're entering into a marriage contract. Which just leads to hurt feelings when your true love ends up betraying you for money. Or if you've gone so far down the rabbit hole that you've become a "fanboy" then you need to start digging up goal posts and pretending it's what you wanted all along.
You ain't even wrong. Though I don't know if it's just "these days." Most people remember the playground wars. It's just sad that it's continued into people's adulthood.

You should treat all companies like you treat hookers. Use them when they do what you want at the right price and then just use another when it offers something better. Never, ever, fall in love with them or enter into a long term relationship. They don't love you, they just want your money- there's nothing wrong with that, we all want money. If you treat all these companies like lowly cheap hookers, you will soon find them singing and dancing for you, and offering things you never even thought possible.
I love that analogy. You can't make a hoe into a housewife, and you can't find a perfect company, game or otherwise. You're also right that there's nothing wrong with trying to get money, long as it doesn't involve trying to ruin people. We need to just accept that money makes the world go round and move on with it.
RawSteelUT: We need to just accept that money makes the world go round and move on with it.
That shows the... irreconciliable differences, or more exactly worldviews, between us, making the differing stances on GOG unavoidable but inconsequential by comparison.
Money, finances, the finance-based economy, if you will, is way high on the list of ills/wrongs that only exist because people accept them and which, with our current level of development, could be changed almost instantly the moment that'd no longer be the case.
And a lot of the real development and improvement, a lot of what gives life meaning and value, is not done for money, but quite the contrary, is hindered by those trying to gain. All the community, collaborative projects, volunteering, all art or creative content of any kind made by those who can't "earn their living" (what a term...) from it, inventions and knowledge that's not patented, state-funded research, care, even housework...
low rated
CMOT70: I prefer not to get emotionally involved with shops and companies. I neither like or hate them, I just use them when it suits me and I use all of them whichever gives the best deal or service at any given time.

I agree with everything you just said. You're one the few sane people on GOG forums.
low rated

When I joined gog, forums were filled with great discussions. The insights into gaming put out by some users were amazing.
This was not a game store, it was a gamer community.

Now, forums are flooded by comments from people who are constantly complaining about being able to play as black or a female character, censoring rape scenes or taking stance against russian invasion.

This backlash is mostly a nostalgic throwback to a better days of gog before it was taken over by a handful of trolls.
Post edited March 13, 2022 by bombardier
I like GOG.
I'm starting to like GOG more and more. Their recent sympathetic and brave stance against the horrific Ukraine invasion by Russia, at their own expense, really helped that feeling.

I just have to stop comparing it to Steam for Linux gaming. I complain, but it's not too bad actually, I got everything working. Still, there's definitely room for improvement.

I can't say much about the community, I've only been posting for a year or two, despite me making an account many years ago, so I'm not that familiar with all the members. Some seem sensible and nice, others are toxic hot garbage. So pretty much the same as anywhere else online.

One thing that has never happened to me anywhere else, is that a user was talking crap about me behind my back to other members of the community, telling them to stop talking to me completely. Despite sometimes severe disagreements with people, I have *never* experienced such behaviour as I did here on GOG forums, so there's that.

I do have this feeling that there seem to be more Linux gamers, especially with the older crowd, than you usually see on a video game shop platform. I mean, relatively speaking as a proportion of the user base. At least, judging by the number of tools and guides for Linux GOG gaming, which is great to me.

At the end of the day the community and forums have almost nothing to do with GOG - they have no control about the behaviour of some members. So it shouldn't influence any decisions to buy from here, and so it doesn't for me.
low rated
rojimboo: I'm starting to like GOG more and more. Their recent sympathetic and brave stance against the horrific Ukraine invasion by Russia, at their own expense, really helped that feeling.

I just have to stop comparing it to Steam for Linux gaming. I complain, but it's not too bad actually, I got everything working. Still, there's definitely room for improvement.

I can't say much about the community, I've only been posting for a year or two, despite me making an account many years ago, so I'm not that familiar with all the members. Some seem sensible and nice, others are toxic hot garbage. So pretty much the same as anywhere else online.

One thing that has never happened to me anywhere else, is that a user was talking crap about me behind my back to other members of the community, telling them to stop talking to me completely. Despite sometimes severe disagreements with people, I have *never* experienced such behaviour as I did here on GOG forums, so there's that.

I do have this feeling that there seem to be more Linux gamers, especially with the older crowd, than you usually see on a video game shop platform. I mean, relatively speaking as a proportion of the user base. At least, judging by the number of tools and guides for Linux GOG gaming, which is great to me.

At the end of the day the community and forums have almost nothing to do with GOG - they have no control about the behaviour of some members. So it shouldn't influence any decisions to buy from here, and so it doesn't for me.
Of course they have control over individuals who misbehave and attack other members which is a gross violation of the rules. The moderators choose not to take action because they are biased against those whose views they disagree with. It definitely should influence whether you continue to be a customer. Only a fool would pay a company to be abused.