It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Let this be a tiny reminder that - no matter how brilliant this game might be - all the brilliance can't be worth exploiting the people who actually do the work behind the game. The ones who don't get their share of the revenue, who don't own a motorboat, so to speak.

And even if every extra hour is paid, sleep deprivation, stress, pressure and consequences for the families of the staff who worked off their butts to make this game the gem it surely will be, are not worth it. There must be ways to make amazing games on a 9 to 5 basis. And if you don't think so, feel your boss, the company or even the industry you work in are exploitative to a degree that might even not be seen as exploit, but as normality, part of the job if you will, then your boss, company or industry must do something about it. And if they won't, you will need to make the first step.

Unionising is important, don't let anyone tell you your work is not worth the money youre paid or you need to work harder, meaning longer, to match expectations.

And knowing how much the devs put in this game, enjoy the hell out of it. But don't defend the terrible working conditions over it, please :)

P.S.: In case you don't know what I am writing about, please google they keywords "crunch cd projekt" and check out the jimquisition on youtube.
Post edited December 08, 2020 by artmanphil
artmanphil: Let this be a tiny reminder that - no matter how brilliant this game might be - all the brilliance can't be worth exploiting the people who actually do the work behind the game. The ones who don't get their share of the revenue, who don't own a motorboat, so to speak.

And even if every extra hour is paid, sleep deprivation, stress, pressure and consequences for the families of the staff who worked off their butts to make this game the gem it surely will be, are not worth it. There must be ways to make amazing games on a 9 to 5 basis. And if you don't think so, feel your boss, the company or even the industry you work in are exploitative to a degree that might even not be seen as exploit, but as normality, part of the job if you will, then your boss, company or industry must do something about it. And if they won't, you will need to make the first step.

Unionising is important, don't let anyone tell you your work is not worth the money youre paid or you need to work harder, meaning longer, to match expectations.

And knowing how much the devs put in this game, enjoy the hell out of it. But don't defend the terrible working conditions over it, please :)

P.S.: In case you don't know what I am writing about, please google they keywords "crunch cd projekt" and check out the jimquisition on youtube.
Um. The Cyberpunk team *is* paid for their overtime, and gives 10% of revenue to their employees...?

I agree, Crunch is bad- especially in the US. CD Projekt actually does a LOT to make it worth their while though.
artmanphil: There must be ways to make amazing games on a 9 to 5 basis. And if you don't think so, feel your boss, the company or even the industry you work in are exploitative to a degree that might even not be seen as exploit, but as normality, part of the job if you will, then your boss, company or industry must do something about it. And if they won't, you will need to make the first step.
It's really only Klei Entertainment that has abolished crunch as a matter of policy. But the business head is part of the development team and they are comfortable in how small their studio is.

CDPR has the most humane crunch I've read people complain about.

Although you probably will never get rid of it until executives are subject to the same overtime requirements (which was also true in Kleis case, before they made the changes.)
I just love how you guys are turning so caring and loving these days. I honestly didnt think game industry had it in them. No damn wonder covid19 is out there.
Post edited December 08, 2020 by Cyberway
OMG, this gets on my nerves. It is the reality of a lot of jobs to have crunchtimes, many of those jobs even don't get paid well. It is like a jobcriteria in games development that there are crunchtimes, so if you choose the job you know what likely is happening. It happens, it's not nice but it's also towards the end of a yearlong project. The devs knew it, they get compensated for it and that's it. I don't wish anybody from the dev team ill and it's not ideal but that's how things work. What do you think happens in other jobs? What do you think how seasonal business is working? Even in my job (IT infrastructure) overtimes are usual and that's simply the case because if we don't make our job at times where others in the company aren't working (or only a few people are working) they can't work or had a hard time working.
Get over it. It's not abuse when everybody knows what the job includes and everybody agrees to it. I don't know how well CDPR is paying, but I guess it's not that bad. In the US good games developer are paid around 120k US$ per year according to a study from 2018, in Germany we have only a few bigger game developer but it is said you can earn around 70k-90k € per year in the bigger games companies which still isn't bad. Maybe someone talks about the wage at CDPR maybe not, but I'm quite sure they don't have to beg for food and it's a good wage as they hired from around the world.
Post edited December 08, 2020 by wintermute.
low rated
The same arguments as always: "they do get paid (well)" and "if it is known part of the job it is not abuse".
You can defend almost every awful business practice with that. I bet even Harvey Weinstein would argue the same way. What I'm trying to say is: those are no arguments.

Common exploitation doesn't make it right. People who are creative and want to make games don't have to accept those practices. All the working rights we have nowadays were commonly accepted deficits which were then changed so workers get exploited less. I see no reason not to raise awareness. I know one day it can be different.

Crunch is bad. No matter how you put it. And I really don't understand how anybody could defend it even the tiniest bit. Why argue against regular working hours?
high rated
wintermute.: OMG, this gets on my nerves. It is the reality of a lot of jobs to have crunchtimes, many of those jobs even don't get paid well. It is like a jobcriteria in games development that there are crunchtimes, so if you choose the job you know what likely is happening. It happens, it's not nice but it's also towards the end of a yearlong project. The devs knew it, they get compensated for it and that's it. I don't wish anybody from the dev team ill and it's not ideal but that's how things work. What do you think happens in other jobs? What do you think how seasonal business is working? Even in my job (IT infrastructure) overtimes are usual and that's simply the case because if we don't make our job at times where others in the company aren't working (or only a few people are working) they can't work or had a hard time working.
Get over it. It's not abuse when everybody knows what the job includes and everybody agrees to it. I don't know how well CDPR is paying, but I guess it's not that bad. In the US good games developer are paid around 120k US$ per year according to a study from 2018, in Germany we have only a few bigger game developer but it is said you can earn around 70k-90k € per year in the bigger games companies which still isn't bad. Maybe someone talks about the wage at CDPR maybe not, but I'm quite sure they don't have to beg for food and it's a good wage as they hired from around the world.
This 10000%. Finally someone with a brain!
artmanphil: The same arguments as always: "they do get paid (well)" and "if it is known part of the job it is not abuse".
You can defend almost every awful business practice with that. I bet even Harvey Weinstein would argue the same way. What I'm trying to say is: those are no arguments.

Common exploitation doesn't make it right. People who are creative and want to make games don't have to accept those practices. All the working rights we have nowadays were commonly accepted deficits which were then changed so workers get exploited less. I see no reason not to raise awareness. I know one day it can be different.

Crunch is bad. No matter how you put it. And I really don't understand how anybody could defend it even the tiniest bit. Why argue against regular working hours?
Crunch is bad, yes. But what happened with CDPR was not "crunch", no matter what way the media or you try to spin it. I have worked similar hours to CDPR in my previous software development jobs. Would I consider it crunch? Absolutely not. It was just mandatory overtime in line with my country's law. It was written in my contract and I was 100% fine with it.

Working 15 hour days 5/6 days a week, that's crunch! Working an extra 8 hours a week for 6 weeks isn't.
Post edited December 08, 2020 by JakeOfRivia93
Don't forget that CDPR is located in Poland and has to adhere to EU regulations, so proper rest times and overtime compensation are pretty much assured or any disgruntled employee could tip off the appropriate investigative bodies at any time.

I know from my own job that if you're invested in what you do and enjoy your work you sometimes give more than 100% without anyone telling you to, even if it's hard. I don't remember the hours of overtime that I simply never registered yet don't regret in the slightest, just so I could finish the task I was working on.

All the protective measures are in place, employees just need to take advantage of them.
I am just going to say this, if you think the crunch in the games industry is bad please keep the blinders on and do not look into the restaurant industry. I have had many weeks of working 85+ hours of hard, physical labor in a 120f kitchen trying to keep up with business and I don't even get a share of tips. I always have to laugh a little (in a sad way) when I hear one of the wait staff complain that they had to tip out the hostesses after making over $400 in tips (basically what I hope to take home on a good week). Crunch is everywhere. And what CDPR did was actually pretty good. They gave the employees a vote in the crunch. So get over it and learn that this is part of the real world.
Post edited December 08, 2020 by Farinhir78
Krawu: I know from my own job that if you're invested in what you do and enjoy your work you sometimes give more than 100% without anyone telling you to, even if it's hard. I don't remember the hours of overtime that I simply never registered yet don't regret in the slightest, just so I could finish the task I was working on.
Exactly :D I also remember fondly some times where I worked pretty hard and overtime on solving a pressing issue and how good it felt when I finally solved it. Plus I never had an employer who didn't recognize extra effort and didn't gave me credit for it.
Post edited December 08, 2020 by wintermute.
artmanphil: Let this be a tiny reminder that - no matter how brilliant this game might be - all the brilliance can't be worth exploiting the people who actually do the work behind the game.
Let this be a tiny reminded that crunch is a normal occurrence in software business. I was part of our company's crunch most of last year when our project got delayed and delayed again. Didn't see my family for almost a year. Left to work in the morning, came back home when everyone were already sleeping. Weekends at work instead of with the family. It's not fun. It's horrible. But it's not unique to CDPR. It's unfortunately common in this business.
JakeOfRivia93: Working 15 hour days 5/6 days a week, that's crunch! Working an extra 8 hours a week for 6 weeks isn't.
I guess, in a "that's not a knife, this is a knife" kind of way. But both examples are crunches. Ok yeah, 12h days, 6 days a week (well, only 5-8 hours on Saturdays) for almost a year is quite taxing. However, 8h extra per week for 6 weeks is also a crunch. It's still not fun. It may not make you question your commitment to the profession and look for a less stressful job at a construction site or any other manual labour work just to get away from the stress, but it is still not a fun thing.
Post edited December 08, 2020 by frogthroat
artmanphil: P.S.: In case you don't know what I am writing about, please google they keywords "crunch cd projekt" and check out the jimquisition on youtube.
Ah good ol' Jim "I ignore shit if it'll hurt my friends" Sterling, while promoting anti-consumer practices by my friends. He's a real great guy who has absolutely no axes to grind. Especially since he's now riding the agenda train on every topic.
artmanphil: Let this be a tiny reminder that - no matter how brilliant this game might be - all the brilliance can't be worth exploiting the people who actually do the work behind the game.
frogthroat: Let this be a tiny reminded that crunch is a normal occurrence in software business. I was part of our company's crunch most of last year when our project got delayed and delayed again. Didn't see my family for almost a year. Left to work in the morning, came back home when everyone were already sleeping. Weekends at work instead of with the family. It's not fun. It's horrible. But it's not unique to CDPR. It's unfortunately common in this business.
JakeOfRivia93: Working 15 hour days 5/6 days a week, that's crunch! Working an extra 8 hours a week for 6 weeks isn't.
frogthroat: I guess, in a "that's not a knife, this is a knife" kind of way. But both examples are crunches. Ok yeah, 12h days, 6 days a week (well, only 5-8 hours on Saturdays) for almost a year is quite taxing. However, 8h extra per week for 6 weeks is also a crunch. It's still not fun. It may not make you question your commitment to the profession and look for a less stressful job at a construction site or any other manual labour work just to get away from the stress, but it is still not a fun thing.
Well unfortunately that's life and is part of the responsibilities of a working adult. Sometimes you have to put in extra hours! If people can't accept that then quite frankly I think they need to grow up. Just my 2 cents.
Post edited December 08, 2020 by JakeOfRivia93
artmanphil: The same arguments as always: "they do get paid (well)" and "if it is known part of the job it is not abuse".

Crunches or overtime exist in any industry where you are working against a deadline. I worked in auditing and finance - deadlines were part of my life for the last 20 years with "crunches" or whatever you want to call it, extra hours put in when you have to meet a deadline. This will happen in any real business that wants to succeed - you cannot have spare capacity 80% of the time so that you can avoid overtime 20% of the time (that crucial 10% when you actually want to finish something ON TIME).

If you think you have a universal solution, then please start a business and make it successful without putting in any extra time. Hire enough talented employees who will never have to work an hour of overtime, yet still be profitable as a business. Good luck with that one.
low rated
Krawu: Don't forget that CDPR is located in Poland and has to adhere to EU regulations, so proper rest times and overtime compensation are pretty much assured or any disgruntled employee could tip off the appropriate investigative bodies at any time.

I know from my own job that if you're invested in what you do and enjoy your work you sometimes give more than 100% without anyone telling you to, even if it's hard. I don't remember the hours of overtime that I simply never registered yet don't regret in the slightest, just so I could finish the task I was working on.

All the protective measures are in place, employees just need to take advantage of them.
i live in germany and we have eu laws aswell. yet, being a media creator, i see every day how exploitation happens nonetheless, without compensation, without a thank you. it is just common practice. and it has to change. people have rights, but they dont use them. a big problem. which is why you have to repeatedly tell them they can stand up for it. and do not have to accept bad practices. im not blaming anyone, not claiming cdpr is bad or the employees are doing something wrong. they just have to take care for themselves.
frogthroat: Let this be a tiny reminded that crunch is a normal occurrence in software business. I was part of our company's crunch most of last year when our project got delayed and delayed again. Didn't see my family for almost a year. Left to work in the morning, came back home when everyone were already sleeping. Weekends at work instead of with the family. It's not fun. It's horrible. But it's not unique to CDPR. It's unfortunately common in this business.

I guess, in a "that's not a knife, this is a knife" kind of way. But both examples are crunches. Ok yeah, 12h days, 6 days a week (well, only 5-8 hours on Saturdays) for almost a year is quite taxing. However, 8h extra per week for 6 weeks is also a crunch. It's still not fun. It may not make you question your commitment to the profession and look for a less stressful job at a construction site or any other manual labour work just to get away from the stress, but it is still not a fun thing.
JakeOfRivia93: Well unfortunately that's life and is part of the responsibilities of a working adult. Sometimes you have to put in extra hours! If people can't accept that then quite frankly I think they need to grow up. Just my 2 cents.
Its also part of your responsibility to not let people exploit your most important asset which is you. and Im not saying overtime can never ever occur and you can never ever do it. but industries slowly begin and began to make it a standard.
Farinhir78: I am just going to say this, if you think the crunch in the games industry is bad please keep the blinders on and do not look into the restaurant industry. I have had many weeks of working 85+ hours of hard, physical labor in a 120f kitchen trying to keep up with business and I don't even get a share of tips. I always have to laugh a little (in a sad way) when I hear one of the wait staff complain that they had to tip out the hostesses after making over $400 in tips (basically what I hope to take home on a good week). Crunch is everywhere. And what CDPR did was actually pretty good. They gave the employees a vote in the crunch. So get over it and learn that this is part of the real world.
Crunch is bad everywhere. And there are countries who managed to change it, Mallorca/Spain for instance made strict regulations which made overhours impossible in gastronomy.
frogthroat: I guess, in a "that's not a knife, this is a knife" kind of way. But both examples are crunches. Ok yeah, 12h days, 6 days a week (well, only 5-8 hours on Saturdays) for almost a year is quite taxing. However, 8h extra per week for 6 weeks is also a crunch. It's still not fun. It may not make you question your commitment to the profession and look for a less stressful job at a construction site or any other manual labour work just to get away from the stress, but it is still not a fun thing.
Exactly. Being common is no excuse. Slavery was common once. So were 16 hour working days during the industrialisation period. things changed. And they will have to change more.

everywhere, if necessary. no matter which industry or country. we have come so far with working rights and unions. just dont accept being overworked.
Post edited December 08, 2020 by artmanphil