It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
I got the game gifted before release. I tried the initial version, and it had dozens of problems even in the first hour of play.

So I decided to wait for some polish before redownloading the 100GB, then waited some longer before redownloading for the 1.2 patch due to the known delays, and then learned that performance was now even worse than in the initial release.

So I wrote to support and asked for a refund or store credit.

The reply I got, and I'm omitting a rather snide remark, is basically:

"When it comes to refund, I'm afraid that I'm unable to do that. Not only you already used your one time refund exception, but also the game release date was already over 30 days ago and the purchase was a gift, not purchased by you."

So basically, lessons learned:

1) If a game has bugs, do not be loyal and give the developer or publisher a chance to fix the issue. Request an immediate refund, or you might get shafted later.

2) Buy things on Steam since they don't claim a "one time refund exception", and you won't get shafted later.

3) Tell your friends to gift you games on Steam, since they will refund gifts, and you don't get shafted later.

As a long-term, loyal customer and fan (I regularly annoy other people with my recommendations for GOG) I thought I would share these lessons learned. Maybe some staff feels inclined to comment.

I would understand a certain hesitancy with any other games, but not with such a well documented trainwreck of a release, and when the Support people can easily track that I haven't downloaded any recent version or played recently.

regards
Post edited April 02, 2021 by RSColonel_131st
high rated
I wouldn't expect them to refund a gift to you, since you didn't purchase it.
No offense, but afaik they've never refunded gifts here.
Maybe the reason, but then the gift is still a 60EUR value that was given to me but turns out lacking it's promises.

If someone gifts me a physical item worth 60EUR which doesn't work, I can exchange or return it. Back then, we could even sell physical game copies.

So, no more gifts, and instand refund demands is the nrw best practice then...
GOG has been in existence since 2008 and in that span has never offered refunds for gift purchases. I get what you're saying, if you own it you own it, but they're not obligated to refund a gift someone else purchased for you.

I get you're upset and respect that, but nothing has changed on GOG. At least, not in this respect.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but I seem to remember someone gifting a game in 2008 and the giftee getting upset they couldn't refund it.
I can respect the fact that this may be standing policy, but that still seems incorrect given that a 60EUR purchase should either work as promised, or be refunded. It shouldn't matter who made the purchase or for whom, no one should be forced to keep a faulty product. And it also means in their competition with Steam they are downgrading their user base to lesser service, because Steam does refund gifts same as normal purchases.

Reading between the lines of the support email, it does appear they might have refunded, if not for the 30-day expired clause.

And that is what really annoys me. That I as a loyal customer and fan of GOG gave them (and CDPR) the benefit of doupt and gave them time to try and fix the game, and waited for their patches even though they were delayed later as promised... and I'm now getting the blame for that and support tells me it's my fault.

And just to clarify: I'm fairly sure the user account shows that I've never downloaded or updated a version since initial release, so the idea that I'm trying to refund a game I played extensively is on weak legs.

So again, for me the take-home-message here is: Don't let friends gift me stuff on GOG, and if something doesn't work, show no heart or understanding for the developer, immediatley refund it and make them suffer the loss.
Post edited April 03, 2021 by RSColonel_131st
As a heads up you really should read the refund policy of steam again, if you believe it is much better than gogs or else you might end up ranting about the same thing on the Steam forums at some point.

On Steam you have only 14-days (and a max. of 2 hours playtime) for refunding the game and they only rarely make exceptions to that. Gifts can get refunded under the same terms, but the money will always go back to the one who made the purchase - so not you.

On GOG too btw.:

3. I received a gift from a friend. Can I apply for a refund?
We can only offer a cash or GOG Wallet refund to the person who purchased the gift. If the person who purchased the gift prefers to receive a full refund, this is possible, however, they should contact us about this separately.
https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006129837-GOG-Voluntary-Refund-Policy?product=gog

On a sidenote both on Steam and GOG they don't have to refund anything by law unless you never downloaded the game, and even then you only have 14-days to initiate the refund.
GOG's 30-days refund window is huge compared to that and on top of that CDPR offered an extra refund option for Cyberpunk in december on all platforms and even for retail copies you usually can't refund.

No matter where you buy something if it doesn't work as expected you either refund asap (and maybe buy again later) or you take the risk that the product might not change from it's current state for various reasons.
Always ask yourself if you can accept that.

You can't be sure that Steam would've accepted your refund request either at this point.
1. why would you refund a gift?

2. If you planned to actually play it at some point, what is the point in refunding it?
Jarik12.3: No matter where you buy something if it doesn't work as expected you either refund asap (and maybe buy again later) or you take the risk that the product might not change from it's current state for various reasons.
Yeah, I guess that's what I will remember in the future. I thought I was doing a good thing by giving the devs some chance, but obviously that was stupid.

Thanks for the details about Steam, some of which were new to me.
RSColonel_131st: I got the game gifted before release. I tried the initial version, and it had dozens of problems even in the first hour of play.

So I decided to wait for some polish before redownloading the 100GB, then waited some longer before redownloading for the 1.2 patch due to the known delays, and then learned that performance was now even worse than in the initial release.

So I wrote to support and asked for a refund or store credit.

The reply I got, and I'm omitting a rather snide remark, is basically:

"When it comes to refund, I'm afraid that I'm unable to do that. Not only you already used your one time refund exception, but also the game release date was already over 30 days ago and the purchase was a gift, not purchased by you."

So basically, lessons learned:

1) If a game has bugs, do not be loyal and give the developer or publisher a chance to fix the issue. Request an immediate refund, or you might get shafted later.

2) Buy things on Steam since they don't claim a "one time refund exception", and you won't get shafted later.

3) Tell your friends to gift you games on Steam, since they will refund gifts, and you don't get shafted later.

As a long-term, loyal customer and fan (I regularly annoy other people with my recommendations for GOG) I thought I would share these lessons learned. Maybe some staff feels inclined to comment.

I would understand a certain hesitancy with any other games, but not with such a well documented trainwreck of a release, and when the Support people can easily track that I haven't downloaded any recent version or played recently.

regards
The lesson you should have learned, but obviously didn't is: read the fine print. BTW, Steam has nothing that compares with Gog's 30-day refund policy--is Steam still "*two hours* of play and you own it" these days? Don't blame GOG because you decided to wait and completely ignored GOG's refund policies--which are plain to see--certainly not hidden.

https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011314978-How-do-I-refund-a-game-?product=gog

I cannot imagine why you might think that keeping the game for over 30 days and then requesting a refund was the right way to proceed...;) Now you know better...;)\
Yeah OP I didn't mean any disrespect at all with my posts. It's just one of those things that some of us assume everyone knows. Sorry if I came across curt.

Have a good one.
-Timbro
Jarik12.3: On a sidenote both on Steam and GOG they don't have to refund anything by law unless you never downloaded the game, and even then you only have 14-days to initiate the refund.
Untrue.

The law isn't global. It's local and varies.

Steam implemented their current refund policy, because of an Australian court case against them which resulted in a hefty fine.

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/valve-australia-fine-1202772984/

Gog and other vendors likely followed suit to avoid similar fines.

Australian law obviously doesn't extend around the globe but it wouldn't surprise me if your assertion is also false in many other jurisdictions.
RSColonel_131st: So again, for me the take-home-message here is: Don't let friends gift me stuff on GOG, and if something doesn't work, show no heart or understanding for the developer, immediatley refund it and make them suffer the loss.
Lol... oh no, the gifts! I can't take all these gifts I'm getting! And the gifts that I don't enjoy can't be refunded... the horror! Now I can't get refunds for things I didn't buy in the first place!
Khelonos: Australian law obviously doesn't extend around the globe but it wouldn't surprise me if your assertion is also false in many other jurisdictions.
Yes, this isn't global, but you're acting like I did a general statement, which I did not. I answered the OP directly, who states on their profile being from the UK.

At the time of the CP purchase their consumer law based on an EU directive still applied and I haven't found anything about that this law changed since brexit so it probably still applies for future purchases - that's what's relevant for the OP.

The law basically says, that you have 14-days from the date of purchase to withdraw, unless you gave your consent to losing this right when downloading the game. The shop has the right not to give access to the download immediately if you want to keep your withdrawal right. Both Steam and GOG ask for that consent, so OP is not protected by law to ask for a refund. The shops can just deny it.

Fun Fact: It's debatable if GOG's way of asking for consent is valid though since you don't actively give your consent by ticking a box.
Post edited April 05, 2021 by Jarik12.3
Jarik12.3: The law basically says, that you have 14-days from the date of purchase to withdraw, unless you gave your consent to losing this right when downloading the game. The shop has the right not to give access to the download immediately if you want to keep your withdrawal right. Both Steam and GOG ask for that consent, so OP is not protected by law to ask for a refund. The shops can just deny it.
The most basic principle of contract law everywhere is that an agreement is legally binding, unless some aspect of the agreement is illegal.

Having globally published a refund policy to comply with the Australian ruling and law, they are almost certainly legally bound by that anywhere with a legitimate legal system.

So no, the shops couldn't just deny it.

Meanwhile, the OP didn't buy the game so obviously is not entitled to a refund. And asked for it outside of the published refund policy's time limit.