It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Greetings, adventurers! We hope you enjoy your first experiences with our modern reworking of Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. This is an early access title and we're hoping a lot of your questions are answered in our FAQ. That said, we wanted to discuss what we have planned for the first content update, which is tentatively slated for an October 2023 release.

Mouse Support
We know PC players often prefer mouse controls when playing RPGs, and while we prioritized controller support during early development (in part because it was more straightforward to assign Apple II keyboard input to modern controller buttons), we haven't forgotten tradition. We're working on mouse input at the moment.

Additional Character Portraits
The Training Grounds feature many varied human character portraits at the moment, but more fantastical races are on their way. Look for additional portraits in the next update.

Identification System & Bestiary
During combat in the original Wizardry, your characters would roll to identify enemies that were only represented as a line of text. If you successfully identified Skeletons, for instance, you might discover you were specifically battling Undead Kobolds. However, that system doesn't work as well when enemies are high-res 3D models instead of text strings. If you've seen a kobold before, you'll probably recognize it as a kobold the next time around, even if it's in silhouette or obscured by the dark.

To bring Wizardry into the 21st century, we're reworking the enemy identification system and adding a large Bestiary in the process. Each time you successfully identify a new creature, you'll learn a little more about that enemy and what it can do; the monsters you've identified will also stay identified, creating a visual guide in the Bestiary, which you can review at any time via the pause menu.

If you prefer the original game's feature, you can turn this new system off, but we think that most players will find it satisfying to build their Bestiary of monsters as they progress through the Maze. You can make the call next month; we're planning on implementing the new identification system and the Bestiary in the next update.

Additional Sounds
Our sound designer Bob Baffy is adding more audio for enemies and various sound effects in the game. So while you will hear some heroic audio during your dungeon crawls this month, you should hear even more in October.

Bug Fixing
Oh, we know we didn't get everything right the first time. With additional playtesting — and the assistance of players reporting and documenting what they see — we hope to have a pile of bugs squashed by the next update.

Please keep in mind that this is our plan, and that when it comes to game development, plans can never be promises. It's possible some of these features won't be ready next month, but if they can't make it, we'll update you with a revised roadmap. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Until then, we're eager for your feedback! Drop your thoughts here in the forums, and please be as detailed as possible — that really helps us track down issues. Thanks for your support, and we hope we can bring you an even better Wizardry experience next month!

- The Wizardry Team at Digital Eclipse
Post edited September 15, 2023 by DanAmrich
DanAmrich: Greetings, adventurers! We hope you enjoy your first experiences with our modern reworking of Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. This is an early access title and we're hoping a lot of your questions are answered in our FAQ. That said, we wanted to discuss what we have planned for the first content update, which is tentatively slated for an October 2023 release.

Mouse Support
We know PC players often prefer mouse controls when playing RPGs, and while we prioritized controller support during early development (in part because it was more straightforward to assign Apple II keyboard input to modern controller buttons), we haven't forgotten tradition. We're working on mouse input at the moment.

Additional Character Portraits
The Training Grounds feature many varied human character portraits at the moment, but more fantastical races are on their way. Look for additional portraits in the next update.

Identification System & Bestiary
During combat in the original Wizardry, your characters would roll to identify enemies that were only represented as a line of text. If you successfully identified Skeletons, for instance, you might discover you were specifically battling Undead Kobolds. However, that system doesn't work as well when enemies are high-res 3D models instead of text strings. If you've seen a kobold before, you'll probably recognize it as a kobold the next time around, even if it's in silhouette or obscured by the dark.

To bring Wizardry into the 21st century, we're reworking the enemy identification system and adding a large Bestiary in the process. Each time you successfully identify a new creature, you'll learn a little more about that enemy and what it can do; the monsters you've identified will also stay identified, creating a visual guide in the Bestiary, which you can review at any time via the pause menu.

If you prefer the original game's feature, you can turn this new system off, but we think that most players will find it satisfying to build their Bestiary of monsters as they progress through the Maze. You can make the call next month; we're planning on implementing the new identification system and the Bestiary in the next update.

Additional Sounds
Our sound designer Bob Baffy is adding more audio for enemies and various sound effects in the game. So while you will hear some heroic audio during your dungeon crawls this month, you should hear even more in October.

Bug Fixing
Oh, we know we didn't get everything right the first time. With additional playtesting — and the assistance of players reporting and documenting what they see — we hope to have a pile of bugs squashed by the next update.

Please keep in mind that this is our plan, and that when it comes to game development, plans can never be promises. It's possible some of these features won't be ready next month, but if they can't make it, we'll update you with a revised roadmap. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Until then, we're eager for your feedback! Drop your thoughts here in the forums, and please be as detailed as possible — that really helps us track down issues. Thanks for your support, and we hope we can bring you an even better Wizardry experience next month!

- The Wizardry Team at Digital Eclipse
SPOILERS AHEAD

So I am basing these suggestions on Wizardry 1 on the SNES. I haven't played the OG one since High School but played the Japanese remake a while ago.

I have a few suggestions based on that version I played if you haven't already included them or will be including them in the future. I have not gotten the game yet but plan to try it with a friend since I think it leads into my first point perfectly:

1: The price for this game is a bit too much for what it is. If you are following W1 to a tee then I think this needs to be dropped by 10 dollars. HOWEVER if your planning to add more to the experience then that would be fine because this leads into my second suggestion:

2: Redo how the level 4 elevator works. This one might be controversial but the fact that floors 5-8 are pointless in the OG and SNES game really hurt it. Sure, level 8 has some good grinding monsters but you can just elevator to level 9, go up to 8, grind, go back to 9, go back to town and repeat on the 2 floors until you are ready for level 10. My suggestion is to have the players unlock the floors by visiting the big elevator on each floor to unlock that floor for the elevator AND giving the odd floor a fun mission to do like floor 4 has with the machine.

3: Consider changing how the final fight works, maybe. In the SNES one its a VERY short fight and you basically get your ass handed to you unless you are an insanely high level, higher than 13. (That can take a loooooooooong time to get too. I love to grind in games when its fun but even I think it can be a tad slow) or you land the spell that brings the final boss to 1-8 hit points and get a hit in before he can hit first. Honestly I wouldn't mind a much longer fight with the boss if it meant I wouldn't get 3 to 2 to even sometimes 1 shot with a level 13 party. Id love for that fight to be an epic back and forth between the true final boss and the heroes, not some fight thats basically luck and very short.

4: Consider adding Wizardry 2 and 3? Maybe this is in the cards but 2 and 3 were basically expansions to the first where you can transfer your party to them and get a little icon next to their name that showed they were heroes of the other games and won. Its a neat system and I hope your company tackles them. (I would have suggestions for them too! haha)

That's all I got for now! I hope this feedback helped a bit. Good day :)
Very nice to see mouse support is on the way!
But please, let us rebind the keys. I think it's the most useful and at the same time most basic accessibility feature. For example the standard layout doesn't fit well with left handed people or players using a qwertz keyboard.
DanAmrich: Identification System & Bestiary

How is this going to interact with Latumapic? Will it basically guarantee that you'll add more information to the bestiary each time you encounter an enemy until the bestiary for that enemy is filled?
Alma Elma: 3: Consider changing how the final fight works, maybe. In the SNES one its a VERY short fight and you basically get your ass handed to you unless you are an insanely high level, higher than 13. (That can take a loooooooooong time to get too. I love to grind in games when its fun but even I think it can be a tad slow) or you land the spell that brings the final boss to 1-8 hit points and get a hit in before he can hit first. Honestly I wouldn't mind a much longer fight with the boss if it meant I wouldn't get 3 to 2 to even sometimes 1 shot with a level 13 party. Id love for that fight to be an epic back and forth between the true final boss and the heroes, not some fight thats basically luck and very short.
Personally, I can see where this desire is coming from, but I think it's a mistake. For one, I personally don't think the Wizardry rules are really that conducive to intentionally trying to get a back-and-forth going (though it does sometimes happen accidentally). Combat in Wizardry is nasty, brutish, and short. I think there are plenty of Wizardry-likes how there people can play if they want big elaborate boss fights (like the Etrian Odyssey games).

Besides, the game isn't really *about* the final boss. It's about *getting* to the final boss. Let him be one of the nastiest, brutish, and shortest fights in the game. Plus, the whole *game* is about managing your luck, particularly how you prepare for the inevitable bad luck. If a final boss is about testing the players to see if they've mastered the game, and a big part of mastering Wizardry 1 is managing luck, shouldn't the final boss have a strong luck-based component?

I have no problem with any of your other suggestions (your point 2 is pretty much how I play the originals).
Alma Elma: So I am basing these suggestions on Wizardry 1 on the SNES.
I thought only Heart of the Maelstrom (Wizardry V) was ported to SNES?

Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord was an NES port, was it not?

I agree 100% with your suggestions... especially for 2 and 3 to come out as well.
Post edited September 16, 2023 by budgielover
Alma Elma: So I am basing these suggestions on Wizardry 1 on the SNES.
budgielover: I thought only Heart of the Maelstrom (Wizardry V) was ported to SNES?
There was a Super Famicon version of I, II, and III released in the late 90s, but only in Japan.

[url=https://wizardry.fandom.com/wiki/Wizardry_I%E2%80%A2II%E2%80%A2III:_Story_of_Llylgamyn]https://wizardry.fandom.com/wiki/Wizardry_I%E2%80%A2II%E2%80%A2III:_Story_of_Llylgamyn[/url]
budgielover: I thought only Heart of the Maelstrom (Wizardry V) was ported to SNES?
DanAmrich: There was a Super Famicon version of I, II, and III released in the late 90s, but only in Japan.

[url=https://wizardry.fandom.com/wiki/Wizardry_I%E2%80%A2II%E2%80%A2III:_Story_of_Llylgamyn]https://wizardry.fandom.com/wiki/Wizardry_I%E2%80%A2II%E2%80%A2III:_Story_of_Llylgamyn[/url]
It also:
* Was only released via a service called Nintendo Power (no relation to the magazine). Basically, you would buy a blank cartridge, and then, at certain kiosks, pay to install a game on it.
* It was also released very late in the console's lifespan. By this point, Soliton had already released remakes of the first 3 games for the Sony PlayStation and Sega Saturn.
* Also worth noting that the SFC version is based on the FC/NES versions. In particular, Wizarrdy 3: Knight of Diamonds (yes, the ASCII console versions switched 2 and 3) is based on the FC/NES version, with the added fetch quests, the addition of monsters from other early Wizardries, the redoing of the dungeon, and most importantly, this version is balanced for a level 1 start. This is in contrast to the Soliton versions, which are more faithful to the original, with Wizardry 2: Knight of Diamonds expecting an imported party.