It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
I plan on buying this game. I HAVE NEVER played this game despite being a massive Warhammer fan.

The reason...it has NEVER been DRM free. It ALWAYS required an online activation and DRM even more seriously than that. The DRM on this game was MASSIVE.

That this game is even here and you can play single player is a massive thing. I still don't like the DRM indications of it's online component...BUT...it was one of the MOST DRM'd stronghold games EVER.

It's probably because it's only after 14 YEARS that they are going to relax their DRM. It's the stupidest DRM I ever saw. Required DRM meant that they lost at least 1000 sales (yeah, I know, small change to them) due to everyone in my gaming club boycotting this game. Even those who could put up with Steam back then boycotted it because of HOW MASSIVE it's DRM was.

It was a signal of things to come (always online DRM came soon after, and then the disappearance of hardcopies of games that could be installed and played without ever activating them onlne).

I see review of people saying the DRM is bad...these people either were asleep when they dealt with the stronger DRM when it was released, or never actually played a legitimate copy of this game, EVER. The DRM on this original was extremely horrible.

I'm not surprised if they still required some DRM to play online even with a GOG release. These people who made the game and distrubuted it don't realize WH40K is kind of a parody on societies that impose their will over that of free will. They think that's how things should be.

It would be great if those complaining would recall DOW II and how draconian it's DRM actually is and was prior to it coming to GOG. Still bad if it has DRM over it's online (but as I said, those who made this game would rather never have a sale and lose sales than to allow others freedom nad the ability to control what they buy) but it's still a far cry from how bad it has been in it's past with the DRM.

It may even be that the DRM online is a relic of the DRM that came with the game, someone just forgot to take it out completely and disassociate it from the other DRM that it required online initially.
Thank you. ^^ I totally agree. Complaining without askin before, or gettin real information, seems a lil bit reality nowadays for some people.

And instead of beeing happy about this possibility they're just lookin what they not! get.

I'm super happy with this version.
Like as usual on G.O.G .. this thing is now my real property.
Thats what I paid for.

Good time for you and have fun playin :D
Yeah, while it sucks that there is no LAN and the Skirmishes require online connection, people are completely ignorant on just how locked up the original release was. I suppose the only way to make the game "completely DRM free" was to remove the Skirmish and Multiplayer modes altogether.
GFWL not so worst. Moreover having one game give you access to online functions of another hundred ones. Most of GFWL games (that ones with Live not just from GFW Marketplace).
Offline profiles really offline. No need to make online acc first unlike Steam.

Altgough game first GFWL than Steam, disc versions come as steam-game and that one make it worst.
Post edited July 09, 2023 by QWEEDDYZ
so to get this right...

The game sold in GOG is DRM free for its campaing but it has somekind of DRM for its online features. Just like Warband does. Is this correct?

I guess the DRM it has is serial key, Galaxy prfile type of thing and not DENUVO level, correct?
GreywolfLord: I HAVE NEVER played this game despite being a massive Warhammer fan.
The reason it has NEVER been DRM free. It ALWAYS required an online activation and DRM.

That this game is even here and you can play single player is a massive thing. I still don't like the DRM indications of it's online component BUT it was one of the MOST DRM'd stronghold games EVER.

I see review of people saying the DRM is bad...these people were asleep when they dealt with the stronger DRM when it was released. I'm not surprised if they still required some DRM to play online even with a GOG release.

It would be great if those complaining would recall DOW II and how draconian it's DRM actually is and was prior to it coming to GOG. Still bad if it has DRM over it's online but it's still a far cry from how bad it has been in it's past with the DRM.
Yup, for some years before GOG existed, I almost no longer bought PC games, and I had not bought DoW2 for its DRM.
I wonder what about are talking the so LAN players: DoW2 ALWAYS was DRM protected, even when at first you may be able to play it through LAN.
Post edited July 10, 2023 by ERISS
Yeah, the fact that we got the single player on GOG without DRM is already a miracle.
Post edited July 10, 2023 by G².
jocaguz18: so to get this right...

The game sold in GOG is DRM free for its campaing but it has somekind of DRM for its online features. Just like Warband does. Is this correct?

I guess the DRM it has is serial key, Galaxy prfile type of thing and not DENUVO level, correct?
No, the game just requires you to use Galaxy to play multiplayer. The Singleplayer portion of the game is fully accessible.
jocaguz18: so to get this right...

They stripped out LAN and all you need is Galaxy to play multiplayer for DOW Fan patch here for LAN, DOW2 was always online even for skirmishes, there is no offline patch that I know of, and it's a nightmare and always has been to play with highly restrictive and broken DRM. Singleplayer is worth it alone.
GFWL version (scene warez or discs releases) can be used for xliveless cracks with restoring cut festures (some gamemodes/features are cut on GOG next to same Steam)
GreywolfLord: I plan on buying this game. I HAVE NEVER played this game despite being a massive Warhammer fan.

The reason...it has NEVER been DRM free. It ALWAYS required an online activation and DRM even more seriously than that. The DRM on this game was MASSIVE.

That this game is even here and you can play single player is a massive thing. I still don't like the DRM indications of it's online component...BUT...it was one of the MOST DRM'd stronghold games EVER.

It's probably because it's only after 14 YEARS that they are going to relax their DRM. It's the stupidest DRM I ever saw. Required DRM meant that they lost at least 1000 sales (yeah, I know, small change to them) due to everyone in my gaming club boycotting this game. Even those who could put up with Steam back then boycotted it because of HOW MASSIVE it's DRM was.

It was a signal of things to come (always online DRM came soon after, and then the disappearance of hardcopies of games that could be installed and played without ever activating them onlne).

I see review of people saying the DRM is bad...these people either were asleep when they dealt with the stronger DRM when it was released, or never actually played a legitimate copy of this game, EVER. The DRM on this original was extremely horrible.

I'm not surprised if they still required some DRM to play online even with a GOG release. These people who made the game and distrubuted it don't realize WH40K is kind of a parody on societies that impose their will over that of free will. They think that's how things should be.

It would be great if those complaining would recall DOW II and how draconian it's DRM actually is and was prior to it coming to GOG. Still bad if it has DRM over it's online (but as I said, those who made this game would rather never have a sale and lose sales than to allow others freedom nad the ability to control what they buy) but it's still a far cry from how bad it has been in it's past with the DRM.

It may even be that the DRM online is a relic of the DRM that came with the game, someone just forgot to take it out completely and disassociate it from the other DRM that it required online initially.
If you are interested in mods, do not get this version. Or if you do, also get the £3 steam copy of soulstorm.

Also, 100% that GFWL was terrible.
Post edited July 11, 2023 by fuggles
The big difference is that DOW2 has a single player mode locked behind multiplayer access.

I don't play either, so I don't care.