It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I'm running X-Wing 1998 on the same computer that I can run the original CD version (1998) on.

The issue is the Hardware 3D Graphic setting won't stick with the GOG version. It falls back to 16bit.

The original version will render in beautiful 3D just fine.

What is wrong with the GOG version?
Also, the GOGLauncher doesn't run either.
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
The 3D Hardware mode was specifically disabled by GoG. There is a patch you can use to restore it, though note that there is currently no way to get it working with Windows 8. 7 and under should be fine

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=41331
Post edited November 12, 2014 by Tarvis
Shame on GOG. One of the only reasons to own the title is the 3D Hardware support.
Tarvis: The 3D Hardware mode was specifically disabled by GoG. There is a patch you can use to restore it, though note that there is currently no way to get it working with Windows 8. 7 and under should be fine

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=41331
Primecrew: One of the only reasons to own the title is the 3D Hardware support.
yeah, the game itself sucks pretty bad, but the 3D models with their washed out textures are so friggin beautiful to look at
You missed my point.
I said one reason to REPURCHASE this specific version is the Hardware 3D mode.

I own the game.

From the 3.5" floppy discs back in 1992 or 1993 (I'm 43 years old) to now.

If you have washed out textures, you don't know what gamma is.

I've purchased this game 3 times.

I first saw it in 1992 in Seattle Washington.
I purchased a $3000 PC in 1993 or 1994 (Gateway P90) to specifically play this game.
I own:
3.5" floppy version.
The first "Collector" series
And the last Black Box version.

So way to latch on to the only point you can make. Idiot.
Primecrew: One of the only reasons to own the title is the 3D Hardware support.
Cyphox: yeah, the game itself sucks pretty bad, but the 3D models with their washed out textures are so friggin beautiful to look at
Post edited November 12, 2014 by Primecrew
Cyphox: yeah, the game itself sucks pretty bad, but the 3D models with their washed out textures are so friggin beautiful to look at
Turn the brightness down to 0. They're washed out because it did brightness by modulating textures instead of lighting. Just like Quake 2.

With brightness on 0 you get all kinds of details back!
Attachments:
Primecrew: You missed my point.
I said one reason to REPURCHASE this specific version is the Hardware 3D mode.
no you didnt. but i get your point.
Primecrew: If you have washed out textures, you don't know what gamma is.
game doesnt either, the ingame option is called brightness, not gamma.
Primecrew: I own the game.
From the 3.5" floppy discs back in 1992 or 1993 (I'm 43 years old) to now.
I've purchased this game 3 times.
I first saw it in 1992 in Seattle Washington.
I purchased a $3000 PC in 1993 or 1994 (Gateway P90) to specifically play this game.
I own:
3.5" floppy version.
The first "Collector" series
And the last Black Box version.
wow, so interesting, please tell me more.
Primecrew: So way to latch on to the only point you can make. Idiot.
thanks sweetheart
Cyphox: game doesnt either, the ingame option is called brightness, not gamma.
Semantics. Gamma >is< brightness.
Cyphox: game doesnt either, the ingame option is called brightness, not gamma.
Tarvis: Semantics. Gamma >is< brightness.
still every graphics card driver and almost every modern game has seperated settings for gamma and brightness.
its brightness in one way, but its not the same as... well, 'real' brightness, isnt it? :-D
Post edited November 12, 2014 by Cyphox
Tarvis: Semantics. Gamma >is< brightness.
Cyphox: still every graphics card driver and almost every modern game has seperated settings for gamma and brightness.
its brightness in one way, but its not the same as... well, 'real' brightness, isnt it? :-D
This isn't a modern game, is it, love?
Well, the snide comments aside, if you are using an ATI card and follow the instructions to hex edit the EXE and place the DLL files for ATI in place, the result is really excellent.

People can say how much they love the 1994 version all they want, I'll give up the scenes of taking off/landing in favor of these graphics, and I'll take the original soundtrack cuts vs the iMuse any day. And I owned all 3 versions originally and still own the 1994 CD somewhere.
Attachments:
x-wing-ss.jpg (295 Kb)
Post edited November 14, 2014 by ThunderVamp9
Tarvis: The 3D Hardware mode was specifically disabled by GoG. There is a patch you can use to restore it, though note that there is currently no way to get it working with Windows 8. 7 and under should be fine

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&amp;t=41331
Patch worked for me: Win Xp Pro 32 bit SP3, ATI HD4850

Thanks Tarvis!
Post edited April 30, 2015 by pbenevelli
Primecrew: Shame on GOG. One of the only reasons to own the title is the 3D Hardware support.
They had to choose between not officially supporting the newest Windows operating system on all the games or disabling the 3D Acceleration in one of the games. Not exactly ideal, but it was lose-lose either way.

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&amp;t=41331
I had to use the patch and the dgvoodoo2. Also had to run the launcher program and enable software mouse for that to show up. Menus and what not seem to lag a little but actual gameplay looks so much better in 3D.

Strangely the Xwing vs Tie Fighter works fine as is and runs on the same engine :)
I have applied the dgvoodoo2 patch and it now works a treat in 3D, however, on X wing, when I go into the map and then exit out back into the cockpit the cockpit is black like all the textures have gone, anyone else have this issue?