It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

If you enjoy Slitherine creations, this news is sure to please you – check out the gem joining our catalog today!

Strategic Command: World War II - War in the Pacific is a turn-based strategy game that offers a comprehensive experience of the Pacific Theater, challenging you to achieve victory in one of history's greatest conflicts.

Now on GOG!
i see a poor rip off of A&A 1942 for 5 times the cost
ssling: It always baffles me how much demand there apparently is for this sort of strategy games. It's not only niche subject but also must be very complex to develop if they want to be historically and technically accurate etc., and yet companies like Slitherine release multiple of those per year, so it must be quite profitable.
It might indeed need a gigantic ammount of research compared to other videogames. However this got my attention for 5 minutes, How can you make a interesting strategic videogame that's also history accurate?

I mean, if you know something about the subject itself it's nothing but a "press next simulator", right? Afterall, history has only 1 path on our timeline.
On a grand scale, we already know the end, beginning and everything in between. Is there only 1 correct path in the game, 1 correct decision?
BreOl72: They are a niche.
They know that they are a niche.
And they are very grateful towards the companies that serve their niche.
Looooooooooooooooooool

Their commitment is something to be jealous of when considering other genres
ssling: It always baffles me how much demand there apparently is for this sort of strategy games. It's not only niche subject but also must be very complex to develop if they want to be historically and technically accurate etc., and yet companies like Slitherine release multiple of those per year, so it must be quite profitable.
Syphon72: Just my opinion. I like their games, but I'm guessing these are made for dirt cheap and sold at 3x the price. What other company is making Wargames like Slitherine? I think Slitherine knows they have little monopoly on Wargames and can get away with the high pricing.
I just don't think they would sell many more copies if they lowered the prices, these kinds of games have a limited audience, that audience knows what it wants and supports these kinds of games, but it's not a fast growing audience. And it's not the flashy kind of games that draws in the crowds if they were free. These games aren't selling millions of copies, and while they don't have AAA budgets either, they probably need to be somewhat pricey to make back their cost.
Syphon72: Just my opinion. I like their games, but I'm guessing these are made for dirt cheap and sold at 3x the price. What other company is making Wargames like Slitherine? I think Slitherine knows they have little monopoly on Wargames and can get away with the high pricing.
fisk0: I just don't think they would sell many more copies if they lowered the prices, these kinds of games have a limited audience, that audience knows what it wants and supports these kinds of games, but it's not a fast growing audience. And it's not the flashy kind of games that draws in the crowds if they were free. These games aren't selling millions of copies, and while they don't have AAA budgets either, they probably need to be somewhat pricey to make back their cost.
This. To understand these games, on might have to consider table top wargames.
Carradice: This. To understand these games, on might have to consider table top wargames.
This IS basically a table top wargame - in digitized form.

Pushing markers, with tactical military symbols and numbers on them, around?
Directly taken from TT wargames.
fisk0: I just don't think they would sell many more copies if they lowered the prices, these kinds of games have a limited audience, that audience knows what it wants and supports these kinds of games, but it's not a fast growing audience. And it's not the flashy kind of games that draws in the crowds if they were free. These games aren't selling millions of copies, and while they don't have AAA budgets either, they probably need to be somewhat pricey to make back their cost.
You make a fair point.