It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Lemon_Curry: You've probably seen it but just in case I highly recommend Adrian Lyne's excellent Jacob's Ladder.
Actually I haven't. I heard the ttle a couple of times and I have still zero idea what the film is about or what genre -if any- it belongs to.

As for the thread, I've watched "The Pact" (as some could have guessed) and "The possession of michael king". Both were quite good, in their respective ways. "The pact" was a gentle movie, with a nice sense of tension but finally quite tame. "The possession of michael king" was a tad more brutal and disturbing, and also had a nice sense of pace (I love slow progression, in supernatural thrillers), yet it did go a bit overboard past one point. And some sequences unexpectedly hurled the film into muppet show territory (the montage of self-exorcism attempts had a strongly hilarious wile e. coyote flavor to them). It didn't go quite as far as "1408", but still past the tipping point where I cease to be anxious and just start expecting bruce campbell one-liners instead.

Also, the weird impression that all these films are just the children of "The exorcist" and "The shining". Perpetual recombinations of their same elements. The ending of "The possession of michael king" is quite, hm, familiar, in that respect...

Anyway, the marathon is not over.
Stephen King's 1408. Though make sure you watch a version with the original ending. I've seen both and I feel the original ending works better as a conclusion.

"This [original] ending is the default ending on the Blu-ray release and two-disc collector's edition. Canadian networks Space and The Movie Network broadcast this version of the film, as does U.S. network FX, although Space did broadcast the original ending version on July 23, 2012. The UK, Australian DVD, and U.S. iTunes version also use this ending. Netflix also uses this version."
Lemon_Curry: You've probably seen it but just in case I highly recommend Adrian Lyne's excellent Jacob's Ladder.
Telika: ... I have still zero idea what the film is about or what genre -if any- it belongs to.
That's a good thing, trust me. I'm sure you'll be (un-)pleasantly surprised. :)

Seriously, it's a must-see! If you consider buying it on DVD I recommend the R1 special edition by Artisan Entertainment as it comes with a lot of extras (such as an impressive deleted scene courtesy of special prosthetic effects designer Gordon J. Smith). The film contains some spectacular effects - all of them done in-camera.

I love horror films but I'm highly critical (as well as quite picky) and not easily impressed or frightened. This rare gem always has a tremendous emotional impact on me.
Post edited September 13, 2014 by Lemon_Curry
Secuestrados, or translated as "Kidnapped" to the English-speaking market. Home invasion horror/thriller movie, shot in one long over-the-shoulder take, like you're a mute ghost bearing witness to the terrible, abhorrent events unfolding in this middle-class Spanish home that is hijacked by an entourage of thugs who hold the family hostage for money. Casual cruelty abounds by the all-business home invaders, particularly by the ringleader. Very tense and very terrifying. Closest thing to Rec that you mentioned in your post.

Anything by Michael Haneke. He's probably known most for Funny Games, another psychological thriller/horror home invasion film. Haneke is German and he made a short-for-shot English remake of his own film, so you can take your pick. A pair of creepily polite young men start imposing themselves on the hospitality of a bourgeoisie couple on a vacation retreat at a summer lakeside home and things escalate when they take the family hostage (two parents, one child, and the family dog) and force them to participate in a number of pointless, cruel, manipulative psychological games or risk further injury and death. Shot and directed in a way that the violence is not of the lazy, popcorn flasher-movie variety, but meant to purposely make you feel queasy and wrong.

However, Haneke has directed many morbid and disturbing films in the career. It's something of his forte, really, starting with The Seventh Continent, which is the story of an Austrian family who decides to commit mass suicide at the end of the movie after destroying all of their possessions, to The Piano Teacher, about a sadomasochistic relationship between a middle-aged piano tutor and her teenage pupil, to Amour, which is about the horrorshow of indignity and despair that is old age.

Session 9, an American psychological horror indie directed to Brad Anderson, no stranger to these things (he also directed The Machinist and Transsiberian). The plot is five working-class asbestos abatement crew members are working a rush job to decontaminate an abandoned psychiatric hospital within a week over Columbus Day weekend. They are all somewhat underachievers in their own lives and plagued by individual hang-ups and regrets, not to mention petty in-fighting. As they work they are slowly traumatized by the psychic energy of all the terrible things that happened in the old asylum's halls. Is it the work of malefic ghosts? Or are they just losing their marbles? Very effective thriller. The best thing about the movie is Danvers State Mental Hospital itself, a real building with that real purpose at the time of filming, with a pedigree going back to the 19th century. If you like this one, then check out The Machinist by the same director. It was one of Christian Bale's most demanding roles where he lost 1/3 of his body weight to play the strung-out, haunted, emaciated protagonist. His skeletal body is enough of a horrorshow, not even including the rest of the movie.

, a period film from 1999. Part cannibal movie, part western, part black comedy, part supernatural horror film set at a remote army outpost in the Sierra Nevada mountains in the mid-19th century. Inspired in part by real-life instances of cannibalism in The Donner Party and [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alferd_Packer]Alferd Packer. The film moves and is paced pretty well. Lighter fare than what I suggested above while still falling squarely in the "horror" genre.
I guess the problem with threads like this are that by the time one arrives a lot of one's recommends already get casual or involved mentions.

I'll go with another indie of mine, it was a made-for-TV movie actually. The Riverman, which dramatizes detective Robert Keppel's efforts in the 80s to catch the Green River Killer. While on the case, he gets a curious offer in the mail to help assist him in his efforts...by no other than Ted Bundy himself, currently on death row in Florida. A good part of the film is comprised of Keppel's interviews and back-and-forth with Bundy in his cell, as well as re-enactments to Bundy's own crimes and methods back in the 70s when his own spree was going on. Good psychological drama. Cary Elwes, whom eveyrone and their mother knows from Princess Bride, gives the best performance in his career, really. Riveting and effective how he "transforms" himself into the entity of Bundy, down to the wormy manipulation and superficial charms.

I'll give a shout-out to 30 Days of Night, set during the month-long polar night of the Alaskan wilderness. After years of sanitizing vampires into euro-trash seducers or gothy eternal adolescents with fangs, this movie brings back vampires as feral, terrifying, otherworldly monsters, like a Nosferatu on steroids. Nothing sexy or beguiling about these creatures. Danny Huston leads the coven, and he's great.
MaridAudran: I'll give a shout-out to 30 Days of Night, set during the month-long polar night of the Alaskan wilderness. After years of sanitizing vampires into euro-trash seducers or gothy eternal adolescents with fangs, this movie brings back vampires as feral, terrifying, otherworldly monsters, like a Nosferatu on steroids. Nothing sexy or beguiling about these creatures. Danny Huston leads the coven, and he's great.
30 days of night is a great movie for its genre, really enjoyed it.
If you can find it, the scariest movie I've ever seen is Noroi: The Curse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Curse_%282005_film%29
To me 'terrifying' = creepy, and I thought these were creepy:
* The Pact * Dark Water * The Eye * Into the Mirror * The Skeleton Key * Paranormal Activity
* Insidious * The Others * Let Me In * Stephen King's IT * Salem's Lot
* Shutter * Silent Hill * Pet Cemetery * The Orphanage * Premonition
* Bulshinjiok * Reincarnation (Rinne) * Lake Mungo * The Maid * Mama
* Dead Silence * The Devil's Backbone * What Lies Beneath * The House of the Devil * V/H/S
* Whistle And I'll Come To You (slow but creepy)

The 'MarbleHornets' videos on youtube were also quite creepy, especially in the beginning.
Post edited September 13, 2014 by R8V9F5A2
So, as I am getting slowly out of my horror phase, let's wrap it up with some feedback so far.

"Kairo" is an interesting film, but really not what I'd qualify as a scary movie. It's not even a thriller. It's a vaguely depressing poem, a contemplative allegory of depression and alienation as people thought internet would exacerbate. It's basically the last two episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion, or, as I told a friend, a two hours version of Eleanor Rigby.

"The Conjuring", "The Pact", "The quiet ones" and "The possession" are nice unimaginative run-of-the-mill reiterations of the classics (they are all mere recombinations of "The shining", "the exorcist" and "amityville"). That was a bit what I was looking for. "The Conjuring" and "The Pact" managed to be a bit scary at times, thanks to great cinematography. "The Pact" was especially interesting in that it relied entirely on horror cinema codes and anticipation : very little actually happens, except fright of something expected to happen because such-scenes-traditionally-lead-to-something-happening. It was a very postmodernist play on our "fear of fear". However, I notice that ragdolls are my limit : I stop taking a ghost movie film "seriously" once people get hurled around. Once the crescendo of magical phenomenons reach this point, I'm lost to the movie, and start finding the effects comedic.

"The Possession of Michael King" was good. It was tense, and managed to feel a bit different. It did have some unvoluntary humour (like all the others at different points), with the tex avery self-exorcism sequences, but all in all, it the the most fresh and similtaneously efficient. It did, however, like some of these new movies, feature a nasty amount of conservative religious preaching.

"Fourth kind" and "Devil inside" were terribly bad, and brought me to set up a never-ever-watch-movies-below-an-imdb-score-of-5 hard rule. I think I am really unforgiving when it comes to movie endings, when they really make the lack of thought up story flagrant. I feel particularly sorry for "Fourth kind", because it had a very daring, original style, attempting something quite new (having false "real footage" paralleling "re-enactment" in split-screen), but it unfortunately didn't turn out efficient at all. I suspect it was simply due to the authors not deciding what style they want to film in (real esthetic movie or found footage), and trying to do it both ways simultaneously. It does not work. At all.

Also, big big trend of starting movies with some "based on true events" caption. Read : "hello, either you or me is completely retarded, enjoy my movie". What's up with that ? I always miss the first sound/image due to my facepalm.
I am sorry to hear that you watched "Devil Inside." It's not fun, even a little. Like you, I had mixed feelings about "Fourth Kind" - I thought it needed to go somewhere and didn't seem to know how to get there, but on the other hand I enjoyed what was given (and I really loved the critical furor when people felt betrayed after the fact, discovering that there is no truth whatsoever in the story - duh - and that Nome does not lead the world in disappearing people, or whatever it was). It's a project by Olatunde Osunsanmi, whose prior piece was the mean and terrible movie "The Cavern."

As this thread goes on and I get a better sense of what you like and what you've seen, I have one more to recommend. It is not, strictly speaking, a pure horror flick; it's a horror film peering back through a courtroom procedural. Many people hate it, and I was neutral about it on first viewing, but since then I've watched it many times and come to really really like it. I think you might like it as well: "The Exorcism of Emily Rose." People come to it expecting a standard possession picture, and it isn't one, so they leave disappointed. The director, Scott Derickson, also did "Sinister"; it stars Laura Linney, Tom Wilkinson, Jennifer Carpenter, Campbell Scott, and Colm Feore, so it's a legit project in the way that so many others are not.

There is one cheap jump-scare that sets a high-water mark for jump-scares, and - for me at least - is indelible.

And ILS! Watch ILS! Make sure it's dark and the sound is loud.
Post edited September 19, 2014 by LinustheBold
oooh late to the party...

An old film I really really enjoyed that never seems to get a mention..

Angel Heart
jefequeso: If you can find it, the scariest movie I've ever seen is Noroi: The Curse.
Yeah it's eerily atmospheric and has a tense and effective narrative build-up but I consider the ending a let-down (as well as the misdirected use of CGI in one particular scene). It's definitely worth watching though and not at all difficult to track down as long as your DVD player is region 3 compatible:
http://dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=6243

Telika: "Kairo" is an interesting film, but really not what I'd qualify as a scary movie. It's not even a thriller. It's a vaguely depressing poem, a contemplative allegory of depression and alienation...
Well, that and the way it's depicted definitely qualifies as scary in my book but I'm glad you found it interesting.

Telika: ... a two hours version of Eleanor Rigby.
He he...
The Conjuring, good one.
Try taking your laptop to a churchyard at night and play Slender. (At least that scared me.)
tinyE: Also I recently ordered The Human Centipede which I've heard while not scary is really disturbing so I'm looking forward to that.
... EEEEEEWWWW. :(

I watch all kinds of Horror movies, including Splatter-heavy or generally nasty flicks, but even I have my limits.