It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

GHOSTMD: Is this the right place to mention the various security exploits steam and the other launchers
have as well? Since decades now? No? Too bad?
You're welcome to highlight similar vulnerabilities in competing launchers, for the sake of comparison. But GOG is supposed to be better than Steam et al. If they've been lax in addressing security problems, that doesn't give GOG a free pass to do the same.
GHOSTMD: Is this the right place to mention the various security exploits steam and the other launchers
have as well? Since decades now? No? Too bad?
Ice_Mage: You're welcome to highlight similar vulnerabilities in competing launchers, for the sake of comparison. But GOG is supposed to be better than Steam et al. If they've been lax in addressing security problems, that doesn't give GOG a free pass to do the same.
True it doesn t give the Devs a free pass, i wont list CVE issues about other launchers here either.
DRM is a issue enough even for STEAM to boycott it completely, wake me up once STEAM gets
optional like Galaxy.

For the matter at hand, you know what LOCAL access means? Who ever crawls that deep into your
System uses most likely said Windows exploits to elevate the rights he has, for executing programs.
Ofc a "indie" game dev could use Galaxy to let it execute malicious code, but same goes for steam.
Thats up to the platform owners to make sure it isn t used that way.

Everything else, that give an intruder "local access" is pretty much a combination of services that can be
exploited. Hence the reason i mentioned that Galaxy isn t the only program having issues.
Let alone (as said) the OS in itself too.

the said ISSUE steam has is similar "GAINING PRIVILEDGES" aka "elevation of priviliges"
the number you search for

CVE-2020-15530 CWE269
Date
21. 07. 2021

So once again, before we start taking a dump on the galaxy devs. We might take a step back, take into
considerration that the TEAM pretty much got axxed twice now in the last years. Will not expect any "fast"
progress regarding galaxy. Neither in the aquisitions regarding games... and i really yearn for some good
onces like CoH or upcoming Homeworld 3

PS
if we re LUCKY GoG will stay DRM free and Galaxy will stay optional.
(PRO TIP you always can use the games standalone if you re so worried about Galaxy compromising your machine)
Not a option STEAM lets you have (with DRM infested games) not the DRM free ones
Post edited January 28, 2022 by GHOSTMD