It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Something wicked this way comes.

<span class="bold">Tyranny Commander Edition</span>, the dark isometric RPG from Pillars of Eternity creators Obsidian Entertainment, is just around the corner. It is a story of bloody conquest, ruthless law enforcement, and an attempt to restore order by any means necessary.

The lucky people at Polygon recently got a good taste of the game's opening part and lived to tell the tale. In it, they helped decide the outcome of a brutal invasion, engaged in real-time-with-pause combat, and participated in some lore-heavy conversations.

After spending some time with the game themselves, RockPaperShotgun found the depiction of evil and the game's bleak setting quite intriguing, concluding that <span class="bold">In Tyranny, it's good to be evil</span>.

<span class="bold">Tyranny Commander Edition</span> is coming out on November 10th, and it's now up for preorder, DRM-Free on GOG.com. Apart from the regular Commander's Edition, you can score some nice digital extras by claiming the title of <span class="bold">Archon</span> or even <span class="bold">Overlord</span>.

Check out Polygon's exploits below for a taste of this story-heavy roleplaying experience:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/4izf55L8Tsw
Post edited October 20, 2016 by maladr0Id
high rated
Would be nice if we can actually get a response on possible upgrade paths.
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/preorder_tyranny_commander_edition_f24b1/post110
We're not in Telltale universe: silence is not a valid option.
I don't wanna watch someone play, I wanna be the one that plays! :D
I want to preface this post by stating that I am rather excited by the upcoming release of Tyranny. The world described is interesting and the emphasis on choices in a world where morality is ambiguous is definitely appealing. That being said, I think that the developers missed the point of their story that makes it truly unique. Many games start with evil having already effectively won or with "good" being so far back on the ropes that defeat is probable. I think what makes Tyranny close to unique is that you are at the right hand of the evil, and you need to choose what to do with that position. Exploit the position to its fullest, try to mitigate the harm caused by the new regime, subvert it, etc. I say close to unique as you can find yourself in a similar position in Geneforge 4 and 5 though who is good and who is evil there is much harder to judge.

A rambling post, but I am hurried right now. The bottomline, what they are doing is not unique but it is quite rare and has the potential to make for a VERY interesting game.
That stupid banner takes up the entire screen when I load GOG; I had to scroll down to see that there was an actual release. I trust it's not going to be like that for the next twenty days.

As for Tyranny, whatever I guess. When people have had a chance to play the entire game, as opposed to 100 minutes, I'll read reviews and form an opinion.
Looks promising. We'll have to wait and see I guess.
high rated
I've been so excited about this game since it was first advertised but then I read this in the Rock Paper Shotgun review;

"Yes, [there is] an actual time limit a la Fallout. Once you’ve read this edict, a counter pops up at the top of the screen informing you how many days are left until all life is extinguished. Time passes whenever you leave to go to a new area (a.k.a. when traveling), and if you don’t accomplish your goal before the eight days is up?

“The game ends,” said Heins. “If you are really good and know where to go you absolutely can do everything in that eight days, though it starts getting tight.""

I know a lot of people like them but for me timed events like this are a game killer. They completely suck the fun out of playing a game and slowly exploring. I don't have a lot of time to play and don't want to play through the same scenario over and over again to be able to acquire the knowledge I need to finish a game successfully. Sorry Obsidian but that'll be one less sale.
BadDecissions: I trust it's not going to be like that for the next twenty days.
Twenty days would be too much for a promotion; I guess the frontpage will feature the Tyranny banner for some more days, at most until the start of Halloween sale next week. It may return after that though, since we will be closing the release date.
Post edited October 20, 2016 by Vythonaut
Pajama: <explanatory stuff>

Sorry Obsidian but that'll be one less sale.
Welp. I wasn't planning on buying it full price nor any time soon, but make that two. I hate timed stuff, as well. Thank you for the heads-up!
Pajama: I've been so excited about this game since it was first advertised but then I read this in the Rock Paper Shotgun review;

"Yes, [there is] an actual time limit a la Fallout. Once you’ve read this edict, a counter pops up at the top of the screen informing you how many days are left until all life is extinguished. Time passes whenever you leave to go to a new area (a.k.a. when traveling), and if you don’t accomplish your goal before the eight days is up?

“The game ends,” said Heins. “If you are really good and know where to go you absolutely can do everything in that eight days, though it starts getting tight.""

I know a lot of people like them but for me timed events like this are a game killer. They completely suck the fun out of playing a game and slowly exploring. I don't have a lot of time to play and don't want to play through the same scenario over and over again to be able to acquire the knowledge I need to finish a game successfully. Sorry Obsidian but that'll be one less sale.
From this bit (“We wanted the replayability and playing different paths though, and having a time limit creates a sense of urgency that maybe you don’t want to do everything. And with Kyros and the Edicts,” he continued, “we wanted to add some visual presence. The time limit felt like a good way to show this is actually urgent.”) I take that to mean that it's not accomplishing the main objective of the opening section that'll require multiple play attempts, but doing so perfectly by making all the best choices, solving all the disputes and doing all the side-quests. You won't fail by prioritising one area over another and instead the game assumes that another Fatebinder came and fucked up in your absence, but that only changes how events play out in the next section instead of resulting in a bad end.

Having a clear, short-term deadline, rather than a single big one for the entire game, like that could work well. The problem is usually that the game is either not clear on which quests are and aren't time-sensitive or that they feel like they're trying to rush you to finish the game as soon as possible. Here time seems to only pass between changing areas, so you can explore an area as much as you want but have to think carefully about which areas to visit next.
Post edited October 20, 2016 by Fortuk
Fortuk: Here time seems to only pass between changing areas, so you can explore an area as much as you want but have to think carefully about which areas to visit next.
But you still need to play through the game numerous times to know the 'correct' way to finish it to beat the eight day timer. Even the dev said “If you are really good and know where to go you absolutely can do everything in that eight days, though it starts getting tight." For me personally this type of gaming is just not fun. On the plus side at least I've found out now before spending good money on it :)
Pajama: But you still need to play through the game numerous times to know the 'correct' way to finish it to beat the eight day timer. Even the dev said “If you are really good and know where to go you absolutely can do everything in that eight days, though it starts getting tight." For me personally this type of gaming is just not fun. On the plus side at least I've found out now before spending good money on it :)
To be honest that mechanic is justified by the simple fact that the game is a Role-Playing one. It isn't a completely new movement for such games to be time-limited in a way. The first example that I have right now is "Pathologic" - you are always limited on time, and you have to be careful what you do next, otherwise you might find something amazing, but you won't live long enough to enjoy it. That's the point - it isn't there just to artificially boost the difficulty(like in XCOM 2) - it is to make you think ahead, to stress you, to make you really involved in the game.

Also in RPGs you don't have "correct" or "wrong" way of playing. That's its magic after all - be whoever you want to be, do whatever you want to do, but be mindful that consequences exist for every decision you make.

Considering these 2 common traits of games from that genre, the reasons why you won't be getting Tyranny are odd to me.
Post edited October 20, 2016 by Marty30001
Frozen: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/preorder_tyranny_commander_edition_f24b1/post110
We're not in Telltale universe: silence is not a valid option.
so true!
Post edited October 20, 2016 by RadonGOG
The combat looks pretty dated and sluggish, sort of wish it were more like Divinity Original Sin instead of, "slash, wait, slash, wait, activate skill, wait, slash, dead." Definitely would have liked to see more polish on that, its hard to see something thats a clunky throwback after a streamlined modern version.

I'm concerned with how much long drawn out narration there will be in between actual gameplay. 20 minutes to action isn't bad for this kind of game, but even Planescape and Baulder's gate had a quicker interactive introduction. I do like the branching path system, kind of feels like you're setting the world up as you would in a 4x game, but the parameters are military decisions that set the tone up for where and how you end up. Visuals look fine except for say the sprites representing the characters in the windows, I would have preferred some kind of face art instead of the rather rough sprites we see there.