It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

JakobFel: People who know me know I'm very pro-GOG and I don't agree with the "anything online is automatically DRM" perspective, but I have to agree with this. Free drops are one thing. Connect rewards for linking with GOG Galaxy are also fine. However, the gifting subs nonsense is unacceptable and is a literal, direct example of DRM.
I absolutely agree!
Johnathanamz: Yeah I can see you think that if you give 2 subs to this Twitch streamer you get a sniper rifle skin or if you give 1 sub to this Twitch streamer you get a helmet skin is not microtransactions. What? Dude you cannot get these skins in Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty just by playing.

Also you need to read again and see I put shame on you CD Projekt RED and gog.com after I put cool. Look I do not know how figures of speech works in the United Kingdom, but here in the United States of America, when people say cool as a joke or what ever it is a figure of speech. Not that they are serious or actually mean it.
pds41: I never commented on the type of transaction that was involved. You referenced Twitch Prime (which hasn't been a thing for a number of years), so I assumed you meant Amazon Prime Gaming. This month, all Amazon Prime Gaming subscribers are being given some Cyberpunk skins; I was referring to these. If Twitch Streamers (not that I've ever watched or come across one) are giving away different skins, well, fine, but that's so far divorced from the reality of the world I interact with, I really don't care.

But anyway, as Braggadar said, with punctuation your title would have been clearer. At the moment, your title reads as "There are some cool [great/amazing/things I want] skin drops that are available on Twitch Prime [which I don't have/I think is unfair to people who don't have]. Shame on you CDPR [for giving these amazing skins away on [Amazon Prime Gaming]"

If you put the comma or a semi colon in, it would have been marginally clearer that the cool wasn't an adjective, but only a little - e.g. Cool; skin drops are available on Twitch Prime for Cyberpunk 2077. Shame on you CDPR for this".

However, you'd have been better off omitting the sarcastic use of cool completely in the thread title and just saying what you meant - just because a word is used in a certain way by your demographic group in your country doesn't mean that native (or non-native) English speakers globally will understand it in the way that you do.
You are defending Digital Rights Management (DRM) in a 100% singleplayer video game sold on gog.com that also has microtransactions sold in it.
JakobFel: the gifting subs nonsense is unacceptable and is a literal, direct example of DRM.
"My Rewards" in their entirety are protected by online DRM. The acquisition method is irrelevant. Gifting subs is not an example of DRM. Gifting subs is an example of an indirect-Micro-Transaction, which is still bad, but it's not DRM in an of itself. It's just an overpriced DLC.

DRM is the requirement to authenticate our content, which includes everything within "My Rewards": The original free content, the Witcher and Gwent content, the Prime content and the new Twitch content. They all fall under the same system of DRMd "My Rewards".

CDP put "DRM FREE. No activation or online connection required to play." on the GOG store page and then proceed to require online activation to actually play this content.

The purpose of not wanting DRM is game preservation. When they inevitably shut this authentication system down, all of these "Rewards" will go poof, whether they were acquired via Twitch or Prime, or ownership of Witcher 3, or for free. The entire "My Rewards" system is managed by DRM.
JakobFel: People who know me know I'm very pro-GOG and I don't agree with the "anything online is automatically DRM" perspective <...> Free drops are one thing. Connect rewards for linking with GOG Galaxy are also fine.
If you disagree that "My Rewards" as a whole are managed by DRM, then you are simply protesting an indirect-Micro-Transaction, while defending DRM.

If they generated offline installers for all this content, including the Twitch gift rifle, then it would be a DRM-Free indirect-Micro-Transaction.

DRM is bad.
Micro-Transactions are bad.
However the two are not the same and should not be conflated.
One can exist without the other.
Post edited October 01, 2023 by SargonAelther
JakobFel: the gifting subs nonsense is unacceptable and is a literal, direct example of DRM.
SargonAelther: "My Rewards" in their entirety are protected by online DRM. The acquisition method is irrelevant. Gifting subs is not an example of DRM. Gifting subs is an example of an indirect-Micro-Transaction, which is still bad, but it's not DRM in an of itself. It's just an overpriced DLC.

DRM is the requirement to authenticate our content, which includes everything within "My Rewards": The original free content, the Witcher and Gwent content, the Prime content and the new Twitch content. They all fall under the same system of DRMd "My Rewards".

CDP put "DRM FREE. No activation or online connection required to play." on the GOG store page and then proceed to require online activation to actually play this content.

The purpose of not wanting DRM is game preservation. When they inevitably shut this authentication system down, all of these "Rewards" will go poof, whether they were acquired via Twitch or Prime, or ownership of Witcher 3, or for free. The entire "My Rewards" system is managed by DRM.
JakobFel: People who know me know I'm very pro-GOG and I don't agree with the "anything online is automatically DRM" perspective <...> Free drops are one thing. Connect rewards for linking with GOG Galaxy are also fine.
SargonAelther: If you disagree that "My Rewards" as a whole are managed by DRM, then you are simply protesting an indirect-Micro-Transaction, while defending DRM.

If they generated offline installers for all this content, including the Twitch gift rifle, then it would be a DRM-Free indirect-Micro-Transaction.

DRM is bad.
Micro-Transactions are bad.
However the two are not the same and should not be conflated.
One can exist without the other.
Somewhere it begins to feel that saying DRM is bad is almost similar to saying your national policeforce is bad.....

but yea, the police force as we know it today also began as a corporate payed institute there to defend the corporations rights...

Or was this in Cyberpunk 2077?!?! i'm not sure anymore
Zimerius: Somewhere it begins to feel that saying DRM is bad is almost similar to saying your national policeforce is bad.....

but yea, the police force as we know it today also began as a corporate payed institute there to defend the corporations rights...

I'm not sure if you're being serious or humorous, but I would not compare DRM to a national police force. When a book store that sold me a book goes out of business, the national police force does not break into my house to confiscate said book from me.

Like I said in my previous comment, the reason why I and some others are so against the use of DRM for "My Rewards" is because we want that content to be available forever, regardless of what happens to GOG Galaxy's authentication or to GOG themselves 20 years from now. We've already seen the long-term consequences of "Rewards" that require online authentication. Ubisoft gave us a pretty good idea.

Game needs to be prepared for preservation today, while the developers are still working on it, not 20 years from now when it's too late and nobody wants to dedicate any resources to preserve it. That's literally what Phil Salvador told them in their interview too:
Phil Salvador: Thirty years ago, publishers treated their games more like toys. They weren’t thinking about long-term concerns, like holding onto source code, or working out rights issues to make sure games could be sold in the future. Going back to fix this is difficult and expensive, or even impossible. It’s honestly not something we expect to happen in most cases! But as the medium of video games continues to grow, we have a chance to teach tomorrow’s developers about best practices they can follow to help preserve their own work and make sure it’s not caught in limbo.

If CDPR gives me an offline installer for every single "Reward", I will thank them and then shut up.
Attachments:
Post edited October 01, 2023 by SargonAelther
Zimerius: Somewhere it begins to feel that saying DRM is bad is almost similar to saying your national policeforce is bad.....

SargonAelther: I'm not sure if you're being serious or humorous, but I would not compare DRM to a national police force. When a book store that sold me a book goes out of business, the national police force does not break into my house to confiscate said book from me.

Like I said in my previous comment, the reason why I and some others are so against the use of DRM for "My Rewards" is because we want that content to be available forever, regardless of what happens to GOG Galaxy's authentication or to GOG themselves 20 years from now. We've already seen the long-term consequences of "Rewards" that require online authentication. Ubisoft gave us a pretty good idea.

Game needs to be prepared for preservation today, while the developers are still working on it, not 20 years from now when it's too late and nobody wants to dedicate any resources to preserve it. That's literally what Phil Salvador told them in their interview too:
Phil Salvador: Thirty years ago, publishers treated their games more like toys. They weren’t thinking about long-term concerns, like holding onto source code, or working out rights issues to make sure games could be sold in the future. Going back to fix this is difficult and expensive, or even impossible. It’s honestly not something we expect to happen in most cases! But as the medium of video games continues to grow, we have a chance to teach tomorrow’s developers about best practices they can follow to help preserve their own work and make sure it’s not caught in limbo.

If CDPR gives me an offline installer for every single "Reward", I will thank them and then shut up.
I am pretty confident that the future regarding internet, gaming and property will sort its self out, though probably not in a way that would satisfy the current nay sayers against DRM
SargonAelther: I'm not sure if you're being serious or humorous, but I would not compare DRM to a national police force. When a book store that sold me a book goes out of business, the national police force does not break into my house to confiscate said book from me.

Zimerius: I am pretty confident that the future regarding internet, gaming and property will sort its self out, though probably not in a way that would satisfy the current nay sayers against DRM
I never thought i'd see DRM advocates outside of corporate meetings and shill forums
Zimerius: I am pretty confident that the future regarding internet, gaming and property will sort its self out, though probably not in a way that would satisfy the current nay sayers against DRM
Knightspace: I never thought i'd see DRM advocates outside of corporate meetings and shill forums
I have, I have seen people defend Digital Rights Management (DRM) quite a bit on Steam.
Knightspace: I never thought i'd see DRM advocates outside of corporate meetings and shill forums
Johnathanamz: I have, I have seen people defend Digital Rights Management (DRM) quite a bit on Steam.
I know, that's why i included the latter group :p
Johnathanamz: I have, I have seen people defend Digital Rights Management (DRM) quite a bit on Steam.
Knightspace: I know, that's why i included the latter group :p
most sane people tend to keep out of these sorts discussions, thats all there is to it.
Knightspace: I know, that's why i included the latter group :p
Zimerius: most sane people tend to keep out of these sorts discussions, thats all there is to it.
you necro'd this... WHY?!
Zimerius: most sane people tend to keep out of these sorts discussions, thats all there is to it.
Sachys: you necro'd this... WHY?!
Whawhahwhawhahwhahwhahahggggggg
Do we have a complete list of all non-drm-free skins and items so far and the console commands to get them?
I've seen an older one, but it seems to miss the newer ones.
I’ve had similar experiences trading CS skins. The vibrant ORANGE PEEL skins, for example, add a unique twist to your arsenal with their bold, spray-paint style finish.

If you’re into customizing your game look, these skins offer a great way to showcase your style, just like the new Cyberpunk drops could have. And for anyone interested in trading skins, you might want to check out the FAMAS Sundown here: https://skinsmonkey.com/trade/famas-sundown.
Post edited June 28, 2024 by Kvasio