It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Themken: Still totally buggy and now this; I have read enough not to want the game at all. Interdimensional Games... Written down on list of producers to avoid.
The game is made in Source, which is Steam's engine so some Steam artifacts such as the text file mentioned in the OP are to be expected.

We've updated the game to version 1.25 and before we released the updated version we've verified that Steam is not required at all in order to play the game.
Post edited January 20, 2016 by JudasIscariot
JudasIscariot: The game is made in Source, which is Steam's engine so some Steam artifacts such as the text file mentioned in the OP are to be expected.

We've updated the game to version 1.25 and before we released the updated version we've verified that Steam is not required at all in order to play the game.
korell: But the text file in question is INSIDE the folder that was previously the game executable, suggesting that there is an issue here as the executable shouldn't just unpack itself so that it cannot be run again. I think I'll wait to see if a fix is released for this before I give the game a try.
Uninstall the game, reinstall it.

Before playing the GOG version, exit Steam completely. The reason that executable is getting turned into a folder is because if you have Steam running in the background, the game sees it, and since you more than likely have the Steam version from the free giveaway, the steam_api file latches onto Steam, the game gets synced with the Steam version and that's why your executable file gets turned into a folder.

So short version:

The GOG version will run fine without Steam in background or even installed. So play either the Steam version OR the GOG version without Steam installed/running in the background.