It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Edward_Carnby: This is unexpectedly .

0_o

After which step game starting to ask for CD ?
Leikner: I input the file then added -WINCURSOR to the end of the file path under 'Properties', removed Compatibility mode and started the program, then came the CD prompt. :S
It's strange ...

I can't reproduce it .

Try to uninstall game completely , than install it again in different folder ( yes , it sound stupid , but it's maybe important ) .

After reinstall just copy file & don't do anything else .

Tell me about result .
Edward_Carnby: This is unexpectedly .

0_o

After which step game starting to ask for CD ?
Leikner: I input the file then added -WINCURSOR to the end of the file path under 'Properties', removed Compatibility mode and started the program, then came the CD prompt. :S
Strange, i tried it and the game works normally, no CD request. Altough it did not solve the rather sluggish behaviour of the game (especially mouse and terrible scrolling speed).
This is now working fine, thank you.
Leikner: This is now working fine, thank you.
HA !

I win ! =)

You're welcome .
wassermann: Altough it did not solve the rather sluggish behaviour of the game (especially mouse and terrible scrolling speed).
This game is kinda laggy . I don't think you can do something with it .

I got luggy scrolling all the way back to 1998 on my p166 with 16 bit ram & win 98 .
Post edited July 16, 2015 by Edward_Carnby
Actually I can, altough it is a bit of a "cheating":). I have another win xp machine, works flawlessly on that. But the original game did as well. Until I got aproximately to half of the campaign when one mission just kept crashing. Hopefully the gog version will work. I started the game so many times...but finished only once, on a similar machine as was yours with Win 98. (well, it was AMD Ksomething, insanely "jumper" overclocked:)
Leikner: This is now working fine, thank you.
Edward_Carnby: HA !

I win ! =)

You're welcome .
No no no no, I win, I get to play the game ;)
I am using Windows 8.1 64 bit

Game doesn't crash if it's NOT installed in the program(x86) folder, instead you get a "sluggish" mouse behaviour.
Tried with -WinCursor but no result.

If the game is installed in the program(x86) it crash but the mouse works fine
Mine doesn't work. Can't get passed the "Enter Combat" click after I configure squads. Tried all the little solutions in the thread. Nothing works.
I expected better from GOG honestly. I mean games that don't work? What is this, Steam?!
I´ve got another problem.

I can start the game, select my squad and then start the mission, but I can`t give any command.

When a Marine is selected I can tell him to shoot a cultist or move to a location. But he just turns in the right direction and thats it. Every marine that is selected afterwards also ignors commands.

The game doesn`t crash and it is still possible to scroll, change camera heights etc.

Someone else with the same problem?
I do a run through of my old disc version of Chaos Gate every now and then, but even after fixing/working around some of the old issues like the Chaos Cultists, I'd still run into crippling problems later into the campaign. There were issues when Chaos Terminators and certain daemon summons started showing up that would invariably crash the game, and I could never find a satisfactory workaround.

Has the GoG version resolved the stability issues later in the campaign?
The game worked straight away for me, no fiddling around. I have Win 7 64-bit, i7 4790k and 2x Nvidia GTX 980.
The emperor protects. You can fix the chaos cultist bug with minimal effort. Here a link to the workaround.

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?217246-Chaos-Gate-Cultist-bug-solved

This workaround was provided by Dedas of the relic forums. All copyright belongs to him/her.

*** SOLUTION TO THE CULTIST BUG ***

After examining the WeapDef.dat file under the Data folder I've found out how to solve the infamous cultist bug.

YOU NEED TO START A NEW GAME FOR THE CHANGES TO TAKE EFFECT

(or it may be enough to save again, but I haven't tested)

1. Open WeapDef.dat in the Data folder under the Chaos Gate folder.

2. Find the section containing the Laspistol.

3. Change "PlazPistHit.wav" to "PlazpistHit.wav" (note the lower case 'p').

4. Save.

5. Start a new game.

Enjoy your cultists without CTD.

This workaround was provided by Dedas of the relic forums. I apologize if copy cating this was not an appropriate action.

Have a nice crusade.
The cultist bug is not the only one, and some compatibility issues were added between patch 1.1 and 1.2.

BCGaius: There were issues when Chaos Terminators and certain daemon summons started showing up that would invariably crash the game, and I could never find a satisfactory workaround.
IIRC there was something about it and patch 1.2 - I don't remember exactly if it was supposed to fix that, or it caused it.
Edward_Carnby: If you have original CD - I can tell you how to run game on modern PC without crash on chaos cultist turn .
There is one catch-all solution, but it also requires you to own a Windows 98 setup disc.
Set up a virtual machine - such as Microsoft Virtual PC, or VMWare. Install Windows 98 in it. Install Chaos Gate in it. Done.

wassermann: I have another win xp machine, works flawlessly on that. But the original game did as well.
You're lucky, then. The game has been known to have crippling issues from Windows 2000 onwards.
Post edited July 17, 2015 by thefifthhorseman.229
Thanks for the replies everyone! Will make a purchase over the weekend and see if I can get this to run.

Hot Xeno-damns, am I looking forward to playing Chaos Gate again.
On my machine it works perfectly. No Glitches, no errors, no crashes.