It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I tried everything but ever since I started the tufo contract I keep crashing over and over.
Well as per recent posts I have just started having a constant freeze playing HoS. I am also a player coming back to the game after a few months to play the DLC

Firstly I have hundreds of hours of play and rarely a crash. I have OC'd GPU but for every game I set it back to base and have rarely had a problem with TW3. Yesterday I played 6hrs straight without an issue with the game fully optimised by GEforce Experience and with 9 mods running. Not one single crash.

Today I can't get the game to play for more that 5 minutes before it freezes and I have to hard reboot.

No warnings or errors, screen just freezes and yes can hear audio etc continuing but cannot ALT TAB, CTR ALT DEL ALT F4 only solution is to hard reboot.

I thought maybe it was to do with me being at the wedding scene as there were issues online about this but that was an old bug and when I loaded an earlier save much earlier in the DLC it still crashed within 5 minutes.

I have tried so may suggested fixes from this site and from others and none of them make any difference. I have verified files and done a clean reinstall, I have changed post processing settings, uninstalled mods etc......

Just doesn't make any sense why A game would work perfectly fine one day and not the next with absolutely no changes made to my PC between today and yesterday.

Drivers are up to date and have not changed in weeks:

Nvidia GTX770 2GB OC
Driver 368.81
Post edited August 08, 2016 by elldaz
Just to be sure I played 2 other games, The Division and Dragon Age Inquisition with no problems for over an hour in total.
elldaz: Just to be sure I played 2 other games, The Division and Dragon Age Inquisition with no problems for over an hour in total.
Hey bro, have you found a solution yet? I have the same problem. Read somewhere that maybe if you turn of the nvidia hairworks or lower the grass settings it may help. I'm going to try that now.

(I tried it. Didn't work, bro)
Post edited August 15, 2016 by Toprock
elldaz: Just to be sure I played 2 other games, The Division and Dragon Age Inquisition with no problems for over an hour in total.
Toprock: Hey bro, have you found a solution yet? I have the same problem. Read somewhere that maybe if you turn of the nvidia hairworks or lower the grass settings it may help. I'm going to try that now.

Hey Toprock, sorry just saw your reply. I did get it running I can't remember a specific thing I did but I ended up uninstalling the game, going to the folder locations and making sure that no files were still there (and there were some), deleting those, emptying the recycle bin and restarting my PC. Reinstalled the game and checked the game was set to run as administrator. Then verified the games files which caused it to do an update and the game was then fine. I am not totally convinced that there wasn't an issue with the games servers and that my third uninstall etc just happened to coincide with something changing in the background at CDPR.

Hope this helps or that you already got it sorted.
Post edited August 18, 2016 by elldaz
Happened to me as well, system restart after/during patch 1.24.
First one only to desktop (Galaxy Client), later system reboot.

Attempt 1: Check Windows Log, no entry except unexpected shutdown

Att. 2: Check hardware: perform system stability test (temperatures and voltages, etc.), check RAM and VRAM, test PSU separatly, all tests passed, no errors.

Att. 3: Uninstall all mods, load unmodded backup save

Att. 4: Try different VGA drivers (GTX 980 ti Win 7 pro) using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller, use in OS save mode).

Att. 5: Try various game graphics and nVidia settings
System still reboots after min. 5m, max. 25m. Log GPU-Z and run Fraps.

Att.: 6 Start game offline, taadaa!! One h, no reboot/crash. Graphics settings depend on corresponding hardware.

Note: Could figure out: received fake mail "PayPal" when first crash occurred.

Sry, english is not my native language.

Edit:
Att 0.: Run virus scan => ok.

And thank you CDPR for the best add on and game i ever played (BAW).
Post edited August 18, 2016 by Anthek22
Toprock: Hey bro, have you found a solution yet? I have the same problem. Read somewhere that maybe if you turn of the nvidia hairworks or lower the grass settings it may help. I'm going to try that now.

elldaz: Hey Toprock, sorry just saw your reply. I did get it running I can't remember a specific thing I did but I ended up uninstalling the game, going to the folder locations and making sure that no files were still there (and there were some), deleting those, emptying the recycle bin and restarting my PC. Reinstalled the game and checked the game was set to run as administrator. Then verified the games files which caused it to do an update and the game was then fine. I am not totally convinced that there wasn't an issue with the games servers and that my third uninstall etc just happened to coincide with something changing in the background at CDPR.

No problem, bro! I haven't uninstalled it yet, so maybe I could try that, too. And running as administrator is also a great suggestion.

Okay, I'm going to try the following things:
-re-installing the game (and make sure that it's clean)
-run as administrator
-files verifications

Thank you for your reply and have a nice day, bro!
We can not move forward in the The Witcher 3 Heart of Stone - in the section where Geralt recovers memories in the picture and follow Mrs. Mr. into the study - the monster pops out and the door is opened - please save the part where Mr. Geralt in studovni.Prosim Send j.hrasko@seznam.cz
elldaz: Hey Toprock, sorry just saw your reply. I did get it running I can't remember a specific thing I did but I ended up uninstalling the game, going to the folder locations and making sure that no files were still there (and there were some), deleting those, emptying the recycle bin and restarting my PC. Reinstalled the game and checked the game was set to run as administrator. Then verified the games files which caused it to do an update and the game was then fine. I am not totally convinced that there wasn't an issue with the games servers and that my third uninstall etc just happened to coincide with something changing in the background at CDPR.

Toprock: No problem, bro! I haven't uninstalled it yet, so maybe I could try that, too. And running as administrator is also a great suggestion.

-run as administrator
-files verifications

Just remembered something else as well:

1) Right click your GOG desktop icon and under advanced make sure that is set to run as administrator
2) Right click the GOG desktop icon and look at the security settings and make sure that all the users (System, Your User Name, Administrator and Interactive) all have fill Control ticked. If not edit them to be full control.

I also make sure the Witcher 3 exe security settings are also all set to full control. For me it's located at: C:\GOG Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\x64

I think the game and or windows change the settings after an update. This also happens for me when Nvidia do an update of drivers as well.

Best of luck.

Cheers
Toprock: No problem, bro! I haven't uninstalled it yet, so maybe I could try that, too. And running as administrator is also a great suggestion.

-run as administrator
-files verifications

elldaz: Just remembered something else as well:

1) Right click your GOG desktop icon and under advanced make sure that is set to run as administrator
2) Right click the GOG desktop icon and look at the security settings and make sure that all the users (System, Your User Name, Administrator and Interactive) all have fill Control ticked. If not edit them to be full control.

I also make sure the Witcher 3 exe security settings are also all set to full control. For me it's located at: C:\GOG Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\x64

I think the game and or windows change the settings after an update. This also happens for me when Nvidia do an update of drivers as well.

Best of luck.

Cheers
Got it working! I already tried it before but I thought maybe I should try rolling it back to an older driver, one last time...
Finally found the right driver. Currently using 355.98 for my gtx 970.

Thank you again for your help and time!
Post edited August 20, 2016 by Toprock

Best of luck.

Cheers
Toprock: Got it working! I already tried it before but I thought maybe I should try rolling it back to an older driver, one last time...

No worries, enjoy!!!

Best of luck.

Cheers
Toprock: Got it working! I already tried it before but I thought maybe I should try rolling it back to an older driver, one last time...

After trying all the above mentioned approached and having crashed continuously. I have then tried to install the driver version for GTX 970 you have mentioned. ~10 days with only one crash, which did not relate to a crash as such. Was a loading hang.

So, my good comrade in games. I thank you. Really. Peace be upon you :D

Ludakriss: After trying all the above mentioned approached and having crashed continuously. I have then tried to install the driver version for GTX 970 you have mentioned. ~10 days with only one crash, which did not relate to a crash as such. Was a loading hang.

So, my good comrade in games. I thank you. Really. Peace be upon you :D
No problem, bro! :)
I just buy TW3 and i have this crashes to desktop.

I try all the solutions that mentioned in this post and still not working... im desperate.

¿ Any new idea to this problem ?

Thanks
Edit (2016-11-20): figured out a solution/workaround for me:

I've discovered it is a hardware issue (not a bug) after all due to cooling I think, although the sensors indicated an acceptable temperature range.

The error EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (3221225477) is a generic Windows exception which can also happen due to hardware issues.

The solution/workaround for me was to setup a custom game profile for The Witcher 3 specificly:
I set a more active/aggresive fan profile and a static GPU clock (1275mhz) and power limit -15%. The game still runs smooth on high settings for me.

Yesterday I played almost 10 hours continously and had much fun and did not have any crash! :)

Game version:
- 1.31, GOTY.

Game settings:
- Vsync on (60hz monitor).
- Fullscreen
- Hardware cursor on
- All settings high
- Post processing everything to on except Vignetting.

Disabled game .dlls:
- Renamed galaxy.dll, xinput1_3.dll and APEX_ClothingGPU_x64.dll from bin folder.

Graphics card (MSI RX480 4GB):
- GPU clock: 1275mhz (lower than max).
- Fan profile:
- Min RPM: 1480rpm
- Target RPM: 2900rpm (max).
- Temperature:
- Max: 80C
- Target: 55C
- Power limit: -15%
- Compatibility mode: on
- Drivers: Crimson 16.11.3

I hope this helps someone.

Original problem below for context:

Hey guys,

I really enjoy the game, but unfortunately I also have crashes to desktop. I submitted a bugreport to CD Projekt, but have not had a response yet.

When the game crashes it sometimes refuses to start again. When I repair using GoG Galaxy it works (until the next crash).

System specs:
CPU: i5 750 2.6ghz stock (old I know, but still works surprisingly well).
RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR3.
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 480 Graphics 4GB, latest drivers: Crimson 16.11.1 at time of writing.
HDD: Crucial M550 SSD (256GB).
PSU: Cooler Master Real Power M620 (620W, 700W peak).
MOBO: Gigabyte P55A-UD4, Intel P55 (IbexPeak), 1x PCI Express 16x v2.0.

The game runs very smooth (60fps) on high-ultra settings. But the crashes to desktop are very annoying and immersion-breaking.
I don't have any crashes with other games (Doom, Furmark, Unigine).

Things I tried:
- Changed Radeon settings: set powerlimit to -25% in Wattman, compatibility On.
- Ran memtest86 a few passes, no errors.
- Ran benchmarks and monitored components: they are cool.
- Reinstalled drivers using DDU and AMD Cleanup utility.
- Lowered graphic settings.
Edit (2016-11-06):
- Reinstalled Visual C++ runtime, no difference.
- Updated to Crimson 16.11.2, no difference.
- Renamed galaxy.dll, xinput1_3.dll and APEX_ClothingGPU_x64.dll from bin folder no difference.
- Hardware cursor from off to on.

No difference in crashes.

Things I haven't tried:
- I prefer not to downgrade my drivers or install the Windows SDK "WARP" workaround.

Crash log is always an error similar to this:

Crash reason: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (3221225477), Error reading location 0xffffffff

Crashed Thread:

Thread ID: 2016

callstack:
RtlDeleteCriticalSection() + 0x7c - <Unknown File>(0)
D3DKMTCloseAdapter() + 0x18122 - <Unknown File>(0)
D3DKMTCloseAdapter() + 0xa2c2 - <Unknown File>(0)
D3DKMTCloseAdapter() + 0xfdb8 - <Unknown File>(0)
D3DKMTCloseAdapter() + 0xdb64 - <Unknown File>(0)
D3DKMTCloseAdapter() + 0x2c5ac - <Unknown File>(0)
D3DKMTCloseAdapter() + 0x2b278 - <Unknown File>(0)
D3DKMTCloseAdapter() + 0x2b7c8 - <Unknown File>(0)
D3DKMTCloseAdapter() + 0xdb64 - <Unknown File>(0)
D3DKMTCloseAdapter() + 0x377b0 - <Unknown File>(0)
D3DKMTCloseAdapter() + 0x373b1 - <Unknown File>(0)
D3DKMTCloseAdapter() + 0x3703a - <Unknown File>(0)
D3DKMTCloseAdapter() + 0x1abb - <Unknown File>(0)
D3DKMTCloseAdapter() + 0x184eb - <Unknown File>(0)
D3DKMTCloseAdapter() + 0xeb5dc - <Unknown File>(0)
Scaleform::Render::Matrix4x4<float>::SetIdentity() + 0xd188 - <Unknown File>(0)
Scaleform::Render::Matrix2x4<float>::Prepend() + 0x907e5 - <Unknown File>(0)
Scaleform::Render::Matrix4x4<float>::SetIdentity() + 0xbf688c - <Unknown File>(0)
Scaleform::Render::Matrix4x4<float>::SetIdentity() + 0xbf57d2 - <Unknown File>(0)
Scaleform::Render::Matrix4x4<float>::SetIdentity() + 0xc1dea8 - <Unknown File>(0)
Scaleform::Render::Matrix4x4<float>::SetIdentity() + 0xc1b319 - <Unknown File>(0)
Scaleform::Render::Matrix4x4<float>::SetIdentity() + 0xbc46a5 - <Unknown File>(0)
Scaleform::Render::Matrix2x4<float>::Prepend() + 0x27d72 - <Unknown File>(0)
Scaleform::Render::Matrix2x4<float>::Prepend() + 0x27ad2 - <Unknown File>(0)
Scaleform::Render::Matrix4x4<float>::SetIdentity() + 0xba45a0 - <Unknown File>(0)
Scaleform::Render::Matrix2x4<float>::Prepend() + 0x2464b7 - <Unknown File>(0)
Scaleform::Render::Matrix2x4<float>::Prepend() + 0x24665e - <Unknown File>(0)
BaseThreadInitThunk() + 0xd - <Unknown File>(0)
RtlUserThreadStart() + 0x21 - <Unknown File>(0)

... snip snip...

Game

Last opened world: novigrad.w2w

================================================================

Game

Last opened world: novigrad.w2w

================================================================
Post edited November 20, 2016 by evilbob127