It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The latest patch fails to remove some old files which aren't present in STEAM or GALAXY installs.

Using the latest 2.0.0.45 installers with main game still being 2.0.0.40 (v1.10).

New install of the game.

STEAM and GALAXY get updated straight to v1.22 so they aren't affected by this issue.

The error results in some strange/incorrect text appearing in the General Skills menu:
http://imgur.com/2j9oNzG

Removing the outdated **.w3strings files from: (there's files for each language)

The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\content\patch0

Solves the issue:
http://imgur.com/4PRndcW

This error was also in the v1.21 update.

As of v1.22 the only files that should be present in the patch0 folder are:

sounds.cache
**pc.w3speech (files for each language i.e enpc.w3speech, depc.w3speech, etc)

There's newer versions of these files in patch1

Hence there seems to be a discrepancy in the game files between each platform.

### Support Ticket 5ZSD0F66 already made
### Response from CDRP http://i.imgur.com/qeam1UD.jpg
### Fix incoming?
Post edited June 23, 2016 by mwnn
mwnn: Apparently as of v1.22 the only files that should be present in the patch0 folder are:

sounds.cache
**pc.w3speech (files for each language i.e enpc.w3speech, depc.w3speech, etc)
Source?
Hickory: Source?
People who use STEAM / GALAXY naturally.

http://www.quicksfv.org/download.html

Linked two SFV files that can be used to check file hashes / crc:

http://www.filedropper.com/w3steamv122 STEAM v1.22 with DLC
http://www.filedropper.com/witcher3v122withdlcgog GOG installer v1.22 with DLC

They can opened with Notepad - it's just a list of files.
Hickory: Source?
mwnn: People who use STEAM / GALAXY naturally.
That's not an official source, and means nothing to me. If I'm going to manually discard files I want to know that it's not going to bite me later on. Using a comparison of strangers' installations as 'source' is fraught with pitfalls. I'll pass.
Additionally the mutagen icons are broken with GoG installers:

Removing every file from patch0:

The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\content\patch0

With the exception of sounds.cache & enpc.w3speech fixes the mutagen icons.

texture.cache is the file at fault.

Galaxy also removes an additional file:

content\content4\streaming.cache

Presumably this file is no longer needed either? It's present on both GoG installers & STEAM installs.

The easiest way to confirm what I've wrote is to add/link your game install into the GALAXY client and verify all files.
Attachments:
old_icons.jpg (218 Kb)
new_icons.jpg (214 Kb)
Post edited June 16, 2016 by mwnn
mwnn: People who use STEAM / GALAXY naturally.
Hickory: That's not an official source, and means nothing to me. If I'm going to manually discard files I want to know that it's not going to bite me later on. Using a comparison of strangers' installations as 'source' is fraught with pitfalls. I'll pass.
You as an owner of Witcher 3 on GOG can install the game either via GOG Galaxy or GOG installers. If you compare files of both installs, you will see some of them are different or present/not present. That should be enough as source to ask questions and it has been confirmed by many users, that removing some files (not present on GOG Galaxy or Steam) GOG installers left, fixes broken mutagen/skill descriptions (since 1.21) and mutagen icons (since 1.22).

The only mystery remains is whether the file
is needed or not, because it is present on Steam and with GOG installers, but not present with GOG Galaxy (wasn't present in 1.21 either).
TK_GvR: The only mystery remains is whether the file
is needed or not, because it is present on Steam and with GOG installers, but not present with GOG Galaxy (wasn't present in 1.21 either).
Quite. That file is just over 6GB !

One has to wonder if we're downloading it without any purpose.

It seems to be the only steaming.cache file located in all of the content folders/subfolders.
The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\content\content4 (Patch 1.07?)

There is another steaming.cache file in:

The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\DLC\bob\content (Blood and Wine) (1.48GB)

Very strange.

Either the first file should be included with GALAXY or shouldn't be in STEAM and GoG installers.
Hickory: That's not an official source, and means nothing to me. If I'm going to manually discard files I want to know that it's not going to bite me later on. Using a comparison of strangers' installations as 'source' is fraught with pitfalls. I'll pass.
TK_GvR: You as an owner of Witcher 3 on GOG can install the game either via GOG Galaxy or GOG installers. If you compare files of both installs,
Why the feck would I do somethings as stupid as that?
TK_GvR: You as an owner of Witcher 3 on GOG can install the game either via GOG Galaxy or GOG installers. If you compare files of both installs,
Hickory: Why the feck would I do somethings as stupid as that?
OK, you seem to be some kind of less creative and a discussion with you is pretty hard, but maybe I can explain, so you will understand and keep in mind its not about you.

1. Two users A and B (friends etc.) bought the game on GOG.
2. A installs the Galaxy version, B the GOG installers
3. B tells A having a bug with skills and new mutagen icons are not present
4. A says he is not having those bugs
5. Both decide to compare their installation files (yes, people do that to debug issues)
6. The result: user A has files user B has not and vice versa
7. Now they start debugging and find differences (trial and error)
8. B removes some files not present on As install
9: Result: skill/mutagen issue are fixed
10. Now uses are asking GOG team and CDPR why some files are different and why some files are present on one install and some are not and vice versa.

All this should be acceptable for you without questioning "why would anyone do this", because it was already done and proven files are different. The source are the GOG files anyone who bought the game can compare.
No offense, but if you still do not understand, then you probably should not take part in a further discussion about that matter.
Hickory: Why the feck would I do somethings as stupid as that?
TK_GvR: OK, you seem to be some kind of less creative and a discussion with you is pretty hard, but maybe I can explain, so you will understand and keep in mind its not about you.

1. Two users A and B (friends etc.) bought the game on GOG.
2. A installs the Galaxy version, B the GOG installers
3. B tells A having a bug with skills and new mutagen icons are not present
4. A says he is not having those bugs
5. Both decide to compare their installation files (yes, people do that to debug issues)
6. The result: user A has files user B has not and vice versa
7. Now they start debugging and find differences (trial and error)
8. B removes some files not present on As install
9: Result: skill/mutagen issue are fixed
10. Now uses are asking GOG team and CDPR why some files are different and why some files are present on one install and some are not and vice versa.

All this should be acceptable for you without questioning "why would anyone do this", because it was already done and proven files are different. The source are the GOG files anyone who bought the game can compare.
No offense, but if you still do not understand, then you probably should not take part in a further discussion about that matter.
Your suggestion precludes me "as an owner". Your words. You are taking a hypothetical situation and applying it to all and sundry. You are making no sense.
Hickory: Your suggestion precludes me "as an owner". Your words. You are taking a hypothetical situation and applying it to all and sundry. You are making no sense.
You are not even owning Witcher 3? Why are you even posting in this thread? Thats what does not make any sense.
Hickory: Your suggestion precludes me "as an owner". Your words. You are taking a hypothetical situation and applying it to all and sundry. You are making no sense.
TK_GvR: You are not even owning Witcher 3? Why are you even posting in this thread? Thats what does not make any sense.
What on earth are you talking about? Of course I own Witcher 3. Your posts get weirder and weirder.
@Hickory - what is the point of that discussion of yours? If you do not want to help, then gtfo and dont upset everybody with your useless posts. People has problems, they giving proofs that files are different, yet you still come up with some crappy arguments.
knur004: @Hickory - what is the point of that discussion of yours? If you do not want to help, then gtfo and dont upset everybody with your useless posts. People has problems, they giving proofs that files are different, yet you still come up with some crappy arguments.
I made a completely valid point, unlike your unwarranted interjection. Busy body.
Post edited June 16, 2016 by Hickory

I made a completely valid point, unlike your unwarranted interjection. Busy body.
This thread seems to be going rather off-track.

I don't think I've ever come across a post before where someone adamantly wanted a game to remain broken!

If it's a fight you want as I suspect Hickory...

...you could always hop on a train to Lille and take on some Russians ;)

It sounds like they need reinforcement over there! =D