It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi All,

Is there a way to adjust the deadzone of an x360 controller in '98 Tie Fighter? Currently if I move the stick 1mm the ship instantly starts to move around which is very annoying especially because the x360 controller is not the most precise piece of equipment...
I've tried x360ce, but it didn't make any difference.

Cheers,
Emperor
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
EmperorDei: Hi All,

Is there a way to adjust the deadzone of an x360 controller in '98 Tie Fighter? Currently if I move the stick 1mm the ship instantly starts to move around which is very annoying especially because the x360 controller is not the most precise piece of equipment...

Cheers,
Emperor
The XBCD driver allows deadzone customisation, IIRC. A quick search suggests it may be a little tricky to install, as it hasn't been updated in a while (latest is 0.2.7, I think) but it's probably worth a try.
EmperorDei: Hi All,

Cheers,
Emperor
GirthSnail: The XBCD driver allows deadzone customisation, IIRC. A quick search suggests it may be a little tricky to install, as it hasn't been updated in a while (latest is 0.2.7, I think) but it's probably worth a try.
You might try UJR-- it has deadzone settings that you can manually set. it's free, but takes a little twerking... er, tweaking to get it configured. http://evilc.com/joomla/articles/9-code/autohotkey/1-ujr-universal-joystick-remapper
Thanks for the suggestions:)

I've tried Vjoy+Ujr, but it's not possible to select the axis in Tie Fighter's joystick setup, so I can't bind it to the virtual joystick's axis. I might try XBCD, but it sounds very complicated in Windows8 :P

Are you guys using a proper joystick? Is this issue x360 controller specific?
having the issue, make the game basically unplayable, but other than that works fine.
Yeah, that is why I bought a joystick for flight sims. The controllers are good, but too finicky for accurate flight controls.
I would REALLY like to get my 360 pad deadzone issue sorted. None of the posted solutions so far have worked for me so far...
I have a Xbox360 controller Cyborg Rumble Pad. Deadzones adjustment is sported by the driver.
Slim chances, but try to download the driver from saitek (saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php) and see if you can force install them for your controller.

See my attachment for how it should look if everything is ok

The setting is found in Control Panel -> Devices and Printers -> Right click on the controller and select "Game controller settings" -> Afterwards click "properties" in the newly opened window
Attachments:
capture.png (29 Kb)
Post edited October 30, 2014 by Pvt_Bloody
Pvt_Bloody: I have a Xbox360 controller Cyborg Rumble Pad. Deadzones adjustment is sported by the driver.
Slim chances, but try to download the driver from saitek (saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php) and see if you can force install them for your controller.

See my attachment for how it should look if everything is ok

The setting is found in Control Panel -> Devices and Printers -> Right click on the controller and select "Game controller settings" -> Afterwards click "properties" in the newly opened window
Is it easy to uninstall this driver?

The last time I tried to adjust my 360 controller deadzone, I screwed up the 360 driver in windows and I had to reinstall...
I know the OP was regarding the Windows 1998 version, but if using a 360 pad with the 1994 DOS version, I can recommend replacing the dosbox exe with an alternate custom build. (I cannot attach the link myself, since this is my first post, but google "dosbox joystick deadzone" and choose the "Custom Dosbox | David Walters Development" link.)

This build includes a joystick deadzone parameter that can be placed in the dosbox.conf file. I installed this by replacing the included dosbox.exe in the Tie 94 install with the new version, and then added the deadzone parameter manually into the dosbox.conf file.

My 360 pad has a very sensitive left thumbstick, so I've set my deadzone value to 15, and it works much better - I don't get any drifting after sharp turns, but you can adjust this as YMMV.
scotsdezmond: I know the OP was regarding the Windows 1998 version, but if using a 360 pad with the 1994 DOS version, I can recommend replacing the dosbox exe with an alternate custom build. (I cannot attach the link myself, since this is my first post, but google "dosbox joystick deadzone" and choose the "Custom Dosbox | David Walters Development" link.)

This build includes a joystick deadzone parameter that can be placed in the dosbox.conf file. I installed this by replacing the included dosbox.exe in the Tie 94 install with the new version, and then added the deadzone parameter manually into the dosbox.conf file.

My 360 pad has a very sensitive left thumbstick, so I've set my deadzone value to 15, and it works much better - I don't get any drifting after sharp turns, but you can adjust this as YMMV.
Good info, but I really can't go back to 320x200.
scotsdezmond: I know the OP was regarding the Windows 1998 version, but if using a 360 pad with the 1994 DOS version, I can recommend replacing the dosbox exe with an alternate custom build. (I cannot attach the link myself, since this is my first post, but google "dosbox joystick deadzone" and choose the "Custom Dosbox | David Walters Development" link.)

flyinj: Good info, but I really can't go back to 320x200.
I know the feeling. I also have my original '95 Collectors CD set up this way in dosbox too, although I use it less frequently since it's a pain to put the CD in every time.

Another suggestion might be to try the Joy2Key setup by SavingContent, download the Tie95-win7.zip from this page: http://www.savingcontent.com/2014/08/09/guide-play-x-wing-tie-fighter-series-on-windows-7-windows-8-windows-8-1-with-an-xbox-xb1-playstation-ps4-controller-flight-stick/5/.

Inside the zip file, there is another zip file called jtk374en.zip, extract this to a new directory and run the exe.

Select the Tie95 profile on the left, and then the 'Others' tab on the right. You can try adjusting the slider for Threshold for input: I've set mine at 20%. Then launch Tie98 via the GoG launcher as normal.

It's certainly playable but a bit twitchy at times. The other benefit of this method is that you can use the controller for navigating the screens inbetween battles, much like the original DOS version. I find it handy since my system is connected to my TV, and gaming from the couch is much easier with a controller.
Post edited October 30, 2014 by scotsdezmond