It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Berzerk2k2: At this point I've given up and bought the Enhanced version on Steam. I'm tired of promises that are nothing else than hot air and waiting forever without any news from anyone.
I dunno, man... I can 100% understand giving up on this, and gog is 100% to blame for giving us some phoney baloney damage control PR bullshit about how "the GOG version of the update is currently being finalised" (LOL). But in the end buying it on Steam means rewarding Bethesda/Night Dive for being lazy assholes who can't be bothered releasing their shit here in a timely manner. It doesn't help that gog's only leverage in this situation would be saying "If you don't update the game, we pull it from the store." To which Beth would probably reply "Ok, cool. Be my guest!"

The main reason I got it on Steam was that a) Indiegala accidentally had a 75% discount when the Enhanced Edition dropped, so I was able to get it for roughly one buck on release dayand b) I'm convinced that Beth/ND won't bother to implement multiplayer for gog - let alone cross-play. But still, that icky feeling remains: I basically gave them money for not updating their shit on gog. That'll teach them!
fronzelneekburm: But in the end buying it on Steam means rewarding Bethesda/Night Dive for being lazy assholes who can't be bothered releasing their shit here in a timely manner.
I would have skipped it if it was any other game than Quake, which is my all time favorite fps.
Berzerk2k2: At this point I've given up and bought the Enhanced version on Steam. I'm tired of promises that are nothing else than hot air and waiting forever without any news from anyone.
fronzelneekburm: I dunno, man... I can 100% understand giving up on this, and gog is 100% to blame for giving us some phoney baloney damage control PR bullshit about how "the GOG version of the update is currently being finalised" (LOL).
Some people have been extremely vocal about anything that remotely resembles DRM appearing on GOG, even if it's just for the multiplayer part of a game. Games have been pulled from GOG purely due to the bad reception from that group. GOG does not want to further upset that part of the customer base if they can avoid it.

Beth seem to be all-in on their launcher, so i consider it highly unlikely that they'll budge on it being part of Q:R for at least a year and there likely won't be any MP with non-GOG players when it does arrive. The GOG team likely hoped they had a chance for a release this year, but Beth and Nightdive can easily afford to not budge on the issue. Every dev I've heard speak on multiple store front sales say that the combined non-Steam numbers are a drop in the ocean compared to the Steam numbers.
CipherTwentyOne: My guess is that Bethesda is working on the GOG versions of Doom 1, 2 and 64 along with Quake. It would make sense to just port all 4 at once. That's why it's been taking a long time.
AmethystViper: Best case scenario, I hope this is case since GOG still hasn't even gotten the Unity ports of Doom I and II or the Kex port of Doom 64 and those newer ports can be DRM-free on Steam and completely DRM-free Bethesda-net's store outside needing a Bethesda account for downloading the free curated mods.
That would actually make some sense.
WingedKagouti: Some people have been extremely vocal about anything that remotely resembles DRM appearing on GOG, even if it's just for the multiplayer part of a game. Games have been pulled from GOG purely due to the bad reception from that group. GOG does not want to further upset that part of the customer base if they can avoid it.

Beth seem to be all-in on their launcher, so i consider it highly unlikely that they'll budge on it being part of Q:R for at least a year and there likely won't be any MP with non-GOG players when it does arrive. The GOG team likely hoped they had a chance for a release this year, but Beth and Nightdive can easily afford to not budge on the issue. Every dev I've heard speak on multiple store front sales say that the combined non-Steam numbers are a drop in the ocean compared to the Steam numbers.
Then what GoG should do is just say "look, guys, we borked this. Have some credit and our apologies for this mess, we will be delisting Quake from our shop." At least we could see that GoG tried to do something to fix this and not just saying nothing.

But this is going to end as every single game in the list of "second class citizens": Abandoned and us eating the loss.

Btw, which games have been pulled by the online play/DRM thing? The only game I know has been pulled from GoG due DRM has been Hitman, most other cases for publisher decision or political (The Devotion mess).
Post edited November 16, 2021 by Neurus_Ex
Neurus_Ex: Then what GoG should do is just say "look, guys, we borked this. Have some credit and our apologies for this mess, we will be delisting Quake from our shop."
Why would you even entertain the idea of removing an old game and deprave customers to even play a game like Quake at all just because it has a remaster that hasn't came out yet on GOG?
AmethystViper: Why would you even entertain the idea of removing an old game and deprave customers to even play a game like Quake at all just because it has a remaster that hasn't came out yet on GOG?
You are assuming that the remaster is eventually coming to GoG. I'm assuming it is not. So, from my point of view (and using as a base my theory that we ain't getting anything), this version has been abandoned by the developer, thus it should be delisted.

And if you want to just stick with the facts, its been three months since they said the version was being "finalised" and we've got no news, no ETA's, nothing; you got Ion Fury's update, which has been delayed here by, apparently, a mistake on the developer's end, but has been some explanations on what was going on. Personally, it pisses me off (it's a "not again" scenario), but at least you got some info of what its going on, so no biggie.

At least a "sorry guys, we borked this" should be in place. But we ain't getting anything, and this speaks volumes of how's GoG treating their customers. (Which is incredibly sad, as all the issues/problems I've had in the past with games I've bought have been solved by the customer service brilliantly).

EDIT: Looking at Ion Fury's board, even a PR person from 3D realms dropped by to let the people know what was going on (maybe I misread it, but it seems is a problem on GoG's side), ironically after someone asked the same as I did: Someone trying to inform of what's going on.
Post edited November 17, 2021 by Neurus_Ex
Neurus_Ex: Btw, which games have been pulled by the online play/DRM thing? The only game I know has been pulled from GoG due DRM has been Hitman, most other cases for publisher decision or political (The Devotion mess).
Beyond the recent Hitman, I know that Gremlins Inc. was pulled after massive backlash over it requiring a login to play (it's an online multiplayer board game with competetive leaderboards).
Truly insane.
Neurus_Ex: Btw, which games have been pulled by the online play/DRM thing? The only game I know has been pulled from GoG due DRM has been Hitman, most other cases for publisher decision or political (The Devotion mess).
WingedKagouti: Beyond the recent Hitman, I know that Gremlins Inc. was pulled after massive backlash over it requiring a login to play (it's an online multiplayer board game with competetive leaderboards).
Wow, didn't knew about that game. Looking at this thread, seems to me that the online connection/drm also affected single player mode:

PLEASE NOTE: An internet connection and GOG Galaxy are required in order to access the multiplayer and single-player modes of Gremlins, Inc.The companion product Gremlins vs Automatons that is included with Gremlins, Inc. does not require any internet connection in order to play.
WingedKagouti: Beyond the recent Hitman, I know that Gremlins Inc. was pulled after massive backlash over it requiring a login to play (it's an online multiplayer board game with competetive leaderboards).
Neurus_Ex: Wow, didn't knew about that game. Looking at this thread, seems to me that the online connection/drm also affected single player mode:

PLEASE NOTE: An internet connection and GOG Galaxy are required in order to access the multiplayer and single-player modes of Gremlins, Inc.The companion product Gremlins vs Automatons that is included with Gremlins, Inc. does not require any internet connection in order to play.
As I understand it, they require an online connection for the single player part of the main game since you can still earn the same type of rewards as in the multiplayer portion (in the Steam version at least). GvA was specifically made for those who wanted to play single player offline, but that was apparently not enough for the "No-DRM Ever" crowd.
WingedKagouti: As I understand it, they require an online connection for the single player part of the main game since you can still earn the same type of rewards as in the multiplayer portion (in the Steam version at least). GvA was specifically made for those who wanted to play single player offline, but that was apparently not enough for the "No-DRM Ever" crowd.
I don't really risk to derail more the thread (Well, given there's not going to be news...) but I think that for many customers here, the point is having the game DRM-Free, and that means being able to play it without having to "call home" for anything.

Multiplayer is something that usually gets a soft pass (No one cares about LAN capabilities anymore), but when you get into the single player being also behind a connection requirement, things get (rightfully) ugly.

IMHO, these cases are completely justified and they shouldn't have been published here in the first place.

Going back to the Enhanced Absent Version, if Bethesda can't or wont work a functional offline version at least for the single player, we should get someone here giving us a heads up and, as I said before, some kind of compensation, because by wanting to support this store, we've not only ended up with the short side of the stick, but also got ghosted by GoG.

And don't get me wrong, I know that no one will give a flying duck about me not purchasing anything from Bethesda again, or re-thinking my stance regarding purchasing games only in GoG, but Donald Duck me if this situation is starting to become annoyingly common for this shop.
Got bored of waiting. Bought on Steam for $4. Got everything.
Neurus_Ex: if Bethesda can't or wont work a functional offline version at least for the single player
To make the continued absence of that (hypothetical) single player Enhanced Edition even more absurd: It's already DRM-free on Steam! All you have to do is follow these simple steps:

- Open your notepad and type in the magic number: 2310
- Now save that txt file as "steam_appid.txt" in the "rerelease"-folder in your Quake directory
- Now, when you launch the Quake_x64_steam.exe outside of the Steam client, the game will cry to you "Mimimi, username not found!!!" (or some other such crap), but it'll launch anyway.
- Tadaaa! You just made your single player version of Quake DRM-free! This is literally all it takes, yet here we are, 3 months later... (naturally, having a working multiplayer mode is another question entirely, but it still remains to be seen whether Night Dive will implement one for the gog version in the first place - let alone one that has working crossplay with the various other platforms)
Neurus_Ex: You are assuming that the remaster is eventually coming to GoG. I'm assuming it is not. So, from my point of view (and using as a base my theory that we ain't getting anything), this version has been abandoned by the developer, thus it should be delisted.
So much butthurt over a remaster... [smfh]