It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

VladanStef: Awesome stuff! With the previously posted INI tweaks, it works great.

However, the camera is a bit too high in 16:9 resolutions (1280x720). Is it possible to move it down a bit? I've dug through some INIs, but failed to find anything relating to camera placement.
Well, you could check the "Cinemascope" option in the loader menu, which will fix the camera being to high. But as earlier noted, the patch is not fully compatible with this, and might crash the game. (The patch is awesome though, thanks!)

However, I play at a 16:9 display, and have 1280x720 installed. I have cinemascope enabled, and so far the game only crashes when I die (but then I have to reload anyway, so no biggie) or at the barracks in Okriana. Just save often, and before entering areas where it crashes, exit the game, uncheck "Cinemascope" through the loader, and play a bit in that area with the higher angled camera. When you're done, just exit the game and turn on cinemascope again.
Works perfectly for me anyways :)

NOTE: I have found that the cinemascope value in The Pentium 550+ 64MB .ini file should however be set to false it it's not already; it seems to run a bit more stable then.
wow i just stumbled over this thread. still have the original outcast CDs laying around but this game gives some headaches on modern system, for exampe music not playing (wich is a shame consideirng the great soundtrack) and other problems. just bought it again from gog, changed the game language to german by copying some data files (cutter is voiced by the german bruce willis voice actor) and installed the resolution patch.

bloody awesome, best regards to _Zenger_ and the gog team. one of the best games of all time.
Is there anything I could change to improve the visibility range or LOD of the voxel landscape?
I already improved the LOD of the models, but the landscape quality levels still popping up too close which looks ugly.

Thanks in advance.
I just made a patch that fixes the crash at the game over screen when using cinemascope.
I made it only for 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions (1280x720+1280x768) since most people have widescreens only these days.
I also added a nice leather effect to the gameover scroll.
Download here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NOGNXMMO

I'm also working on an 1080p patch.
It's working so far but the DOF layers are shifted and the terrain dissappears when looking down to the ground.
I don't know how to fix this.
FPS are slow on my 2.6ghz Conroe, but it works noticable better on an i5 2410m Sandybridge
Post edited August 23, 2011 by nex01
yes, but what about some patch to fix the problem using the 16:9 with the camera. The camera is so near to the player and only a half of it is visible. Will be fine a patch that fix this problem.
Hey, I've been a huge fan of this game since 1999 (pretty much my fav game of all time) and started playing for the first time in years this week using this patch.

Just wanted to say big thanks for it. To be honest I wouldn't have minded playing OC in 512x384 full-screen, but this laptop requires 640x480 or higher and has no "custom resolutions" that I can find (ATI mobility), so the only way I can play it full-screen is using this.

So far it's been pretty good; 800x600 is perfect (AMD + Win7 64-bit). I've had a number of crashes (OC1.exe crashing), but I don't know if they're caused by this patch or not, and only one of them I could reproduce more than once (something with the northern mine in Motazaar). So of course you have to save often. Always wished the game had a quick-save like Half-Life 1.

But anyway, well done.
Post edited September 14, 2011 by Terma4x09
Hello everyone ! A huge thank to Zenger for this patch, i just bought the game on gog to play again and it works fine on my 1080p 32"...

However, does anybody know why i can't edit the .ini files to improve distance view, fog, and all that stuff : i'm on win7 64, running as admin, and i always edit the files on the desk and not in the outcast file, but it doesn't work. Running the game by the oc1 also doesn't work... I read on some topics here that some modifications on the .ini really fits to this patch for a better visual comfort, wich could be good on a wide screen... Anyone having any idea?

Still, this patch is awesome, and after so many years, it's almost as awesome as the game itself ! Just bought my twon-ha today, didn't have the patience to get the stuff to have one for free....

Greetings from france and a big thank to Zenger again, and to the "outcast community" !
If you can't edit the INI files, it's either because the game resets the settings or because you're not running with the right security permissions.

If it's the latter, try clicking Start; type "notepad" in the "Search programs and files" box; when Notepad comes up, right-click on it and choose "Run as administrator"; browse to the file with File->Open from within notepad; edit as needed; save.
Thanks Terma, that does work, indeed.
However I just figured another way out yesterday : putting the .ini files in "read-only" after editing. To be sure I applied your method again, but it seemed the modifications had already been saved with the read-only tick.
The latest patch on a clean installation of Outcast worked beautifully. The game is really playable for me in Windows 7 64bit. Can't wait to put in more time with the game.

Thanks Zenger
nex01: I just made a patch that fixes the crash at the game over screen when using cinemascope.
I made it only for 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions (1280x720+1280x768) since most people have widescreens only these days.
I also added a nice leather effect to the gameover scroll.
Download here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NOGNXMMO

I'm also working on an 1080p patch.
It's working so far but the DOF layers are shifted and the terrain dissappears when looking down to the ground.
I don't know how to fix this.
FPS are slow on my 2.6ghz Conroe, but it works noticable better on an i5 2410m Sandybridge
What kind of performance are you getting with your 2.6GHz Conroe?

Also, if you plan to continue working on this patch even after you're done please make a seperate thread.
Any chances for a 1080p patch?
I want to say

THANK YOU

to _Zenger_

I just purchased Outcast from GOG and the Patch work great. I tried it with my 10 year old 2 CD Version, but it didn´t work. But $ 2.99 isn´t too much to play this great game in a decent resolution :-D
Great Patch!
UNEXPECTED ERROR WHILE CREATING FILE LOADER.EXE
MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN PERMISSION OVER THIS FILE
...it might be because loader.exe is already there. Should I delete it?