It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ok, I want to play this game with a 360 pad. The menus, however, and the in-game tutorial messages give me that stupid button 1, button 6 etc. crap. I thought this game was released for the xbox as well? On youtube I have seen versions of the game with the proper button labellings.

Any way to get the proper labels into the game?
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
EDIT: Sorry the one I was thinking of was for Psychonauts, not Jade Empire.
Post edited June 11, 2013 by Ravenvolf
I am not sure, you'll have to check your settings perhaps in options. I have this game from a while back and just checked it again. I use a 360 wireless pad, and in game it says press X, press left button, Press A, etc.
jonaschl: Ok, I want to play this game with a 360 pad. The menus, however, and the in-game tutorial messages give me that stupid button 1, button 6 etc. crap. I thought this game was released for the xbox as well? On youtube I have seen versions of the game with the proper button labellings.

Any way to get the proper labels into the game?
Yes, it was released for XBOX, not for 360, so it don't have support for the X360 controller.
The game uses Direct Input, not the Xinput that the 360 pad uses.
BrandeX: I am not sure, you'll have to check your settings perhaps in options. I have this game from a while back and just checked it again. I use a 360 wireless pad, and in game it says press X, press left button, Press A, etc.
I looked at the options, there it says button 1,2,3,etc. That's my question, why does this version not have the proper labellings?
I have the very same problem. Also, no button on the pad brings to the menu/journal/etc, I need to use the keyboard to do that.
Post edited June 15, 2013 by essa2009
essa2009: I have the very same problem. Also, no button on the pad brings to the menu/journal/etc, I need to use the keyboard to do that.
Hit start for the menu, then use the L & R triggers to move between the submenus. It's not quite as fast as hitting 'H' for the Henchman screen though.
essa2009: I have the very same problem. Also, no button on the pad brings to the menu/journal/etc, I need to use the keyboard to do that.
Zsrai: Hit start for the menu, then use the L & R triggers to move between the submenus. It's not quite as fast as hitting 'H' for the Henchman screen though.
I tried to do that, but both "start" and "back" just select people or things with which I can interact, making me "bounce" from one target to another (ex: I'm close to two characters, if I hit "start" it puts in evidence one of them to show me I can interact with them, if I push "back" it bounces to the other npc, and so on). The label problems mentioned by the OP is still present, but at least that can be momentarily "fixed" by learning which button does what; of course, a proper fix would be welcome :)

Nonetheless, I have to give props to the GoG team, at least this version functions and lets me play, I never got to work the steam version :)

(Apologies for my not-so-good english, I'm not a native speaker)
Post edited June 15, 2013 by essa2009
BrandeX: I am not sure, you'll have to check your settings perhaps in options. I have this game from a while back and just checked it again. I use a 360 wireless pad, and in game it says press X, press left button, Press A, etc.
jonaschl: I looked at the options, there it says button 1,2,3,etc. That's my question, why does this version not have the proper labellings?
Frankly I am not sure. I don't have it form GOG.

The posters above are, once again, wrong. This game works flawlessly for me with my wireless 360 controller for windows, with proper button labelings. Perhaps the GOG version has an issue.
jonaschl: I looked at the options, there it says button 1,2,3,etc. That's my question, why does this version not have the proper labellings?
BrandeX: Frankly I am not sure. I don't have it form GOG.

The posters above are, once again, wrong. This game works flawlessly for me with my wireless 360 controller for windows, with proper button labelings. Perhaps the GOG version has an issue.
Once again wrong? What are you talking about man?!

You don't seem to understand my problem. I am not saying the 360 pad doesn't work with the game. It is simply the button labeling that is not existent in the GOG version. Other versions seem to have the correct labeling. The pad works fine but the labels of the buttons and the button mapping are off.
king_mosiah: The game uses Direct Input, not the Xinput that the 360 pad uses.
That's why the button labels don't appear in the game? Is that what you are saying?
Post edited June 16, 2013 by jonaschl
I was referring to the other posters in this thread that said it doesn't work with a 360 controller, nor with X input.
That's how Direct input is mapped, all the buttons are assigned with a number, Xinput (what a 360 pad uses) is a newer standard and this game never supported it. As for why the GOG team did not add Xinput, it was likely not something that could be done easily.
I'm using the GOG version with a wired 360 controller and I have the correct button labels.

Not sure why that would be the case. Maybe the drivers are different? I'm running this in Windows 7 so I'm just using whatever drivers are autoinstalled.
Just to add that I have both wireless and non wireless 360 controllers, and the wired one shows the correct keys to press. The wireless one just has button 1, 13, etc.