It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello. I'm fairly new to IL2. I am also pretty 'fresh' when it comes to flight sims. I recently purchased FSX, and Freespace 2, as well as IL 2. After finishing Freespace 1&2, I am now familiarizing myself with FSX. As much as I love the game... no platform, that FSX provides I looked into some other games for my combat needs. The first was an MMO called WWII Online, and is a FPS with vehicle and aircraft elements. Unfortunately the majority of pilots in that game have been playing for YEARS, and I cannot begin to match their skill. I then turned to IL2.
At first, I couldn't wrap my head around the game. The lack of a decent tutorial. (Let ME fly while you talk mmk? Would rather not watch a video. Learn by doing, not by watching.) and a skimpy manual initially turned me off. Yet, for every WWII flight sim suggestion, this kept popping up. Everyone raved about the dynamic campaigns, and the realism of it. So, just recently I decided to give the game another try. I'm not entirely sure I'm glad I did.
After reading the 'Guide for Nuggets' as well as a few threads around these forums, I have mastered the art of landing, and taking off, and I think I have a good grasp of the basic flight controls. (I still can't shoot a plane down, but I'll be damned if I can't try.) However, a few things are still causing me issues. Here's a lineup of questions for you more experienced pilots.
1. I see the game has the most recent patch. I own the GOG Il2 1946 edition. In another thread, it was mentioned that the game wasn't patched and was missing the latest Dynamic Campaign generator. Since GOG updated the game, have they updated the DCG as well?
2. Ive been flying, and learning to fly, the IL2 1941 aircraft. Ive been doing quick missions. I however, can't read russian, and would REALLY like to know what gauges indicate FUEL, and AMMO and possibly Engine Temp. (Opening my Radiator doesn't seem to do much). I think I have the rest figured out.
3. What would be the most active, and newbie friendly IL2 forums? I'm not sure if the Ubisoft ones are the way to go.
4. I understand that the IL2 has different flap settings. I understand how to switch them. What I DON'T understand, is the exact differences. Here's my best guess.
Rise Flaps - Allows the plane to move in a straight line at a faster speed. For 'regular' flight
Combat Flaps - Allows for quicker turning, and acrobatics.
Landing Flaps - Slows the plane down, and allows for a controlled descent
Takeoff Flaps - Allows you to gain altitude faster
Do these sound about right?
5. Gunsight. I can't find the 'zoom' in the control keys. I would like to map it to my joystick, is it called something else, or am I just missing it?
* If it helps, I'm flying in as realistic settings as I can, except I have the 'fluid mixture' setting turned off, I believe that setting also turns off other higher engine functions. Other then this, I have all realism on.
Thanks for reading, and any help would be greatly appreciated. :D
OneoftheLost: Hello. I'm fairly new to IL2. I am also pretty 'fresh' when it comes to flight sims.
<snip>
At first, I couldn't wrap my head around the game.

I know exactly what you mean. It took a while for me to get a handle on it and still no expert.
OneoftheLost: The lack of a decent tutorial. (Let ME fly while you talk mmk? Would rather not watch a video. Learn by doing, not by watching.) and a skimpy manual initially turned me off.

The best place to try is [url=]http://mission4today.com/[/url] as it is a storehouse of missions and campaigns. They range from training to full on campaigns of high intensity. The only problem is there is so much and with the mods out there, some missions may not be compatible.
OneoftheLost: After reading the 'Guide for Nuggets' as well as a few threads around these forums, I have mastered the art of landing, and taking off, and I think I have a good grasp of the basic flight controls. (I still can't shoot a plane down, but I'll be damned if I can't try.) However, a few things are still causing me issues. Here's a lineup of questions for you more experienced pilots.
1. I see the game has the most recent patch. I own the GOG Il2 1946 edition. In another thread, it was mentioned that the game wasn't patched and was missing the latest Dynamic Campaign generator. Since GOG updated the game, have they updated the DCG as well?

I fly mostly online. The DCG seems to be a mod add-on which is found here: [url=]http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php[/url]
OneoftheLost: 2. Ive been flying, and learning to fly, the IL2 1941 aircraft. Ive been doing quick missions. I however, can't read russian, and would REALLY like to know what gauges indicate FUEL, and AMMO and possibly Engine Temp. (Opening my Radiator doesn't seem to do much). I think I have the rest figured out.

Try Mission 4 Today, I believe they have a comprehensive guide on the gauges someplace.
OneoftheLost: 3. What would be the most active, and newbie friendly IL2 forums? I'm not sure if the Ubisoft ones are the way to go.

Well, there is Mission4today as I have mentioned.
The forum I hang out most is: [url=]http://www.warbirdsofprey.org/[/url] It is a forum for the Warbirds of Prey servers, but they are very helpful, especially if you decide to go online. (This is worded weirdly, but I not implying that they are not helpful if you decide to fly SP only. It is just they are a server group and are working mostly on getting people who have problems getting onto the servers.)
The other forums, but they have a lot to do with mods, are in no particular order:
[url=]http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php[/url]
[url=]http://ultrapack.il2war.com/index.php[/url]
[url=]http://allaircraftsimulations.com/forum/[/url]
OneoftheLost: 4. I understand that the IL2 has different flap settings. I understand how to switch them. What I DON'T understand, is the exact differences. Here's my best guess.
Rise Flaps - Allows the plane to move in a straight line at a faster speed. For 'regular' flight
Combat Flaps - Allows for quicker turning, and acrobatics.
Landing Flaps - Slows the plane down, and allows for a controlled descent
Takeoff Flaps - Allows you to gain altitude faster
Do these sound about right?

Very much right.
OneoftheLost: 5. Gunsight. I can't find the 'zoom' in the control keys. I would like to map it to my joystick, is it called something else, or am I just missing it?

Under controls find the sub section called VIEWS
The keys that help with zooming in and out are these:
Wide View=
FOV 85=
FOV 80=
FOV 75=
Normal View=
FOV 65=
FOV 60=
FOV 55=
FOV 50=
FOV 45=
FOV 40=
FOV 35=
Gunsight View=
Toggle FOV=
Increase FOV=
Decrease FOV=

The Gunsight View= give an extra zoom has you looking straight down the gun sight.
A good video to watch for shooting down enemy planes is Bag the Hun found here: [url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vmcbiZrr40[/url]
Good luck!
Post edited June 19, 2010 by Wailwulf
Hey man! Thanks for all your help, really helped me out. Thanks for your time! Who, knows maybe this will help someone else out.
Thanks again.
Helped me too, thanks.
j.
Glad to know. Considering the people I fly with make me feel as if I know nothing about this game :)