It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

First question. None of the Wildcats (F4F-3, F4F-4, FM2) seem to have working landing gear. I have the gear as joystick button 7, which works on all the other aircraft. With these three, it doesn't (as does the G key). I tried the carrier mission and found I couldn't raise the landing gear on the Wildcat. Is there a known Wildcat gear problem? Or is there a way to see if the aircraft file is bad?
Next, I just can't figure out which buttons will do what regarding weapons. I have joystick buttons 1-4 for the weapons (default values), but I can't guess which will do what. With some it appears Button 1 fires the MGs, with others B1 fires the canon and B2 fires the MG. As for Buttons 3 & 4, I can't guess which bomb will drop with those keys. For example, B4 is the bomb drop for the B-25 with a single load, but how about if I have two different loads?
And lastly, when I fly the Midway Mission with the SBD I can get a bombsight with the Shift-F1 key, but when I use the same plane in the Mission Builder the Shift-F1 key just gives me a slightly different cockpit view. Where did it go?
Post edited April 11, 2010 by Damascus2
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
Damascus2: First question. None of the Wildcats (F4F-3, F4F-4, FM2) seem to have working landing gear. I have the gear as joystick button 7, which works on all the other aircraft. With these three, it doesn't (as does the G key). I tried the carrier mission and found I couldn't raise the landing gear on the Wildcat. Is there a known Wildcat gear problem? Or is there a way to see if the aircraft file is bad?
Next, I just can't figure out which buttons will do what regarding weapons. I have joystick buttons 1-4 for the weapons (default values), but I can't guess which will do what. With some it appears Button 1 fires the MGs, with others B1 fires the canon and B2 fires the MG. As for Buttons 3 & 4, I can't guess which bomb will drop with those keys. For example, B4 is the bomb drop for the B-25 with a single load, but how about if I have two different loads?
And lastly, when I fly the Midway Mission with the SBD I can get a bombsight with the Shift-F1 key, but when I use the same plane in the Mission Builder the Shift-F1 key just gives me a slightly different cockpit view. Where did it go?

Wildcats require you to crank the gears up and down. So, go in to Controls and assign "Rise Gear Manually" and Lower gear Manually" their own key. You need to keep hitting the key until you get the gear up or gear down message.
I have posted a template listing all of the possible key assignments in the order they appear under Controls. I find it easier to find it on paper first (or in notepad and using the Find function) to figure out where to look. http://www.gog.com/en/forum/il_2_sturmovik_1946/il2_key_placement_template
Weapon 1 = Machine Guns
Weapon 2 = Cannons
Weapon 3 = Rockets
Weapon 4 = Bombs
Thanks for the help with the F4F. What a pain! As for the button configs, I was flying the Gladiator in the service of Finland and found that the joystick #1 and #2 buttons fired the guns even though the Gladiator only had 4 machine guns and no canons.
Damascus2: Thanks for the help with the F4F. What a pain! As for the button configs, I was flying the Gladiator in the service of Finland and found that the joystick #1 and #2 buttons fired the guns even though the Gladiator only had 4 machine guns and no canons.

No problem.
Button 2 may be set up both guns and cannons (Weapon 1 & 2= ) Weapon 1 does not mean Button 1.
The Wildcat uses different landing gear bindings-one to rotate the gear wheel up, one to rotate it down. As to why it's separate from the usual gear up/down key (G), I have no idea.
Go look through the control map for "Gear Up" and "Gear Down", and set to taste or just memorize the default bindings.
Post edited May 03, 2010 by NamelessFragger
NamelessFragger: The Wildcat uses different landing gear bindings-one to rotate the gear wheel up, one to rotate it down. As to why it's separate from the usual gear up/down key (G), I have no idea.
Go look through the control map for "Gear Up" and "Gear Down", and set to taste or just memorize the default bindings.

The Wildcat had manual gear in that the pilot had to literally hand crank the wheels up and down in flight after taking off or before landing. So the bother of tapping your keys to do so is to represent you you bending a bit down while flying in order to get your landing gear in place.