It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Roman5: I never said you were

I just remembered I had that screenshot on my PC so I posted it for a laugh

someone unfortunately, took it the wrong way
Protoss: Wasn't me.
I know. Don't worry, I always have at least 1 person on these Forums disliking my posts for no reason
Vestin: Good thing this is not a forum for children ^^ !
Protoss: What do you mean they are not allowed to buy games from the kindergarten? ;-)
Let me be a little more specific: when something is "for children", I take it to mean that its primary and foremost target recipients / audience are children. I don't think this is true with GOG.
Of course - by saying that something is "not for children", one may mean two things - either it's not "for children" (as described above) or is geared towards an audience of not-children (likely: adults).

I may agree that discussing sex in not a topic for a forum geared towards a really young audience (they likely wouldn't care enough), AKA:
hedwards: it's just not something that's appropriate in a forum for children.
but that's most certainly not the case with this forum.
Post edited April 25, 2012 by Vestin
Protoss: What do you mean they are not allowed to buy games from the kindergarten? ;-)
Vestin: Let me be a little more specific: when something is "for children", I take it to mean that its primary and foremost target recipients / audience are children. I don't think this is true with GOG.
Of course - by saying that something is "not for children", one may mean two things - either it's not "for children" (as described above) or is geared towards an audience of not-children (likely: adults).

I may agree that discussing sex in not a topic for a forum geared towards a really young audience (they likely wouldn't care enough), AKA:
hedwards: it's just not something that's appropriate in a forum for children.
Vestin: but that's most certainly not the case with this forum.
I had responded twice and the gog forum saw fit to eat both of the previous responses.

What you need to realize is that 4 of the worlds largest countries combine for a total population of over 1/3 of the world population all have serious hang ups around sex compared with the high tolerance that Europeans exhibit. And I'm not convinced that outside of Europe most people are as "open minded" about it as Europeans are.

What's more, most of the games here were originally intended for kids with the adults who played being essentially a bonus.

These sorts of semantic word games to avoid the fact that this is an all ages site. There are children that log in and their parents likely monitor the interaction. Quibbling about the primary audience doesn't change the fact that it's something that's not appropriate in most parts of the world to talk about around children.

What's more, most of the games on the site were originally intended primarily for children and young adults, pretending like there aren't children that are interested is just plain silly.

At any rate, places like the Forums of Loathing get away with it by keeping the adult discussion in a separate sub forum that's people have to go to specifically rather than having it intermingled with things of general interest.

I don't really care, I just think it's rich whenever Europeans presume to be the center of the universe. When on issues like this you're definitely not.
hedwards: What you need to realize is that 4 of the worlds largest countries combine for a total population of over 1/3 of the world population all have serious hang ups around sex
I pity the fools. We should do everything in our power to help them.

hedwards: What's more, most of the games here were originally intended for kids with the adults who played being essentially a bonus.
After my initial shock and disbelief, I opened my self and casually browsed through the titles there: Assassin's Creed, HoMaM 1-5, Legend of Grimrock, Darklands, Star Control, Alone in the Dark, Scratches, Empire Earth, Zork, the Witcher 1 & 2...
Nonsense. You can BARELY claim that most titles (>50%) here CAN be played by children... and they'd have to be not only smart analytically (lots of hardcore strategy games, stat-filled RPGs...) but KNOW ENGLISH well enough (which is something that might not accur to you all that naturally). I dare you to name over 50% of our catalog here and claim these games were MAINLY geared towards CHILDREN. Not to mention that this means bugger all nowadays, since children will likely look down upon such oldies.
Super Mario being for kids I can buy but PC gaming has been pretty hardcore since its inception, with not nearly as much truly-children-oriented games as on consoles.

hedwards: Quibbling about the primary audience doesn't change the fact that it's something that's not appropriate in most parts of the world to talk about around children.
I am not going to be terrorized by CHILDREN; especially not hypothetical ones. Fuck them - they want to be here, they are going to have to play by the rules WE dictate.
If they are to be sheltered, they should be LIMITED to sites "FOR CHILDREN", it's not that ALL sites should limit THEMSELVES just because children might venture there - that's asinine.
I also feel like I've stated this already...

hedwards: I don't really care, I just think it's rich whenever Europeans presume to be the center of the universe. When on issues like this you're definitely not.
I'm not saying this as a European, I'm saying this as a rational human being. And don't you dare categorize me and use anthropological relativism on me ;P.
Post edited April 25, 2012 by Vestin
Typically lying in bed with some nice mood music and my laptop. Though occasionally while sitting at my desk when I'm a bit more pressed for tim- wait... you guys mean with other people? Oh... uh... in that case, nevermind. Carry on.

*backs away slowly*
Wow, even on GOG you can't have rational conversation about sex without someone being politically correct. If I did have kids, I would rather them find topics about sex than some of the violent BS that abounds on the internet and is much easier to find than a thread on GOG...
-Cym
hedwards: Yes, that's an American point of view, but just because Europeans are more open minded about exposing children to sex doesn't make it right.
Yes, it does.
hedwards: Honestly, it's just not something that's appropriate in a forum for children.
From the Terms of Service
Age Restrictions
Service is available only to individuals who are of legal age to form a binding contract and legally permitted to use the Service. However any individuals under the age of 18, should go over these terms and conditions with their parent or guardian, to make sure that the individual and their parent or guardian understands these terms and conditions.
This definately means that the forum is not for "children", though "children" may access it after permission from their "guardian". The quotes are there since the definition of a child may be different from one person to the other.

On Topic
I'll also go with woman on all fours, lovely position.
cuppsy: Typically lying in bed with some nice mood music and my laptop. Though occasionally while sitting at my desk when I'm a bit more pressed for tim- wait... you guys mean with other people? Oh... uh... in that case, nevermind. Carry on.

*backs away slowly*
Well laptop is other people too! Right? Right?

JMich: On Topic
I'll also go with woman on all fours, lovely position.
All right, this one seems to be the most popular one. I wonder why thou (Really, I do - I know it's supposed to be more animalistic and such, but I still prefer positions where I can actually have physical contact with other parts of her body than mostly just ass. Then again, I'm not really ass-centric :D)

hedwards: I don't really care, I just think it's rich whenever Europeans presume to be the center of the universe. When on issues like this you're definitely not.
Personally, I presume I live in a world where I can say whatever I want, and as long as I'm not damaging anyone, it's ok. Discussion boards are full of trolls and idiots that very much can damage kids who dare to visit some discussion boards, even to the point where said kids inherit their habits, thinking that's the 'right' way to act (more than once have I seen someone 'trolling' here, while his / her original intent was actually good, or at least fitting on these boards. It took loads of patience from the community to calm them down and explain how discussion actually works, and usually it didn't really help.) That's what can damage the children, quite realistically so - and no one really cares.

What people do care about is that I create a polite discussion on boards that are clearly aimed at CC owners, on site that is filled with violent screenshots and the GoG's obsession with half-naked women, not to mention contents of what we discuss here is easily topped by most modern popular 'music'. And that is, apparently, 'damaging' someone and rules of free speech suddenly don't apply. If I created 'post the most gory screenshots,' I bet you wouldn't say a word (no one did at any point when some form of violence - related gaming thread was created.) And to this point, no one was able to come up with a single reasonable argument as to why sex can't be discussed, except for "Because."
Post edited April 26, 2012 by Fenixp
EUROPEANS think and act like theye were in the centre of the world? that's HITLERIOUS, especially coming from a mouth of US citizen.

os. europe is located in the centre of the world , btw :P

And I don't think any kind of bigots should dictate the terms. If you don't like what we are discussing here, don't go there or cover your eyes.
Post edited April 26, 2012 by keeveek
keeveek: that's HITLERIOUS,
New phrase? Or pro typo?
hedwards: What's more, most of the games here were originally intended for kids with the adults who played being essentially a bonus.
Whaaaaat? I've sometimes tried to think which GOG games would be suitable for kids, and mostly come empty. Ok there's that Manhole edutainment title if you can get over the double-meaning title, some arcade racing games, a couple of platform jumping games and pinball games... but most of the GOG games are either too complex, adult-themed, or require good understanding of written English language, to be suitable for kids really.

For the rest of the argument, I couldn't care less, as long as GOG doesn't start implementing sharia in GOG forums.
keeveek: that's HITLERIOUS,
ovoon: New phrase? Or pro typo?
http://www.lolwtfcomics.com/upload/uploads/1327675445.jpg

I thought it kinda suits the discussion ;D
Vestin: Yes, because sex is something decadent, evil and wrong
It never ceases to surprise me how people are always putting a puritan badge on me.
No, sex is a beautiful and wonderful thing. Unfortunately it's being horribly misused these days. Sorry, but the idea of recreational sex sickens me.
And threads like this trivialise it.
Paradoks: Sorry, but the idea of recreational sex sickens me.
Which clearly means that it's wrong for others to discuss or share a different opinion. There are people who hate DRM and most of them don't condemn community because it's members are using Steam.