It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Barefoot_Monkey: Not to be confused with Earth 2160.
Thanks for clearing that up - I was just getting around to that series and this thread is the first time I've heard of that Early Access (which apparently is not part of the same series or development team).

Is this Jim guy the dude who ripped off someone's idea ten years back or so?
Ended up making a really intricate space opera that was too realistic to do anything with...
"Time of arrival to planet's surface: 3 days, 5 hours and 39 minutes."
"Wut?"
StingingVelvet: Valve really need to implement these user-curated systems they keep talking about if they're going to keep letting so much bullshit into the store.
I kinda sorta suspected that GOG was to catch old DOS titles that needed Jerry-Rigging and Desura was for amateur testing grounds (and now Greenlight).
Post edited May 06, 2014 by carnival73
I'm surprised people spend money on scams like this without checking.
mystral: I'm not sure a store that sells games like Master of Orion 3 or Might & Magic 9 can really make much of a claim about having good quality control. ^^
Wishbone: Not a good argument. The difference lies in the number after those game titles. You may think those games suck, and most people may even agree with you, but deliberately leaving out certain entries in otherwise popular series of games is hardly a good idea. Lots of GOG customers are collectors, and as such prefer to have a complete series, even if one or more entries aren't exactly fantastic games.
Not a very good response either IMO. Having a half broken game in the store just so people can buy it then... never play it isn't a sound reason to have it on here, certainly not as a response to GOGs abilities in quality control. You're right the number does make a difference; it implies a quality that the numbers before it had, making it easier to bilk people out of their money than it would be for a game without one.
Wishbone: Not a good argument. The difference lies in the number after those game titles. You may think those games suck, and most people may even agree with you, but deliberately leaving out certain entries in otherwise popular series of games is hardly a good idea. Lots of GOG customers are collectors, and as such prefer to have a complete series, even if one or more entries aren't exactly fantastic games.
Cormoran: Not a very good response either IMO. Having a half broken game in the store just so people can buy it then... never play it isn't a sound reason to have it on here, certainly not as a response to GOGs abilities in quality control. You're right the number does make a difference; it implies a quality that the numbers before it had, making it easier to bilk people out of their money than it would be for a game without one.
I can't speak for M&M 9, but as someone that probably put in a min of 20-30 hours into MOO3, I never had any technical issues with it, nor do I recall the complaints being about it being broken(I could be wrong.) Unless you were talking about broken gameplay, in which case that's a pretty subjective thing to refuse to sell something over.

GOG's job for quality control is to ensure there is a playable game, and that it is technically sound for most users. If the gameplay is worth while or not is more our job. The only exception I would be inclined to mention would be if the game blatantly tries to milk the customer in some way, but then I'm not sure that's a quality control issue so much as some other kind.
^ Yeah, MOO3 isn't broken or half broken afaik. I don't know about M&M 9 either.

The only broken or half broken game here that I can currently think of is Gorky 17. I just know that from reading posts about it in that game forum in the past. I've considered buying it before but never have because of the complaints.
Post edited May 07, 2014 by JohnnyDollar
Afaik MM9 (the GOG version) is free of all game-breaking bugs because it includes the unofficial 1.3 patch.
Crosmando: Afaik MM9 (the GOG version) is free of all game-breaking bugs because it includes the unofficial 1.3 patch.
I didn't know there was a GOG version of Mega Man 9!
Crosmando: Afaik MM9 (the GOG version) is free of all game-breaking bugs because it includes the unofficial 1.3 patch.
groze: I didn't know there was a GOG version of Mega Man 9!
anomaly: Apologies for the double post. (Aside - GOG, please let us delete posts! Hard to correct a Subject line since we aren't allowed and can't delete own threads)

It looks like Valve has heeded the hatred and reversed the tide on Earth 2066 under Early Access, and refunded customer money.

I expect Jim Sterling will give us an excellent video in one of the next Jimquisitions, if not one of his rare mid week updates. I look forward to it!

Link
Valve did the right thing. Nice to know they care about their customers. I bet the person behind Earth 2066 hates Jim Sterling with a passion now, though. :)
JohnnyDollar: ^ Yeah, MOO3 isn't broken or half broken afaik. I don't know about M&M 9 either.

The only broken or half broken game here that I can currently think of is Gorky 17. I just know that from reading posts about it in that game forum in the past. I've considered buying it before but never have because of the complaints.
But is Gorky 17 really broken? That is, broken even on Windows XP or Vista? Because the gamecard doesn't list Windows 7 or 8 as a supported OS.
I am glad Valve did pull the ame although took them long enough. Valve really need to check titles before putting them on sale as it makes them look bad for allowing it to sell in the first place.
i read the thread and op's link and i still don't have idea wtf you guys are talking about.

what is earth 2066? fps? adventure game? another dayz clone? why was it pulled. saying the game is broken is meaningless statement. what was so broken about it? what was falsely advertised.

god. the forbes article is horrible. no information whatsoever. i guess i got to wait for Total Biscuit video or Jim's sterlings... who i know from TGS podcast only. did he make a video about the game before?
lukaszthegreat: i read the thread and op's link and i still don't have idea wtf you guys are talking about.

what is earth 2066? fps? adventure game? another dayz clone? why was it pulled. saying the game is broken is meaningless statement. what was so broken about it? what was falsely advertised.

god. the forbes article is horrible. no information whatsoever. i guess i got to wait for Total Biscuit video or Jim's sterlings... who i know from TGS podcast only. did he make a video about the game before?
Yes, Jim Sterling did. You can watch the video he made for Jimquisition here -

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/9075-Salt-Of-The-Earth-A-Steam-Fail-Story
mystral: I'm not sure a store that sells games like Master of Orion 3 or Might & Magic 9 can really make much of a claim about having good quality control. ^^
First, that particular statement was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I thought it was obvious, but apparently not.
Second, your argument doesn't wash either, since there are quite a few games on GOG that are pretty bad according to most people and not part of a series (Daikatana anyone?).
The fact is that GOG officially gave up on serious quality control when they said their name no longer meant "Good Old Games".

And last but not least you missed the whole point of my argument, namely that I don't think stores should care about quality control anyway.
The 1 store I use that doesn't care at all about it (Gamersgate) is also the only store where I've been able to buy some games I really enjoyed playing, but that most people would probably consider bad.
If there was a community-driven quality control in all stores I would likely have missed out on those. And yes I've been burned a few times by buying bad games who looked interesting, but I consider that a fairly small price to pay for the freedom to buy what I want.

Gamers should be responsible for their own purchases, and in the case of Earth 2066, if people are willing to take a risk on an unknown dev to play a game in early access, they shouldn't be surprised they get burned sometimes.
It's like obvious scams, if people are stupid enough to fall for it, then they deserve to lose their money imo.
lukaszthegreat: i read the thread and op's link and i still don't have idea wtf you guys are talking about.

Nicole28: Yes, Jim Sterling did. You can watch the video he made for Jimquisition here -

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/9075-Salt-Of-The-Earth-A-Steam-Fail-Story
thank you