It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Tex Murphy has entered the building!

Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure marks the triumphant return of everyone's favorite trenchcoat wearing, fedora bearing private detective, Tex Murphy! Thanks to the power of Kickstarter and legions of devoted fans, Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure is available now--DRM-free on GOG.com--for $19.99! (We're so happy about this that some of us are squeeing like little girls!)

The year is 2050. The place: New San Francisco. Someone has made sure that our rough-around-the-edges hero has forgotten the events of the last seven years. What appears to be the world's worst hangover is just the beginning of Tex's troubles as he tries to recollect just what the hell happened. Stuck in a maze of unsolved murders and hidden agendas, Tex must solve the mystery of his own past and that of the lost technologies of Nikola Tesla. Can Tex regain his memory in time to restore what's been lost and stop a terrifying future?

If you have a hankering for old-fashioned FMV with a modern flavor, sleuthing while dropping some pithy one-liners, then look no further than Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure available NOW on PC and Mac, DRM-free for $19.99 on GOG.com!

Important notice!
The Tex Murphy Video Contest is now CLOSED. We are drowning under a torrent of awesome entries and we will announce the winners soon!
irondog: I'm disgusted with them. I don't know what I'll do with that GOG key yet if I see it - which I haven't - but I'll probably let it sit there and rust. I no longer have any desire to play the game whether it's the greatest thing since sliced bread or not, or to have any dealings with BFG again or, for that matter, with Kickstarter.
Oh my god man, the fucking drama here is killing me. They assumed DRM free on Steam would be enough. Super passionate anti-Steam people made it clear it wasn't enough. They said "okay" and sent out GOG keys to make you happy. Your response is to hate them, punch them in the wallet and not play the game at all?

Reexamine your fucking life priorities, man.
Actually, from my correspondence with someone called Steve at Big Finish Games, it seems that the entire thing was a communication breakdown between BFG, ATLUS and GOG, it wasn't so much a matter of them giving us keys because we were annoying them about it, but that they always intended to hand out GOG keys if GOG allowed them. Once I sent an email linking JudasIscariot's posts on this boards regarding GO having sent the codes to ATLUS and GOG allowing devs to give out codes without cost it seems that BFG had no idea that was the case.
Post edited May 10, 2014 by Crosmando
I've been putting off getting this on GoG due to the initial issue of needing Steam (as i can't use it), so am i correct in thinking that if i buy the GoG version now it will just work like a normal GoG release and i won't need to use Steam first?

Having to use Steam was the deal breaker for me, but if that is all now resolved i'll be a very content GoG user.
ThorChild: I've been putting off getting this on GoG due to the initial issue of needing Steam (as i can't use it), so am i correct in thinking that if i buy the GoG version now it will just work like a normal GoG release and i won't need to use Steam first?

Having to use Steam was the deal breaker for me, but if that is all now resolved i'll be a very content GoG user.
No Steam needed for any of our games :)
JudasIscariot: No Steam needed for any of our games :)
Well, i'm glad to hear it, but this didn't seem to be the case for this games initial release, or was that just in relation to people that had kickstarted the game? That was the confusion i was alluding too. But it now appears all that is resolved for the backers, and i guess that means the GoG version here never needed a key to run in the first place?

All a bit messy, but hopefully there are some lessons here for other Kickstarted games that go with GoG as well as Steam (and other DD platforms) for their releases.
JudasIscariot: No Steam needed for any of our games :)
ThorChild: Well, i'm glad to hear it, but this didn't seem to be the case for this games initial release, or was that just in relation to people that had kickstarted the game? That was the confusion i was alluding too. But it now appears all that is resolved for the backers, and i guess that means the GoG version here never needed a key to run in the first place?

All a bit messy, but hopefully there are some lessons here for other Kickstarted games that go with GoG as well as Steam (and other DD platforms) for their releases.
Are you talking about a key where you have to type it in before you can play the game? No, it never needed that :)
Um, how do I redeem this key I got from big finish? The redeem page says: "To redeem Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure you need to own Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure"

I can only click "cancel" at this point.

Very confused right now
KOC: Um, how do I redeem this key I got from big finish? The redeem page says: "To redeem Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure you need to own Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure"

Very confused right now
It's a bug on GOG. Here's the solution from the BFG forums:

"If anyone is seeing this when they attempt to redeem their GOG code...
"To redeem Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure you need to own Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure "
Try logging out of your account, and THEN clicking on the code to redeem.
Post edited May 10, 2014 by FrasierWCrane
KOC: Um, how do I redeem this key I got from big finish? The redeem page says: "To redeem Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure you need to own Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure"

Very confused right now
Apparently logging out and logging in again solves this.
thanks, it worked

11 download parts, lol - that's a lot of hi-def tex murhpy fmv!
StingingVelvet: Oh my god man, the fucking drama here is killing me. They assumed DRM free on Steam would be enough. Super passionate anti-Steam people made it clear it wasn't enough. They said "okay" and sent out GOG keys to make you happy. Your response is to hate them, punch them in the wallet and not play the game at all?

This is actually not quite accurate. BFG guaranteed a non-Steam DRM-free option for anyone that wanted it in the early days of the Kickstarter campaign. This was reaffirmed in Update #61 (Oct 31, 2013) - and I won't even comment on the fact that "we’ll have more information on how to obtain a copy closer to the release of the game" never happened. All we asked for was for BFG to keep their word which they finally did, i.e. it there was nth to assume nor was it a matter of assuming anything to begin with.

EDIT: typo in date of update #61
Post edited May 10, 2014 by HypersomniacLive
irondog: I'm disgusted with them. I don't know what I'll do with that GOG key yet if I see it - which I haven't - but I'll probably let it sit there and rust. I no longer have any desire to play the game whether it's the greatest thing since sliced bread or not, or to have any dealings with BFG again or, for that matter, with Kickstarter.
StingingVelvet: Oh my god man, the fucking drama here is killing me. They assumed DRM free on Steam would be enough. Super passionate anti-Steam people made it clear it wasn't enough. They said "okay" and sent out GOG keys to make you happy. Your response is to hate them, punch them in the wallet and not play the game at all?

Actually, what they said was:

"I'm sorry, there are no plans to deliver GOG codes."

"Our delivery method for Backer downloads is Steam."

And after it was pointed out to them that this was not what they promised to backers of the Kickstarter they said nothing, and ignored all the E-mails, PM's and forum questions for ~2 days.

They could have said: "Guys, please be patient, we are working on it.", or something like that, but they didn't.
Post edited May 10, 2014 by Ichwillnichtmehr
To be fair, at the start of the Kickstarter, it was up in air whether it would be Steam key only, so people were hesitant to support the project. Back then there were also many debates on "What counts as DRM" (e.g. just a one-time use of Steam) and it didn't benefit the Kickstarter at all.
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/tex_murphy_kick_starter/page4

Everyone at GOG was happily promoting the Kickstarter once things were clarified through further Kickstarter updates though and it was a big success! Longtime Tex fan and there were times I thought we'd only see the continuing adventures of Tex in novel form only!

I have over 200+ games on Steam and help run a 1400+ member Tesla Effect Steam group (though I don't do much else on Steam community, just really wanted to promote the game), but with the Jane Jensen Kickstarter there was a survey sent out before launch "Do you want Steam or GOG?" I picked GOG. It's a shame the same wasn't done here, but glad it's all sorted now. =) Happy gaming everyone!
Post edited May 10, 2014 by sai
I pre-ordered and the game isn't there. It is available to purchase (again) - my pre-order things are there, but no game. Really disappointed. First pre-order I've ever done on gog.
runewarden: I pre-ordered and the game isn't there. It is available to purchase (again) - my pre-order things are there, but no game. Really disappointed. First pre-order I've ever done on gog.
Hi try this link and check your GOG shelf again:
https://secure.gog.com/account/refresh

I wonder if the Tesla Effect installer changing from beta to retail created some archive issues, whatever the case this is what GOG staff are suggesting people do. Hope refreshing your account helps!