It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Tex Murphy has entered the building!

Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure marks the triumphant return of everyone's favorite trenchcoat wearing, fedora bearing private detective, Tex Murphy! Thanks to the power of Kickstarter and legions of devoted fans, Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure is available now--DRM-free on GOG.com--for $19.99! (We're so happy about this that some of us are squeeing like little girls!)

The year is 2050. The place: New San Francisco. Someone has made sure that our rough-around-the-edges hero has forgotten the events of the last seven years. What appears to be the world's worst hangover is just the beginning of Tex's troubles as he tries to recollect just what the hell happened. Stuck in a maze of unsolved murders and hidden agendas, Tex must solve the mystery of his own past and that of the lost technologies of Nikola Tesla. Can Tex regain his memory in time to restore what's been lost and stop a terrifying future?

If you have a hankering for old-fashioned FMV with a modern flavor, sleuthing while dropping some pithy one-liners, then look no further than Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure available NOW on PC and Mac, DRM-free for $19.99 on GOG.com!

Important notice!
The Tex Murphy Video Contest is now CLOSED. We are drowning under a torrent of awesome entries and we will announce the winners soon!
silentbob1138: I really hope that will not happen. I suppose there's nothing stopping anyone from giving them away, but there's also nothing stopping anyone from putting the game up on a torrent site. Some people choose to be assholes.
Yeah, but people who might feel too naughty pirating a game can still feel morally okay about buying a cheap Russian key, or selling a duplicate key, or whatever else. Bundles have taught us a lot of people are okay with keeping one version and giving away another, and whether we like it or not I am sure a ton of "giveaways" are about to drop for this game.

Human nature.
djdarko: It's great to hear the GOG keys are coming, but sadly, I think StingingVelvet is right. A lot of members will trade or give away the extra copy, possibly cutting down sales of the game.

They should have given the backers a choice between Steam or GOG, not both. But in the end, it's all up to the backers to decide what they do with the codes given.
silentbob1138: Oh, that's what he meant.
I really hope that will not happen. I suppose there's nothing stopping anyone from giving them away, but there's also nothing stopping anyone from putting the game up on a torrent site. Some people choose to be assholes.
Excuse me but what is wrong about a backer giving away a Steam key for a game bought and paid for five times over?

All this business about GOG or Atlus being at fault for the GOG keys not being available "on time" is so much guff. Big Finish had plenty of time to arrange for both Gog and Steam keys and plenty of time to ask, along with "What size should your fedora be?" or "How do you want to be listed in the credits?" to ask, "Which do you prefer, GOG or Steam?"
I tried to redeem my code:
"To redeem Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure you need to own Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure"
Is it just a bonus code?
Post edited May 09, 2014 by Soldatov
irondog: Excuse me but what is wrong about a backer giving away a Steam key for a game bought and paid for five times over?
You bought one copy of the game. The two keys are so you can pick how you want to download it. They do not mean you bought 2 copies of the game.
silentbob1138: Oh, that's what he meant.
I really hope that will not happen. I suppose there's nothing stopping anyone from giving them away, but there's also nothing stopping anyone from putting the game up on a torrent site. Some people choose to be assholes.
irondog: Excuse me but what is wrong about a backer giving away a Steam key for a game bought and paid for five times over?
There are 7000 backers who will receive 2 keys, if each one of those backers would give 1 key to a friend then BFG would lost 7000 potential customers. FMV adventure like Tex Murphy is a niche for a small audience of gamers.
Every sold copy counts.
Soldatov: I tried to redeem my code:
"To redeem Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure you need to own Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure"
Is it just a bonus code?
Please write to our Support about this :)
Technically no backer bought the game. They gave money to enable the production of the game and as a reward they received the game (and, depending on how much they gave, other stuff) in the form of Steam and GOG keys. Using one of the keys to get the reward and selling the other would effectively double the reward to getting two games. There are other Kickstarter campaigns that offer extra keys to give away at higher tiers, but Tex Murphy didn't.

Also, I assume everyone who backed the game wanted a new Tex Murphy game to be made and will probably want more in the future. More games in the future obviously require Tesla Effect to be financially successful enough which means it needs to sell. If backers sell (or otherwise give away) one of their free keys those are lost sales.

Making backers choose between a Steam and a GOG key would have eliminated the problem, but I think it's great that backers are able to get their game on two platforms. That shouldn't be abused.
Here I am, waking up in the middle of the night, to find out that this whole situation has finally been worked out! Excellent!
The announcement:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/texmurphy/tex-murphy-project-fedora/posts/838674
StingingVelvet: You bought one copy of the game. The two keys are so you can pick how you want to download it. They do not mean you bought 2 copies of the game.
I am aware of that. As it happens, when I gave that Steam key away - which I did - I wasn't aware I'd ever have the chance to punch Big Finish in the wallet.

Big Finish brought any problems that arise from this on themselves. I'm not sorry for them. I doubt they could have handled this whole thing any worse. They promised us an alternative to Steam and didn't provide it when the game was released. They sent out Steam keys and informed us that was all we would get, that there were no plans to provide keys from GOG. I got this same message twice. Meanwhile, people who pre-ordered the game from GOG were playing it without having to jump through Steam's hoops and backers who don't use Steam waited. They let us stew for a couple of days before finally coming out with lame excuses casting blame at GOG and Atlus and saying that they really meant to let us have GOG keys all along. They had just forgotten to mention it.

I'm disgusted with them. I don't know what I'll do with that GOG key yet if I see it - which I haven't - but I'll probably let it sit there and rust. I no longer have any desire to play the game whether it's the greatest thing since sliced bread or not, or to have any dealings with BFG again or, for that matter, with Kickstarter.

The only good thing that came out of this is that a very nice guy has the chance to play Tesla Effect and I'm not sorry at all that I made it possible.
Hello, so we got our GOG keys and I'm going to swap over to the GOG version, but does anyone know where Tesla Effect stores save-game files? They don't seem to be in the directory.
Crosmando: Hello, so we got our GOG keys and I'm going to swap over to the GOG version, but does anyone know where Tesla Effect stores save-game files? They don't seem to be in the directory.
I'm not sure about the Steam version, but the GOG version is saved here:

C:\Users\<login name>\AppData\Local\BigFinishGames\TeslaEffect\<name>
Post edited May 09, 2014 by djdarko
Crosmando: Hello, so we got our GOG keys and I'm going to swap over to the GOG version, but does anyone know where Tesla Effect stores save-game files? They don't seem to be in the directory.
djdarko: I'm not sure about the Steam version, but the GOG version is saved here:

C:\Users\<login name>\AppData\Local\BigFinishGames\TeslaEffect\<name>
Yep same location for Steam, thanks.
StingingVelvet: You bought one copy of the game. The two keys are so you can pick how you want to download it. They do not mean you bought 2 copies of the game.
irondog: I am aware of that. As it happens, when I gave that Steam key away - which I did - I wasn't aware I'd ever have the chance to punch Big Finish in the wallet.

Big Finish brought any problems that arise from this on themselves. I'm not sorry for them. I doubt they could have handled this whole thing any worse. They promised us an alternative to Steam and didn't provide it when the game was released. They sent out Steam keys and informed us that was all we would get, that there were no plans to provide keys from GOG. I got this same message twice. Meanwhile, people who pre-ordered the game from GOG were playing it without having to jump through Steam's hoops and backers who don't use Steam waited. They let us stew for a couple of days before finally coming out with lame excuses casting blame at GOG and Atlus and saying that they really meant to let us have GOG keys all along. They had just forgotten to mention it.

I'm disgusted with them. I don't know what I'll do with that GOG key yet if I see it - which I haven't - but I'll probably let it sit there and rust. I no longer have any desire to play the game whether it's the greatest thing since sliced bread or not, or to have any dealings with BFG again or, for that matter, with Kickstarter.

The only good thing that came out of this is that a very nice guy has the chance to play Tesla Effect and I'm not sorry at all that I made it possible.
"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."

- Napoleon Bonaparte

Although I agree that with the level of incompetence they showed, any negativ consequences are solely the fault of BFG.
Post edited May 10, 2014 by Ichwillnichtmehr
irondog: I'm disgusted with them. I don't know what I'll do with that GOG key yet if I see it - which I haven't - but I'll probably let it sit there and rust. I no longer have any desire to play the game whether it's the greatest thing since sliced bread or not, or to have any dealings with BFG again or, for that matter, with Kickstarter.

You're a little drama queen, aren't ya? It's only me me me ME MEEEE!