It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Tex Murphy has entered the building!

Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure marks the triumphant return of everyone's favorite trenchcoat wearing, fedora bearing private detective, Tex Murphy! Thanks to the power of Kickstarter and legions of devoted fans, Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure is available now--DRM-free on GOG.com--for $19.99! (We're so happy about this that some of us are squeeing like little girls!)

The year is 2050. The place: New San Francisco. Someone has made sure that our rough-around-the-edges hero has forgotten the events of the last seven years. What appears to be the world's worst hangover is just the beginning of Tex's troubles as he tries to recollect just what the hell happened. Stuck in a maze of unsolved murders and hidden agendas, Tex must solve the mystery of his own past and that of the lost technologies of Nikola Tesla. Can Tex regain his memory in time to restore what's been lost and stop a terrifying future?

If you have a hankering for old-fashioned FMV with a modern flavor, sleuthing while dropping some pithy one-liners, then look no further than Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure available NOW on PC and Mac, DRM-free for $19.99 on GOG.com!

Important notice!
The Tex Murphy Video Contest is now CLOSED. We are drowning under a torrent of awesome entries and we will announce the winners soon!
tfishell: EDIT: Eh, might not be worth discussing. In any case, backers who want GOG codes might contact Big Finish.
irondog: Tried that. I emailed BF telling them what I thought about being sent a Steam key. The reply I got was "I'm sorry you feel like that" and was told again that the download was DRM free and I could ditch the Steam client if I didn't want it. Nowhere in that 3 line reply was there a mention of a GOG code being supplied to backers.
This is part of the reply I received when I asked about the possibility of receiving a GOG code.

"While many people like and use Steam, we understand that some would prefer to use other game portals like GOG.

But I do not have any GOG codes to distribute, and I’m not aware of any plans to distribute GOG codes in the future.
This isn’t a reflection on GOG."
And we know that's a lie because in a update they promised an alternative to Steam, GOG send to Altus tesla backers keys, and since yesterday there's some email that tell us Atlus send keys to BFG.

So basically, BFG has backers GOG keys and refuse to give them.
Lord_Britania: And we know that's a lie because in a update they promised an alternative to Steam, GOG send to Altus tesla backers keys, and since yesterday there's some email that tell us Atlus send keys to BFG.

So basically, BFG has backers GOG keys and refuse to give them.
I don't think it's a lie, just a genuine communication breakdown. That responses from Atlus is quite recent, ~6h ago (at least the backers on the forums posted them at that time):

"We sent the GOG codes to Big Finish for distribution just recently. You should check with them about this matter."

There's only one person handling "customer/backer support" at BigFinish, and I really think he's just confused and unaware that the codes had actually been sent to them (they're probably not in immediate contact with Atlus either, and interpreted the fact that GOG wouldn't be able to send them in time as "they won't be sending them at all").
Now that Atlus has apparently done their part, I hope BFG will figure out their mistake and finally get to it.
Post edited May 09, 2014 by MoP
Just visited Tesla Effect's Humble Store page. I love the fact that they do not list this release as DRM-free, but as a Steam key. At least they're honest enough to not perpetuate BFG's stretch logic.
MoP: I don't think it's a lie, just a genuine communication breakdown. That responses from Atlus is quite recent, ~6h ago (at least the backers on the forums posted them at that time):

"We sent the GOG codes to Big Finish for distribution just recently. You should check with them about this matter."

There's only one person handling "customer/backer support" at BigFinish, and I really think he's just confused and unaware that the codes had actually been sent to them (they're probably not in immediate contact with Atlus either, and interpreted the fact that GOG wouldn't be able to send them in time as "they won't be sending them at all").
Now that Atlus has apparently done their part, I hope BFG will figure out their mistake and finally get to it.
Yes you're right lie is a bit too strong ^^'

The most important thing to me is to finally get the game, play it (but not in french, apparently the subtitles are really awful) and tell a lot of people how awesome the game is.

The last 100m of the PR sucks totally but i'll never blame all the people who worked in the shadow or in the lights to make this game good. From what i've seen the picture quality is reaaally good.

So hard to wait ^^'
Lord_Britania: play it (but not in french, apparently the subtitles are really awful)
The translations are all awful, from what I heard. Someone on the BFG facebook page asked if they needed some help in fixing the broken German translation. (Because the $90000 stretch goal could apparently only afford google translator)
Post edited May 09, 2014 by fronzelneekburm
Well, I decided to just download my Steam version and play. But I have to say after 30 minutes of gameplay, woah! The exploration in this game is just great, it makes so much difference to an adventure game when you can literally go all over Chandler Avenue right after you exit the apartment, even into an abandoned apartment block and up to Coit tower (where you can even jump off the building and gives you a little clip of Tex falling to his death). Pretty much all the objects are interactive and you can click to hear Tex's thoughts, even managed to click on an old door and Tex says something about how after World War 3 these neighborhoods were highly sort after because the lead paint was resistant to radiation. Good noir feel and music too. Have only done a few puzzles though, so I'll report on them later.

It's a long time since I've seen such a big 3d map at the beginning of the game.

EDIT: With that said, I'm not hot on the dialogue system, I've rather actually know what Tex is going to say before I pick an option.
Post edited May 09, 2014 by Crosmando
fronzelneekburm: Just visited Tesla Effect's Humble Store page. I love the fact that they do not list this release as DRM-free, but as a Steam key. At least they're honest enough to not perpetuate BFG's stretch logic.
To be fair, Humble only uses the "DRM-FREE" emblem when you can directly download the game from their server via HTTP (or use their torrents). So, that just means they're not offering up a direct download.

On the other hand, yes, I'm right with you. What all the Steam lovers don't seem to comprehend is that it does not matter whether or not the resulting download has DRM in it or not; the mere fact that the only way to acquire your software from Steam is to use a proprietary client that has to do an online check to verify a license before downloading with a custom protocol is a DRM-encumbered process.
Post edited May 09, 2014 by mrh829
LOL! Took a peek at Steam forums and kids are complaining that the graphics are too outdated so the game is unplayable!
Jack.Ketch: LOL! Took a peek at Steam forums and kids are complaining that the graphics are too outdated so the game is unplayable!
What can you expect from 12-16yo boys ^^'
Crosmando: Pretty much all the objects are interactive and you can click to hear Tex's thoughts, even managed to click on an old door and Tex says something about how after World War 3 these neighborhoods were highly sort after because the lead paint was resistant to radiation.
This is one of my favourite things about the Tex series, it really adds a lot of depth to your environment and the personality of the character you're playing to hear their little tidbits whether funny or insightful.

These videos from the "angry gamer" parody guy Ebeeto about the object descriptions in Orient Express always made me laugh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=694H2fH_GKk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8WLN-G56Ic
fronzelneekburm: Just visited Tesla Effect's Humble Store page. I love the fact that they do not list this release as DRM-free, but as a Steam key. At least they're honest enough to not perpetuate BFG's stretch logic.
I preordered the game on GOG, but i will keep my fingers crossed for you to get your key.
The game is just great imo, I'm only a few days in (just got past the Baseball cards part), not sure how many days the whole game will be.
Crosmando: The game is just great imo, I'm only a few days in (just got past the Baseball cards part), not sure how many days the whole game will be.
Apparently it's 12 days long.
Does anyone know if there's a video out there that summarizes the plot of the Tex games up until Tesla Effect?

It's been a long time since I played UAKM and haven't played some of the others. It would be great to get a refresher with video clips, as opposed to just reading the plot on Wikipedia. Thanks!