It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Tex Murphy has entered the building!

Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure marks the triumphant return of everyone's favorite trenchcoat wearing, fedora bearing private detective, Tex Murphy! Thanks to the power of Kickstarter and legions of devoted fans, Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure is available now--DRM-free on GOG.com--for $19.99! (We're so happy about this that some of us are squeeing like little girls!)

The year is 2050. The place: New San Francisco. Someone has made sure that our rough-around-the-edges hero has forgotten the events of the last seven years. What appears to be the world's worst hangover is just the beginning of Tex's troubles as he tries to recollect just what the hell happened. Stuck in a maze of unsolved murders and hidden agendas, Tex must solve the mystery of his own past and that of the lost technologies of Nikola Tesla. Can Tex regain his memory in time to restore what's been lost and stop a terrifying future?

If you have a hankering for old-fashioned FMV with a modern flavor, sleuthing while dropping some pithy one-liners, then look no further than Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure available NOW on PC and Mac, DRM-free for $19.99 on GOG.com!

Important notice!
The Tex Murphy Video Contest is now CLOSED. We are drowning under a torrent of awesome entries and we will announce the winners soon!
The IGN review wasn't that bad. The reviewer obviously isn't the sharpest pencil in the box but overall it was quite decent review. It did miss the mark on several points like complaining that it feels like an 90's game.

But you do not have to be a rabid fanboy of the series to give a fair review.

The problem with IGN and many other game review sites is that most of the reviewers tend to belong to the generation "This Game Is Too hard!" so they are not used to long and complex story driven games that need some serious effort to complete. They do not appreciate things like good game writing and complex story.

I really hope that this old-fashion approach to gaming does not kill Tex Murphy as it might be indeed that they are perceived out of time by mainstream Call of Duty playing ignorant gaming public.
Jack.Ketch: The problem with IGN and many other game review sites is that most of the reviewers tend to belong to the generation "This Game Is Too hard!" so they are not used to long and complex story driven games that need some serious effort to complete. They do not appreciate things like good game writing and complex story.
Yes, I agree with you. It's strange how the guy reacted to the story in his review. First he said that the story only make sense at the end, but I mean, it's a freaking mystery game - it wouldn't be much of a mystery if the story made sense from the get go. He also critized that the story starts slow and "lurches in several different directions", but that's classic film noir story telling in my opinion - building up the suspense.
Ultimately he critizes that "the plot is unbelievably convoluted, so much so that it’s actually difficult to describe." Now I haven't played the game yet past the intro, but most reviews from smaller sites out there particularly praised how intriguing and complex the story is - so I get the feeling the IGN guy just lost focused during playing since most modern games (and movies) don't demand the audience to actively pay attention to what's going on.
Phasmid: Holy moly, 15 GB! That's near four times my download cap, and for an indie game.

djdarko: Alright, thanks for the info. So it all comes down to whether or not a person thinks the Steam client is DRM or not.
Phasmid: No, it isn't, as a rather important step has been left out. You also have to run the game at least once with the client installed to finalise the installation, a step that is noted both in the preorder thread, in the DRM free games on steam thread as being essential in general; and indeed in this very thread. That, most definitely, is not the action of a mere download manager as some claim, and most definitively constitutes DRM. If you don't run it without the steam client that first time it will not work. Of course, for a GOG version or a DRM free disk version that step isn't necessary any more than installing extraneous software of any kind is, so it's by no means an inherent factor in installations in general- it's a deliberate behaviour.

Imagine, if you will, that instead of it being called the steam client it was called the securom or tages client and it required you to download via it and run the game at least once with it. Would such behaviour then be regarded as DRM free? Nope, the squeals of outrage would deafen half the planet. Sheesh, Securom launch control which literally checks only the install date, on install, vs release date is (rightly) considered DRM, and its behaviour is far more benign, DRM wise.

People like steam and don't want it to be drm because drm is bad while steam is good, so they'll do anything to avoid that logic disjunction.
Sorry to answer to this old post but that's uncorrect. You can backup TE (and steam drm-free game) even without running them the first time with the client. I tried it myself yesterday. As soon as the download is over, the game is alredy ok.
The review is total bullshit, the guy admits to not liking FMV adventure games, and then goes ahead to review one. Then he says he wants a story where the player's choices decide what happens, AND then points to TellTale - who's games are the poster child for shallow linear story with no real choices.
Post edited May 08, 2014 by Crosmando
That's a touch odd - the soundtrack now creates a separate top-level folder. Before release it downloaded into the main game folder. Since it was included with pre-orders only, did GOG separate it out because they now plan to sell it as a unique download?
lebowitz: All the Tex Murphy games (the FMV ones, at least) have a hint system. If you get stuck, you can easily get help getting pointed in the right direction. This was especially useful in the days before the internet and gamefaqs.
micktiegs_8: Nah, that would just ruin the experience. I'm not one to use help from these kinds of things, or even the internet.
You're also not one to play adventure games either, judging by your first post.
FrasierWCrane: Yes, I agree with you. It's strange how the guy reacted to the story in his review. First he said that the story only make sense at the end, but I mean, it's a freaking mystery game - it wouldn't be much of a mystery if the story made sense from the get go. He also critized that the story starts slow and "lurches in several different directions", but that's classic film noir story telling in my opinion - building up the suspense.
Ultimately he critizes that "the plot is unbelievably convoluted, so much so that it’s actually difficult to describe." Now I haven't played the game yet past the intro, but most reviews from smaller sites out there particularly praised how intriguing and complex the story is - so I get the feeling the IGN guy just lost focused during playing since most modern games (and movies) don't demand the audience to actively pay attention to what's going on.
Also there's another thing. I have only played couple of hours but I have noticed that a lot of the game references are for people who are mature enought to recognize them. For example in the beginning there's a reference to Richie Havens. I'm sure 97% of younger people have absolutely no idea who that was (hint: an excellent singer-songwriter who started his career in the 60's). There's also several references to old films and stuff in Tex's room in the beginning that you have to be old or educated enough to know. And there's nothing strange about it as most of the adventure games in the 90's were made for more mature audience than many might relaize today. 13 year old kids were not the main target audinece of the adventure gaming and that is why old adventure games are so good and intelligent.
Guys, don't let that review get you down, he probably prefers games with 0 replay value, such as TellTale's The Walking Dead, he comes from a generation that needs a giant yellow arrow pointing them where to go in adventures games. lol
Jack.Ketch: For example in the beginning there's a reference to Richie Havens. I'm sure 97% of younger people have absolutely no idea who that was (hint: an excellent singer-songwriter who started his career in the 60's).
He also wrote two great songs for "The Pandora Directive" and "Overseer", hence the reference:
Tex's Lament (I love that one): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm-m4P5T4d0
Trying to Try: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXxXdk1Ki6Q&list=PLAF696BB9F8DB4072
irondog: I will NEVER frust a developer to keep his word again or back anything on Kickstarter.
I hear you. I've sworn off Kickstarter entirely. There's simply too much bait & switch bullshit going on. If devs want my money, they'll have to deliver first.
Jack.Ketch: For example in the beginning there's a reference to Richie Havens. I'm sure 97% of younger people have absolutely no idea who that was (hint: an excellent singer-songwriter who started his career in the 60's).
FrasierWCrane: He also wrote two great songs for "The Pandora Directive" and "Overseer", hence the reference:
Tex's Lament (I love that one): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm-m4P5T4d0
Trying to Try: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXxXdk1Ki6Q&list=PLAF696BB9F8DB4072
Yeah, the soundtracks in the games are amazing. I've yet to play Tesla Effect, took a while to download though. :P
djdarko: Guys, don't let that review get you down, he probably prefers games with 0 replay value, such as TellTale's The Walking Dead, he comes from a generation that needs a giant yellow arrow pointing them where to go in adventures games. lol
It's a different mentality now. A lot of people are happy to pay their sixty dollars a pop for spoonfed gratification. Otherwise, it's too long, too hard, not enough clues, not enough hints, what do you mean we actually have to GASP take notes, remember conversations, or gods help us all, draw maps!?!?!?!
Things like that are probably a prime reason why the old-school difficulty level games, as well as the insanely tough as nails ones have claimed a niche in the current market. People actually want to feel like they accomplished something, like they contributed more than following the breadcrumbs mindlessly in between seeing some pretty pictures with no real substance until the credits rolled.
Post edited May 08, 2014 by CarrionCrow
One of top release of the year.
Kabus: One of top release of the year.
Can't agree more! Tesla Effect does take the FMV genre to new heights.
I would love to see the 12 Days of Texmas trailer as bonus content download. It`s such an awesome trailer. GOG, could you also create a Karaoke version please? (。┰ω┰。)