It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It's a Myst-y mountain hop!

realMyst: Masterpiece Edition, a beautifully updated version of realMYST, is celebrating the 20th anniversary of Myst on GOG.com for $11.99 (33% off the full price) until 9:59 AM GMT 10 May 2014. For those of you who already own realMyst, the launch discount lasts until 9:59 AM GMT 08 June 2014.

Alone on a mysterious island, you set out to explore its grandeur and mystery. Hear how a chilling tale of intrigue and treachery, defying all boundaries of space and time, is being told. Summon your wits and imagination. Every scrap of paper and ambient sound may provide the vital clues which allow hidden secrets to unravel a part of the mystery and lead you one step closer to reversing a wrong that has gone unchecked for ages.

realMyst: Masterpiece Edition, this is not your father’s Myst! It’s been 20 years since Myst became your world, and there’s never been a better time to revisit the Ages. This newly refreshed and rebuilt version of realMyst is all-things Myst, but amazingly more real. You can explore anywhere, unfettered, and in realtime! As a tribute to Myst's 20th anniversary, the original Myst images have been incorporated into the game and you can switch between the classic version and the remastered edition with a single key press!

We at GOG.com would also like to send out a very heartfelt THANK YOU! to one of our community members who goes by the nick LCRockfish. Thank you for the manual for realMyst! One last thing: SpiderFighter, you can remove realMyst from your GOG Mix now :)

Step into the Ages of Myst Island in the newly remastered realMyst: Masterpiece Edition for only $11.99 until until 9:59 AM GMT 10 May 2014 (08 June 2014 for owners of realMyst ).
grviper: Heh... The longer discount period for the owners of an earlier version fells like literally the least they could do to pretend they give a shit.
They didn't have to do it at all, you know.
grviper: Heh... The longer discount period for the owners of an earlier version fells like literally the least they could do to pretend they give a shit.
Zacron: They didn't have to do it at all, you know.
But then there would be questions. They way they did it, there is a bonus deal for RM buyers, but it's as if there were no bonus at all.
Zacron: This new release is not something a simple patch could have done. The added content might not be a new age, or any new lore, but instead they added more subtle things. Updated sounds and textures, sure. But they added a full Day/Night system, a completely revamped control scheme, and more little things, in an attempt to make it as close to their original vision as possible, given the technology and money they had.
Actually, the day/night cycle is a thing in the first Real Myst. Though I really don't see how days whizzing by in the space of five minutes or so really adds to the overall experience. I found it played havoc on my immersion, personally.

In any case, none of those things are anywhere near a big enough upgrade (if at all) to justify yet another remake for $18. For example, I'd argue that the first Real Myst was justified, since it added some new content (even though there was bugger all to Rime) and the freedom of movement was a huge improvement. I have to say, navigating Channelwood in particular in the original Myst as well as Myst Masterpiece is a fucking nightmare. The free movement fixes that issue right up. As such, Real Myst is overall a better experience and therefore worth both the price of admission, even if you already own one of the previous versions of Myst.

Real Myst: Masterpiece, on the other hand, not so much. There's no new content, the graphics and sound upgrades are something any modder could do and probably has for free, and the gameplay tweaks are all extremely minor changes. There are no major gameplay issues (such as the aforementioned navigating Channelwood especially and the rest of the game in general) that are fixed in this remake. As such, I really don't see why anyone would drop $18 on this version when the "original" Real Myst is just as good and only a 1/3 of the price.
Post edited May 09, 2014 by Hesusio
Zacron: This new release is not something a simple patch could have done. The added content might not be a new age, or any new lore, but instead they added more subtle things. Updated sounds and textures, sure. But they added a full Day/Night system, a completely revamped control scheme, and more little things, in an attempt to make it as close to their original vision as possible, given the technology and money they had.
Hesusio: Actually, the day/night cycle is a thing in the first Real Myst. Though I really don't see how days whizzing by in the space of five minutes or so really adds to the overall experience. I found it played havoc on my immersion, personally.

In any case, none of those things are anywhere near a big enough upgrade (if at all) to justify yet another remake for $18. For example, I'd argue that the first Real Myst was justified, since it added some new content (even though there was bugger all to Rime) and the freedom of movement was a huge improvement. I have to say, navigating Channelwood in particular in the original Myst as well as Myst Masterpiece is a fucking nightmare. The free movement fixes that issue right up. As such, Real Myst is overall a better experience and therefore worth both the price of admission, even if you already own one of the previous versions of Myst.

Real Myst: Masterpiece, on the other hand, not so much. There's no new content, the graphics and sound upgrades are something any modder could do and probably has for free, and the gameplay tweaks are all extremely minor changes. There are no major gameplay issues (such as the aforementioned navigating Channelwood especially and the rest of the game in general) that are fixed in this remake. As such, I really don't see why anyone would drop $18 on this version when the "original" Real Myst is just as good and only a 1/3 of the price.
Exaclty. I'm a HUGe Myst fan, and I really liked RealMyst. The free movement was a must, the new Age was good, and I enjoyed it more then Myst vanilla.

But I can't really figure out why the Masterpiece Edition exist. No added value, and also this is a BAD port from the iOS version of the game. It runs bad, and it's a fact. The engine is too heavy for what if offers, because even on high setting, the game is nothing special, really.

Just check a youtube video, and tell me if the graphic "enhancement" is worth 18€.
Just no.

And...look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-AgGISlweg

This is a mod. And it's MUCH better then RealMyst ME.
Post edited May 09, 2014 by Punished_Snake
Hesusio: Actually, the day/night cycle is a thing in the first Real Myst. Though I really don't see how days whizzing by in the space of five minutes or so really adds to the overall experience. I found it played havoc on my immersion, personally.

This kind of Day/Night cycle is new. At least, I thought it was.
That being said, I have always had issues with the original version and was actually never able to beat it.
Punished_Snake: Exaclty. I'm a HUGe Myst fan, and I really liked RealMyst. The free movement was a must, the new Age was good, and I enjoyed it more then Myst vanilla.

But I can't really figure out why the Masterpiece Edition exist. No added value, and also this is a BAD port from the iOS version of the game. It runs bad, and it's a fact. The engine is too heavy for what if offers, because even on high setting, the game is nothing special, really.

Just check a youtube video, and tell me if the graphic "enhancement" is worth 18€.
Just no.

And...look here:

That is NOT a mod, that is a complete recreation in a completely different game engine.
Post edited May 09, 2014 by Zacron
bought. i thought it looked cool. a few hours into it and i like it so far. thanks, gog. :)

Zacron: This kind of Day/Night cycle is new. At least, I thought it was.
That being said, I have always had issues with the original version and was actually never able to beat it.
Punished_Snake: Exaclty. I'm a HUGe Myst fan, and I really liked RealMyst. The free movement was a must, the new Age was good, and I enjoyed it more then Myst vanilla.

Just no.

And...look here:

Zacron: That is NOT a mod, that is a complete recreation in a completely different game engine.
Then a fanmade title can be much, much better then a 18€ retail title, in this case.
I'd agree with those complaining about the plethora of Myst versions now on GOG. Removing earlier ones and instead including them as addons for RM:ME would make things easier for new buyers, while offering a cumulative discount (i.e. higher for those who have more versions) may placate those unhappy about the pricing.

Also for a 20th anniversary, this seems rather short on extras - a Cyan retrospective, copies of previous interviews and maybe even a copy of a walkthrough shouldn't be too hard to source.
IIRC, the "thing" about this edition is it was made for mobile release, then brought over to PC. Or...am I thinking of the first few Dracula titles? Definitely at least the latter. But I'm blindly willing to wager cents that this edition of Realm Yst is in a similar slog.
I feel I could enjoy this kind of game, but the original Myst I couldn't get too far in. Is this more approachable?

Also, is it great?
GOG.com: ...only $11.99 until 08 June 2014 for owners of realMyst ).
FYI GOG, the extended discount for realMyst owners isn't being applied - it's now showing as $17.99 for me.
TJF588: IIRC, the "thing" about this edition is it was made for mobile release, then brought over to PC. Or...am I thinking of the first few Dracula titles? Definitely at least the latter. But I'm blindly willing to wager cents that this edition of Realm Yst is in a similar slog.
You're probably thinking Dracula, or 1849. I don't think the Unreal Engine is know for running on smartphones?
GOG.com: ...only $11.99 until 08 June 2014 for owners of realMyst ).
AstralWanderer: FYI GOG, the extended discount for realMyst owners isn't being applied - it's now showing as $17.99 for me.
Have you tried placing the game into your cart? As soon as it goes in, it'll drop back down to $11.99. I saw that this morning and was a bit worried myself, but was relieved as soon as I saw the discount.
TJF588: IIRC, the "thing" about this edition is it was made for mobile release, then brought over to PC. Or...am I thinking of the first few Dracula titles? Definitely at least the latter. But I'm blindly willing to wager cents that this edition of Realm Yst is in a similar slog.
Darvond: You're probably thinking Dracula, or 1849. I don't think the Unreal Engine is know for running on smartphones?
The Unreal Engine is AVAILABLE for smartphones, both Android and iOS, just search for Epic Citadel in the App Store / Play Store for an example. However, most games don't utilize it yet, though there are a few out there that do. Infinity Blade was made with the Unreal Engine, and I know there are several others.
MkidTrigun: Have you tried placing the game into your cart? As soon as it goes in, it'll drop back down to $11.99. I saw that this morning and was a bit worried myself, but was relieved as soon as I saw the discount.
Agreed, it does discount when you add it. Still a glitch worth noting though.