It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It's a Myst-y mountain hop!

realMyst: Masterpiece Edition, a beautifully updated version of realMYST, is celebrating the 20th anniversary of Myst on GOG.com for $11.99 (33% off the full price) until 9:59 AM GMT 10 May 2014. For those of you who already own realMyst, the launch discount lasts until 9:59 AM GMT 08 June 2014.

Alone on a mysterious island, you set out to explore its grandeur and mystery. Hear how a chilling tale of intrigue and treachery, defying all boundaries of space and time, is being told. Summon your wits and imagination. Every scrap of paper and ambient sound may provide the vital clues which allow hidden secrets to unravel a part of the mystery and lead you one step closer to reversing a wrong that has gone unchecked for ages.

realMyst: Masterpiece Edition, this is not your father’s Myst! It’s been 20 years since Myst became your world, and there’s never been a better time to revisit the Ages. This newly refreshed and rebuilt version of realMyst is all-things Myst, but amazingly more real. You can explore anywhere, unfettered, and in realtime! As a tribute to Myst's 20th anniversary, the original Myst images have been incorporated into the game and you can switch between the classic version and the remastered edition with a single key press!

We at GOG.com would also like to send out a very heartfelt THANK YOU! to one of our community members who goes by the nick LCRockfish. Thank you for the manual for realMyst! One last thing: SpiderFighter, you can remove realMyst from your GOG Mix now :)

Step into the Ages of Myst Island in the newly remastered realMyst: Masterpiece Edition for only $11.99 until until 9:59 AM GMT 10 May 2014 (08 June 2014 for owners of realMyst ).
ReynardFox: Considering Riven is so obtusely difficult, I'm really surprised no one's jumped at the chance to revitalize it with a more fair and logical remaster or remake.

I'd definitely be up for a "Riven - No Need for a Walkthrough Edition".
gcogs: Well "59 Volts" is doing a RealRiven remake. Look up the Starry Expanse Project. Cyan gave them the thumbs up to remake it and even gave them assets from the original game I believe. Cyan is far too busy now with Obduction.

Also, Riven is not at all unfair or illogical. In fact quite the opposite, as the puzzles are integrated so well into the environment, and everything has a purpose in the world. You just have to approach it properly. By that I mean, write everything down(symbols, sounds, create your own maps). Refer to and study your notes often looking for connections. Read and reread all the journals several times throughout the game until you understand everything in them, and move slow and take everything in. Also the most important thing is to set clear objectives. When you ask how do I get over there? What is this thing for? What does this symbol mean? Write those questions down in a list in sort of a to do list. This will help with any feelings of being lost, confused, or overwhelmed.

Trying to dumb down that masterpiece would be an absolute travesty IMO.
I agree. An analogy would be like taking a AA or AAA title and dumbing it down for an i device. The game is destroyed. If Riven were dumbed down, it would no longer be a Masterpiece or the classic that it is.
There is definitely one selling point that makes this an instabuy for me. Finally: Myst for Mac on Gog!

I haven't played Myst since I put it aside in 1995. Sweet!
gcogs: Also, Riven is not at all unfair or illogical. In fact quite the opposite, as the puzzles are integrated so well into the environment, and everything has a purpose in the world. You just have to approach it properly. By that I mean, write everything down(symbols, sounds, create your own maps). Refer to and study your notes often looking for connections. Read and reread all the journals several times throughout the game until you understand everything in them, and move slow and take everything in. Also the most important thing is to set clear objectives. When you ask how do I get over there? What is this thing for? What does this symbol mean? Write those questions down in a list in sort of a to do list. This will help with any feelings of being lost, confused, or overwhelmed.
Risingson: I think Riven is the most ellitist adventure, well no, game, ever. It depends on loads of backtracking, loads and loads of backtracking and even more, to the point that it is so annoying that its fans say that it is a virtue (something that also happened in the completely opposite in challenge Syberia), and it also depends on leaps of difficulty and logic, so in a sense, I completely understand the love you have if you solved the game without a walkthrough. It must be like a real effort, for months, years, going through a notebook full of notes, putting a lot of effort in a game to be rewarded with...

Oh, or not.

I like Riven, up to those flaws.
What do you mean by elitist?

And that was kind of my point. If you take the right approach, it won't take months or years. There won't be that much backtracking because you'll just reference your notes. And there really aren't any leaps in logic if you pay close attention. I beat it in under 2 weeks, maybe 15 hours total. It was VERY rewarding.

I am curious what you mean about Syberia though because I just started that one.
Risingson: I think Riven is the most ellitist adventure, well no, game, ever. It depends on loads of backtracking, loads and loads of backtracking and even more, to the point that it is so annoying that its fans say that it is a virtue (something that also happened in the completely opposite in challenge Syberia), and it also depends on leaps of difficulty and logic, so in a sense, I completely understand the love you have if you solved the game without a walkthrough. It must be like a real effort, for months, years, going through a notebook full of notes, putting a lot of effort in a game to be rewarded with...

Oh, or not.

I like Riven, up to those flaws.
gcogs: What do you mean by elitist?

And that was kind of my point. If you take the right approach, it won't take months or years. There won't be that much backtracking because you'll just reference your notes. And there really aren't any leaps in logic if you pay close attention. I beat it in under 2 weeks, maybe 15 hours total. It was VERY rewarding.

I am curious what you mean about Syberia though because I just started that one.
I think the unfortunate reality of today is that many people just don't want to invest actual effort in a game any more. Rather than note taking and spending time thinking about puzzles they just hit up a walkthrough, think they could never have thought of that (even though they never tried) and move on to the next five games.
So I just had a whiz at this and it's pretty good, completely retains the "feel" of Myst, being completely alone in this strange island. The graphics are way better than Real Myst (though I still prefer the original Masterpiece Edition because I prefer 2D prerendered gfx). The only thing I would say though is, the Bloom effect is ugly as sin (as it always is, never seen it used well in a game) so it's worth turning off.
Post edited May 08, 2014 by Crosmando
Really, $15 for fancier lighting and textures, something that even a mediocre modder can and will do for free? Are you fucking kidding me?!

Man, Cyan are a bunch of pricks.
Cormoran: Rather than note taking and spending time thinking about puzzles they just hit up a walkthrough, think they could never have thought of that (even though they never tried) and move on to the next five games.
Now you see, that's elitist.

There are plenty of adventure games and RPGs out there with wholly illogical puzzles. Jack Keane being one of them. The King's Quest series is another with absolute blinders. I've just got through one on Tales of Phantasia, where the clues given don't even remotely match the final solution in any way, shape or form.

Whether Myst falls under that category? I've never got all the way through, nor have I resorted to a walkthrough for it, but I've not encountered any puzzles that are wholly illogical to date. Mind you, there are a couple of puzzles on which I was stuck that, if I chose to use a walkthrough, I'd probably change my mind.
Post edited May 09, 2014 by jamyskis
Cormoran: Rather than note taking and spending time thinking about puzzles they just hit up a walkthrough, think they could never have thought of that (even though they never tried) and move on to the next five games.
jamyskis: Now you see, that's elitist.

There are plenty of adventure games and RPGs out there with wholly illogical puzzles. Jack Keane being one of them. The King's Quest series is another with absolute blinders. I've just got through one on Tales of Phantasia, where the clues given don't even remotely match the final solution in any way, shape or form.

Whether Myst falls under that category? I've never got all the way through, nor have I resorted to a walkthrough for it, but I've not encountered any puzzles that are wholly illogical to date. Mind you, there are a couple of puzzles on which I was stuck that, if I chose to use a walkthrough, I'd probably change my mind.
How is that elitist?
Fantastic release.
I'm a huge Myst fan, I own all Myst titles, completed each several times (including URU, a game I really love).

I was tempted by this release, but I tried it from a friend, and...for me, it's a mess.

The game is too heavy, and even if you can run it properly, the graphic update is nothing impressive really.

They added a torch, it's pretty useless, no new feature at all (they could add a new age, but no).

I think this release it's only a cash milking.

They can simply patch Real Myst making it compatible with latest OS, but no. And...Myst again.

This is the fourth release of the game. Why no Riven, for example?
Hesusio: Really, $15 for fancier lighting and textures, something that even a mediocre modder can and will do for free? Are you fucking kidding me?!

Man, Cyan are a bunch of pricks.
I hope for your sake you are just trolling here. Honestly, have you ever looked into WHY they made this release in the first place?
Punished_Snake: I'm a huge Myst fan, I own all Myst titles, completed each several times (including URU, a game I really love).

I was tempted by this release, but I tried it from a friend, and...for me, it's a mess.

The game is too heavy, and even if you can run it properly, the graphic update is nothing impressive really.

They added a torch, it's pretty useless, no new feature at all (they could add a new age, but no).

I think this release it's only a cash milking.

They can simply patch Real Myst making it compatible with latest OS, but no. And...Myst again.

This is the fourth release of the game. Why no Riven, for example?
If you realize the vast amount of fans and lore surrounding this series, you would realize that they really could not add a new Age. There is no room in the lore for it.
They did make this release to make money, but guess what, that is because they are a business. But there are bigger plans in the works for them, and they needed to start somewhere. This is their first real "new" release in years. Where Uru and End of Ages technically had the Cyan Logo attached to it, and they did do an incredible amount of work on them, they were more Ubisoft titles than anything, as far as management was concerned. Robyn Miller himself, co-creator of the whole series (and thus, the whole genre) has even stated that to him, Riven was the end of the story.

Now, however, they want to release Obduction, and they are trying to be known in the community that they are alive and kicking, so they did this release.

My honest question to everyone who reads this is: Is $18 really such a bad price?
Post edited May 09, 2014 by Zacron
I fully understand why some might consider this milking, and they'd be absolutely right.

However, I fricking love Cyan's milk.
Post edited May 09, 2014 by AlexY
Zacron: Honestly, have you ever looked into WHY they made this release in the first place?
A cash grab is the only reason I can think of. Really, other games (Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars, The Shivah, The Incredible Machine) that have been remade include both any original and any rejigged versions of the game(s) in the one release. Yet Myst has not two but now three separate releases of the same game, and this one is basically just a graphics upgrade on the original RealMyst for three times the price.

If there is indeed such an obvious justification for this, as you seem to be implying, well, I'm most curious as to what that is.
Zacron: Honestly, have you ever looked into WHY they made this release in the first place?
Hesusio: A cash grab is the only reason I can think of. Really, other games (Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars, The Shivah, The Incredible Machine) that have been remade include both any original and any rejigged versions of the game(s) in the one release. Yet Myst has not two but now three separate releases of the same game, and this one is basically just a graphics upgrade on the original RealMyst for three times the price.

If there is indeed such an obvious justification for this, as you seem to be implying, well, I'm most curious as to what that is.
Actually it has 4 releases. MYST, MYST: Masterpiece Edition, RealMYST, and now RealMYST: Masterpiece Edition.

But that is because they have had a vision in their heads since day one of what they wanted, and they are not going to stop until they reach it. They have stated as such over the years.

This new release is not something a simple patch could have done. The added content might not be a new age, or any new lore, but instead they added more subtle things. Updated sounds and textures, sure. But they added a full Day/Night system, a completely revamped control scheme, and more little things, in an attempt to make it as close to their original vision as possible, given the technology and money they had.

They have even stated that they are not done yet, but they haven't had the money to do anything more with it.

Is it a cash grab, of course it is, but hey, they aren't charging anywhere near what most companies are charging. Even the BFG edition of DOOM cost $30 on release and it truly had NO features that were not already available via mods. The same thing went for several other re-releases.

Just something to think about, eh?
Heh... The longer discount period for the owners of an earlier version fells like literally the least they could do to pretend they give a shit.