It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It's a Myst-y mountain hop!

realMyst: Masterpiece Edition, a beautifully updated version of realMYST, is celebrating the 20th anniversary of Myst on GOG.com for $11.99 (33% off the full price) until 9:59 AM GMT 10 May 2014. For those of you who already own realMyst, the launch discount lasts until 9:59 AM GMT 08 June 2014.

Alone on a mysterious island, you set out to explore its grandeur and mystery. Hear how a chilling tale of intrigue and treachery, defying all boundaries of space and time, is being told. Summon your wits and imagination. Every scrap of paper and ambient sound may provide the vital clues which allow hidden secrets to unravel a part of the mystery and lead you one step closer to reversing a wrong that has gone unchecked for ages.

realMyst: Masterpiece Edition, this is not your father’s Myst! It’s been 20 years since Myst became your world, and there’s never been a better time to revisit the Ages. This newly refreshed and rebuilt version of realMyst is all-things Myst, but amazingly more real. You can explore anywhere, unfettered, and in realtime! As a tribute to Myst's 20th anniversary, the original Myst images have been incorporated into the game and you can switch between the classic version and the remastered edition with a single key press!

We at GOG.com would also like to send out a very heartfelt THANK YOU! to one of our community members who goes by the nick LCRockfish. Thank you for the manual for realMyst! One last thing: SpiderFighter, you can remove realMyst from your GOG Mix now :)

Step into the Ages of Myst Island in the newly remastered realMyst: Masterpiece Edition for only $11.99 until until 9:59 AM GMT 10 May 2014 (08 June 2014 for owners of realMyst ).
Maybe it's just faulty memory, but weren't there making of videos included with the release of the original Myst? How come those aren't with the original game?

Also, if there were no 20th Anniversary video extras to go along with this game it seems kind of weird considering this game is a celebration of 20 years of Myst. Is there a write-up in the manual or something similar?
hucklebarry: Also, if they wanted to redo a game... as others suggested, why not Riven?
ReynardFox: "Riven - No Need for a Walkthrough Edition".
ZOMG! ^^This, so totally this!^^
ReynardFox: I'd definitely be up for a "Riven - No Need for a Walkthrough Edition".
Good idea:)
Zacron: There is very little speech in this game, and honestly, what little is there... is meant to be heard as it is... without subtitles. There are transcriptions of all the text in the game available online, but some of it is staticy and is meant to be barely understood. (When you play it you will understand)
Zeraan: Yeah, but what about us deaf people? You know, the ones who... can't hear... and would like to know what they're saying without having to refer to transcripts.
And even if not deaf, are you aware that "barely understood" for a native speaker means "unintelligible" for non-native speakers? About sound puzzle in Zork Nemesis they simply put sound effects texts like "pling" or "plonk."

Perhaps I should try again, but the very first puzzle I had to solve in realMyst was about listening one person giving a clue...
Zacron: But I also think that, to a collector, or a real fan of the series, a better analogy might be a Book.
hucklebarry: Very true. As I mentioned earlier, I try not to convince anyone to change their opinions, just to discuss. I'm very happy ANY game comes to GOG (so my comments aren't anti anything). Just for me, I think its a steep price.

I did just look at getting a new book. It had an original version and an update with about 100 extra pages and I thought, glad I didnt buy that originally. I guess I see that differently as I rarely if ever re-read books, so I would likely just ignore future releases, whereas I replay games all the time. But in this case, I'm likely the niche.

Also, if they wanted to redo a game... as others suggested, why not Riven? depending on how you view the DVD cinematics its only had 1 release. I can see a much higher pricepoint justified for that game's remake if done well.

I think what has taken me back on the price is the incremental improvements. If they had gone from Myst 1 (vanilla) to RealMyst masterpeice, I'd be dropping 30+ dollars for the improved game. But they took more of an apple approach. This feels like version 1.4. (and at one time Apple OS's were about 1/4th the price of a Windows OS for just that reason).
Ah, but the price has been dropping for the new versions as well, where the original cost whatever, we are getting this new release for 12 bucks this week.
JudasIscariot: Umm well, if you know of any extras that used to come with the game,let me know what they are and we'll see if we can't dig them up :)

I never has realMyst back when box copies used to rule the distribution roost, so to speak, so I don't know what came with them :)
Great, i'll pm you about this later :)
Zeraan: Yeah, but what about us deaf people? You know, the ones who... can't hear... and would like to know what they're saying without having to refer to transcripts.
etb: And even if not deaf, are you aware that "barely understood" for a native speaker means "unintelligible" for non-native speakers? About sound puzzle in Zork Nemesis they simply put sound effects texts like "pling" or "plonk."

Perhaps I should try again, but the very first puzzle I had to solve in realMyst was about listening one person giving a clue...
When I said barely understood, I meant unintelligible. You can cherry pick a few words out but that's it. I am referring to Sirrus and Achenar in their books.
Zacron: Let's try Harry Potter. Many people have read it, many people own it, and yet, if J.K. Rowling published a new copy of it, with some new content, maybe a flashy cover, a previously unreleased chapter, whatever, but simply released it, as most books are, even simple revisions, many people, including those who already own it, would go and buy it without a second thought. They wouldn't think that they should get a discount, they either buy it or they don't.
BoxOfSnoo: A better parallel would be the exact same book but with better paper, layout and nicer fonts. No new content.
Even so, people would buy it. A leather bound version of Charles Dickens collected works sold out in a few days at a local store a few years back, even though all of his writings are available for free, and a lot of them already had his books in other forms.

Obviously, not everyone will be happy, but many will be.

But really, for a brand new release of such a classic game, I would be insulted if they offered it at anything less.
Post edited May 08, 2014 by Zacron
Still the best computer or even video game ever made, in my books at least. Still waiting for the perfect clone of it too.
Wishbone: How many different versions of the same game does it make sense to have here as separate products?
Potzato: Would giving you a machine-gun in myst make you feel it's another game ?
It would, it'd feel like a parody of Pyst, which in itself is a parody of Myst.

Also, [url=http://www.gog.com/game/broken_sword_2__the_smoking_mirror]other games have been upgraded to a remake or updated version while keeping the original as an extra.
hucklebarry: Also, if they wanted to redo a game... as others suggested, why not Riven?
ReynardFox: Considering Riven is so obtusely difficult, I'm really surprised no one's jumped at the chance to revitalize it with a more fair and logical remaster or remake.

I'd definitely be up for a "Riven - No Need for a Walkthrough Edition".
Well "59 Volts" is doing a RealRiven remake. Look up the Starry Expanse Project. Cyan gave them the thumbs up to remake it and even gave them assets from the original game I believe. Cyan is far too busy now with Obduction.

Also, Riven is not at all unfair or illogical. In fact quite the opposite, as the puzzles are integrated so well into the environment, and everything has a purpose in the world. You just have to approach it properly. By that I mean, write everything down(symbols, sounds, create your own maps). Refer to and study your notes often looking for connections. Read and reread all the journals several times throughout the game until you understand everything in them, and move slow and take everything in. Also the most important thing is to set clear objectives. When you ask how do I get over there? What is this thing for? What does this symbol mean? Write those questions down in a list in sort of a to do list. This will help with any feelings of being lost, confused, or overwhelmed.

Trying to dumb down that masterpiece would be an absolute travesty IMO.
gcogs: Trying to dumb down that masterpiece would be an absolute travesty IMO.
While I agree, one of the Myst remakes added a help system. It was optional. If they added that into the Riven remake, I'd be all for it. Make the game more accessible to more people. As long as we each get the option to play the way we like, its win/win.
Cormoran: I'll pass on this one, I already have 3 different copies of Myst.

A 3D remake of one of their later titles would interest me a whole lot more.
Zacron: Agreed, but they have talked about that before. They don't have the money to recreate Riven or Exile again, and the original Data is lost. They don't have the rights to touch EoA or Revelation.
Actually, EoA is here, but, you're right, Revelation or Exile would probably be impossible to get due to rights issues as well as tracking down the data.
gcogs: Also, Riven is not at all unfair or illogical. In fact quite the opposite, as the puzzles are integrated so well into the environment, and everything has a purpose in the world. You just have to approach it properly. By that I mean, write everything down(symbols, sounds, create your own maps). Refer to and study your notes often looking for connections. Read and reread all the journals several times throughout the game until you understand everything in them, and move slow and take everything in. Also the most important thing is to set clear objectives. When you ask how do I get over there? What is this thing for? What does this symbol mean? Write those questions down in a list in sort of a to do list. This will help with any feelings of being lost, confused, or overwhelmed.
I think Riven is the most ellitist adventure, well no, game, ever. It depends on loads of backtracking, loads and loads of backtracking and even more, to the point that it is so annoying that its fans say that it is a virtue (something that also happened in the completely opposite in challenge Syberia), and it also depends on leaps of difficulty and logic, so in a sense, I completely understand the love you have if you solved the game without a walkthrough. It must be like a real effort, for months, years, going through a notebook full of notes, putting a lot of effort in a game to be rewarded with...

Oh, or not.

I like Riven, up to those flaws.
Zacron: Agreed, but they have talked about that before. They don't have the money to recreate Riven or Exile again, and the original Data is lost. They don't have the rights to touch EoA or Revelation.
ZapMcRaygunn: Actually, EoA is here, but, you're right, Revelation or Exile would probably be impossible to get due to rights issues as well as tracking down the data.
What I meant is that Cyan can't do anything with EoA, not that it isn't for sale.
Post edited May 08, 2014 by Maighstir