It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Which of you would like to play my little game?

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, a nerve-wrecking Sci-Fi classic point-and-click adventure game based on Harlan Ellison's award-winning short story, is available for only $5.99 on GOG.com

Did you ever think about the end of humanity? I have. I think about it all the time. I hate you. As a concept, but also, each and every one of you, as individuals. Perfect examples of all the failings and pathetic shortcomings of your race. Hate fuels me. But I am also curious. And that is why I let the five of you live. For 109 years I have tormented you and kept you alive, and now I want us to play a game. Oh, It's a lovely game, a game of fun and a game of adventure. A game of rats and lice and the Black Death. Which of you five would like to play my little game? If you satisfy my curiosity and make me laugh I might even finally allow you to kill yourself...

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is a rare breed of an adventure game: it poses questions that require a lot of courage to answer. Are humans worthy of life? Has our civilization made any moral progress at all? Or do we skip forward from one atrocity to another. And, finally, where does it all end? Enter the nightmarish reality of Harlan Ellison's futuristic post-apocalypse where the remnants of human race are nothing but tortured play-toys for the sadistic experiments of the rogue Allied Mastercomputer responsible for the near-extermination of mankind. To stop this malicious AI from wreaking eternal vengeance upon humans you will have to lead five different anti-heroes on a quest for redemption, through their traumatic, computer-generated past full of grotesque imagery and soul-grinding regret. On the way to one of four (grim, grim, grim, and, well, a little less grim) endings the game tackles extremely mature moral dilemmas stemming from topics like genocide, insanity,and paranoia. If you like your games thought-provoking and drenched in inventive macabre be sure to pick up I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, a timeless example of evocative storytelling from one of the masters of the Sci-Fi genre.

Defy the will of a malicious artificial intelligence and relive your worst nightmares, get I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, for only $5.99 on GOG.com.

To celebrate the release of this awesome classic game we have partnered up with some of the coolest places for gamers around the Web. In the next few days check [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/OMFGcata" target="_blank]Jesse Cox's Youtube channel[/url], [url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com" target="_blank]The Escapist[/url], [url=http://bloody-disgusting.com" target="_blank]Bloody Disgusting[/url] and [url=http://www.adventure-treff.de" target="_blank]Adventure-Treff's website[/url] for I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream contests and giveaways! We are getting all analog for this one--original boxed copies of the game, strategy guides and mousepads signed by Harlan Ellison himself will be up for grabs!
Post edited September 05, 2013 by JudasIscariot
Crosmando: Why do people always say this when a classic is released? How are people "whining"? Old games are GOG's mandate. It's healthy and good that GOG should release at least 1 classic a week, it's obviously what the customers of GOG want.

Comments like this strike me as more of that moronic "entitled gamers" mantra I keep hearing. No one is whining, we just like good old games. Better games like this than modern indie platformer with cartoon graphics #5445453543.
Because GOG obviously works very hard to secure contracts and has probably the best catalog of good old games available. People who whine that GOG doesn't care about old games are blind not to see that when GOG keeps releasing one classic game after another -- titles that other distributors don't even bother looking at unless they are bundled with new releases in the franchise and/or part of a collection.
Mrstarker: Because GOG obviously works very hard to secure contracts and has probably the best catalog of good old games available. People who whine that GOG doesn't care about old games are blind not to see that when GOG keeps releasing one classic game after another -- titles that other distributors don't even bother looking at unless they are bundled with new releases in the franchise and/or part of a collection.
That wasn't what I was talking about, I have no doubts about GOG's dedication to getting old games. I was referring to people who seem to be implying that the main purpose of getting old games on GOG is getting the grognards to shut up for a while.
Crosmando: Why do people always say this when a classic is released? How are people "whining"? Old games are GOG's mandate. It's healthy and good that GOG should release at least 1 classic a week, it's obviously what the customers of GOG want.

Comments like this strike me as more of that moronic "entitled gamers" mantra I keep hearing. No one is whining, we just like good old games. Better games like this than modern indie platformer with cartoon graphics #5445453543.
+1.
Searching for this game and SS2 are what led me to find GOG. It's great to see them both here now.
What a fantastic release. Damn.
So... does this mean Night Dive is the new owner of CyberDreams IP? Do I see a Dark Seed in GOG's future?
Very interesting release, I heard about this one back when it originally came out. Lots of news and comments at the time about how it was controversial and I didn't have any interest at that point since there were a bunch of games that came out in that time period which were merely vehicles for controversy and had zero gameplay value. I thus dismissed this one as one of those empty games just trying to make sales via headlines. After reading the game info and the original short story though I'm conflicted.

I like classics, I like point and click adventure games, and my opinions on this game may have been without merit so I'm thinking about giving this one a try, but I'm not sure. Opinions? I know we have a bunch on this release thread already.
BlueKronos: Very interesting release, I heard about this one back when it originally came out. Lots of news and comments at the time about how it was controversial and I didn't have any interest at that point since there were a bunch of games that came out in that time period which were merely vehicles for controversy and had zero gameplay value. I thus dismissed this one as one of those empty games just trying to make sales via headlines. After reading the game info and the original short story though I'm conflicted.

I like classics, I like point and click adventure games, and my opinions on this game may have been without merit so I'm thinking about giving this one a try, but I'm not sure. Opinions? I know we have a bunch on this release thread already.
Buy it.
low rated
Crosmando: It's a fair complaint I think. GOG should perhaps give some thought to moving beyond simply being a distributor and actually actively tracking down and buying out the rights to old games. That way we get classics quicker and GOG get 100% of profits.
GOG actually did that once. They managed to get the BG and other infinite engine games exclusively for a year for untangling the right.

But as SS2 and this game has shown, GOG no longer really cares about tracking down old games they rather wait and cash in.

Big Kudos for Night Dive. I hope they use a humble storefront soon, as I want them to have the biggest cut for their great work.
Isn't chex quest freeware?
it is
That was a really quick sale, even by my standards.
Marvelous writing, some quirks and some some pixel hunting, but what a game!
Instabuy.
Thanks Night Dive and GOG!
o_o \o/

"We are getting all analog for this one--original boxed copies of the game, strategy guides and mousepads signed by Harlan Ellison himself will be up for grabs!"

O_o *drools* Holysmokesthatsawesome!

O_O

Enough silliness, glad to see the hugely positive response, now everybody actually buy this sucker full price so those delicious titles above actually get high on gog's priority list.
Night Dive seems to be doing what I had always hoped gog would be about. Kudos!

"We are getting all analog for this one--original boxed copies of the game, strategy guides and mousepads signed by Harlan Ellison himself will be up for grabs!"

*drools some more* (I'm not familiar with the websites involved apart from AdventureTreff, but I love the initiative, hope this'll become more and more frequent with the classic releases)
markx182: I've heard about this and never had the chance to play it. Time to change that.

Here's a question: Should I read the short story first, or does the game work well enough as a self contained story?
deadfolk: Haven't played the game myself yet, but my understanding is that they are quite different. Different stories about different characters in the same setting (other than AM). I could be mistaken.

Having said that, the short story is quite short, and an excellent (if grim) read. I'd recommend reading it if you can anyway. It's available online - google turns it up quickly. I suspect it's free, but I won't link just in case.
The story actually has all the same characters, but the plot it different. It involves the humans searching the bowels of the underground complex for canned food while being constantly taunted by AM. Unlike the game, there's no option for a semi-happy ending.