It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Which of you would like to play my little game?

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, a nerve-wrecking Sci-Fi classic point-and-click adventure game based on Harlan Ellison's award-winning short story, is available for only $5.99 on GOG.com

Did you ever think about the end of humanity? I have. I think about it all the time. I hate you. As a concept, but also, each and every one of you, as individuals. Perfect examples of all the failings and pathetic shortcomings of your race. Hate fuels me. But I am also curious. And that is why I let the five of you live. For 109 years I have tormented you and kept you alive, and now I want us to play a game. Oh, It's a lovely game, a game of fun and a game of adventure. A game of rats and lice and the Black Death. Which of you five would like to play my little game? If you satisfy my curiosity and make me laugh I might even finally allow you to kill yourself...

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is a rare breed of an adventure game: it poses questions that require a lot of courage to answer. Are humans worthy of life? Has our civilization made any moral progress at all? Or do we skip forward from one atrocity to another. And, finally, where does it all end? Enter the nightmarish reality of Harlan Ellison's futuristic post-apocalypse where the remnants of human race are nothing but tortured play-toys for the sadistic experiments of the rogue Allied Mastercomputer responsible for the near-extermination of mankind. To stop this malicious AI from wreaking eternal vengeance upon humans you will have to lead five different anti-heroes on a quest for redemption, through their traumatic, computer-generated past full of grotesque imagery and soul-grinding regret. On the way to one of four (grim, grim, grim, and, well, a little less grim) endings the game tackles extremely mature moral dilemmas stemming from topics like genocide, insanity,and paranoia. If you like your games thought-provoking and drenched in inventive macabre be sure to pick up I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, a timeless example of evocative storytelling from one of the masters of the Sci-Fi genre.

Defy the will of a malicious artificial intelligence and relive your worst nightmares, get I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, for only $5.99 on GOG.com.

To celebrate the release of this awesome classic game we have partnered up with some of the coolest places for gamers around the Web. In the next few days check [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/OMFGcata" target="_blank]Jesse Cox's Youtube channel[/url], [url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com" target="_blank]The Escapist[/url], [url=http://bloody-disgusting.com" target="_blank]Bloody Disgusting[/url] and [url=http://www.adventure-treff.de" target="_blank]Adventure-Treff's website[/url] for I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream contests and giveaways! We are getting all analog for this one--original boxed copies of the game, strategy guides and mousepads signed by Harlan Ellison himself will be up for grabs!
Post edited September 05, 2013 by JudasIscariot
Another classic good old game released? Well, that should shut the whiners up (I know it won't, but it should).
Crosmando: It's a fair complaint I think. GOG should perhaps give some thought to moving beyond simply being a distributor and actually actively tracking down and buying out the rights to old games. That way we get classics quicker and GOG get 100% of profits.
yeah, that could work with Ubi and Hasbro, I'm thinking about SSI crpg games.
I loved this game when it was first released. You really did feel you were finally playing a mature and well thought out game.

If any game deserves a remake, it's this one. I'd instantly back it on Kickstarter!

(and as for the fool that left a three star review of it BEFORE playing it.....Are your parents related?)
SLP2000: yeah, that could work with Ubi and Hasbro, I'm thinking about SSI crpg games.
Well, I meant more obscure games were the rights have gotten lost or are in limbo, and the best way to make them available again is just to buy them.

It's just my opinion, but I think the SSI D&D games are owned entirely by Hasbro. Hasbro owns all D&D computer games post their settlement with Atari and license consolidation. I don't think Ubi would have anything to do with it. Look at Baldur's Gate/IWD, both published by Interplay but published by Hasbro on GOG.

Mrstarker: Another classic good old game released? Well, that should shut the whiners up (I know it won't, but it should).
Why do people always say this when a classic is released? How are people "whining"? Old games are GOG's mandate. It's healthy and good that GOG should release at least 1 classic a week, it's obviously what the customers of GOG want.

Comments like this strike me as more of that moronic "entitled gamers" mantra I keep hearing. No one is whining, we just like good old games. Better games like this than modern indie platformer with cartoon graphics #5445453543.
Crosmando: It's just my opinion, but I think the SSI D&D games are owned entirely by Hasbro. Hasbro owns all D&D computer games post their settlement with Atari and license consolidation. I don't think Ubi would have anything to do with it. Look at Baldur's Gate/IWD, both published by Interplay but published by Hasbro on GOG.
Interplay sold their rights to Atari.

And then Atari and Hasbro had their dispute, and in the end all rights to d&d games owned by Atari went back to Hasbro.

I'm sure that all rights to SSI games are with Ubisoft, but they have no licence to use D&D rights, so their IP rights are useless.
Yes! Thank you GOG
Crosmando: I notice that in your rant you never actual said anything of content, you just sprout words and offer no actual criticism, just little insults.

I think the only one trying to be "edgy" here is you.
Because it is not a detailed review, but rather a short opinionated piece written under the pretense that the reader has actually read the short story or played the game. Should not be hard for said reader to comprehend and interpret. Regardless, to say the post has no true substance is, frankly, false, considering I did make points even if some were veiled; insults were given to be sure, but that was mainly for comedic effect and that was not the sole substance of the post, otherwise it would simply read as "this game sucks, Harlan Ellison blows, GOG is so stupid for releasing this garbage, etc."

I notice that you attempt this criticism for someone explaining disdain, yet not those giving statements of general praise in similar fashion, though this bias is not surprising to see. Keep in mind, I should not be forced into making detailed points if I don't feel like doing so, much like those who praise the game don't have to dig deeply into what they like. People can do that. Also note that I did not insult any of the users here, so I see no reason for one to be directed at me from any of the said users. I can certainly see Harlan Ellison and A. E. van Vogt's ghost scathing me as they see fit, which would be expected (especially from that curmudgeon Ellison), though they were deserving of their negativity anyhow.

In any case, I don't care if you disagree, feel free to. Just keep an open mind.
I've been very interested in this ever since I saw a YouTube playthrough of it, so I've been hoping for a GOG release. Glad to finally see it here. =)

Thank you very much, GOG! Assuming I don't get it in a giveaway, I'll be buying it as soon as I have some money to spare.
SLP2000: yeah, that could work with Ubi and Hasbro, I'm thinking about SSI crpg games.
Crosmando: Well, I meant more obscure games were the rights have gotten lost or are in limbo, and the best way to make them available again is just to buy them.

It's just my opinion, but I think the SSI D&D games are owned entirely by Hasbro. Hasbro owns all D&D computer games post their settlement with Atari and license consolidation. I don't think Ubi would have anything to do with it. Look at Baldur's Gate/IWD, both published by Interplay but published by Hasbro on GOG.

Mrstarker: Another classic good old game released? Well, that should shut the whiners up (I know it won't, but it should).
Crosmando: Why do people always say this when a classic is released? How are people "whining"? Old games are GOG's mandate. It's healthy and good that GOG should release at least 1 classic a week, it's obviously what the customers of GOG want.

Comments like this strike me as more of that moronic "entitled gamers" mantra I keep hearing. No one is whining, we just like good old games. Better games like this than modern indie platformer with cartoon graphics #5445453543.
No its not GOG,s mandate
They release Indies and fairly new games as well but have told they wont stop aquiring old games.
Imo GOG shoud never called themself GOG then i woud stop experince sour air each time i go to this store.
The ones that are entitled are the ones keeping saying they want more classic,s when what,s classic is a matter personal opinion.

what the customers of GOG wants is DRM free games, since there was a voting poll
this voting poll showed that the majority of people wanted indies and fairly new games as well.
But the most vocal ones are the ones that keep asking about Classic,s.

Why care, why not just play some games and let other customers that coudnt care less just browse the damn game store shelf,s??

If your not happy with they way this store is handling stuff then why dont you start your own?
I keep seeing comment,s how easy it is for gog to get old games and even make them work on new computer,s
but funnily enough not even one of the persons that had such a claim have started their own store yet.

Also even though, you may not like modern indie platformer with cartoon graphics
others like them so again we are down to a matter of personal opinion.
What others sees like Garbage may be gold for others.
Post edited September 05, 2013 by Lodium
Whelp. Now to continue making up for the games I missed when I was an FPS junkie.
TheIRS: Because it is not a detailed review, but rather a short opinionated piece written under the pretense that the reader has actually read the short story or played the game.
Yes, I can see that pretense is your forté.
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!
Lodium: No its not GOG,s mandate
How is it not? GOG started out with old games, and it's what they are known for to this day. Most people come here for old games that weren't being officially sold any more.
They released Indies and fairly new games as well but have told they wont stop aquiring old games.
And.... if they are saying they won't stop acquiring old games then they are effectively saying it's their mandate to do so.
Imo GOG shoud never called themself GOG then i woud stop experince sour air each time i go to this store.
Spell-check.
The ones that are entitled are the ones keeping saying they want more classic,s when what,s classic is a matter personal opinion
There's no such thing as "entitled gamers", it's a buzzword that was made up by consoletard gaming "journalists" to try and discredit gamers who speak out against shoddy practices in the industry.

"Classic" might be a matter of opinion, but "old" is not, so if it makes you feel better, I'll say old game instead of classic.
Why care, why not just play some games and let other customers that coudnt care less just browse the damn game store shelf,s??
It's not just about playing the games themselves, it's about preserving the history of computer games.
If your not happy with they way this store is handling stuff then why dont you start your own?
"If you don't like this game, why don't you make your own game"
I think I've heard this line of argumentation before...
I keep seeing comment,s how easy it is for gog to get old games and even make them work on new computer,s

but funnily enough not even one of the persons that had such a claim have started their own store yet.
Lol, are you an idiot? Running a distribution store is about running a business, negotiating contracts, paying employees and taxes. You think because someone can wrap a game in DOS Box that's all the knowledge they need to create an online distributions store like GOG? Do you live in the real-world?
Also even though, you may not like modern indie platformer with cartoon graphics
others like them so again we are down to a matter of personal opinion.
What others sees like Garbage may be gold for others.
No, because platformers are cheap to make, they only have jumping and running. And indie devs are making them (instead of say making more complex games like strategy/RPG) because they lack the talent.
maddNeal: SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!
Okay my bankdetails are...

On a sidenote, I have no mouth and i must shut up.
Nice release Night Dive and GOG! :)