It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

California dreamin'

1849 a city management sim set during the California Gold Rush that captivated millions to seek fame and wealth, is available on GOG.com for $12.74 (15% off the full price) until 9:59 AM GMT on 15 May 2014.

1849 is a memorable year in American history. It put a little town known as San Francisco on the map and transformed it into a boomtown. Thousands of gold seekers from all over the world, colloquially known as forty-niners, came to the territory of California looking to stake their own claim. It's because of this mad rush for gold that California has become known as a place where wealth can be found by sheer luck and audacity.

1849 follows the California Gold Rush as you start with a humble settlement and work to make it a booming, bustling center of trade. Hire workers, build a wide variety of buildings--ranging from saloons to humble workers' houses--and even manage trade networks.

Head west and strike it rich with 1849 for $12.74 (15% off the full price) before 9:59 AM GMT on 15 May 2014. 100% DRM-free ga-ron-teed, pardner.
Dont mind the art-style as long as the game is deep enough.
Squork: 15 dollars?
I bought it for 1$ on indiegamestand some time ago. Got both steam and drm free version there.
I'd be interested to hear more about this pricing strategy from the developer.
tinyE: Wait, this isn't about football?
real.geizterfahr: Depends on which football you mean. The football football (the one where you're kicking a ball with your feet) or... uhm... this... throwing an egg football?
I knew that wasn't go to go over well in here, and I don't even like the 49ers. :P

On an actual gaming note, for some bizarre reason, this game looks really cool to me but then I'm an American history freak. Of course, not at the price, but she is on the wishlist and I'm prepared to wait patiently.

Of course a really cool gold finding game, other than Lode Runner, would be one based on "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre". Who wouldn't love that?
Mr_GeO: Cough*coughh*...original CD-ROM version of E:RotM available for like 5$ on e-bay is working perfectly fine under Win7/Win8...*cough*cough

As for the 1849: looks kinda interesting, but price tag is rather high for the game with the obvious Androidus tableticus syndrome and without MP capabilities... Wishlisted, will wait for a sale.
I don't like/use e-bay... nor do I like discs :D... they take up space. I'd prefer a download-able version :)
IAmSinistar: A bit interested, since I like city management with a fresh setting. And I don't have a problem with Android games on the PC, as long as they are done properly. Does seem pegged a little high price-wise though for such a title.
Not entirely "fresh", Westward has been around for a while in the same vein and has a number of versions. A tad more adventure based than pure city builder but right in the wheelhouse time period-wise. And considerably cheaper. If its the setting that appeals, you should check it out. Man do I miss Sandlot games...
Squork: 15 dollars?
I bought it for 1$ on indiegamestand some time ago. Got both steam and drm free version there.
grimwerk: I'd be interested to hear more about this pricing strategy from the developer.
Same with for example Tower of Guns

And by the way, what they sold on IGS was Alphas, so the full game has not been on sale yet. This is one of the examples where buying games in Alpha stages proves beneficial :)
Crosmando: The thing is, the concept of the game is fine, but when I see those mobile-style graphics with the out-of-proportion "big" people I just hate it. I don't get it, why don't they use 2D graphics with a realistic style.
You must have hated Theme Hospital with the Bloaty Headed people. :)
Crosmando: The thing is, the concept of the game is fine, but when I see those mobile-style graphics with the out-of-proportion "big" people I just hate it. I don't get it, why don't they use 2D graphics with a realistic style.
cw8: You must have hated Theme Hospital with the Bloaty Headed people. :)
Hated the art-style yes, the gameplay was good though.
muttly13: Not entirely "fresh", Westward has been around for a while in the same vein and has a number of versions. A tad more adventure based than pure city builder but right in the wheelhouse time period-wise. And considerably cheaper. If its the setting that appeals, you should check it out. Man do I miss Sandlot games...
Thanks for the recommendation, that does look good. Like that it seems to include the old Iron Horse as well. Any recommendation on the best place to pick it up from? DRM-free preferred, of course. :)
From what I've been reading from the reviews already here on GOG the game doesn't feel as deep as it should. Apparently it was getting early access updates as recent as late April (the 18th) of this year. That tells me they plan on implementing more updates in the future, and the studio doesn't have any other active and posted projects but 1849. I might invest in it when and if it becomes a more fleshed out game, and at least on par with comparable titles like Caesar III. With all the recent fiasco's regarding "early access", like with the game Towns, I'd rather pay for a finished product, not one that just appears to be finished but really isn't.

http://www.somasim.com/blog/

Close maybe, but not quite.
Post edited May 08, 2014 by JinseiNGC224
JinseiNGC224: From what I've been reading from the reviews already here on GOG the game doesn't feel as deep as it should. Apparently it was getting early access updates as recent as late April (the 18th) of this year. That tells me they plan on implementing more updates in the future, and the studio doesn't have any other active and posted projects but 1849. I might invest in it when and if it becomes a more fleshed out game, and at least on par with comparable titles like Caesar III. With all the recent fiasco's regarding "early access", like with the game Towns, I'd rather pay for a finished product, not one that just appears to be finished but really isn't.

sooo.... how long time does a game need to have between updating latest Alpha and the release candidate? should they sit on the finished version for 1 month, 2 months or more?
Post edited May 08, 2014 by amok
muttly13: Not entirely "fresh", Westward has been around for a while in the same vein and has a number of versions. A tad more adventure based than pure city builder but right in the wheelhouse time period-wise. And considerably cheaper. If its the setting that appeals, you should check it out. Man do I miss Sandlot games...
IAmSinistar: Thanks for the recommendation, that does look good. Like that it seems to include the old Iron Horse as well. Any recommendation on the best place to pick it up from? DRM-free preferred, of course. :)
I purchased them from the publisher originally, Sandlot Games. However they were bought out a number of years ago to something called Digital Chocolate or some such and I believe went all DRM. Not even sure if they still exist. Anyway, you can get them on Amazon DRM free. At least i did get 4 there without issue.

Oh, and if you do like Westward, the Kingdoms version is more of the same only medieval based. And when i say more of the same, I mean more of the same... Pretty sure some of the buildings are the exact same models for instance. But, I myself was happy to just have more to play.
Post edited May 08, 2014 by muttly13
IAmSinistar: Thanks for the recommendation, that does look good. Like that it seems to include the old Iron Horse as well. Any recommendation on the best place to pick it up from? DRM-free preferred, of course. :)
My better half got them from BigFish - http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/search.html?search=westward

It does use the BF client, though.
Lol, i got it almost free on IndieGameStand...
JinseiNGC224: From what I've been reading from the reviews already here on GOG the game doesn't feel as deep as it should. Apparently it was getting early access updates as recent as late April (the 18th) of this year. That tells me they plan on implementing more updates in the future, and the studio doesn't have any other active and posted projects but 1849. I might invest in it when and if it becomes a more fleshed out game, and at least on par with comparable titles like Caesar III. With all the recent fiasco's regarding "early access", like with the game Towns, I'd rather pay for a finished product, not one that just appears to be finished but really isn't.

amok: sooo.... how long time does a game need to have between updating latest Alpha and the release candidate? should they sit on the finished version for 1 month, 2 months or more?
I think dev blogs should reflect a projects status at very least and not just "early access", and they didn't give any post saying it was actually finished on that blog. And if reviews are honest, correct me if they're not, it means the game could of used a bit more fleshing out and had a few more things implemented before it went live on a site like GOG. As soon as I get confirmation that the game is what it is and it won't get many more updates, I'll have to see if it's worth a purchase. When games aren't complete I just wait for a few free updates/patches or some DLC that (hopefully) makes the game better than it was previously with added and/or fixed content.
Post edited May 08, 2014 by JinseiNGC224