It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We'll be removing a number of games from the GOG.com catalog - here's your last call to get them with a special discount!

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.
Reaper9988: (I assume GoG has international servers, but so far no international offices.)
The Polish offices are actually international. GOG is based in Cyprus, even if the Cyprus branch is just a PO box.

Reaper9988: If anything games should be priced by where they are made, not where they are sold.
Why? You claim that the cost of them should be based on their workhours price, but the price of them shouldn't? If a game required 50.000 man hours at $7/hour it should cost different from 50.000 man hours at $35/hour?
And why should it cost 5 hours at $7/hour and 1 hour at $35/hour to buy then?
JMich: I'm from Greece and I also agree that there is no fair pricing. Flat pricing is not fair, regional pricing is also not fair.
This is true, but one seems less fair than the other to me.
The best would be to make a per country choice, but since this can't apparently be done the risk is to group poorer countries with way richer ones. In the EU this is evident.
I'm all for regional pricing if nobody gets screwed over, if they could lower prices, e.g., for east Europe and Russia and keep the others normal (i.e. fair conversion from US prices) it would be great.
Reaper9988: It would be silly to expect GOG games not to be pirated. There will always be people that just pirate for the sake of it.

They're not lost customers though since they wouldn't buy the game no matter what.
karnak1: Yup. I know some guys who download pirated games from GOG, even though they could very well afford them.
The reason is plain and simple. They're so used to piracy that they think it's almost a "given right" of them to acquire pirated stuff.

It's twisted and greedy, yes.

I admit that I once pirated a game from GOG... Xenonauts. I downloaded it because I wanted to see how the game worked out.
I enjoyed the gameplay. And as soon as the game gets a promotion I'll buy it from GOG.
We all know there are many scumbags out there who will prefer piracy over legitimate ways.
Reaper9988: (I assume GoG has international servers, but so far no international offices.)
JMich: The Polish offices are actually international. GOG is based in Cyprus, even if the Cyprus branch is just a PO box.

Reaper9988: If anything games should be priced by where they are made, not where they are sold.
JMich: Why? You claim that the cost of them should be based on their workhours price, but the price of them shouldn't? If a game required 50.000 man hours at $7/hour it should cost different from 50.000 man hours at $35/hour?
Well good point, still basing the price on the actual cost seems fairer to me.

The whole cheap labour country and all schemes to reduce costs work so well because of the buy low and sell high that the companies are allowed to do.
While at the same time denying the same opportunity to the customers(Or at least trying to, it's not just the gaming industry at that).
Post edited August 29, 2014 by Reaper9988
JMich: Why? You claim that the cost of them should be based on their workhours price, but the price of them shouldn't? If a game required 50.000 man hours at $7/hour it should cost different from 50.000 man hours at $35/hour?
The selling price should be based on the cost, a game that requires 50'000 man hours at 7$/hour should cost less, everywhere, than a game that required 50'000 an hours at 35$/hours.
Matruchus: And if nobody speaks out against the regional pricing policy slowly coming here then we shall get the usual 1$=1€ like everywhere else very fast.
JMich: And I do agree with this. But to continue the above Linux example, speak out against Unity/KDE/Gnome, not against Linux.
Zoidberg: You want more buying power for luxury items? Get a better economy management and improve your country! Every country in Europe should do that... don't encourage wild capitalism though... like unfair pricing! :)
JMich: My reasoning is that a Luxury item should cost someone the same number of hours at minimum wage, no matter the country. If someone has to work 20 hours to buy a luxury item while someone else has to work 100 hours, then that price is not fair. The $US price may be the same in both cases, but the wage is not.

Or, to put it another way, there was a study at some point comparing the number of hours a McDonalds worker had to work to be able to afford a Big Mac. That number should have been a constant, but it wasn't. So why should someone require more work hours to buy the same thing? Isn't that unfair pricing?
Why not apply it to the same countries then? Why not ask more for a DVD or videogame from a lawer than from a janitor?
Gersen: The selling price should be based on the cost, a game that requires 50'000 man hours at 7$/hour should cost less, everywhere, than a game that required 50'000 an hours at 35$/hours.
And the game should cost 5 hours of work in some countries, while 1 hour of work in others to buy. Gotcha.
Or should it cost 1 hour of work everywhere, while the one made in the more expensive place should cost 5 hours of work everywhere?
08q2y3h4tu: I don't complain that Europeans have received a GOG discount equal to their VAT (15-25%) for years.
You DO now what VAT is, right?
Zoidberg: Why not apply it to the same countries then? Why not ask more for a DVD or videogame from a lawer than from a janitor?
Fine with that as well. Though I do believe certain jobs (emergency services, educators etc) should be paid more than others, and have an easier time buying things.
Zoidberg: Why not apply it to the same countries then? Why not ask more for a DVD or videogame from a lawer than from a janitor?
JMich: Fine with that as well. Though I do believe certain jobs (emergency services, educators etc) should be paid more than others, and have an easier time buying things.
So let's encourage those more prone to consume more to actually pirate stuff and let poorer people easier access to culture?

Mmh, yes, not convinced much...
JMich: And the game should cost 5 hours of work in some countries, while 1 hour of work in others to buy. Gotcha.
Or should it cost 1 hour of work everywhere, while the one made in the more expensive place should cost 5 hours of work everywhere?
How many hour you have to work to buy it is irrelevant to "fairness", what's fair is that peoples who actually made the games got paid a "fair" price based on how much it actually cost to make the game. That peoples in other countries have to work one hour or one millennium to be able to afford the game is another issue altogether.
Zoidberg: So let's encourage those more prone to consume more to actually pirate stuff
Yes. See how GOG does that. Oh, wait.

Zoidberg: and let poorer people easier access to culture?
Yes. A thousand times yes. I'd gladly make my access more expensive if it meant more people could have access.
Gersen: what's fair is that peoples who actually made the games got paid a "fair" price based on how much it actually cost to make the game.
But they did get paid a fair price for it. The $7/hour or $35/hour or whatever per hour they were paid was their fair price. You get paid to deliver a game, and you may (or may not) get a bonus once the game is delivered. How well the game sells isn't something that interests them, unless the people who made it are also publishing it. And in that case, selling it higher does mean bigger profits.

Gersen: That peoples in other countries have to work one hour or one millennium to be able to afford the game is another issue altogether.
Yes. The issue of whether flat price is fair or not.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by JMich
JMich: But they did get paid a fair price for it. The $7/hour or $35/hour or whatever per hour they were paid was their fair price. You get paid to deliver a game, and you may (or may not) get a bonus once the game is delivered. How well the game sells isn't something that interests them, unless the people who made it are also publishing it. And in that case, selling it higher does mean bigger profits.
And who paid this money ? the publisher, so the published should sell the game based on how much it as to pay for it to get made; the 35$/hour game should be more expensive than the one at 7$/hour, selling them at the same price is just the publisher abusing the system to increase profits.

JMich: Yes. The issue of whether flat price is fair or not.
Flat price is not fair... but having lower prices in lower wage countries and higher in higher wage countries is not fair at all either, it's the exact opposite of fair.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by Gersen
Gersen: And who paid this money ? the publisher, so the published should sell the game based on how much it as to pay for it to get made; the 35$/hour game should be more expensive than the one at 7$/hour, selling them at the same price is just the publisher abusing the system to increase profits.
Should they also reduce the price if they sell more items? After all, 20.000 * $5 = 10.000 * $10 = 100.000 * $1. Or is their profit independent of the cost?

Gersen: Flat price is not fair... but having lower prices in lower wage countries is not fair at all either, it's the exact opposite of fair.
Yes. As I said, flat prices are not fair, regional pricing is also not fair.
Shendue: All of those listed are indie games. None of them are oldies. I rest my case.
undeadcow: If it's acceptable for GOG to have a "fair price" policy that let's them vary the price by region on games that have been here for three years or because they are "indie" then I can't help but wonder where the limits of "fair" pricing end or what justifications the community will offer for defending the regional prices while at the same time condemning the practice.

Edit: For the record, I support regional prices - just find the double standard here silly especially when GOG being unwilling to let the developer set their own currency exchange rates results in a publisher leaving a dent in the catalog.
I didn't express any opinion on the subject. I was just informing you that the regional pricing is restricted to non-classic games, because you suggested otherwise.