It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We'll be removing a number of games from the GOG.com catalog - here's your last call to get them with a special discount!

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.
Klumpen0815: The lower class all over the world is screwed this way and may go back to piracy.

I'm so glad that I was after all those bargains in the last 1,5 years.
Lower class is screwed by regional pricing heavily yes and most publishers and developers forget that the world market now mostly exists from impoverished buyers - thus the slow fall in pricing height for new games for years now (exceptions AAA titles). Most new games now sell around 20$.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by Matruchus
Matruchus: but fair pricing policy is a lot fairer to most in comparison to what regional pricing would bring
Yeap. Working for 2 hours to buy a game sure beats working 10 hours to buy the same game. After all, everyone makes the same per hour, right? Oh, wait.
Matruchus: but fair pricing policy is a lot fairer to most in comparison to what regional pricing would bring
JMich: Yeap. Working for 2 hours to buy a game sure beats working 10 hours to buy the same game. After all, everyone makes the same per hour, right? Oh, wait.
Another romantic view of the regional pricing that never works as we think it should (lover instead of higher prices it actually brings). Ah, well good joke by the way :)
SLP2000: Seriously, fair pricing is a joke. It's still not fair If someone from Poland has to pay the same price as someone from UK. We earn x times less than you guys, what's fair about the same price?
And how would it be fair for you paid X time less ? The game still cost the same to be made no matter in which country it is sold, if the game was made in Poland with developers paid polish salaries then you would have a point, but if it's not the case, then if wouldn't be fair at all to have the game sold for less in your country.

If you want real "fair prices" then the price should be based on the cost of life, salaries, taxes of the country in which the game was made, not based on the country in which it is sold. A game made in Poland by polish developers should be sold less everywhere, because it cost less to be made, and a game make in a high wage European countries should be sold for more everywhere; that would be "fair prices".
Matruchus: Another romantic view of the regional pricing that never works as we think it should (lover instead of higher prices it brings). Ah, well good joke by the way :)
Please notice the difference between "I support the idea of it" versus "I support the current implementation". Similar to "I support Linux" versus "I support Unity/Mint/KDE/Gnome".
And I'm just pointing out that the flat prices are also unfair. Claiming that they are always fair-er than regional pricing is misguided.
JMich: Please notice the difference between "I support the idea of it" versus "I support the current implementation". Similar to "I support Linux" versus "I support Unity/Mint/KDE/Gnome".
And I'm just pointing out that the flat prices are also unfair. Claiming that they are always fair-er than regional pricing is misguided.
They are always fairer in my case - I can't speak for the others but its true for my country. All regional priced games are more expensive for me than they are here.

And if nobody speaks out against the regional pricing policy slowly coming here then we shall get the usual 1$=1€ like everywhere else very fast.
SLP2000: Seriously, fair pricing is a joke. It's still not fair If someone from Poland has to pay the same price as someone from UK. We earn x times less than you guys, what's fair about the same price?
Gersen: And how would it be fair for you paid X time less ? The game still cost the same to be made no matter in which country it is sold, if the game was made in Poland with developers paid polish salaries then you would have a point, but if it's not the case, then if wouldn't be fair at all to have the game sold for less in your country.

If you want real "fair prices" then the price should be based on the cost of life, salaries, taxes of the country in which the game was made, not based on the country in which it is sold. A game made in Poland by polish developers should be sold less everywhere, because it cost less to be made, and a game make in a high wage European countries should be sold for more everywhere; that would be "fair prices".
This would be fair for the developers and enable them to carry on making games without having them to leave their country or do heavy outsourcing... in theory. In practice devs want to sell to people with less income too because they need every penny.

The only real fair solution would be a price dependend on the individual income (not some theoretical average income for a big ass area that has millionaires and slaves/"Praktikanten" in it) OR a minimum price and a slider for what you are able to pay on top, pay what you want with a minimum setting that is identical everywhere.

And please stop this €/Yen/Rubel/$ whatever bullshit, just use the currency of the area where the shop is sitting (in this case Poland) or $ or whatever, I think it's a bane that we still got different currencys in the world anyway and I'm pissed that I have to set it back to $ everytime I go to GoG, it could at least keep the damn setting.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by Klumpen0815
Matruchus: an advantage to a few countries and the rest is screwed.
Klumpen0815: The lower class all over the world is screwed this way and may go back to piracy.

I'm so glad that I was after all those sales in the last 1,5 years because somehow I knew this time will end and I may need a backlog later.
If I remember correctly, there was an interview with GOG 2 years ago about why they started the store. One of the main reasons was because piracy were very common in Poland and people were selling pirate copies. GOG wanted to offer a low price option for classic games. I think offering a low price and DRM-free is the best way to deal with piracy.

I'm so glad that I was after all those sales in the last 1,5 years because somehow I knew this time will end and I may need a backlog later.
amund: If I remember correctly, there was an interview with GOG 2 years ago about why they started the store. One of the main reasons was because piracy were very common in Poland and people were selling pirate copies. GOG wanted to offer a low price option for classic games. I think offering a low price and DRM-free is the best way to deal with piracy.
I thought of this article while writing this, yes.
GoG has done a lot against piracy with this way of handling it and I always held this in high regard especcially since they are sitting in the place where most pirated games in the 90s in my area came from.
Klumpen0815: I'm so glad that I was after all those sales in the last 1,5 years because somehow I knew this time will end and I may need a backlog later.
Same here, Hamsterkauf ftw

In less than a year on GOG, I have collected enough games to get me through a very long winter, the nuclear kind.

It's unfortunate that GOG is losing 35 games from Nordic but I was kinda excited to see Black Mirror go on sale. I almost feel like I jinxed this whole thing by wishing for a Black Mirror series sale... Since those games were just recently added to the catalog, the only way the Universe could make a sale happen was through some sort of tragedy.
Klumpen0815: This would be fair for the developers and enable them to carry on making games without having them to leave their country or do heavy outsourcing... in theory. In practice devs want to sell to people with less income too because they need every penny.
Yes, but this has nothing to do with being "fair", but everything to do with maximizing profit. If games prices are cheaper in some countries and higher in other it has absolutely nothing to do with any "fairness", if there was a way to sell games in Russia for 5 times the UK prices and make a better profit than today they would do it, no matter if only a tiny minority of peoples would be able to buy said games.

Klumpen0815: The only real fair solution would be a price dependend on the individual income (not some theoretical average income for a big ass area that has millionaires and slaves in it) OR a minimum price and a slider for what you are able to pay on top, pay what you want with a minimum setting that is identical everywhere.
That wouldn't be "fair" at all, why would peoples with higher income have to "pay" more ? not everybody with an "high" income are millionaire children who inherited their money doing nothing, some actually worked hard for it, how would it be fair, to take an extreme example, that somebody who spend years in school/university and works 12 hours a day have to pay more than somebody who never worked in his life.
Klumpen0815: And please stop this €/Yen/Rubel/$ whatever bullshit, just use the currency of the area where the shop is sitting (in this case Poland) or $ or whatever, I think it's a bane that we still got different currencys in the world anyway and I'm pissed that I have to set it back to $ everytime I go to GoG, it could at least keep the damn setting.
Definitely agree, I would love if there was a way to set the currency once and for all in the account settings. I live in Europe (at least geographically speaking) but in a non-Euro country, so paying in Euro if often worse (conversion fee wise) for me than paying in dollars.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by Gersen

amund: If I remember correctly, there was an interview with GOG 2 years ago about why they started the store. One of the main reasons was because piracy were very common in Poland and people were selling pirate copies. GOG wanted to offer a low price option for classic games. I think offering a low price and DRM-free is the best way to deal with piracy.
Yes, but if they can't make something available then it is nither our fault nor theirs that we resort to piracy, consider DRM free stores the first resort, the second, non intrusive non restrictive DRM (I remember the time when CD games came with activation keys which could be used over and over again) and the last resort is piracy, since non intrusive non restrictive DRM is gone, we have two choices GOG and, when not available on GOG, piracy, blame those who refuse to publish their games on GOG...

Maybe GOG should use that to convince publishers, "If you sell your game with us there is a good chance piracy of that game will drop, increasing your sales and attracting low income customers".

I mean, I came here trying to leave behind a life of piracy, There is a decent amount of games I have acquired or voted in the community wishlist which I played already as pirated copies, but I do want to buy them, that is why I buy them or vote them on the wishlist hoping that someday I could buy them.

That proves that some of us actually want to buy the games, but we are out of decent options to do so.
LeonardoCornejo:
Its hard to convince the publishers to come here when each and every gog game is available on torrents at this moment an is actively pirated. So think about that if you decide to pirate games.
LeonardoCornejo:
Matruchus: Its hard to convince the publishers to come here when each and every gog game is available on torrents at this moment an is actively pirated. So think about that if you decide to pirate games.
Um... aren't all of the Single Player Steam games as well?
LeonardoCornejo:
Matruchus: Its hard to convince the publishers to come here when each and every gog game is available on torrents at this moment an is actively pirated. So think about that if you decide to pirate games.
Huh ? every single game on steam that is not multiplayer is available on torrents and actively pirated.
Same with any digital retailer DRM or not.
The only time there's ever a delay in cracked games is when the protection schemes like CEG get an update, and that usually only lasts a few days.
AFAIK the last time I can remember that it took about a year to crack a game was with star force and targes, you could still play the games through virtiual drives though.(Targes and Starforce were extremely horrible on the actual customers though)

So yeah basically each and every game ever released is available pirated what's your point ?