It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We'll be removing a number of games from the GOG.com catalog - here's your last call to get them with a special discount!

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.
<removed>
Post edited August 28, 2014 by kaileeena
Shendue: All of those listed are indie games. None of them are oldies. I rest my case.
If it's acceptable for GOG to have a "fair price" policy that let's them vary the price by region on games that have been here for three years or because they are "indie" then I can't help but wonder where the limits of "fair" pricing end or what justifications the community will offer for defending the regional prices while at the same time condemning the practice.

Edit: For the record, I support regional prices - just find the double standard here silly especially when GOG being unwilling to let the developer set their own currency exchange rates results in a publisher leaving a dent in the catalog.
Post edited August 28, 2014 by undeadcow
DampSquib: snip...
Awesome! I actually managed to get 1 - Penumbra!

I left Alien Nations for the next person. :)

Thank you!
Post edited August 28, 2014 by djdarko
high rated
DampSquib: Yup along with alien nations.....oh and it's 4 short here...missing 4 in email.
Caught myself out wondering why my own code was invalid :P
Late...that's my excuse.
Stooner: I couldn't see Alien Nations (maybe that's because I already own it?)

I see 4 blocks of 5 characters now... but I could be wrong too, everything I see is gray...

DampSquib: (Fucked up the quote shit) ahhhhh ha :( bad squib.
Stooner: Late. That's your excuse. :)

And also, thanks for the kindness!
DampSquib: snip...
djdarko: Awesome! I actually managed to get 1 - Penumbra!

I left Alien Nations for the next person. :)

Thank you!
You all are very welcome, night & tc all :)

( Woot quote worked )
Post edited August 28, 2014 by DampSquib
JinseiNGC224: I joined GOG for the DRM-free, so I could truly own everything I bought. I don't care what I pay, as long as I'm paying the hard working people at GOG and publishers/developers who put these games on your digital shelves legally. You sell at what you need to sell at and just change the pricing of games as you strike agreements. Straight out removing the games is a huge, huge hit to your selection, and it doesn't leave a good feeling.

I'd rather pay a high price than no price.

Just bring them back sooner than later. This is very heart breaking news and it weigh's heavy on GOG's selection of titles, as they are losing one of their best current partners, Nordic, among some others, and you already lost the Fallouts last winter. Many of these games JUST got here, and others are GOG staples. And I really hope that the makers of Amnesia, and their next horror game coming out in 2015, makes it here.

I do NOT want to join steam or any other platform to play games I've wanted for years. I'd rather buy them here.

Don't become so wrapped up with keeping everything a certain way that it's not realistic. But also remember that there are many of us who will pay anything for our games, regardless of price point, as long as it's legit.

Work for fair bit by bit, but don't make it the ultimatum.
Shendue: I just love how, coincidentally, most of those considerations come from people who live in the USA and never had to pay much more every time they bought a game for like i had to do for years. I couldn't care at all if they increased all the prices. If it was for me, they could raise all the prices now. I just don't see why i have to pay a price that is substantially higher than yours for the very same product, even considering VAT.
If you don't mind paying more, than convince all other GOG customers from US to pay an increased price and ask GOG to reprice all games with european prices, or the equivalent sum in dollars. Then watch all the people that are thumbing you up now run away from GOG to go buy those games on Steam sales instead.
I have no doubt you would agree to pay an increased sum, but the vast majority of people wouldn't. And before pointing fingers at people as if they were crybabies, remember that we ALREADY PAID increased prices for all games. FOR DECADES. Start adding 35% to all of your gaming purchases from now on and in 15 years you stll wouldn't have paid as much as me.
One of the reasons i joined GOG was, indeed, the fair pricing. I understand that you may not get how big an issue it is for many of us, but i assure you that for many people like me it's an issue no less important than the DRM thing, if not even MORE important.
Amazing the problems that having some information can bring isn't it? I mean without the internet and digital distribution, very few people would be aware they are getting charged differently. It's hard for me to say that it is an unfair practice, but it certainly seems that way. Of course, when you want to talk about things being fair then you really open a can of worms. At least if the game is being sold it leaves the choice to the consumer to decide if they think the price is fair or not.

Interestingly, I just read an article the other day discussing how the value of the dollar varies (purchasing power) on average throughout each of the States here in the US. Seems in some states $100 only buys $84 "worth" of goods while in others it buys $111. I imagine that even here in the US many people effectively pay more than what others pay, even with the price being the same.

I guess part of my point is that maybe fair pricing isn't exactly "fair" either. That being said, pricing practices on games always make me scratch my head. Even more so when you account for nature of digital items. I suppose you are right though, I can see that for some people the fair pricing policy could be as important or even more so than the DRM free policy.
DampSquib: You all are very welcome, night & tc all :)

( Woot quote worked )
Well, that happens when you're not trying to fuck 'em... ;p

Have a g' night!
bmihoric: A while ago, GoG was derailed by a bunch of whiners. Still on the wrong track, the jungle just got thicker and first serious consequences are beginning to show. The site could get stuck in a real deep mud eventually, and get pulled under.

Seeing the movies being added, it's obvious GoG is trying hard to find new content, now that those whiners practically cut GoG away from new games.

Still not too late to change. I never understood, why GoG didn't publicly ask EVERYONE here to VOTE whether we are OK with regional prices, if it brings new AAA titles here. Why just listen to the loud croud, and pretend there is no alternative? Why, GoG?
That's how I feel. I've lost most of my enthusiasm for GOG.

This is coming from someone who often:

- wrote pubs and devs (both traditional and Kickstarter) asking for GOG releases
- bought games here on a regular basis (despite having a very large backlog) simply to support a DRM-free future for gaming
- enthusiastically recommended GOG to other gamers.

Now I feel like GOG has no future because of a vocal minority of first-world Europeans and Australians who don't want to pay their normal local prices for games. Maybe I'm biased being American, but consider that I don't complain that Russians and others pay less for games. I don't complain that Europeans have received a GOG discount equal to their VAT (15-25%) for years. What I care about is DRM-free games and a better future for gamers. Prices are almost irrelevant; I can wait for a sale if a price isn't attractive to me.

(Yes, I'm aware that certain countries have legitimate complaints about regional pricing as it is most often implemented because they are lumped together with more prosperous nations despite different economies, but flat pricing is not a fair pricing scheme either, and many poorer countries *do* benefit from regional pricing.)

At the very least, GOG, give us a main page poll that requires an account with at least one purchased game to vote. Regional pricing/more games vs. flat pricing/less games. I want to see the numbers.
Daliz: Thanks for the post Nordic / ThomNG!

So in short - GOGs fair price/currency thingy is too complicated.
In other words, 'business inconvenience'.
BloodMist: Huh, why couldn't you just get rid of some of the crappy newer games instead? But no you have to get rid of the older titles, which is the very reason I ever gave two glances to this website in the first place. And I do mean the first, I was here day one. For the, you know, the classic games. :l
Well, none of the removed games is really old, I think they are all released in the 2000's.
Also it's always sad to see games leaving the catalog, but there's not really that many modern classics there either.

So statistically speaking after removing these games the relative proportion of truly old games and really classic games is a bit bigger than it is now. If age and classic status is all that matters.

And to be fair to GOG, because they chose to honor the wishes of their (most) users, and not go with normal regional pricing, there is also a large number of new games, crappy or not, which never even enter the catalog.

Other than that, I agree that it would be nice to see more older games (some of which are classic, some of which are not) on GOG.
ktchong: Which is why I do not understand people who say they refuse to use Steam. Do they know how many games they are missing out?
I refuse to use Steam out of principle, I have ethical issues with the service that I cannot resolve, and I believe that when you stand for or against something you commit to it.

So I might miss out on a game or two, I know that, but I value my principles more than convenience.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by ReynardFox
ktchong: Which is why I do not understand people who say they refuse to use Steam. Do they know how many games they are missing out?
ReynardFox: I refuse to use Steam out of principle, I have ethical issues with the service that I cannot resolve, and I believe that when you stand for or against something you commit to it.

So I might miss out on a game or two, I know that, but I value my principles more than convenience.
+1

I have a couple hundred games on Steam, but they have all been free codes from bundles, Kickstarter rewards, gifts, or rare 100% Steam discounts. I have never spent a single cent on Steam, and it's highly unlikely that I will in any forseeable future.
low rated
ReynardFox: I refuse to use Steam out of principle, I have ethical issues with the service that I cannot resolve, and I believe that when you stand for or against something you commit to it.

I think the so-called "fair" pricing is economically unfair. It seems that I am not the only one who thinks that way. When I signed up for GOG and started buying here, there was no "fair pricing" BS. I I did not know GOG would implement the "fair pricing" idiocy. If I had known, I likely would have never bought anything from GOG, knowing that fair pricing is bad business that would lead to the inevitable loss of publishers and titles, to difficulty in signing up new publishers, and ultimately to a smaller and stagnant catalog. That was not what I signed up for. I did not sign up for less games. I did not sign up for movies. I did not sign up for "fair pricing". I signed up for games and more games. But that is not how GOG has turned out.

The fair pricing BS just came out of nowhere and was quickly shoved down my throat even as I - as a customer who had already paid and locked into the ecosystem - strongly objected to it. So I feel that I have been baited-and-switched. Bait-and-switch is certainly an ethical issue. I feel bait-and-switch is a way more serious ethical transgression than DRM or whatever Steam has done. Steam has certainly never made me feel so "screwed over". So from now on, I really should buy from Steam. Out of principle. It is an, ethical issue.

It is your logic.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by ktchong
I made a new request, check the description for details

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/try_real_hard_to_reach_an_agreement_with_nordic_and_with_other_companies_too
I wonder... With the Spellforce series on the list, I should get it for trading later?
rtcvb32: I wonder... With the Spellforce series on the list, I should get it for trading later?
Nobody knows if the codes will work later so Im not sure if that is a good idea.