It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We'll be removing a number of games from the GOG.com catalog - here's your last call to get them with a special discount!

Today, we're here to honor the promise we gave you to announce ahead of time whenever we're taking a game down from sales. We wanted to give you one last chance to get the titles we're delisting with a considerable discount, and the partners involved agreed. There are 35 games on that list and you can get them all for up to 80% off until Tuesday, September 2, at 3:59AM GMT. Any title you buy will remain in your collection even after it's removed from our catalog, so you can always download and re-download the installers and bonus content. Check out the promo page to see which games this concerns.

We're still ironing out a few details. For now, the promo pages, like the one for the Last Chance Special, list all the game prices only in US dollars. But don't freak out: if you chose to use your local currency you will see the prices in local currency in checkout, and you can still finalize the transaction in local currency. We hope to have this issue fixed within the next weeks.
ktchong: Which is why I do not understand people who say they refuse to use Steam. Do they know how many games they are missing out?
This is exactly the reason so many people avoid Steam; it's scary the monopoly Steam has on the industry twisting video gaming into something it never has been before - pushing social media fluff, requiring online connections, and other forms of DRM.
high rated
synfresh: Here is a newsflash, there are many GoG customers that are also Steam customers (some more than others).
djdarko: Wow, thanks for that dude. That added so much to the conversation.

Are you saying people prefer to buy games here because a reason other than being DRM free?

Everyone is trying to claim another reason, yet I haven't seen any yet.
Good lord, no one mentioned it yet?

Some of us came here for the "Old" in Good Old Gaming (when it was still called that).
synfresh: I understand where they are coming from. The alternative is not do anything at which point you are giving preferential pricing to GoG only which I'm sure would run afoul with every other partner.
Indeed, I certainly understand their situation as well but GOG was getting preferential treatment before as well when there was flat USD pricing for all territories as compared to the other digital partners. But since USD was the only currency on GOG before Nordic had a point for argument if other digital partners objected to the pricing leniency for GOG customers worldwide. Now however it is not possible to provide a solid reason to other partners if GOG is given more flexibility on pricing as compared to them.
Ixamyakxim: I know it's only 5 bucks but can anyone comment on whether or not an adventure game newbie should pick up Black Mirror 1 and / or 2?

Things I like - "real life" puzzles - I don't want to combine the ham with the rusty key to start the car engine. I like stuff that "makes sense" - I've recently played both Amnesia and Dracula 4 - enjoyed those sorts of puzzles just fine.

Also, are these games complete stories in their own right? I don't want some 3 hour game that ends in a cliffhanger. If I just grab say, Black Mirror 1 is it going to be short and just "end" - I don't mind if the story isn't finished exactly, I just don't want to be left high and dry right in the middle of something.
I'd recommend buying only Black Mirror (the first), because it's kind of a wrapped up story. Of course, things continue in the 2nd game, but I think the first one can be played as a standalone - that's what I did, anyway, back when the 2nd and 3rd weren't even released. The game feels a bit open-ended, to tell the truth, but since the 2nd game doesn't continue the storyline, anyway, it's not a big deal (for me, it wasn't, anyway, but judging by your post it might work for you, too).

Also, personally, I didn't like Black Mirror 2 at all, but from a more neutral point of view: this one ends with a cliffhanger, anyway, and I guess you'd have to play the third and last game to see it through (which I haven't yet, since, as mentioned, I didn't like the 2nd).

Hope that was somewhat helpful :)

Edit: I haven't played Amnesia and/or Dracula 4 so I can't compare them to Black Mirror, but as far as I remember puzzles were relatively logical in the BM games (Black Mirror is a point-and-click adventure, though, unlike Amnesia). BUT, as for Black Mirror 1, I think some events only triggered if you would visit the different places and were sometimes a bit easy to miss (the 2nd was fine in that regard). I haven't played the first game in years, so I'm not 100% sure about this stuff and how bad it really was, just thought I should mention that.
Post edited August 28, 2014 by modkon
ReynardFox: It was not about old games not bringing in enough money, it's pretty clear that the pool of new 'good old' games was going to run dry sooner rather than later, with many of the best oldies not here tied up in licensing nightmares, GOG had to expand.
MoP: I'm not buying that. Does having ~100 of the ~1700 adventure games released pre-2000k (i.e. ~ 5%) seem like a well that's drying up? With folks often lamenting the lack of strategy/sim releases at the expense of adventures and platformers, curious what the numbers are on other genres.

Obviously only a portion of those are worthy of bringing in, and only a portion of those worthy will be attainable. But even going by TETs conservative guess (which I don't agree with), they'd still have another ~100 to go, which should last them another ~5 years with their trickling release schedule. It's all conjecture obviously, but I'm not buying the Tale of the Drying Well.
I'm still hoping to see Enemy Infestation show up. That's a tough one. Developed by Ripcord, published by Panasonic.
fronzelneekburm: Personally, I'd prefer a USD lock for all the games. I just don't see the obvious upsides to users being able to pay in their respective currencies, maybe somebody is willing to educate me on these.
Shambhala: Some people have to pay really high conversion fees.
Edit: an example
It was either conversion fees or unfair prices or sacrificing games, you want no sacrifice at all man.
djdarko: Wow, thanks for that dude. That added so much to the conversation.

Are you saying people prefer to buy games here because a reason other than being DRM free?

Everyone is trying to claim another reason, yet I haven't seen any yet.
Pheace: Good lord, no one mentioned it yet?

Some of us came here for the "Old" in Good Old Gaming (when it was still called that).
Yeah, good point.
djdarko: I just spent about 30 minutes posting this entire deal on SlickDeals:
http://slickdeals.net/f/7164130-gog-pc-download-up-to-80-off-last-chance-sale-drm-free

I hope it will attract some extra attention to the sales and GOG in general.

If there is anything I've forgotten let me know and I'll edit the post.
awalterj: +1 for spreading the Gospel of GOG to the heathen masses
So far it's at 3,500 views. I wonder if they've made some sales off of the plug.

Unfortunately it didn't make it to the front page though.
Post edited August 28, 2014 by djdarko
grimwerk: Announce intent to remove games, see sales spike.
Later reintroduce games, see sales spike.

I'm not really suggesting GOG is this tricksy, but it's a cool experiment nonetheless.
Hopefully you are right.

Now on the pricing matter mentioned by both GOG and Nordic, I get the feeling Steam is to blame, why? Because on the long run with or without regional pricing the GOG versions might be cheaper than the Steam versions, so, Steam would start to bitch about favoritism, whicch is what Nordic might be trying to avoid, in the end, it might be Steam ruining our fun, just like with Fallout.
Ixamyakxim: can anyone comment on whether or not an adventure game newbie should pick up Black Mirror 1 and / or 2?
modkon: i
Hope that was somewhat helpful :)
Awesome that was a great writeup and I really appreciate you taking the time! That was exactly the sort of rundown I was hoping for - now time to figure out if I'm going to grab some games ;)
Post edited August 28, 2014 by Ixamyakxim
Shambhala: Some people have to pay really high conversion fees.
Edit: an example
LeonardoCornejo: It was either conversion fees or unfair prices or sacrificing games, you want no sacrifice at all man.
I'm fine with USD lock for some games, that's a compromise :)
LeonardoCornejo: It was either conversion fees or unfair prices or sacrificing games, you want no sacrifice at all man.
Shambhala: I'm fine with USD lock for some games, that's a compromise :)
Well, I appologize for misunderstanding, well, I still think unfair prices or losing games were the worst options out of those three, and GOG picked one that might be the worst.
Thank you so much for the links. There seems to be some consensus regarding gothic, freedom force, red faction, silver and spellforce.

P.S. Love your avatar!
P.S.S. This first part was a reply to Lemon Curry but I think I screwed up somehow.

Siegor: So, any classics on that 35 games list that are "must buys"? I'm looking at Gothic 3 and Freedom Force. Any suggestions will be more than welcome.
Wurzelkraft: Depends. What do you own already?
spellforce shadow wars here and amnesia and Penumbra on Steam (Don't hit me!)
Post edited August 28, 2014 by Siegor
Siegor: Thank you so much for the links. There seems to be some consensus regarding gothic, freedom force, red faction, silver and spellforce.

P.S. Love your avatar!
spellforce shadow wars here and amnesia and Penumbra on Steam (Don't hit me!)
Gothic 2, Guild Gold Edition, Desperados Wanted Dead or Alive, Silver. These are must-buys in my view. :)
After reading ThomNG's post here, I'm sorry to say that I really don't see how the removed titles could ever return here - unless GOG follows suit with how regional pricing/ conversion is usually done, or their other partners drop their regional pricing/ conversion model. And the former is far more likely to happen than the latter.
high rated
ktchong: Which is why I do not understand people who say they refuse to use Steam. Do they know how many games they are missing out?
Lemon_Curry: Yes and I also know that for this very reason I am one of the potential costumers the publishers of those games are missing out on.

In short, money is power because 'Money Makes the World Go Around' and as follows voting with your wallet empowers you as a consumer.
Well said. The indifference of consumers to anti-consumer practices is appalling. But with some folks it's apparently enough to dangle a sufficient quantity of shiny objects in order to overcome any qualms.